[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>majority of highly recommended CS books are 1000+ pages >need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (47KB, 220x248px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 220x248px
>majority of highly recommended CS books are 1000+ pages
>need to be familiar or even proficient in a myriad of subjects

How the fuck am I supposed to read all this shit, do all the exercises, and retain all this information? Like really what thd fuck?
>>
>>61894363
Give it a year or two. Self tutoring is never a cake walk.
>>
File: Bat of murder.jpg (125KB, 884x464px) Image search: [Google]
Bat of murder.jpg
125KB, 884x464px
>>61894363
you don't need to know all that book. some of it is used as reference and it is generally taken in 2 to 3 courses. (Also if I remember The first 3 or 4 chapters are baby tier).

Btw for every course I take I generally read like 3 books (60-70% of each if you skip non useful topics) of 300 pages or more each, its not that hard.
>>
>>61894363
The best way to learn is to look up answers to interview and leetcode questions. After a couple you realize many of them are basically the same thing.
>>
Don't bother and start your own business and make more money anyway. Employment is autism tier considering the amount of retard math questions. Go learn some framework and you'll discover it's about manipulating data sets. Then you can make an app in a week and go sell it.
>>
Nigger I have 60 1000+ page books here you think I can remember even 1 page of that shit PhD btw just use them as reference material
>>
>>61894363
Learn Discrete Math, this book is pre requisite CLRS
https://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

Read Another 1000 pages book.
If you master recursion every else will be easy.
>>
Just learn the basic methods of algorithm design and a couple of generic fast algorithms and that's it.

If you need something specific, look for it.
>>
File: 04-design-analysis-of-algos.jpg (49KB, 260x330px) Image search: [Google]
04-design-analysis-of-algos.jpg
49KB, 260x330px
>>61894363
that book is trash for anyone but Math majors, get this one instead
>>
Well feel free to drop out and enroll in Culinary arts 101 instead
>>
File: cat.gif (18KB, 180x270px) Image search: [Google]
cat.gif
18KB, 180x270px
>>61894363
If you want something easy
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596516246.do

Practical examples, easy pseudocode, nice graphics.
>>
>>61895138
I recommend this one, the graphs are very useful.
>>
>>61894363
Sounds like you should've chosen Women's Studies.
>>
>>61895002
Recursion was notoriously difficult for me in my discrete course.

>>61895280
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>61894363
A brown prof recommended this book that's more focused on the ideas rather than math.

"Udi Manber's Introduction to Algorithms"
>>
>>61895118
You just triggered my fucking prolog PTSD with that picture.
>>
>>61894363
By reading and applying the info.

I'm taking 6 courses in the fall, with textbooks 1000-2000 pages long for each and I've already finished learning all of them.

Started off by opening the ebook in a 1/2 window and emacs to take notes in the other window. Most of the shit in textbooks is useless filler, so you don't need to pay too much attention. I wrote down whatever I thought the prof was gonna quiz on and ignored the rest. You're gonna have to read some ratings and do other social engineering to find out what kind of prof you got. If he's an annoying and pedantic fucker, you're gonna have to know what each ASCII code refers to and how many wymen worked on the ENIAC. If he's chill, you're good to go with just putting down "the PSU is the powerhouse of the mobo."

I have severe ADHD, but I can usually bang out 5 chapters per day of notes before I start streaming dumb shit. YMMV though.

As for practicing, I usually do that while I'm taking notes. For C++ I had CLion opened under emacs and learned what each std command did, plus doing the end of the chapter exercises.

For retaining that shit, that's up to you. I'm too fucking lazy to go through and read a book more than once, so I just wing it. Doing the assignments (assigned by the prof, not the book) should help with that though.

Also fuck
>need to be familiar or even proficient in a myriad of subjects
I see this shit everywhere. From linux packages to stackoverflow answers. Stop being autists and give me a simple answer. I don't want to have to learn regex to do a simple Python string traversal. I also don't want to have to read your spaghetti code because you can't be fucked to write a man page. Looking at you, mega-sdk and every emacs package ever.

