[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Operating System General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: linux-mac-windows.jpg (51KB, 983x368px) Image search: [Google]
linux-mac-windows.jpg
51KB, 983x368px
Let's talk about OS's. Personally I'm a windows user and a light linux user. I don't do any media production and I don't like the smell of shit so Mac is kind of out of the question but if you use mac feel free to interject.
So /g/ what made you chose your os?
Windows is pretty much a must have for my gaming rig but on my laptop it runs 1x10^100 times better on the ubuntu mate partition than the windows partition for just about everything.
>>
GNU
>>
I run Ubuntu on my main computer, but I also have a MBP, which I keep as a backup.

Honestly, I find GNU/Linux easier to use, from a programmer's perspective, as installing programs and libraries is a few commands away. Service administration with systemd is a breeze too. The adherence to standards is appealing to me as well, things like XDG or FHS.

OSX is ok too, it requires a bit of extra programs to run like GNU/Linux, like Homebrew, but it's an ok system, has great software support. I prefer GNU/Linux tho.

Unix-like systems are great overall.
>>
Funtoo for shitposting and coding
Windows 10 for games
>>
Linux Mint 18.1 on my laptop (T420), and Win10 in my gayming desktop.
Considering dual booting win10 and Linux in my desktop.
>>
>>61939096
I'm using GNU. I can't be bothered to fuck around with windows anymore. GNU is much easier to use and less of a pain desu. All games I want to play work there. And I don't do anything other than game, browse, communicate and watch series/movies and all of that just werks.
>>
>>61939096
Using GNU/Linux for my desktop and my personal computer. Don't do much gaming but so far so good with games like XCOM, Vampire The Masquerade, etc., and the free games are pretty cool.

I depend on my workstation to be reliable so having GNU/Linux is a must and can't have my system crashing. I do a lot of spreadsheets and other papers and people expect them to be on time.

I do gaming on Cyanogen/Lineage too, but my tablet is another working device.

I do have a thinkpad to tinker a bit, I need to be updated with current technologies for security reasons so I have Gentoo/Source Mage in there.
>>
>>61939337
i might as well. Linux is so much faster on that laptop i can't believe it. It's only a dual core processor but it behaves like my kabylake i5 in my desktop on linux. I can only imagine how much stronger my main rig would be if I put another partition or a 2nd flash drive for linux.
>>
Reminder to all dual booters who use HDDs that the 2nd OS you install (typically Linux) will work slower than the primary OS because HDDs have worse read times on the other layers of the disk. So if you split an HDD into two equal parts, one for each OS, the second OS will sometimes operate at a 30-50% worse speed.
>>
>>61939549
Holy shit if that distro gets any faster my nipples might become a glass cutting prop in the next mission impossible movie
>>
>>61939549
>not having a dedicated tiny partition for each OS and one large shared data partition

Retard.
>>
Windows 8.1.

More modern looking than 7, less botnet than 10.

Ubuntu-MATE otherwise.
>>
>>61939275
why funtoo
>>
>>61939592
It won't get much faster because all proper operating systems cache necessary services into RAM, so once you have everything up and running the speed will be identical. The only thing that will change are boot times and software launch times, or anything that requires writing to or reading from the disk.
You can benchmark your HDD to see in which sections it has the best speed and then make a partition there to install your OS (usually the first 10-20% of the disk). Obviously all should be done on an empty or non-fragmented disk.
Best thing to do would be isolate 10-20% of the disk for your OS (or multiple OSs) and use the remainder for cold storage (pictures, videos, documents, etc.).

>>61939676
I only have 1 OS installed. Don't need anything more than a single GNU/Linux.
>>
I'm a linux noob, and I currently am on Xubuntu after a brief stint with Fedora. I also have an Win8 machine only because I'm still figuring out how to get to the boot menu, otherwise I'd install Linux on that too. The only machine that will be windows is my windows 7 desktop that will run windows 7 until it stops being supported and then that will become a linux machine I learn how to get games working on. Xubuntu ressurected my old laptop I had all through highschool and was another family member's for four years. They didn't want it anymore so I took it off their hands, and now it's my daily driver. It will also be my college pc when starting school again.
>>
>>61939096
Mainly use Windows and use Linux on the side.

I really like most aspects of Linux, and if it got the same support for applications and drivers as Windows does, I'd probably use it exclusively.

