[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 35

File: moognu.gif (7KB, 184x84px) Image search: [Google]
moognu.gif
7KB, 184x84px
Previous thread: >>61873132

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Is yaourt a meme or should I use it?
>>
>>61896880
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table
>>
>>61897031
Oh cool, thanks.
>>
I read everywhere that the GCC -O3 optimization level can actually slow down the system because of memory usage and stuff. Did the colverOS developers fell for the -O3 meme or these advices on not using it are obsolete?
>>
File: 1499545179029.jpg (337KB, 806x938px) Image search: [Google]
1499545179029.jpg
337KB, 806x938px
Thoughts?
>>
>>61896807
Why a piece of toast instead of poptart?

>>61897743
colonOS is all about the memes my friend
>>
>>61897875
>rms
>on google+
pick 1
>>
>>61897875

Honestly, it's just retard wingnuts and lolberts who are triggered by the GNU/Linux word usage because muh fsf commiez. I'm a regular on /leftypol/, they don't even have a grasp of what they are saying. Red scare has gone too far in kekistan. They are seeing ghosts. Just as it was described in the communist manifesto ( which is REALLY cringy BTW ). This is the same as the "sjwfox" meme. Who the fuck cares about the developer's political opinions? It's the actual code that matters.

You should note the following:

> I doubt that either Linus or rms has a google+
account.
> there is Alpine Linux which is a linux without most of the GNU.
> last time I checked it, linux was a kernel, since it doesn't have the pathetic feature creep as systemD
> you are on fucking /fglt/, not /flt/
>>
>>61898007
>> I doubt that Linus has a google+
https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds
>>
>>61898007
way to inject your retarded politcal opinions into something that has nothing to do with politics
>>
>>61896807
>try installing abstergo
>weird pink shit comes up on screen
>looks like a display error
>turn off PC
>try to boot windows
>error: device does not exist
>no idea what to do in grub rescue, no help command
Fick you guys. I'm stuck posting this from my phone right now. I've used a windows repair disc but it doesn't work, it always claims to have fixed the issue when it clearly hasn't.
>>
File: tanky.jpg (218KB, 540x1030px) Image search: [Google]
tanky.jpg
218KB, 540x1030px
>>61898099
> /b/
I think you mistyped. Probably i3 is the most popular WM. If you just want a lean WM without a steep learning curve, choose a stacking WM:
> pekwm
> openbox
> fluxbox
> fvwm
> whatever you find on wikipedia's or arch wiki's list or in the package manager and it says it's stacking

If you are more adventurous, you can try a tiling WM.
> xmonad
> awesome
> there are a LOT others because it's really easy to write one

>>61898117

Thanks for pointing that out.

>>61898181

I got there to laugh at them, but whatever. They are better shitposters than the jewtel vs ayymd memers or /pol/. Pic related.
>>
>>61898235
do you have autism?
>>
>>61898308
rhetorical question
>>
>>61898235
>I got there to laugh at them
>They are better shitposters
kys, kid
>>
>>61898329
no im geniunely curious i think you need help
>>
>>61898392
The drawbacks can be lessened by therapy, but that just improves social skills. These things aren't caused by autism, this is just me. Learning how to trigger people and then play catch-and-release. It's easiest to bait with politics.
>>
Hi, /fglt/.

Quick question. How do I view the output of openRC from shell? I keep reading the manual, but for the love of God, I can't fucking find out how, and I can't remember the command.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>61897875
So fake it's not even worth mentioning.
>>
File: 1372888621909.jpg (498KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1372888621909.jpg
498KB, 1920x1920px
>>61897875
>/g/ trolling G+.
Good times.
>>
For some reason xorg will not start when I use the noveau driver with my gtx 1060.
>>
>>61898117
i wonder why jewgle plus is so popular around those open source people
arent there better places?
>tfw pottering has an account too https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly
>>
>>61899004
Check the Arch wiki. Best place for troubleshooting problems.
>>
File: 1485632863174.png (51KB, 450x524px) Image search: [Google]
1485632863174.png
51KB, 450x524px
Can someone retard-friendly explane the difference between this and other distros? I heard NixOS is simliar.
>>
>>61899104
-it uses Linux-libre
-it uses GNU shepherd (formerly known as dmd), an init system developed by GNU. It's a lot different from systemd or sysvinit.
-it uses the guix package manager, it's a lot different from apt, rpm or other popular package management software.
>>
Recommend me a nice tiling wm which isn't the usual suspects like i3.
>>
File: 2f0.jpg (226KB, 560x577px) Image search: [Google]
2f0.jpg
226KB, 560x577px
>tfw /flt/ just died
>>
In case someone needs some RMS papes:
>>61899118
>>
File: steamuserimagesa.akamaihd.jpg (46KB, 288x358px) Image search: [Google]
steamuserimagesa.akamaihd.jpg
46KB, 288x358px
What's a good Distro and DE for an old 10.1" netbook with an intel atom N270 (1.6Ghz single core) and 1GB RAM?
Thinking of Xubuntu or Manjaro with XFCE
>>
>>61899750
H-hey Maki, I think Lubuntu or some other LXDE distro would be lighter. Even lighter would be a WM without a DE like dwm or i3
>>
Mint gets stuck when I shut it down.
The logo screen dots just stop moving and I have to hold the power button down for it to turn off.

Any anon have any tips?
>>
Why does this work

find . -type f -iname "*.flac" -or "*.mp3"

but this doesn't delete the files?

find . -type f -iname "*.flac" -or "*.mp3" -delete

It works fine when I do flac and mp3 separately
>>
>>61899939
try adding a second -delete before the -or
>>
>>61899939
find . -type f -iregex '.*flac\|.*mp3'
>>
>tfw you replace Ubuntu with Arch, a 160GB HDD with a 240GB SSD and 4GB RAM with 8GB RAM on your 10 year-old laptop
>tfw it's so much faster but all you can do is open a terminal
>>
>>61900242
>filename
Terminal is all you need.
>>
>>61896807
I'm trying to install a GNU/Linux distro but this unshrinkable partition is stopping me from doing so.
>inb4 windows
Yes. I'm keeping windows ONLY bcause I got locked out after removing my cmos batt of my laptop once. Theres a posibility it'll brick once I remove this pajeetdows 8 OS.
>it actually reflashed my /boot partition and had to regenerate my grub but before that
>couldn't disable secureboot to boot via USB and fucking had to login to this crappy win8 and shift+restart windows 8 to allow it to be disabled in my bios settings
What happened:
>uefi "security" greys out secureboot&usb-boot then reflashes my /dev/sdBoot partition into a non-linux snapshot (via that fix boot fs shit) OR probably deleted all boot entries except windows(tm) or uefi signed OSes >during cmos batt removal <--- fucking fuck you and your shitty efi backdoor, HP, MS, et. al.
What happens if windows 8 was deleted before it happend:
>the computer will be secureboot locked and will no longer boot legacy iso.
>usb boot will be greyed out and disabled
>secureboot is enabled and greyed out preventing installation of non-signed OSes
>any linux or third party entry in the boot partition will be removed

