[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought an SSD, whats the best way to transfer my existing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: SSD.jpg (9KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
SSD.jpg
9KB, 279x181px
Just bought an SSD,
whats the best way to transfer my existing OS over to the SSD but keep everything else on the harddrive?
>>
do a fresh install dumbass
>>
clonezilla.
>>
>>61922772
Can't you do dd?
>>
>>61922793
Why exactly would someone do that when you could just literally copy the filesystem and re-write the gpt / mbr?
>>
>>61922807

This, best way imo because clonezilla verify all images and you can backup it easily
>>
>>61922793
this
>>
>>61922772

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

Then gparted and resize the partitions. Or first resize the partitions and then migrate if your
new SSD is smaller than your old real man's hard drive.
>>
Which distro OP
>>
>>61922846
Because if you're on windows, you won't even get any benefit from the SSD, the filesystem will still be extremely fragmented and the effects of windows rot will be very apparent.
Linux doesn't have this issue, btw.
>>
>transfer my existing OS over to the SSD but keep everything else on the harddrive?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but it can probably be accomplished by a fresh install and setting the correct mount points, depending on how the HDD was partitioned.
>>
File: 1453040457493.jpg (1MB, 1680x946px) Image search: [Google]
1453040457493.jpg
1MB, 1680x946px
>>61922826
Probably a winfag.
>>
Has anyone ever tried AOMEI?
>>
>>61913110
It's a complicated process that involves partitioning your current hard disk into two, moving the non-OS files into the second partition, cloning the Windows partition to the SSD using Macrium Reflect (don't bother trying anything else if your SSD is smaller than your HDD, no, clonezilla doesn't work), then possibly needing to fix the Windows partition with a Windows installation disk (think bootrec etc).
>>
>>61923058
Too add on, since you'll most likely, fail, don't bother and just reinstall Windows.
>>
>>61923082
best advice anyones ever given me
>>
>>61922936
fragmentation doesnt affect ssds and most linux filesystems still have fragmentation
>>
>>61923352
linux filesystems don't fragment, especially not ext2 or later
they're not stuck in 1982
>>
>>61923372
Well, Linux systems CAN fragment, but it's barely measurable.

>>61922772
And just do a fresh install you chucklefuck. It's the best way to get the full benefit of the SSD.
>>
it's so much easier to do clean install. dd is ass cancer and you will wait 15 hours without even knowing if anything is happening. just do a clean install, especially if it's linux you're running. just copy your home folder to a thumbdrive you'll still have all your frog pictures
>>
>>61922772
install /g/entoo on your ssd
>>
>>61922772
dd
>>
>>61922772
Download some 3rd party partition cloner from a malware distributer like Sourceforge
>>
>>61922936
>windows doesn't know what ssds are

Builds after 7 automatically detect and update settings to optimize for ssds, idiot.
>>
>>61925130
Even Windows 7 does that post-SP1.
>>
>>61922969
Company of Heroes, what a good game.
>>
I have a 250GB ssd want to move clone all my contents to a larger SSD while also changing my cpu, gpu, motherboard to a complete different one, how would I do this without running into compatability issues? The drive that I want to clone contains all my prograns and os files. Don't want to format
>>
Throw that drive out, kingtrash into trash
>>
File: 1494378481315.png (487KB, 944x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494378481315.png
487KB, 944x720px
>>61926946
You may not want but you will need it.
>>
>>61927746
donno what you mean, but can you stop posting those dumb looking pictures, going sleep now (3:55am) so when I wake up I expect a solution. ta-ta
>>
>>61927779
The only solution is format.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.