[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I choose Arch over Debian, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: 1434461032704.png (18KB, 170x191px) Image search: [Google]
1434461032704.png
18KB, 170x191px
>>
why can't you think for yourself ?
>>
I am currently using Debian, just coming from Arch:

>pacman, aur

and that's it. That's the only advantage arch has, and it isn't that superb. It's good, yes, but not long miles distant from the others.

the downside is that arch is a ricing-magnet. You'll probably spend less time doing what should be done and more time making it look neat because arch is the ricer's choice and you have to resiste greatly in order not to be swallowed by the eggregore.
>>
>>61899544
Why are you so autistic you feel the need to give a useless reply?
>>
>>61899561
>aur
i wouldn't call that an advantage, it's really bad practice to use anything other than the official repositories

the biggest issue with arch is it's community, for some reason it attracts retards who know shit about what they are doing (which includes 99% of the ricers)
>>
Debian isn't usable, unless you go debian unstable. The package manager is kinda dumb, if you like to remove packages for minimalism sake, beware it might destroy your system.

Well, anyway you're fine both are decent options.
>>
>>61900772
>stable distro with older packages is unusable
>laughing_girls.gif
>>
>>61900772
>if you like to remove packages for minimalism sake
but that's a dumb and unnecessary thing to do
>>
>>61899530
If you're going to work in IT with Linux, Debian can give you a more valuable experience.
>>
>>61899530
The arch wiki is godlike.
Aur saved me a lot of hassle that sometimes the availability of a .deb package would have solved, but not always.
I've not tried debian for a long time but the old ass packages can be annoying in some cases.
>>
>>61901012
>but that's a dumb and unnecessary thing to do
poo
>>
you shouldn't
>>
>>61899530
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Arch, and Gentoo are the only four that actually matter.
>>
Use both at the same time, problem solved.
>>
>>61899588
useless question
useless reply
Nothing wrong here
>>
>>61899561
>That's the only advantage arch has
Well Arch is good for newer systems like Ryzen builds.
I was running Debian Stretch (Stable) with a 4.11.0 kernel and kept getting freezes with my Ryzen 5 CPU.
Switching to Arch seems to fix that issue.
Obviously if a user wanted to use the Testing builds of Debian this might not be an issue.

Arch also has less bloat that would take some time to remove (like those games Debians packs in and stuff)
>>
>>61900772
>debian isn't usable
Oh no, the latest mpv doesn't come in the default repo! What can I do?! This is unusable!
>>
>>61901238
The 1st 2 matter because they should be avoided.
>>
>>61902557
Ah the less bloat meme
>>
>>61902557
Because Debians developers went and released an unfinished version of the install
>>
>>61901057
Bullshit, it's doesn't matter.
>>
hahaha distros amirite
>>
>>61902677
*it
>>
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
>>
>>61902632
You probably doesn't use debian stable.

Anyway if the OP want bleeding edge (Arch vs Debian thread zzz), doesn't even make sense to use debian stable and compile every single package.
>>
stable is the only version the debian security team covers.
testing and ustable....nope.
If there's non-critical stuff you want the bleeding edge version of, see >>61902957
>>
>>61902187
Not satisfied with showing your autism, you also feel the need to sperg some more.
>>
>>61899588
>autistic
>>61903478
>autism
Seems like this is your favorite word.
>>
>>61903561
>favorite word
>they are literally two distinct words
>>
>>61903758
Nice strawman
Correction:
Seems like this is your favorite Lexeme
>>
>>61899530
>informative wiki
>pacman
>>
>>61902957
What I do is either grab the source .deb from unstable and compile/install it (that limits the amount of dependencies I have to grab from unstable, as it's using my stable libraries to compile) or just compile from upstream source and install in /usr/local.
>>
>>61899588
No, but seriously, why can't you think for yourself?
>>
>>61899530
because you're autistic and don't have a real job
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (213KB, 1200x897px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
213KB, 1200x897px
>>61903966
>unironically using fallacies
>>
>>61904811
I hope your using checkinstall then.
>>
>>61905743
or debuild
or dpkg-deb --build
>>
>>61899530
Arch is good if you actually want to maintain your system and have very easy access to a gigantic amount of software via the air.

If you want things to WERK (TM) you want Debian.
>>
>>61905992

No if you want things to werk you install Manjaro
>>
>>61906037
I have run Manjaro for quite a while and had to do a lot of fixing after most updated.

Although I would call it a middle ground it is nowhere near Debian stable.
>>
>>61899561
I use antergos (arch) because i had hardware problems on stable kernel. And now when i reinstall i just stick with antergos (even if stable kernel now support my hardware)

and when i "rice" my setup its only built in dark KDE theme and taskbar on top
>>
>>61905710
You used the fallacie, i mentioned it :-)
>>
in my IT courses every book describes debian as a server distribution, and not good for normal users. Why does /g/ have to be so contrarian? I know most of you faggots aren't power users.
>>
>>61906082
doesn't manjaro now have an update setting that says something like don't break my shit? so it only updates those things tested and known not to break shit? I swear I saw that as an option somewhere when I was distrohopping
>>
>>61907578
What's a good distribution for "normal users", in your opinion?
>>
>>61902642
bsd's OSS is a far superior sound system to the garbage that is ALSA + Pulse. literal fucking garbage that is a perfect fit for systemd faggots like yourself. enjoy your pleb audio lmao
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.