Long story short I can't shrink this NTFShit partition of a non-system drive (no system32 installed in it).
I've already tried the following:
>disabling hibernation
>disabling pagefile
>disabling startup programs from this partition
>changing drive letter

This $LogFile doesn't even go away and it just sits right there in the middle of free space no matter how much I optimize my disk fragmentation even with boot-time/offline defrag.

Should I force shrink it with linux partition managers?
Most of these files are probably windows superhidden-noaccess metadata since neither of my file managers have the permission view these shit no matter how hard I try (it says that the blocks contain file system service data).
>>
what's the best book to learn gnu/linux OS in-depth?
>>
>>61899150
Not that anon but does GuixSD provide binaries for packages like palemoon? ..and does it allow me to use non-GNU packages (like vmware)
>>
Do you guys use shit like vimperator? How do I browse without a mouse
>>
>>61901069
>binary packages like palememe
probably don't, but you can always download it from palemoon.org, unpack it and run it.
>use non-GNU packages like vmware
1. a gnu/linux system is full with non-GNU software. xfce, kde, vim, mpv, firefox are all included in most distros.
2. technically you should be able to run vmware, but it's non-free software so don't use it. Use Virtualbox or qemu (with optional virt-manager gui).

>>61901007
From windows try it with EASEUS free partition manager. It will reboot your system and do the resize after booting but before you see the desktop.
>>
>>61901011
Install Gentoo
(try the live dvd and read the pdf inside of it then ^)
>>
File: Capture.png (26KB, 532x426px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26KB, 532x426px
>>61901090
>How do I browse without a mouse
With hint mode. It's not going to work too great with hover-based JS or super tight packed links like desktop 4chan, but overall it's pretty comfy.

I prefer VimFX because Vimperator's numerical hints are retarded.
>>
>>61901240
I'll give it a shot. is this pdf located in an specific folder? what's its exact name? thx
>>
What's a good program for taking screenshots? The default one for xfce gets the job done but I don't like it.
>>
>>61901630
scrot
>>
>>61901735
thanks but my grandson will be using it too. maybe one with more concern given to the name?
>>
>>61901808
it's typically just run by binding it to a key/combination
i personally just bind it to prtscr (print screen, the same button used in windows)
you need not actually type out scrot, and you can always make a nicer alias if you like as well
>>
>>61901942
also note: it's not a graphical program, so it won't be visible at all if run with a key binding
>>
>>61901959
>>61901942
yeah I just installed it and have scrot -e 'mv $f ~/Downloads/' -q 100
bound to prtscr. thanks.
>>
should I try a HURD distro?
>>
>>61902159
I also lied about having a grandson.
>>
Do my eyes deceive me? I installed Debian on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop Debian looks great out of the box and there's no need to tinker with it. However I can't say the same about desktop install. Fonts are all over the place and everything generally looks ugly. My laptop is 1600x900 and desktop 1920x1080 if that matters.
>>
File: 1476854696245.jpg (63KB, 452x536px) Image search: [Google]
1476854696245.jpg
63KB, 452x536px
>>61902159
>ust installed it and have scrot -e 'mv $f ~/Downloads/' -q 100
>>
>>61899939
-name this -or -name that
> -iname is also returning upper case filetype extensions (.FLAC .Mp3)
>>
>>61901011
LFS
>>
>>61902241
You can't blame the noobs; the manpage just has a bad example.
>>
>>61902159
np
i also have two other scrot keybinds, alt+prtscr uses "-bu" to screenshot just the current window, and ctrl+prtscr uses "-s" which lets me select a box with my mouse, to capture an abitrary cropping of the screen directly
think about how you use screenshots, there may me additional useful things you can automate/make simpler
>>
>>61902241
it takes the highest quality png and put's it in the directory I want. what's the problem? am I being detained?
>>
>>61901630
import
>>
>>61901090
>>61901296
I use PgUp and PgDn keys, and my thinkpad's clitmouse when selecting links. Works well for pages with a lot of text (i.e. worthwhile ones) and saves battery because the browser doesn't have to scroll the page all the time. I read a page from top to bottom and then scroll one page down.
If I didn't have the clitmouse I'd probably want something like vimperator though
>>
>>61897875

>he just discovered that

Remove yourself from this thread. That way you can spare anyone your idiocy. You also need to be at least 18 or have your mum's permission to use this website.
>>
>>61901296

VimFX will die soon. I don't want to use Vimium (or whatever that other addon is called), but I guess that's the only refuge for it.
>>
>>61901416
It's the manual for installing gentoo and IIRC there's also another one about the linux kernel itself.

>>61901174
Oh. thanks btw. I might give it a try once I figure out how to make an installer
>>
>>61902264

You don't need the -e mv part.
>>
Which is more user friendly - Mint or Ubuntu? Babbies first install and I just want something to ease me into Linux before moving onto something else like arch/debian/gentoo.
>>
Hi, /fglt/. I was thinking about digital videos, recently.

Are there any video codecs that are known for being insecure? How do these exploits work? How can I be sure I'm safe.

Like, for example, if you were to download copyrighted videos, is there a way they could signal home and reveal your identity? Would this exploit have to depend on the video player in order to work?
>>
>>61902584
if I delete that bit the file can't be saved though.
>>
>>61902177
yes, try debian gnu/hurd. Download the "debian gnu/hurd 2017 iso" image, install it from CD only, without network (important!) then after installation set up a generic sid sources.list, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade then install any extra software you might need.
>>
>>61902657
No. Video files itselves are not software.

