[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>firefox 55 x64 >one night with 10 tabs open Firefox is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: combined.jpg (140KB, 677x513px) Image search: [Google]
combined.jpg
140KB, 677x513px
>firefox 55 x64
>one night with 10 tabs open

Firefox is using less memory, they said.

Does anyone knows what "unused-gc-things" is and why is accumulating so much shit?

Is it garbage collector? Why is not being erased? Even clicking on "free memory from GC" in about:memory does nothing.

Can be something in my about:config?

Help, please.
>>
>>61899859
>firefox
found your problem
>>
This is why I switched to chrome like 4 years ago. Firefox had perpetual memory leaks that seemingly everyone would claim didn't exist (or were somehow my fault lol) and after a full day of browsing it would start taking up around 4GB of memory and 30%+ CPU until crashing. After restarting from the crash, it would work well until the usual timeframe passed again, rinse and repeat.

If that shit is still going on, I'll never go back even though I really want to stop using chrome.
>>
File: ss-2017-08-14-15-56-25.png (7KB, 265x53px) Image search: [Google]
ss-2017-08-14-15-56-25.png
7KB, 265x53px
works on my firefox 57
>>
>>61900183
>Firefox had perpetual memory leaks that seemingly everyone would claim didn't exist
muh addons leaking memory and not failurefox
muh unused ram is wasted ram
>start firefox
>eats up to 2 GB and never crashes
>update to multiprocess cancer
>eats up memory until either Windows kills it or it fails to allocate memory and crashes all by itself
I mean threads were created because just doing everything multiprocessor is fucking retarded. Why the fuck are web browsers regressing to inferior technology?
>>
>>61900231
works fine on gnu/linux. maybe it's a winblows problem

>I mean threads were created because just doing everything multiprocessor is fucking retarded. they're not. it immensely improved the responsiveness of chrome and the new ff
>>
>>61900269
Learn how to greentext.
>they're not. it immensely improved the responsiveness of chrome and the new ff
It's a crutch for bad programmers to isolate resources. If the programmers were able to utilize the threads properly then it would be objectively superior due to lower memory and CPU overhead. Keep on with your ignorance though.
>>
>>61900231
fucking this !
i can terminate thread just fine if i need to. why the fuck would i want to waste resources and have lower performance using processes?!? fucking buzzwords...
>>
i switched from firefox to ungoogled chromium because firefox would not stop eating memory untill it would crash my pc
>>
>>61900799
>update to firefox 55
>open up firefox
>eats 350mb of ram
>open 6 pol shitstorm threads with over 200 replies
>eats 1.3gb of ram
>close them
>still eats over 1gb of ram
that's exactly why i have chromium
>>
>>61900231
I don't use addons, not even adblock. And the "unused ram is wasted" meme needs to fucking die. That's not how it works.

Using 4GB+ ram with 6-8 average-sized webpages is a memory leak, not "using available memory". It's a memory leak because it's memory trapped by the process that isn't being used anymore but isn't being released as it should when no longer necessary. The more memory being used is more handwaving the OS has to do to manage it in relation to other processes. It slows down the system as a whole.

tl;dr you're all retarded
>>
>>61901383
>I don't use addons, not even adblock
>doesn't use umatrix or even ublock origin
>complains about ram usage
You're 50 years too early to be using the Internet, little boy.
>>
I don't know what you're doing but usually excessive memory usage is caused by addons and occasionally javascript heavy webpages. If you have forced the memory to be cleared through about:memory and it still persists you may have a leak. Clear out all of the tabs and try clearing again. Then reload the sites and try to figure out which one is causing the leak. It might be helpful to tell Mozilla about it if you can
>>
Are these furfags serious??
>>
>>61901717
>it's actually real
how did firefox turn into this?
>>
>>61901717
With e10s/multiprocess firefox should do this automatically. When all of the tabs under a process are closed the process is supposed to close as well and free up the memory. It's still possible for the main process to leak memory though so your actual results may vary.
>>
>>61900183
That's basically why i stopped to use Gnome3, i had a script that rotated wallpapers every x minutes, at the end of the day i had all my ram full because gnome cached every image thinking it was unique because their internals renamed the image on every rotation.
>>
I actually had the same kind of shit happen recently, OP. Hadn't tried Firefox in a while, so I downloaded Firefox 55, installed my usual extensions (uBlock and a few others), left maybe 6 tabs open overnight, woke up to Firefox using like 8GB RAM.

I'd really like to move away from Chromium based browsers but apparently Firefox devs are pants-on-head retarded.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.