[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Android OS with FULL access to external storage??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: sd card android.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sd card android.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
...So is there such thing?
The extensive Googling I've done would suggest that both CM and LineageOS still have fucked up SD Card rights.
I just upgraded from old Android 4 phone to new Android 7 model, and now my SD card, the main storage and soul of my mobile devices, is practically useless.

In case people have been living under a rock:
Google went and removed the chance of using SD cards in traditional way on Android phones after 4.4 update. This means that unless the Apps are given individual special permissions, they CANNOT store, or even necessarily access any kind of data on SD Cards.

Why's this a problem? Couple personal cases:
>Browse a lot of 4chan on the go, saving and sending pics and shit
>Don't want to bloat my phone's tiny memory, so always saved it all to SD card's folders
>Now literally cannot access said folders with web browsers

>Traveling in another country, taking tons of photos and videos
>Stock camera app has no real quality settings, meaning even 2 seconds of video takes dozens of megs now for no reason
>3rd party camera app does everything better and faster, but cannot save pics to SD card
>end up having to either manually, slooowly move 3rd party camera's files to SD card with File Manager app, or use the stock, bloaty camera application when the memory runs out.

The ONLY official options given for this shit are:
1) "Adapt" the SD card as part of internal memory, which encrypts the card and makes it useless on any other device for all eternity (not good)
2) Keep it as "mounted" external, but the above issues keep happening, and the few exceptional apps with limited rights to SD cards can ONLY save to unique folders created just for them. Which are also REMOVED if the App itself is uninstalled.

Besides all that, I've tried tons of unofficial tricks, such as:
>rooted and used number of "SD Fixer" app solutions
>edited platform.xml to have ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permissions

Nothing has worked.
>>
>>61909819
>Browse a lot of 4chan on the go, saving and sending pics and shit
Dashchan writes shit to SD just fine, it's just Floens being retarded.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170814-223551.png (73KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170814-223551.png
73KB, 720x1280px
>>61909850
Pic related, I'm on 6.0 but I don't think they messed with the SD permissions on 7.0
>>
>>61909906
>>61909850
Guess I gotta try that.
Been on UC Browser and Dolphin Browser so far, as they're the two Android net browsers I know that let you CHOOSE where to save your files when downloading stuff.

However, both now notify me that "selected folder cannot be chosen because of Android policies" when trying to choose my old Downloads folders, resulting the default remaining in the Internal storage OR the tiny folder of the app itself.
>>
>>61909966
Yeah, I noticed some apps are behaving strange towards SDs, but I don't get it since Dashchan can store things just fine.
Also, have you tried creating a symlink to the SD folder? I used to that on my old low storage 4.4.4 phone, you need root and FolderMount (there is a foss equivalent but I don't recall its name).
>>
>>61909819
You really don't want this. Even SDXC cards can't support sustained R/W operations worth a damn. Also certain brands of SD cards will simply fail to be integrated as adaptable storage.
>>
>>61910083
It seems that App devs have been able to apply for special permissions for card access straight from Google, but they seem to be very picky about who gets access and not. Even LineageOS's major updates seem to mostly add more Apps that can access external storage.

I've seen mentions about various auto-sync options that practically copy stuff from Internal to External, but I have not tried any in practice.
Would rather find a solid, permanent solution to this crap so I don't need to hunt down an obsolete telephone in the future.

I'm very surprised and annoyed how little there is information about this.
>>
>>61910124
>Even SDXC cards can't support sustained R/W operations worth a damn
My 16GB card has worked just fine since summer of 2010, and it's more about the important data being OFF the phone itself at all times.

>Also certain brands of SD cards will simply fail to be integrated as adaptable storage.
That's exactly what I'm trying to AVOID here:
no adopting anything, just accessing, browsing, reading and writing in and out of SD card, like I've done for a decade with my previous phones.
>>
>>61909819
you can revert that commit
>>
>>61910155
If that's you want then your only real choice is cloudfaggotry or manual transfers to decktop by this point.
>>
>>61910199
Yeah, not gonna happen.
Jesus fuck, whose cock do I need to suck to get a sensible Android OS again?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.