There might be bugs in decoders which can be exploited by specially crafted video files but this is clinical levels of paranoia tier rare.

You might have heard wmv and wma files spreading crapware. That wasn't the audio/video data thou, but they were encoded and required a license to play. They contained a link to a website which windows media player accessed to obtain the license and the website was filled with viruses etc.
>>
>>61902710

If you say so.
>>
>>61902613
Mint has a reputation for being extra easy, but in my opinion it's just an easy way to turn somebody off Linux. It's like tricking a child by dangling a sweet in front of it's face and making it swallow the spoonful of spinach.
My advice is get out of your comfort zone and install Debian right away, not Ubuntu or Mint. You will have to do (slightly) complicated, technical stuff eventually anway (even with Mint and Ubuntu) and Debian at least doesn't treat you like an idiot who is unable to make his own choices.
Case in point, the first page of this Debian wiki page explains to you everything you need to know in case you have trouble with multimedia codecs:
https://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs
>>
Planning on deploying an ASP.net application using mod_mono to a GNU/Linux server. What is better database software for me to use with Asp.net, PostGREsql or MySQL?
>>
File: maddoeg.jpg (24KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
maddoeg.jpg
24KB, 590x443px
>>61896807
Quick question. When I treat my elf binary with objcopy -O binary does the raw binary file preserve the addresses of segments? It seems like it does and I don't understand why and how.

I have a custom linker script that puts the code segment on some address. My board starts execution on that address and everything works. But when I change that address, recompile and use objcopy again, it doesn't work.

I thought that maybe the bootloader on the board puts the raw binary on the correct address by itself it turns out it doesnt.
>>
Is there a way to compile Firefox nightly on Gentoo?
>>
So I'm getting a bit tired of ubuntu breaking every time What's some good, stable and secure distribution that is also good for normal use?
>>
File: 1476762857534.png (38KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
1476762857534.png
38KB, 660x734px
>>61902613
>>
I'm having trouble picking a distro to start with. I am doing it to learn and have some fun customizing the DE/WM. I will use it for the web, music/video, and maybe Photoshop if I get it running.
I like the idea of not having extra software installed and don't mind having to reference a manual or documentation, so Arch makes sense. However, I don't understand the fuss about systemd. Should I not care or what other distros should I look at?
>>
>qemu VM
>virt-manager
Unable to complete install: 'internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-08-14T17:34:43.564951Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 88, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 2288, in _do_async_install
guest.start_install(meter=meter)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/guest.py", line 477, in start_install
doboot, transient)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/guest.py", line 405, in _create_guest
self.domain.create()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1062, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-08-14T17:34:43.564951Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

Kvm works perfectly fine on the CLI. I've tried adding kvm to root, root to kvm, user to kvm, kvm to user, to try and get around the permissions problem. What am I missing? I can almost taste the victory of getting this VM working but all of the help sites are people not enabling kvm in the bios.
Also slight other problem following https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Setting_up_an_OVMF-based_guest_VM
This line:
>In the "Overview" section, set your firmware to "UEFI".
The firmware section doesnt exist at all. How do I add this as an option or does it just appear when the nvram[] array is set up with more than one option?
>>
>>61903186
install gentoo
>>
>>61903186
Debian testing if you want something that is easy to install, stable, and just works.
Arch if you're feeling adventurous and want to jump into the deep end. It has a ton of documentation so pretty much any issue is solvable, but it's definitely intimidating of you're just coming from windows or macos.
>>
File: 1438831498621.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1438831498621.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>61900242
Do a ZFS root
Put that RAM to use.
>>
>>61902970
yes, but you have to do it manually. Install pre-requirements (PROTIP:
emerge -pv firefox
will see what it might need), clone mozillas git repo for ff and compile it yourself. Mozilla has a dedicated manual on their wiki to help.
>>
why does cmus keep doing this?
every time I try and add a directory it gives me the default terminal line and when I hit enter it just repeats
any help?
>>
Arch users:

Can you run cfdisk, try to create a new partition and when it asks you to enter the size, press backspace? Does it erase the number or do you get weird ^? printed with the input line all fucked up?
>>
>>61903192
>
process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-08-14T17:34:43.564951Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

can you access the said devpts device?
>>
>ubuntu bug reports

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1703772
>>
>>61899872
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
>>
File: wa.webm (255KB, 724x484px) Image search: [Google]
wa.webm
255KB, 724x484px
>>61903378

Here's how it looks like. What could be causing this?
>>
>>61903378
huh, does that for me as well, at least in xfce4-terminal, works fine in xterm
i'm certain i've used cfdisk fine in xfce4-terminal before though
>>
>>61903390
I still like this one https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/command-not-found/+bug/1055766
>>
>>61903450

I tried xfce4-terminal and lxterminal and they both have it. Gonna try xterm next.
Yes, it worked fine for me in xfce4-terminal recently. Nothing xfce4-terminal related was updated recently, I don't even know where to look for the cause.
>>
>>61903448
Have you tried using the delete key instead of backspace?
>>
>>61903382
Isn't that just a terminal? If so, yeah i can get to it and echo to it.
>>
>>61903505

Delete key works. How come?
Because backspace also used to work. Did they deprecate backspace?
>>
>>61903454

Too obnoxious.
>>
>>61903471
ok, it's part of util-linux, and i happened to still have an older version of the package in my cache still, so i tried it, and it worked fine in xfce4-terminal
for reference, version i had was 2.30.1-2-x86_64, older one i had was 2.29.2-2-x86_64

here's a copy of it if you like;
https://my.mixtape.moe/johtff.tar.xz
util-linux-2.29.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>>61903520
No idea why backspace doesn't work. All I know is that Delete is seen as a different command by all operating systems.
>>
>>61903588

Thanks for troubleshooting it. I'm gonna open up a bug report on the util-linux issue tracker, I guess.

Also, if you need an older version of a package next time, try this:
https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/
>>
>>61903520
considering it works as expected in xterm, i don't think this is intentional
>>
>>61896807
I restarted my server(Debian) after roughly a year (about 373 days) And now i cant find my samba shares anymore. I ran the same ip-tables script to open the necessary ports, and added samba ports 445,137,138,139.