One issue is that no DE runs as flawlessly as Windows' (and I assume Mac's) does, at the very least not one that I like. The closest I've come to a DE I actually like (and only do so because of extensions) is Gnome. Though it's still lacking in some areas.

Also fucking hate the middle-click to paste thing, it's pretty stupid.
>>
File: scout.png (157KB, 421x321px) Image search: [Google]
scout.png
157KB, 421x321px
>>61939096
>Ubuntu MATE on laptops
>Lubuntu or WinXP on ancient computers
>Windows 7 on my main system for gaymen
>>
>>61939757
>middle click to paste
You can change this, and other keyboard/mouse shortcuts in the settings. I don't think it's exclusive to GNOME since I've seen it before and I never used GNOME.
>>
Linux is now my main driver, but I have a laptop for gayman. Kind of want to dual boot the laptop but finding drivers for shit seems like a huge pain with laptops.
>>
>>61939757
Cinnamon is as close as you can get to Windows if that's what you're comfortable with.
>>
>>61939096
MBP for proprietary things, FreeBSD everywhere else (workstation, servers, build machines, CI machines...)
>>
>need to have 10yo+ old hardware to get everything work smoothly in BSD
The fug
>>
>>61939883
>using an operating system without ASLR
>>
What's a good distro that will actually teach me how to use linux while being as bug-free as possible? If I'm thrown into the deep-end, I'll probably just get frustrated and go back to wangblows but if I'm left to my self, I'll probably just dick around with the GUI until I realize I'm better off on windows
>>
I use Linux all the time because I disabled Windows Updates yet it takes 100% of my bandwidth for a couple hours every time I boot windows

Ubuntu 16.04 on i3, regretting hard because shit repos, wish I installed debian testing on KDE+Wayland (love i3 but screen tearing a shit and scrolling as well)
>>
>>61939592
>he doesn't know about custom initramfs and other tweaks
This is used in supercomputers for a reason
>>
>>61939927
OpenSUSE
>>
>>61939805
Yeah, I ment Linux overall, it's not exclusive to Gnome, worded it like shit. I can change it, but the functionality that Windows would have (i.e generally autoscroll) is disabled anyway.

>>61939846
I've gotten Gnome to be almost exactly as I want it. I really need icons only + display of multiple windows being open, aswell as hover to preview, aswell as a tray-bar.
>>
Hey, recently upgraded to win10, mainly because of directX 12. I've heard there's a bunch of spyware or some shit on it though. How big of a problem is this and is there a way of removing it?

Sorry for sounding absolutely retarded
>>
>>61940013
Can't be removed. DX12 is nothing special, Vulkan is where it's at. Your best bet would be using 7 or 8.1 if you want to "remove spyware", at least those two have less.
>>
>>61939887
What BSD are you trying to get working?

DragonflyBSD is the most bleeding edge BSD, for example it's intel igpu kernel driver code is from linux 4.7[1]

[1] https://www.dragonflybsd.org/release48/
>>
>>61939096
Linux on desktop
Linux on phone
Linux on server
Linux on home security system
Linux on cars
>>
>>61940240
Tryed NetBSD so far
>>
Don't fall for the "privacy" meme
it's functionality vs a placebo to feel like a hacker
>>
>>61939096
every OS is generally shit in some way.

>GNU/Linux
+ good package management built into most distros
- shitty, buggy GUIs preventing normies from ever adopting
- X11 is shit and everyone knows it
- wayland still has almost no support
- drivers can potentially be very VERY shit
- still no decent software for certain workflows (sound and video production)

>Windows
+ unrivaled software selection
- potential security nightmare, would not let grandma use
- 7 going to be usupported in 2020
- 10 never going to be usable
- absolutely shit package management, programs have to update themselves
- microsoft going to forcibly box everyone into UWP apps

>macOS
+ DPI scaling years ahead of any other OS
- mac hardware designed to break and be irreparable
- awful hardware support (hackintosh)
- input latency, mouse acceleration, requires third party hacks to fix
- vast majority of software is not free
- terrible blurry font rendering on standard DPI displays

>freeBSD
+ rock solid software
- reliant on linux emulation for desktop use
- generally poor hardware support

>TempleOS
+ actually this one is perfect
>>
>>61940752
>GNU/Linux
-no gayms

>Windows
-t e l e m e t r y

>macOS
+gay
-gay

>freeBSD
-who?

>TempleOS
+god uses it
+render tanks in your editor, play anywhere
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.