And fuck you, OP for bitching. This is /reallife/ and you're expected to kill yourself for a piece of paper telling the world that there's a more than 50% chance your IQ isn't under 100.
>>
>>61894363
Learn PHP and do dumb sites visit-pages you stupid son of a bitch.
>>
>>61894363
Stop jerking off algorithms, you don't need this shit to do your job monkey.
Learn HTML and learn to type fast.
>>
>>61894363
>How the fuck am I supposed to read all this shit
CS isn't for brainlets such as thee. This is the weeding out process. You've just exposed yourself as a weed. Change majors immediately.
>>
>>61900249
>"the PSU is the powerhouse of the mobo."
lol wut
>>
>>61900293
>learn to type fast
Why?
>>
>>61900505
The power supply unit, which plugs into the AC power sockets, supplies the motherboard of the computer with enough power to carry out all of its functions.
>>
>>61894363
Here is how it goes:
You go to learn X, but A, B, and C are required. You don't know ABC, go and learn A first, but you need to learn AA, and AB to learn A. Start learning AA, you found it easy. You learned AA, now you go to learn AB, that one was also easier, congrates you are ready to learn A now. Finished with A? go to learn B. Rinse, repeat.

>tl;dr Don't be afraid to start things from zero, even if you go back as far as elementary school books to learn how fractions and percentages work in math. Pride and impatience are the #1 reason why everyone fails when it comes to self learning. Drop your ego aside and take things from the absolute zero. Good luck anon!
>>
You learn 80% of the important stuff by scanning it in a day and get the rest with -gasp- effort and time and practice
>>
>>61894363
>How the fuck am I supposed to read all this shit, do all the exercises, and retain all this information?
If you're normal, by working your ass off at university for 3+ years.

Followed by a life long time spent learning more - not only as you need, but also some more as you can.

> Like really what thd fuck?
That's the correct way of looking at both hardware and software. Once you look at the whole thing we're working with today, the good parts at least are all "how the fuck did anyone ever figure out how to do even just this thing" - tier stuff.

Doesn't mean we don't also have cringeworthy stupid shit in there, but it's NOT EASY to do actually good.
>>
I've found most books aren't great for self studying but this one helped me a lot.

Also check out Arthur Benjamin's Discrete Math and Proof books they are really intuitive
>>
>>61894363
K&R The C Programming Language is small as fuck
>>
>>61902201
that's because it isn't meant to teach algorithms, brainlet
>>
>>61900249
>"the PSU is the powerhouse of the mobo."

how poetic
>>
This book is very good
>>
>>61900273
Do people unironically read these books? I just skim through the required chapters and do a couple of practice problems. Also you usually don't need to learn the whole book for acourse, more like 1/3 of it.

Most textbooks are a scam anyway, never EVER pay for a textbook
>>
>>61902435
*very old
>>
>>61902448
>Most textbooks are a scam anyway
I agree with this, but when it comes to programming there are some important books/subjects.

It is very useful to skim through the entire book assigned for a programming language even if there are only a few chapters required for the course. Reading the whole book vs just a few chapters puts you in a different league than the rest of the class and it shows later in life.

Also, certain books you really should take the time to read. such as when you learn data stuctures or discrete structures. Sure, one can pass the class with a B by copying stuff from stack exchange, but those are extremely useful and powerful concepts to understand
>>
>>61902448
You don't need to have full comprehension to be able to program, but it is ignorant to say that the knowledge is a scam
>>
>>61902508
I didn't mean the knowledge is a scam, the actual book is a scam. I'm more talking about in a university setting where you're required to buy the $200 10th edition over the $80 9th edition because 'they changed the chapter order around'

If you're teaching yourself than I suppose it's less of scam as you can choose which books to buy, but still you can find most information for free these days, especially on common CS topics. Honestly I've learned way more from YouTube video lectures and stack exchange, than from textbooks.
>>
>>61902595
>I'm more talking about in a university setting where you're required to buy the $200 10th edition over the $80 9th edition because 'they changed the chapter order around'

unequivocally this, although that doesn't mean you shouldn't read the books at all.
>>
Worth reading?
>>
If you read those you'll already be a god amongst those retards emerging from coding bootcamps. Me, I got around at uni with the absolute minimum to pass the classes and then just read a programming interview book and did some excersises to get a job. If you're actually planning to work in the industry, it's absolutely worth it to invest in reading that shit. You just need a near autistic dedication to not get bored by it.
>>
>>61902761
>I got around at uni with the absolute minimum to pass the classes and then just read a programming interview book and did some excersises to get a job.