I found something about client use spnego = no and added it to my config, restareted samba with sudo service smbd restart, and status shows that samba is active.
Still, i cant find my share when browsing network or mount it with fstab, which worked before i restated my server.
Anyone have any idea how to go on? Now im thinking of restarting my server again after adding the client use spnego line to smb.conf to reset network interfaces as a last resort.
>>
File: deepblue.png (168KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
deepblue.png
168KB, 1920x1080px
how does a debian (sid) minimal install compare to installing arch/gentoo for up to date software and minimal system rescources?
>>
>>61903725
Arch use less memory than Debian.
>>
>>61903859

[citation needed]
>>
>>61903859
>Community memes don't define the distribution, technical choices by the
>developers do. It's clearly not based on what you say it is, and *never*
>has been. It has always used significantly more disk space and a
>measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo
>as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development
>perspective).
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
What's all the fuzz about systemd?
>>
>>61903885
>>61903901
I provided screenshots in the pas where a basic arch only 29M. And strangely Debian supporters never reply, every time.

About disk usage you can install very feel packages if you want.
>>
>>61903947
>arch devs lie, trust me!
>>
>>61903947

It's not up to me to post proof.
You are making the claim, provide proof. Run exactly the same programs and see if Arch is "using less memory".
>>
>>61903982
Show me the memory usage of a minimal debian (metinstall).
>>
>>61904010
no u
>>
>>61904002
Each time I provided a proof your kind disappear. Each time.

But I understand that 29M are scary.
>>
>>61903859
arch is so minimal, I have to reinstall it every time I reboot because I cant find it anymore
>>
Gonna try out MATE today, how customisable is it?
>>
>>61904062
Youll see when you try it today.
>>
>>61904040

You have to provide the proof every time you make a claim.
Are you literally an idiot? Because this is something a 12 year old kid comprehends.
>>
>>61903923

splash screen boots up what can it be?
A fresh linux distro rolling systemd
it scrolled down the window and it started to say:
NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify " "
>>
>>61904146
I did it inthe past. And your kind flee. I won't do it again.
>>
Anyone know how to setup mod_mono on centOS 7? Ive been trying for quite awhile and can't seem to get the damn thing to work with Apache2. Im able to run basic C# desktop programs but can't get any Asp.net to run. Im missing the mod_mono.so in the apache2 modules folder and can't find how to fix it.
>>
>>61904266
>C#
But that's the wrong C, anon.
>>
>>61904234
>I did it inthe past.
Can you provide any proofs on this?
>>
>>61904283
What C am I supposed to use? I don't know C++, C or Objective-C.
>>
Redpill me on tiling managers
What are the advantages?
It just seems like a hassle to me
>>
>>61904306
I won't destroy your dreams.
>>
>>61904209
Is this poetry?
>>
>>61904346
You didn't even provide any proof.
>>
>>61903716
Check the fucking logs. Try smbtree on the sever to local host
>>
File: graphic.png (14KB, 1095x805px) Image search: [Google]
graphic.png
14KB, 1095x805px
>>61903947
But you are wrong. Confirmed by this graphic.
>>
>>61902749
Thanks for telling me that, anon. I guess it's not a /fglt/ really. My wondering was mostly that, if there were exploits, would it be able to cross over to GNU/Linux. But I guess that solves that question.

I think we've all grown up seeing things like "newvideo_bobs_and_vagine.avi",and stuff like that, and I figured, if there are people weren't somehow able to circulate malware through video files like that, they wouldn't put them up. But I think it's simply that, on stuff like eDonkey, those files are so damn old they actually existed before a time when naming convention like that seemed malicious.
>>
>>61902613
https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites

Press Ctrl-f and type "mint".
>>
>>61903365
Did you install a terminal weirdly and it is not in the db?
Actual looks like it just crashed and didn't set the terminal back to cooked mode. Lone echo isn't on. Try running vim then exciting it, that might fix it.
>>
>>61904407
That's pretty damming.
>>
>>61903333
>>61900242
Holy crap quads don't lie, you gotta obey, anon
>>
What is the best, preferable lightweight wallpaper for Linux?
>>
>>61904497
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
That said,
xsetroot -mod 4 4 -fg '#222' -bg '#111'
>>
Is webkitgtk 2.4.X supported anymore
>>
>>61904547
thats actually nice
>>
I recently installed Ubuntu as my first Linux distro. Can anybody recommend me some good beginner books/guides that will help me be able to use my computer without needing to google something every 10 seconds?
>>
>>61904792
info coreutils
man man
>>
>>61902573
Vimium-FF is more or less a direct continuity path for VimFX, if not as good.
>>
How do you guys share around your public ssh keys between your computers/devices? Do you use something like github or launchpad or bitbucket?
>>
>>61900242
would have been the same speedup in ubungu
>>
Does having a dual-core Intel CPU make Gentoo *not* max out the CPU when compiling the system? Even if it's a shit Core Duo 1.2Ghz ULV?
>>
>>61897875
That is fake. Torvalds never said it.
>>
>>61905291
copy paste it manually.
just how many are you juggling around?
>>
>>61905377
I know I could do that with a USB drive, but I need something that's easy enough to pick up from some website or centrally-accessible location.

I might just set up a server and put the public keys on there. The problem then is how to secure the server while still making the keys accessible.
>>
>>61905400
again, how many machines/keys are you juggling that it is a problem for you to just copy the keys when setting up/securing a new machine?
that's like the first thing i do when i get a new machine setup.
>>
>>61905447
4 different devices, mix of mobile and laptop.
>>
>>61905400
The whole point of a public key is it isn't useful to anyone who doesn't have the private key. You can just put them all up on Dropbox or Github and it won't matter.
>>
>>61904407
>no labeled axis
>>
>>61905465
that's not even that much, too much worry over nothing. just aggregate them into a file, scp over to each machine, and then disable passwords on all of them. just don't mess it up by disconnecting prematurely. don't want to get locked out.
>>
>>61905531
Yeah that's basically what I was planning to do. I'm slightly worried about my distro hopping which would break that file, but fuck it. I need to pick a side and stick with it. Plus Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is basically perfect now.
>>
File: proof.png (18KB, 1095x805px) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
18KB, 1095x805px
>>61905478
I have a graphic, your argument is invalid.
>>
>>61905564
it wouldn't, just comment in relevant info so you can keep track of the keys.
but again, barely a worry with 4 machines max.
>>
good thread
>>
which is better, gentoo or funtoo?
>>
>>61899801
Not autistic enough for a window manager, I want a full DE
And I don't really like LXDE
But I have to admit, it is damn lightweight
>>
>>61905881
>lightweight
but is it modular and enterprise ready?
>>
>>61905919

