[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this /ourdistro/? Also unironic opinions on Gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Row0px7n_400x400.png (101KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Row0px7n_400x400.png
101KB, 400x400px
Is this /ourdistro/?
Also unironic opinions on Gentoo
>>
It's a pretty good distro I run it on one of my servers but unfortunately they thought it was a great idea to have their package manager and tools run on top of fucking python instead of plain bash
>>
>>61920260
Yes.
>>
>>61920281
are you for real? I was going to give it a go today but there's no fucking way if that's the case.
>>
>>61920299
If you'd rather have a package manager/tools that don't run completely on top of python I'd recommend Source Mage Linux, I'm actually thinking of migrating my Gentoo server to it. I'd still recommend Gentoo before trying Source Mage since Gentoo's handbook has info that will be useful in Source Mage's install if you've never installed a source based distro before.(also Gentoo has a bigger userbase therefore more community support)
>>
>>61920260
>Is this /ourdistro/?
No. /g/ is too busy for it (need to constantly shitpost how strongly they hate SJW but still can't stop to use _put company name here_ products).
>Also unironic opinions on Gentoo
It's cool to use a distro that is doing something different for once. I like it but find it to be too time consuming.
>>
>>61920355
I'm trying to use void linux but it keeps corrupting and fucking up, looked into bsds but they fucking suck
>>
>>61920370
brainlet
>>
File: IMG_20170815_145534.jpg (116KB, 1135x518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_145534.jpg
116KB, 1135x518px
>>61920355
Pic related is my server. I don't happen to run that much of a customized Gentoo as in I don't have a different init system (I run openrc), but my use flags are really tuned for server usage.
>>
>>61920378
Also (Gentoo server guy here) if you can't install Void you're either a brainlet ( ie you can't fucking follow instructions) or you're just not ready for distros that don't do much hand holding.
>>
>>61920281
What is actually the problem with making the package manager in python? The only argument I know of is threading and modern python can do multiprocess.
>>
Gentoo had been deprecated by NixOS and GuixSD.
>>
>>61920432
I installed it fine, it just stops working after a day due to errors
>>
>>61920448
You can't use something like pip to do a system install of some package because it can fuck up Gentoo's stuff so you gotta keep on using virtualenv, whenever there's a major update to python chances are you will get some major fuck up and also the things you cited as well
>>
>>61920260
installed it a few days ago on my x230 and its pretty fun
>>
>>61920493
I just do user installs with pip, and even other distros you either want to use the system python packages OR pip, but not a mix. I've broken things on Arch and OpenSUSE trying that.
>>
>>61920454
Yeah, still trying to find time to install one of these bad boys. Are they still pre-alpha or you can actually use them as a daily driver?
>>
>>61920260
I don't know about /our/ but it is unironically /mydistro/

"Fell" for the meme about 3 months ago, but really only took me a day to understand what I was doing and this is honestly the best operating system I have ever used. Fastest, for sure.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.