[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As an engineer, I simply don't have time to learn any more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 31rVfUDNahL.jpg (15KB, 341x500px) Image search: [Google]
31rVfUDNahL.jpg
15KB, 341x500px
As an engineer, I simply don't have time to learn any more than necessary.

I'm tired of google maps taking so long to pull up, and auto-zooming to street level when all I want is a simplified line drawing that shows real time traffic data on the major highways.

What do I need to learn programming-wise to make a desktop widget that does that?
>>
Android? IIRC there's a widget called "Traffic (shortcut)" which you can place. Tapping it brings up a simplified line drawing with real time traffic on surrounding main arteries.
>>
>>61900329
>What do I need to learn programming-wise to make a desktop widget that does that?
that's not important. do you have a source for the real time traffic data that you could use?
>>
>>61900329
>As an engineer, I simply don't have time to learn any more than necessary.
you will fail as an engineer with this attitude

>What do I need to learn programming-wise to make a desktop widget that does that?
electron + google maps api, or bing maps, or openstreetmap, or mapbox, or leaflet, or umap
>>
This level of faggottory is only possible from an "engineer"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahahahaha
>>
>>61900373

Google maps doesn't have an API? I figured it would be as simple as:

Google maps allows you to grab some piece of data about traffic from a point on the road (Slow, normal, fast/ red, yellow, green). Take 20-25 of these points representing major areas of the highways, plot to a graphical interpretation as a series of red/ yellow/ green dots.

>>61900390
>>61900494

I have a crappy job, where I have to do everything technical required at the plant and company level. I have no help, so I really don't have time for much more than putting out fires. This is a personal project though.
>>
>>61900531
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-traffic
it does. so you can just pack this into an electron app I guess
>>
>>61900531
>>61901329
BUT I don't think you can actually get the raw traffic data like you said
>>
>>61900531
>>61901329
>>61901346
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4600656/access-googles-traffic-data-through-a-web-service/6245718#6245718
>UPDATE (March 2016): A lot has happened since this answer was written in 2011, but the core points appear to hold up: You won't find raw traffic data in free API services (at least not for the U.S., and probably not most other places). But if you don't mind paying a bit and/or if you just need things like "travel time for a specific route taking traffic into consideration" you have options. @Anto's answer, for example, points to Google's Maps For Work as a paid API service that allows you to get travel times taking traffic into consideration.
yeah, so in the end getting the data is the harder part, not programming. just as I though
>>
File: fuck this.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>61900329

how can you tell when you are talking to an engineer?

don't worry, they'll tell you.
>>
>>61900329
s/engineer/lazy consumer

> What do I need to learn programming-wise to make a desktop widget that does that?
One of the supported programming or scripting languages with all the usual stuff you need to know, algorithm and data structures basics, various practical details of operating an IDE and debugger and maybe CI and version control (just the supporting tools that make doing good work actually faster overall), and some more.

Can be learned to a degree where you can do a reasonable job in a few hundred hours, and a few thousand to ten thousand hours to do a great job.
>>
>>61900329
>As an engineer
>Learning is hard
4chan is an 18+ website, son.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.