Who cares when it's webscale.
>>
>>61903192
I fixed this. /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf has a users section that you have to manually add an account that has access to the kvm group. But specifically using that config file.
UEFI popped up in the firmware section straight after changing that file.
>>
Which distro does /g/ recommend for an absolute beginner
>>
>>61906531
Beginner doesn't mean much there days.
What do you want in a distro and what do you want in a desktop environment?
>>
>>61906531
KDE neon or Ubuntu mate
>>
>>61906556
the deskop environment that i like the most is KDE
>>
>>61906531
Linux Mint is widely recommended for beginners and those who don't know much about gnu/linux.
"Those who don't know much" would include people on /g/ who tell you not to use mint.
>>
>>61906591
Then KDE neon is a good distro.
You can get the 16.04 LTS base, but keep the desktop updated.
Much better than kubuntu and it is easier to maintain than chakra.
>>
>>61906531
gentoo
>>
>>61906616
Mint is actually the worst distro around, it's popular and recommended by beginners who enjoy the looks but oversee the complete technical failure. See: >>61903140
>>
>>61906634
didnt understand half the things you said but thx anyway
>>61906616
it looks awesome probably gonna choose mint thx but KDE neon also seems nice
>>
>>61906531
install ubuntu, or xubuntu, dont fall for mint
>>
>>61906738
ohh ok that takes me to the starting point
>>
>>61906707
This
>>
>>61906816
it seems fine but the interface looks a bit complex you sure??
>>
What is the best distro for experts?
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (370KB, 1864x1896px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
370KB, 1864x1896px
>>61906794
I don't understand how anybody can keep recommending this absolute disgrace of Mint for anybody, let alone beginners.
Either choose an easy distro supported by a large company, like Ubuntu, Fedora or Opensuse
or
choose a distro with a large community like Debian

Mint is literally a distro made by a very small community, based on the work of a large company, who in turn base their work on the original work of a large community.

I swear, the next big thing will be a distro based on Linux Mint, and that will be the moment I switch to MS-DOS again.
>>
File: 1488568249023.jpg (21KB, 427x245px) Image search: [Google]
1488568249023.jpg
21KB, 427x245px
>>61906922
>>
>>61906922
Opensuse, fedora, Debian or KDE neon
help
>>
>>61907058
install ubunut
>>
>>61906922
>I don't understand how anybody can keep recommending this absolute disgrace of Mint for anybody, let alone beginners.
Mint became a popular distro for three reasons: polishing Ubuntu, less adware concerns and not forcing a phone interface into computer=desktop users. And it works for this.

However as a Mint user, I'm not recommending it anymore. The new update policy is BAD for clueless new users; and seriously, fuck off with your Synaptic changes.

>Either choose an easy distro supported by a large company, like Ubuntu, Fedora or Opensuse, or choose a distro with a large community like Debian
Either way, it's still a Linux distro. You can get info on how to solve problems even from Arch wiki if you need.

>Mint is literally a distro made by a very small community, based on the work of a large company, who in turn base their work on the original work of a large community.
In theory this is good. You have multiple groups working on the same piece of software consecutively, each building upon the other's work. In ideal circumstances some changes will find their way downstream, like from Mint to Ubuntu to Debian to [package developer].

In practice though you'll have ego fights, a huge bag of spilling, and a situation where each group wastes dev hours reverting the change the other did.

>I swear, the next big thing will be a distro based on Linux Mint
To be honest if they revert the Synaptic changes in this Mint-based distro then I'm sold.
>>
>>61906922
Mint exists because there was a stretch like 5 or 10 years ago where RH and SuSe had officially shat the bed, and the apt world was torn between Debian's packaging autism and Shuttleworth's batshit insane technical decisions. It's what happens when 'just werks' is the only priority.

These days I don't understand why anyone uses any Debian distros at all, and this is coming from someone who used Debian proper for 10+ years.
>>
>>61904443
>>
Hi. How do I download the entire gentoo handbook?
>>
>>61907058
Just take neon of the list and choose one of the remaining three. SUSE ships KDE as its default DE if it means that much to you, otherwise just pick one and stick with it for a bit.
>>
>>61907461
What would you recommend then for someone who always used Debian+derivatives but wants to try something fresh?
>>
>>61908068
mx-16 lightweight deb based rolling with systemv
>>
>>61908095
>deb based
Bro, I want to try something BESIDES Debian derivatives.
>>
>>61907508
>being a google botnet cuck
>>
>>61908117
Honestly gentoo. I'm going back to gentoo from many years of deb/mint, and fedora.
>>
>>61908133
I'll give it a try then on a spare partition. Thank you.
>>
Hey guys, I've been using distro %s for over 7 years and I can tell you it's bad.
>>
>>61907686
install gentoo
>>
>>61896807
Hello /fglt/, I asked this yesterday but had no luck

Simple question: Why isn't my fresh Debian (installed in GPT, UEFI) occupying almost any space in the EFI (/boot/efi) partition and occupying a bunch of space in my (/boot) partition?
I thought UEFI installations only really used /boot/efi now?

May be significant: I'm using an encrypted LVM which was created during install.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-08-15_01-24-16.png (29KB, 708x340px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-08-15_01-24-16.png
29KB, 708x340px
>>
File: 1494849856967.jpg (56KB, 645x430px) Image search: [Google]
1494849856967.jpg
56KB, 645x430px
>>61908779
>>
Gents, my script prints:

>foo
>bar
>baz
to stdout, what's the most short/clever way to turn it into

>line1: foo
>line2: bar
>line3: bat
?
>>
>>61909063
*z
>>
I'm having issues with my wireless dropping out randomly for short periods of time on Fedora 26.
Using a Thinkpad T530, I didn't experience this issue on Ubuntu.
Anyone with any experience or ideas? I'm not a linux newfag, just haven't been had to troubleshoot problems like these since like 2011.
>>
>>61909085
You can play with the kernel module. Find out which wifi driver is in use, check which settings are available, remove the module and re-insert it with custom settings. You can do all this without restarting.
>>
hello all, this is the best thread
I'm a proud gnu+linux user now
love you all!
>>
>>61909177
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install iloveyoutooanon
>>
File: 1493101420297.gif (787KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1493101420297.gif
787KB, 224x224px
>>61909177
Welcome ~ and a reminder that you'll have 200% more fun with your new system when you discover the command line.

