[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vlg/ - Void Linux General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5

File: void.png (4KB, 379x262px) Image search: [Google]
void.png
4KB, 379x262px
/vlg/ - Void Linux General

Try out void today! Edition

This thread is for those who are interested in Void Linux, use it, need help with it or want to try it.

Benefits of using void:
>no systemd
>xbps package manager
>just works
>rolling release
>libreSSL instead of openSSL
>over 5000 packages and growing daily
>musl or glibc

>No systemd
Void Linux uses the runit init system and services supervision. It has the benefits of fast boot and shutdown times as well as simple and easy to write init scripts (in addition to having hundreds of pre-written ones).

>xbps
Powerful package manager with dependency resolution. If your desired software isn't in the repository, build it with xbps-src and consider adding it.

>website
www.voidlinux.eu

>FAQ
https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Frequently_Asked_Questions

>Installation
https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation

>IRC (irc.freenode.net)
#voidlinux - general chat and help channel
#xbps - development and package maintenance

>Contribute
Contribute packages, wiki entries, guides, &c. It already has a logo but there's plenty more to do as the distro is still in its early stages.
>>
>>61915214
>>>/fglt/
You sad should have been aborted idiot.
>>
>>61915214
>If your desired software isn't in the repository, build it with xbps-src and consider adding it.
How secure is its repos?
>>
>>61915298
not secure enough against the clintons
>>
>>61915214
>rolling release
you mean cancer?
>>
>>61915644
yeah this, rolling release just means that it constantly breaks
>>
>>61915627
install libreboot
>>
>>61915658
Whats the point of Linux if I don't need to constantly fix it?
>>
>>61915666
>repos not secure
>install bios replacement, that oughta help
you smoke pot?
>>
I tried to install it and when I tried to connect my laptop to the internet I kept on getting errors. So I just gave up and installed a fresh arch install.
>>
>>61915214
> >libreSSL instead of openSSL
Into the trash.
LibreSSL can't handle OpenVPN users creation.
>>
>>61915627
gtfo systemD shill. I hope op can answer me. I am seriously considering to switch to void.
>>
>>61915671
lol
>>
>>61915298
>>61915709
Every package is signed and checksum'd.

You can check the template file of each package and see the configure options, build instructions, where it pulls the source from (the developer website usually). Basically the repo builds the packages from source. You can do the same on your computer with xbps-src and bypass the repo and vet each package yourself, if security is your concern.

>>61915644
>>61915658
Each package is built by Travis CI and checked for errors. Only after the packages build without errors do the void maintainers merge the packages into the main repo. This ensures that the distro and packages rarely break. I haven't had a package or distro break for me yet.

>>61915680
What errors? You should have asked for help in the IRC. Now you have this general to ask questions. :)
>>
>>61915847
>t. someone who gets paid to copy paste this pre written shit
>>
I fucking love void, it's so good to escape the systemD botnet.
Meme apart, void is what Arch Linux should be with the KISS philosophy.
>>
>>61915859
>he thinks Void linux is backed by a corporation and can afford marketing
I'm just a regular void user, anon. I'd like to see more people use it because that means more and more up to date packages, more support, etc.

>>61915859
This. I like that it it's as close to a 'pure' Linux system as you can get without building LFS yourself. Arch and gentoo wikis apply to it and so do most linux guides.
>>
>>61915214
Not FSF-approved, sorry, but I ain't using (((proprietary software)))
>>
>>61916005
>I'm just a regular void user, anon. I'd like to see more people use it because that means more and more up to date packages, more support, etc.
>t. someone who gets paid to copy paste this pre written shit
>>
>>61915847
OK, I am live booting on void right now and it has default xfce session. How do I install it? I thought it has a GUI installer?
>>
always wanted to give it a try
now that i've built a new pc i can virtualize it, thanks for reminding me op
>>
>>61916050
Who hurt you? :(

