[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just tried out freebsd, openbsd, trueos, and ghost bsd. Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Bsd_daemon.jpg (26KB, 150x158px) Image search: [Google]
Bsd_daemon.jpg
26KB, 150x158px
I just tried out freebsd, openbsd, trueos, and ghost bsd. Why do they all suck so much? I'm sticking with Arch.
>>
>>61900005
If BSD for you sucks, then it's because you either have no need to run it or simply don't understand it
>>
>>61900078
TrueOS and GhostBSD simply don't work worth a shit besides on select few hardware.
>>
Because you didn't try out Dragonfly BSD
>>
>>61900005
[spoiler]*BSD* sucks[/spoiler]
>>
install cloveros
>>
>>61902305
Go back to >>>/v/
>>
>ghostbsd
>try 10 stable with MATE
>works okay, let it update, breaks itself

>try 11 alpha
>mate version wont boot
>xfce4 version installer just crashes, but not before just hanging at login several times and wiping my previous install

>trueOS
>barely works
>will flat out fail to install on many machines
>unstable and pretty much unsable due to it kernel panicing when you try to perform tasks like switching drivers
>load intel driver, kernel panic
>ati driver, kernel panic
>stock applications mostly just don't work

>freebsd
>try to install version 10
>it kernel panics because of my wlan driver

>bsd at all
>10 year old packages, shitty userland, long boot times
>>
>>61900000
>>
ghostbsd and trueos (pcbsd) are shit. use openbsd for servers, netbsd for misc/embedded hardware, freebsd for desktop, and pfsense for routers, dragonflybsd for fun.
>im sticking with arch
enjoy systemd botnet.
>>
>>61902021
So it's pretty simple: look up what hardware you need before trying running it :)
Same would apply to every OS: 20 years ago if you had an Apple you would have payed attention to what hardware you bought due to compatibility, I don't see why it shouldn't be done now
>>
>>61902731
Just buy a playstation.
It's the only version of bsd worth a pinch of shit.
>>
>>61902767
>obtain hardware to fit your OS, not the other way around
You fucking moron.
>>
>>61903441
I believe you misunderstood my point... i wasn't saying that you should run on old hardware at all.
However if you fancy to try one of the minor operating systems either you go with a VM or you have to have supported hardware.
I for example love to play around with Haiku but I keep it in a VM and problem solved. Same thing if you're approaching BSD: put it in a VM first and when you know it well and you can choose whether to use it as a daily driver then buy the working hardware for it.
>>
>>61900005
Why do you think they suck? What is there to improve? Try to say something constructive instead of mindlessly complaining.
>>
>>61903441
Well if you want to use an OS, you need hardware it supports. Just like if you want to use hardware, you need an OS it supports.
>>
>>61902559
Fuck off shill, BSD often has more up to date packages than GNU/Linux.
>>
BSD is nice for a simple server or desktop / laptop, if you have the right hardware and don't mind to set it up from scratch.

Otherwise stick to GNU/Linux / Windows / Apple.
>>
>>61904912
Lying is futile.
>>
>>61905030
It actually does, but some don't work at all. The difference is how much these up to date packages work. We need to work on that part, not just the number as some would argue...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.