> Shell pasta:

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
http://www.pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Shell Style Guide:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
http://www.commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
http://www.shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
http://explainshell.com/
>>
How can I stop from distro hopping? Everytime there is a little thing that doesn't satisfy me and I change distro. It gets pretty annoying since I don't learn anything and waste time.
Also every DE has some flaws that make me hate them but I'm too stupid for a minimal install and a WM, wat do
>inb4 nice blog post
>>
>>61909269
>Everytime there is a little thing that doesn't satisfy me and I change distro
Found your problem.

You need to realize that all distros are the same system. Get one which meets your needs regarding philosophy and package management, anything else is up to you to customize, add, remove, modify and hack.
>>
>>61909269
Realize it doesn't fucking matter and it's all really the same.

I stopped doing it when I had the realization that distrohopping was just an excuse my auto-pilot self was clinging to so I could procrastinate on actual productive things I should be doing
>>
>>61909177
(user was granted dubs for this post)
>>
>>61909269
Why would you want to stop? Installing gnu/linux is fun.
>>
>>61909269
install gentoo, installing gentoo never ends
>>
>>61906909
Ubuntu
>>
File: yoman.jpg (165KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
yoman.jpg
165KB, 500x500px
>>61909177
sup bro
>>
>>61909295
>>61909299
Thanks anons, I'll try to resist and do something actually useful with my time
>>61909328
>>61909339
Well I installed clover os too
>>
tl;dr systemd faggotry

I'm wondering how systemd gained so much popularity on all major distros, while being in the news with weekly bug-drama and according to lots of the community it doesnt look like that people actually enjoy it.
Whats the magic behind systemd?
>>
>>61909503
>hey guys, funkiller here, lets talk about systemd
>>
>>61909503
Either because it just werks, or because of Jews, depending on which side of the fence you're on.
>>
>>61909503
I could be wrong, but I just guess that the big seller is that distro developers have less work since systemd developers have to maintain the whole init and extra stuff.
>>
>install ubuntu using installer
>it wipes a random hard drive after telling it not to
>install arch
>full control - no mishaps
Why do people want GUI installers again?
>>
>>61909503
In a word: Business

Redhat is a pretty big giant in any enterprise setting, which most likely has a lot to do with the fact that they're a paid company who actually offers support. So even if for no other reason, there's at least the fact that they can actually call someone up and yell at them to get things done.

A new init system was definitely needed, and it was mostly needed by servers and big businesses that already lean on Redhat (to regular desktop users the difference is basically negligible)

So Redhat got the financial backing and systemd started to become the defacto init system in enterprise settings, which of course means even people hosting servers on other distros are going to want to mimic as closely as possible the server setup others are using.

There were alternatives of course, systemd didn't actually solve anything that wasn't already solved in other software at the time, but without the financial backing the other software would have taken much longer to be adopted by even just a fraction of distros.

Oh, also because it's NSA spyware
>>
>>61909725
werkzonmuhmachine
>>
>>61909725
Also worked for me and I had 2 other OS' on my hard drive.
>>
>>61909802
>Oh, also because it's NSA spyware
this pretty much killed the whole post anon
>>
>>61909725
Maybe you're not smart enough for graphical interfaces.
>>
File: Stalldalf-5.png (158KB, 558x298px) Image search: [Google]
Stalldalf-5.png
158KB, 558x298px
Wizards assemble! >>61907876
>>
>>61910015
Thanks
>>
>>61910044
Let me know when they let me cast spells in a declarative package manager
>>
>>61908068
(Me) with another for Fedora. Or Manjaro for ebin OpenRC memes.
>>
>>61910044
>>
>>61909503
http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ProSystemdAntiSystemd/
I like how this guy breaks it down. Basically a combination of RedHat money + enterprise feature creep + Linus tossing more kernel features into user space = systemd everywhere.

Like, if they had eudev, OpenRC, and some other things in the shape they are today, a lot of distros probably wouldn't have adopted it. systemd just got all the right features way ahead of everyone else, and probably some amount of distro maintainers smelling sweet, sweet enterprise cash too.

>>61909802
Was a solid 9/10 until the last line.
>>
>>61910851
>Was a solid 9/10 until the last line.
Thanks you guys. Your encouragement is the reason I keep coming back here
>>
>installed mint, dual boot with wangblows
>disk no longer shows up in bios boot order, and doesn't auto boot
>can still boot through grub to either mint or windows, but I have to manually select the drive at boot time
any way to fix this? loonix nub here
>>
>>61911660
You mean you manually boot from the grub prompt?
>>
>>61911766
sorry no, I mean I get the grub... "gui" prompt list thing, that gives options for booting. but ONLY if I manually select the drive it's installed on during ?bios? boot. so basically I can override the normal boot order to get to grub. but since I installed mint and grub the drive it's installed on doesn't appear in options to select boot order in my bios
>>
S.O.S.
I installed an encrypted Arch system with luks (just like I always do) but now I'm getting this when I try to boot:
:: running early hook [udev]
starting version 234
:: running early hook [lvm2]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [keymap]
:: Loading keymap...done
:: running hook [encrypt]

A password is required to access the lvm volume:
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda2:
:: running hook [resume]
ERROR: device '' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I've look it over anons, my boot config files are flawless.
mkinitcpio -p linux

does nothing. What the hell is going on? The only thing I can think of is that my previous installation (which had the same encrypt password as I do now) wasn't erased and the system is trying to mount that device. In that case, is there anyway to salvage this without waiting 5-6 hours on dd to wipe everything?
I know it's at least reading my current boot config files.

What do I do!
>>
>>61896807
which *BSD is best choice?
in terms of ports

>inb4osx
>trueOS?
>pcBSD?
>openBSD?
>freeBSD?
>>
>>61911866
systemd? there's your problem
>>
>>61911920
oh look, another contrarian band-wagoner
>>
>>61906760
>(((Mint)))
Neon
>>
>>61911860
I'm still not sure I understand how you're wording it.