>>61916135
It has a TUI installer. Run void-installer as root from the terminal emulator.
>>
>>61916050
Also,
>pre-written
I'm flattered. I wrote it just now. I will take that as a compliment. Thank you. :)
>>
>>61915214
I made this post in /fglt/ earlier
>>61915153

can anyone here help me?
>>
>>61916045
I guess it must be for similar reasons to Debian. Void has all free software out of the box, but I think it also has a non-free repo. Personally, I'm all good with the free software.
>>
>>61916311
Also, to expand on the alsa issue. I keep running into things without sound now. Just found a twitter video without working sound. Refreshing made the sound work, but then I scrolled too far, making twitter stop the video, and when I went to hit play again, I got no sound. Not sure what's happening there.
>>
>>61916319
>freedom
>shipping kernel blobs
Pick one
>>
>>61915214

Nice to see. Hoping that disgust with systemd is sufficient to sustain a few non systemd distros. inb4 make one yourself. Thank you, that is all.
>>
>>61915298
Better than Mint.
>>
What do you guys think of ReactOS?
>>
>>61915658
Not every distro with a rolling model is unstable. Arch is just really retarded with the rate at which they roll out new shit. Most maintainers test to see if their stuff works before packaging it.
>>
>>61915680
You don't need to use the official liveCD to install it. Just do a chroot install.
>>
>>61915859
Or maybe he just likes the distro and wants to be nice and help educate other people?
>>
>>61916050
>>61915859
>t. someone who gets paid by Microsoft to shit on GNU/Linux distros
I can do that too, anon. Who needs proof, anyways?
>>
File: smgl.png (16KB, 327x192px) Image search: [Google]
smgl.png
16KB, 327x192px
>>61915214
Void is for commoners.
Use Source Mage if you want to join the elite.
>>
>>61916045
You have to explicitly add the nonfree repository to use proprietary software. Don't worry, anon, you won't be steered to use proprietary software. Although you may have to build the kernel yourself.
>>
>>61916720
They're two totally different distros for totally different purposes. Tell me how to cross-compile with sorcery, and I might consider it.
>>
Why would I use this instead of Arch?
>>
>>61915214
>xbps package manager
how is it better than pacman?
>>
>>61916311
>>61916335
I can't help with xrandr because I don't use it and my alsa works out of the box. Right now I'm on vacation and away from my FiiO e10k usb amp/dac so I can't test USB audio right now. Although if you open alsamixer you can do F6 and then choose the soundcard you wish to control, maybe the output is muted.

I think I can help with your mpd problem. To have mpd run as a particular user you have to set the option in mpd.conf. How I set mine up is that I have mpd run as my user, rather than the default mpd user.

Relevant lines from my mpd.conf:
music_directory "/home/user/Music"
playlist_directory "/home/user/.mpd/playlists"
db_file "/home/user/.mpd/mpd.db"
pid_file "/home/user/.mpd/mpd.pid"
state_file "/home/user/.mpd/mpdstate"
user "user"

Where user is your username. You also need to create the ~/.mpd/ directory and create the files.
mkdir -p ~/.mpd
touch ~/.mpd/{playlists,mpd.db,mpd.pid,mpdstate}

You probably don't *need* to touch the files, but I've been doing it anyway and I haven't had problems.

To have it run at startup link the runit script into the /var/service directory.
ln -s /etc/sv/mpd /var/service/mpd
>>
>>61915214
does it have dpkg in it's repos?
my uni forces me to install .deb packages
>>
>>61915214
>>61915709
>>61915680
>>61916135
>>61915926
join my void linux community discord server :
discord*gg/FPcmby

switch * for .
>>
>>61916838
>does it have dpkg in it's repos?
Yes, it does.
>>
>>61916870
joined owo
>>
>>61916870
sent ;)
>>
>>61916964
sent what, anon?
>>
>>61915709
systemd*
>>
>>61916976
:D
>>
lol. https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/5850
>>
>>61915214
Does Void support the required packages for PCI passthrough via OVMF?

For reference
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF:
>>
>>61915214
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>61917003
>Github
Jesus, can't they at least set up their own bug/git site for packages
>>
>>61916870
you should feel bad for spreading that botnet cancer here
>>
>>61916728
>building the kernel
>on ARM

Think I'll stick to FSF-endorsed distros.
>>
>>61917037
go fuck yourself gnu shill
>>61917050
That's not even what I wanted to point out. There are 2 maintainers working on this, no more. They both barely do any work. This is my favourite example, Void has Plasma 5 fully ported to XBPS but the pull request for it is from February. Half a year and they haven't even commented on it.