That's what makes all these books a meme. Hardly anyone reads them. We all just hit the highlights our professors require and pass the classes, then cram for the interviews because that's how you get the grades and the job.

Problem is that will get you in the door, but hardly prepares you at all for the work. So while I would suggest having the book for later, I wouldn't advise reading it prior to all of the above. Autists who are potentially the best hires are frequently passed over for non-autists who did the usual interview prep because employers only know to ask about the latter.

It's a shit show, but that's how the game is played.
>>
>>61902947
I for one liked learning the deep stuff. If you can read and understand Knuth's books, you're in the .001% of programmers worldwide.
>>
>>61902448
The books are excellent but the part about buying them being a scam is 100% true. Libgen for life. Also, my university has a badass library should I ever want to get physical.
>>
>>61903803
And unfortunately half those programmers are unemployed or underemployed since they sought knowledge instead of the bullshit that would get their foot in the door. The best programmers I know is making half my salary right now because he wasn't hired strait ought of college. He was reading the heavy hitters while the rest of us were just prepping for interviews.
>>
>>61904408
I said you'd be in the top percentile of your field, not that you'd be making millions.

I went to medical school precisely because engineers and other smart people are extremely undervalued in my country in favor of "just gets the job done" type of people. I still study the stuff though and even have contacts in technology, one smart guy made it into Microsoft. I didn't want to risk not making it to the C# team, so I chose to leave.

If people want employment, the best thing is summer internships at good companies. This gives people valuable experience that looks good on their résumé and lets them network.
>>
>>61902673
nop
>>
Code examples take up a lot of pages.
>>
>>61894363
1. Read Discrete math with applications by Epp
2. Read Book of Proof by hammack

Congratulations now you are ready to understand any cs related book.
>>
>>61895118
the exercises in that book were fun, but in reality, you'll never code puzzles for your database or web app
>>
File: lrg.jpg (108KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
lrg.jpg
108KB, 500x656px
the only CS book you'll ever need
>>
>>61894363

Let's see a picture of what amateur shit you are stuck on.
>>
>>61900273

CS has nothing to do with your puny webdev world you asinine, microscopic-brained imbecile
>>
>>61895002

This is very good advice. Although, I wouldn't go with that pdf from the MIT lectures. Pick up discrete mathematics and it's applications and go over the relevant chapters.

If you have logic and propositions, mathematical induction, recursion and algorithms down in that book, with a little combinatorics and permutations you will be good. Also learning is not linear, you get exponentially better at a subject the longer you do it.
>>
I tend to just pick up specialized tech books here and there now. Recently picked up a book on network security so I can try my hand at crypto. It's funny that it'll make me pretty much the 1% of programmers who even know that shit
>>
>>61913411
Real secret, industry is full code monkeys, mostly smart people goes to sales,mananger,research or work in fields like machine learning,crypto,networks,hardware or software infrastructure.
>>
File: 1999.jpg (191KB, 977x689px) Image search: [Google]
1999.jpg
191KB, 977x689px
>>61902435
do not get this book.

lisp/scheme is garbage
>>
>>61894363
Code Hidden Langauge of software and hardware
First couple chapters of Laws of Thought by Boole
Any programming language book, probably C, C# or Java. Code the Hard ways are good. If C get Ansi C by Dennis Ritchie himself.
For algorithms I did the Princeton book. But really you can just look up the common searching, sorting, hashing, and compression algorithms online and code on rosetta code.
>>
>>61895002
Concrete Math is also good by Knuth.
>>
>>61902595
stackexchange.... mixed bag that one.
>>
>>61894483
>starting your own business without experience

Fucking NEETs.
>>
>>61914014
>rosetta code
Most shitty over complicate code for simple task.
>>
>>61913553
ok brainlet
>>
>>61894363
ever heard the expression "it takes time"? well, it takes time, practice, patience, persistence, and sometimes perseverance
>>
File: 1461290393148.gif (3MB, 301x199px) Image search: [Google]
1461290393148.gif
3MB, 301x199px
>>61900293
>Learn HTML and learn to type fast.
>and learn to type fast.

I don't know why, but that made me laugh.
>>
I presently am a cs student in university fresher, I so far know php,web development and quite a bit of troubleshooting on hardware/software.
What will I have to learn to learn by the end of my final year to get a job in the coming Artificial tech/automated shit. Help me
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.