Are you saying that you get an option of which disk to boot from when powering on the machine, but if you go to the BIOS options to try and permanently change the boot order so you don't have to keep selecting it you don't see it in that list?

Or are you saying that before installing mint you still had to select the disk to boot from but after installing it now you can't see the disk at all and have no way of booting right now?
>>
>>61911976
Sorry I was being retarded I guess. I meant, the disk that I installed mint on was no longer an option to select as a default boot disk, even though I could boot to it manually. This happened right after the install. I found out that something must have tweaked a setting in my BIOS that ignored that disk in favor of another, so it was just a bit of carelessness on my part. Thanks anyway though

You could help with something else though - any must-have software I should install now? I mainly wanted to switch to program on, but I'd like to eventually make it my main OS except for gaming
>>
>4fags already asleep at this time
Hmm.
>>
https://mailinabox.email/ would you trust this with your data?
>>
>>61912230
yes
>>
>>61912230
no
>>
Is manjaro a stable distro? And can it make use of Arch's yaourt?
>>
>>61912261
it's shit just use arch
>>
>>61912270
The only non-shit distro is GuixSD.

and even then it's still kinda shit too, but the reasons its shit are outside of it's control so it's excusable.
>>
>>61909063
for n, s in zip([1, 2, 3], ["foo", "bar", "baz"]):
print "line %d: %s" % (n, s)
>>
>>61909503

>weekly bug-drama
Every project has bugs, you idiot. It's just that idiots like you obsess over the systemd bug tracker and post every tiny bit they find there.

>enjoy it
None of the people who dislike it it even use it. They don't even know what it is.
>>
asked in the /sqt/ but I guess I'll ask here too

every podcast client that I use on Linux can only download the 20 or so most recent episodes of this one particular podcast, I guess they set their feed that way. But my Android client can "see" all of their episodes, or at least 100 or so back, and stream them.
So is there a client on Linux that can do that?
>>
>>61913546
I have no idea but if youtube-dl can't do it nothing can
>>
Is dd safe for a live backup of a partition?
>>
>>61913648
>live backup

if the partition is mounted rw, no.
>>
>>61913648
it's not ideal, if you can at stop or minimize the data being written to it, and also sync caches before starting, it'll be mostly intact
if you're just trying to minimize downtime, consider this instead;
1. rsync the contents to the new location
2. when that's done, stop what you're doing on it, remount the disk read-only, then rsync again to get any final changes
>>
File: wayland-screenshot.png (363KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wayland-screenshot.png
363KB, 1920x1080px
Who needs something like screenfetch but much better? I wrote gentoofetch in C, it's designed for Gentoo, shows lot's of stuff. Chech it out: https://github.com/DmitryHetman/gentoofetch

I can write similar program for Arch, Debian, Fedora, but I don't have that much VODKA or beer.
>>
>>61913686
>>61913699
It's no biggie if there's downtime. I'd assume dd would be safer to use if ran from a livecd, correct? And can this be ran on a root partition as well?
>>
>>61913648
cp is safer.
Copy only files that you really need.
>>
>>61913742
>I'd assume dd would be safer to use if ran from a livecd, correct?
what makes it safe is whether or not the volume being copied is being written to at the same time or not
if the volume is unmounted or mounted read-only, it's safe, live environment or not
there's nothing special about the root partition in this case either, except that you might have difficultly mounting it read-only while it's actively you're root
you can also use your initramfs environment for this job
>>
Can anyone give me a sox command example for multiplying an audio sample by a sinus wave?
>>
I'm using Void GNU/Linux. I've had some issues with xrandr, alsa, and mpd. Hoping someone can help.

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output HDMI2 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI2 --mode 1920x1200 --rotate left

This used to work, but no longer does. When I dock my ThinkPad I want to use two external monitors, so I disabled LVDS1, enable HDMI2 and VGA1, set VGA1 left of HDMI2, and I want it to rotate left since I have it in portrait. Instead of this, it mirrors so that the left monitor is sideways and not its own desktop. Not really sure why this has issues now.

The alsa issue is user error. I'm used to pulseaudio, but I don't want to use it anymore. I keep a usb dongle in my dock that acts as its own soundcard. I plug my headphones and mic into it and it has a lot less noise than going straight into the computer. I want to use this when it's there, but have working sound when it's not. I've tried a few things after searching online and just ended up with it using the usb audio while docked and having no working audio at all when undocked. I was editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. I think I read that using negative numbers prevents either from always being on, so I should set them as -1 and -2. So my file looks like this:
options snd_usb_audio index=-1
options snd_hda_intel index=-2

The mpd issue is recent. I was struggling to figure out how to get mpd to start with runit as my user (equivalent to systemctl --user enable mpd), but starting it manually still worked fine. Now ncmpcpp will connect and I can view music, but the main playlist is always empty, and when I add stuff, it just won't play for some reason. Not sure if this is related, but I noticed I lost audio in mpv somehow. It was working on this boot, even, but I noticed a youtube video that was working in my browser had no audio in mpv anymore for some reason.

I said a lot, but hopefully someone can help me a little bit with something.
>>
>>61913648
Not a rw one, but if you use LVM you can snapshot. Same if you use btrfs or zfs. That snapshot is then safe to copy if you need to.
>>
>>61904338
It basically manages your windows for you. It's really nice. You can open four terminals and see them all, no overlapping. If you're okay with the size, you could just use them like that.
>>
What's the most lightweight video player? doesn't need a lot of features, just play and pause video
>>
>>61915335
ffplay (ffmpeg)
>>
>>61903140
>>61904443

Yeah but if I'm just using it to get used to linux for a month before switching, is it a good choice? Presuming that I don't use it for anything that is 'sensitive'
>>
>>61915937
No. Start with shit, next day you will be one of those ">got memed into using loonix how shit it is" faggots you see on the front page every day. Start with plain ubuntu, or one of it's derivates/special DE editions (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu-mate, ubuntu-gnome etc)
>>
What's the best way to quickly test new software (make, make install, etc), without messing up my filesystem?