They're taking to long to pull the port that it's already outdated by 2 versions.
>>
File: 1385170819767.png (199KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
1385170819767.png
199KB, 768x432px
>>61916788
>no replies
who woulda thunk
>>
>>61917091
>go fuck yourself gnu shill
why are you here faggot?
if you don't like gnu, you should be using alpine or freebsd
>>
>nobody uses Gabario
yall are fucked
>>
>>61917106
Void has official MUSL support, and Linux is an operating system by itself and GNU has nothing to do with it. GNU is replaceable, Linux isn't.
>>
>>61917003
It looks as though he forgot a template file for plasma-workspace-devel.

>>61917091
>Void has Plasma 5 fully ported to XBPS but the pull request for it is from February. Half a year and they haven't even commented on it.
>They're taking to long to pull the port that it's already outdated by 2 versions.
Most void users use a WM, rather than a DE. So having KDE5 isn't a priority. If more KDE users started using void it would get updated quicker.

Awesome wm, on the other hand, is the latest version (4.2).

>>61917060
>building the kernel
>on ARM
That's why xbps-src allows cross-compilation, so you can compile the kernel on your amd64 machine for ARM CPUs.

>>61916788
Do you see anything in the OP about xbps being better than other package managers? It's a good package manager that has dependency resolution, can remove orphaned packages, can build from source, watches out for conflicts, etc. Is it better or worse than pacman, who cares? The important thing is that it works.
>>
>>61917129
>impying you can't use GNU with different kernels
>what is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
Linux is replaceable, GNU isn't
>Linux is an operating system
>a kernel is an operating system
>>
>>61917169
>Do you see anything in the OP about xbps being better than other package managers? It's a good package manager that has dependency resolution, can remove orphaned packages, can build from source, watches out for conflicts, etc. Is it better or worse than pacman, who cares? The important thing is that it works.
so it has no advantages over pacman
why would I use void instead of arch then?
>>
>>61917195
>why would I use void instead of arch then?
I guess the lack of systemd is a selling point for a lot of people, me included. Other reasons would be its philosophy of simplicity, the runit init system and stability.
>>
>>61917169
>It looks as though he forgot a template file for plasma-workspace-devel.
No comments suggesting that and he did it in 3 separate PRs and linked them to the KDE5 issue. This makes it as complete as it can be.

>Most void users use a WM, rather than a DE. So having KDE5 isn't a priority. If more KDE users started using void it would get updated quicker.
Sure, use that excuse for your lazy maintainers who ignore any PR they aren't interested in.
What about this perfectly fine PR for japanese emacs users also from february? https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/5668
>>
>>61917169
>compiling on botnet CPU to remove botnets

Void Linux users! So fucking genius!
>>
>>61917180
> Linux is replaceable, GNU isn't
> What is FreeBSD
> What is MacOS
>>
>>61917248
>what is haiku
>what is plan 9
>what is minix 3
>>
>>61917258
Systems without GNU coreutils.
>>
>>61917258
>2017
>using a meme OS
>>
>>61917271
who says the native ones can't be replaced?
>>
>>61917240
You don't know what compiling means, do you?

>>61917238
>No comments suggesting that
You can click on the "Details" next to the travis ci report and then check the log:
=> ERROR: xbps-src: unexistent file: /void-packages/srcpkgs/plasma-work
>>
>>61917248
>what is windows
>>
>>61917283
Oops, butchered the paste:
=> ERROR: xbps-src: unexistent file: /void-packages/srcpkgs/plasma-workspace-devel/templatspace-devel/template
=> ERROR: kdeplasma-addons5-5.8.4_1: failed to transform dependency plasma-workspace-devel
>>
>>61917180
Yes, Linux is an operating system by the definition of an operating system. If you were to put GNU on FreeBSD, then you'd be using FreeBSD. There was one GNU operating system and it now has exactly a single dev. It doesn't have sound support and it might or might not fall in an endless loop on shutdown.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/operating+system
American Heritage:
>Software designed to control the hardware of a specific data-processing system in order to allow users and application programs to make use of it.
Collins:
>(Computer Science) the set of software that controls the overall operation of a computer system, typically by performing such tasks as memory allocation, job scheduling, and input/output control
The kernel isn't enough when you're talking about microkernels, obviously. Userspace filesystems would also be part of the operating system on Linux. But GNU libraries and applications sure as hell aren't.

