[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hit the GNU way or the highway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: GNU_c297a_450x450.png (72KB, 446x450px) Image search: [Google]
GNU_c297a_450x450.png
72KB, 446x450px
So I was just wondering, is it worth going full FOSStard or not, I got a pretty much open source workflow and have very few things that are proprietary. One of the main things I have is Discord and them faggots don't want to move to IRC.

Is it worth doing so? Idc if I have to spend more time configuring shit and whatnot, just really liking the idea of Open Source and not being a businesses bitch and being datamined.

>inb4 why you using 4chan faggot xdddd
>inb4 install gentoo
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
No open hardware
No opensource bios
Your ISP spying
Freedom is a dream
>>
>>61938357
Sure go ahead. You'd be restricted to tranyboot compatible machines and core 2 duo processors though.
>>
>>61938938
>>61938971
Of course you cant literally have everything Open Source. I'm just talking about software wise.
>>
>>61938357
>So I was just wondering, is it worth going full FOSStard or not
No. If the government or a sufficiently big corporation wants to track you, they will track you. Do you own a cell phone, even a dumb phone? Hardware backdoor. Do you use a CPU made in the last 10 years? Hardware backdoor. Do you use the internet at all? Your ISP monitors all your traffic. You can mitigate some of these things, but you cannot stop it entirely. Living in total freedom in the modern world is simply not possible unless you go fully off the grid. That's not to say you should sign up for every botnet and throw away all your personal information to anyone who asks, but it's pointless to sacrifice so much and go full RMS-tier freetard. You are being tracked and datamined no matter what. Welcome to the information age.
>>
>>61938357
No need to spend time configuring much if you pick the right tools. Is just that most people who go full GNU are paranoid about security and want to build their own distros or whatever, that is why most of us go for "source based distros" like gentoo or source mage.

But yeah, serious advantages like increased computer performance and rock solid stability comes with all this. Also the security is world champion.
>>
>>61938938
>>61939029
>ISP monitoring
Tor, GNUnet, and other encrypted networks can prevent this
>>
>>61939029
Yeah Im aware of the hardware side of shit. Should have specified in the post that I meant about software only. I know you cant live an open or free life...

>>61939089
I would go to Gentoo desu but drivers are holding me back because if a particular hobby I do and cant see any alternative for Gentoo.
>>
>>61939166
they literally cannot
>>
>>61939244
But they literally can?
>>
>>61938938
There are murderers on the loose.
May as well kill yourself.
>>
>>61939280
I'm not going to pretend I know exactly how it works, but any type of encryption you use still goes through your ISP and can be cracked. If they wanted to datamine your Tor browsing history they probably can.
>>
>>61939467
>encryption can be cracked
Yeah, maybe in 100 years.
>>
>>61938357
Install libreboot and GuixSD.
>>
>>61938357
Sounds like you've already got the low hanging fruit. Focus on your actual work instead of the tools.
>>
>>61939467
>but any type of encryption you use still goes through your ISP and can be cracked
get out of /g/ braindead moron
>>
>literally all freetard distros suck except for maybe parabola
>they expect complete casuals to be able to understand it
good job freetards

anyway, how come there's no canonical implementation of GNU yet
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.