I'm looking into systemd-nspawn's containers. That works, but only for cli/tui software. Is there something better? Running a virtual machine is kind of too much.
>>
>>61916186
Configure them with a prefix.
>>
>>61916186
Depending on your distro there are ways to build a package you can install, test, and remove like every other package. For Debian + Debian-based distros there's checkinstall which does the job.
>>
>>61916202

That might work.

>>61916207

Making proper packages kind of takes time. I am not on Debian, so checkinstall isn't an option.
>>
Can someone explain me the line
exec tail -n +3 $0

/etc/grub.d/40_custom ?
>>
>>61896807
Im in the process of buying a 12 core workstation for a really goddamn cheap amount and I want my main OS to be Linux, what do you reccomend and why is it TerryOS?
>>
Is Debian with XFCE a good choice for desktops?
>>
>>61916693

Yes.
No.
Maybe.
There, you have all the 3 subjective answers. Just pick one which you prefer.
>>
friendly gnus..
>>
File: 1496846964605.jpg (188KB, 735x798px) Image search: [Google]
1496846964605.jpg
188KB, 735x798px
>>61916810
>>
File: xubuntu_logo_black.png (9KB, 424x120px) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu_logo_black.png
9KB, 424x120px
Hi /g/ I'm planning to install xubuntu on my x220. What essential/useful programs should I download after a clean install?
>>
>>61916968
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
>>
>>61916968
screenfetch
>>
>>61916648
Never mind, i found what it does.
If someone wants the explanation, I'll post it
>>
Also is xfce superior to Mate?
>>
>>61917070
Yes.
>>
>>61908779
fidjet speener os
>>
>>61917070
No.
>>
>>61917070
maybe
>>
File: lfs-logo.png (16KB, 192x75px) Image search: [Google]
lfs-logo.png
16KB, 192x75px
has anyone in here tried Linux From Scratch? I am thinking about trying it to learn more about how Linux works. Also, how hard is it to maintain a working system up to date if you once finished installing it?
>>
>>61917112
just use Source Mage, it's basically LFS with a package manager >>61907876
>>
>>61917112
If you use very few programs you can maintain a LFS. Otherwise use a distro.
>>
>>61917112
LFS is a good lesson about how few things of the system are actually Linux related.

It's pretty fun to read and build, but once finished, you wouldn't use it as daily driver since it's simply too much work to maintain the whole thing (imho).
>>
just install gentoo, your learn enough by using it
>>
What is the best distro for serious people?
>>
File: 1474411268577.png (37KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474411268577.png
37KB, 300x250px
>>61917340
Euphoric Linux
>>
So since the i3 config file isn't a bash script, how am I supposed to get compton to start with it?
>>
>>61917112
>trying it to learn more about how Linux works
I did it and you objectively don't learn that much about how Linux works that you wouldn't learn by googling how the fstab or system init works. Maintaining it is KYS-tier but it can be fun to write your package manager. Otherwise >>61917139
>>
>>61917112
wouldn't bother unless you plan on being a kernel developer or whatever.
>>
>>61917560
exec <command>

only works on startup
>>
>>61917596
what does the kernel have to do with assembling an operating systemd from scratch?
do you think kernel devs care about how the init system works and how manual dependency resolving works?
>>
>>61917560
https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_automatically_starting_applications_on_i3_startup
>>
>>61917705
exec_always works on reload
>>
File: mpv-shot0026.png (963KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0026.png
963KB, 1280x720px
I want to clone my Linux install from 500 GB HDD to 60 GB SSD.
"/" is using less than 10 GB, and "/Home" is using about 4GB.
How would I do that?
/ and /home are in two separate partitions.
>>
>>61918013
make new partitions on the ssd how you want them, format them (doesn't have to be the same filesystem type), mount those, rsync over the contents, then fix up your bootloader and fstab on the ssd copy
>>
is it true that linux cant get viruses?
>>
>>61918072
>fix up your bootloader
Why? won't dd'ing the /boot parttion be enough?
Fix fstab on the ssd copy
What should I do exactly?

I was thinking I'd just dd the / partition and boot partition then boot it up then copy the dot file over.
>>
>>61917723
>or whatever

I made myself clear nerd.
>>
>>61918133
This is a friendly thread about GNU plus Linux on a anime website. Take your hate elsewhere, you unfriendly person.
>>
>>61918132
>Why? won't dd'ing the /boot parttion be enough?
I'm pretty sure the bootloader still needs to know where to look for boot images (partition name).
>>
>>61918142
yes, you made it clear that you thought that kernel development has something to do with making a bunch of unrelated software work on top of the kernel
>>
>>61918176
MAURO
>>
kernel is such a stupid word
>>
>>61918192
what?
>>
>>61918207
this is such a stupid post
>>
Quick, which one? Is XFCE still goat?

It's an X220 Thinkpad btw.
>>
->
-> >>61918231
->
>>
>>61918207
This. Just call it Linux.
>>
>>61918239
>Is XFCE still goat?
yes
>>
>>61918176
I never said that. Stop being so autistic.
>>
what are some apps you all install on a fresh install?
>>
>>61918275
no, but you clearly and unmistakingly implied it by saying
>wouldn't bother unless you plan on being a kernel developer
and then you added "or whatever" at the end because you have no idea what your're talking about and you just don't want to seem completely ignorant
>>
>>61918275
I can see right through you and I understand your actions better than you yourself do
>>
>>61918294
Adobe Flash, Skype, Google Chrome
>>
>>61918300
my point was you would only bother trying something like lfs if you had an interest in developing. maybe kernel development, maybe whatever else. I feel like this was obvious and you are just trying to be difficult.
>>
Gnu/LINUX newb here.

I wanted to be hardcore so I removed Windows from my HP laptop and installed kubuntu.

It works fine, but on every other bootup it crashes. Some kernel offset error or whatever; I'm not sure.
On occassion I have to run boot-repair.

Any primers on how I might fix this?
>>
>>61918266
I'd just like to interj...
nevermind.
>>
>>61918351
the fact that you're even replying to me just shows how insecure you are, even though you're anonymous
so you're not only insecure, but you're displaying your insecurity on an anonymous image board, making you extra insecure
>>
>>61918396
it takes on to know one. crack another egg of knowledge on me.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>61918231
>>61918231
>>61918231
>>
>>61918459
this one is still on page 4
fucking retards
you should make new threads until we reach page 10
this isn't /b/
>>
>>61918473
autism

There are better things to get upset about.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.