Also GNU is an SJW piece of shit just trying to stay relevant with its shitty software by hurting other open source projects like llvm. It's controlled by a manchild.
>>
>>61917283
I do know, hence why I won't compile stuff on my own unless I can compare the output with others, that way insuring that no backdoors could sneak any unwanted instructions.
>>
>>61917299
Cancer

Begone! Shill!
>>
File: 0w0.jpg (114KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
0w0.jpg
114KB, 540x540px
>>61915214
why not gentoo?
>>
>>61917306
>Open Source©®™
>LLVM
>Hating on GNU

I see shilling FUD is actually a good job nowadays, eh? Keep sucking that corporate cock, shill.
>>
>>61917335
Because "muh hipster distro"
>>
>>61917232
What's wrong with systemd? Most distros use it, so I assume it's popular for a reason.
>>
>>61917306
>controlled by a manchild
You're unironically acting like one
>hurting other...
How hard did rms bully you anon? Be honest
>>
>>61917035
>>61917035
>Does Void support the required packages for PCI passthrough via OVMF?
>For reference
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
You can follow that guide pretty much to the letter, I don't see why it wouldn't work on Void as it uses kernel modules.

The packages qemu, libvirt, virt-manager are in the repos and you can see how to build OVMF here: https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/How-to-run-OVMF
>>
>>61917497
>The packages qemu, libvirt, virt-manager are in the repos
All I need to know. cheers fâm
>>
>>61916788
It emulates pacman in a few superficial ways, but it's really a totally different package manager.

https://github.com/voidlinux/xbps
>>
>>61916045
>>61916407
>limiting yourself based on ideals
I'm all for free software anon, but including non-free packages in your repository and allowing your users to install what they want is the type of choice Linux users have come to expect.

You're free to compile your own kernel without any non-free blobs and you don't have to enable the non-free repo. But to make your distro that much more difficult to use for many users only alienates people.
>>
>>61917248
What the fuck is this post even trying to convey?

GNU doesn't need Linux to run. It was simply ported to Linux a long time ago. Linux is interchangeable in the context of GNU.

That doesn't mean there aren't other operating systems out there.
>>
>>61917306
>>61917180
>>61917091
Jesus Christ dude. This is the Void general. Why are you shoving your bullshit down our throats?

Go and harass /fglt/ if you really have to shitpost about the GNU/Linux dichotomy. Not us.
>>
>>61918717
we are in charge
>>
Is Void easy to install? I'm coming from Mint and want something a bit different but I'm also a brainlet
>>
>>61918690
Then I'd have no reason to switch from Arch/Parabola if the lack of Systemd is the only improvement.
>>
>>61918749
Arch is for brainlets
the rest is explained in this post >>61916720
>>
>>61918749
Once you boot and log in just type
void-installer

then go through the menu, it's no harder to install then any other distro.

>>61918776
To each their own. :)
>>
File: 1475034633344.png (169KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475034633344.png
169KB, 1366x768px
Shit! I just installed arch and almost finished restoring my home folder.
>>
>>61919018
Just make a tarball and unpack that into the new install, if you must.

You could even install void from your arch install and just enter
tar cvpf - . | (cd /mnt/void/home/user/; tar xpf -) 
to make things quick.
>>
Void can't have /home/ mounted on a separated partition?
>>
>>61919527
Of course it can.
>>
>>61919577
Pretty sure it says you can't in the installer.
>>
>>61919603
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 50G 2.4G 48G 5% /
/dev/sda1 194M 52M 133M 29% /boot
/dev/sda5 181G 4.9G 176G 3% /home
>>
>>61918806
>having an installer
lol void is even more plebian than arch
>>
>>61919910
>he thinks copy-pasting from the wiki makes him a pro
>>
>>61918744
What? Can you please at least make sense?
>>
>>61919910
Pretty much every distro can be installed via chroot. Don't think you're special. Some people just find a live medium easier, which is why it's popular to do so.
>>
Bump. :)
>>
How is this better than Gentoo?
>>
>>61922126
it's not, it's a distro for dumb people trying to look cool
>>
>>61922280
>you have to be smart to waste your life reading documentation
lol
>>
>>61915214
>>musl or glibc
Why don't they go full musl already?
>>
>>61922482
Linux is about choice, anon.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.