[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photo on resumes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: style-preview[1].png (292KB, 548x709px) Image search: [Google]
style-preview[1].png
292KB, 548x709px
When applying for tech jobs (CS, Electrical Engineering), how bad of an idea is it to put your (professional, headshot) photo on your resume?

I'm reformatting mine in LaTeX and finding a ton of great templates with space for a picture. I understand the concerns about discrimination and the potential for ACTUAL into-the-trash-it-goes but I'm curious if anyone does this, and thinks it actually did help them get a position. Studies show people remember you WAY better having seen your face.
>>
>>61888250
>how bad of an idea is it to put your (professional, headshot) photo on your resume?

It's a good idea in general, not just for tech jobs. That is, if you're not ugly as sin.
>>
If you look at the resumes on sites like Indeed, none of them have photos.
>>
File: UwD72zQ.jpg (604KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
UwD72zQ.jpg
604KB, 1275x1650px
photo is a bad idea imo but some nice drawings wouldn't hurt
>>
>>61888297
I'm a good-lookin, only minimally autistic, straight white male. I just wonder to what extent (specifically, when applying blindly to job sites, without any contacts) doing this would get my CV binned instantly. Especially with the recent Google thing, firing that guy because
>muh diversity

That said I think I'm gonna do it. I'm not getting any callbacks right now anyway, so obviously I'm not exactly riding on my skills, and I'm planning on focusing more on networking soon so it'll matter even less at that point.

>>61888367
This is actually the image I found here on /g/ that convinced me to redo it in Latex, ironically enough, lollers.
>>
File: 266781_5_.jpg (73KB, 530x500px) Image search: [Google]
266781_5_.jpg
73KB, 530x500px
>>61888250
understand that there are different "resume cultures". here in germany, a resume without a photo gets redirected to the circular file. i don't know about the anglo world, but it probably depends on your location - there might be diffent customs in the silicon valley than in, i don't know, the UK.
>>
>>61888367
the faggot made it available publicly on his own website (it's still up). why censor it?
>>
>>61888525
Link to website pls
>>
In Poland, putting a photo on your resume is obligatory and every one has to do it.
>>
>>61888553
https://pjreddie.com/
>>
>>61888472
This. Here in Canada, we don't put photos on our resume, doing it would seem weird and out of place.
>>
Point of resume is to stand out. You put photo of your face there and logo of every company you have been collobarating.
>>
>>61888250
you'll still have a job interview, so if you're worried about diversity, it'll come down there.

unless you're genuinely ugly you should include a photo, it already makes you more human than all those who have not included one.
then again, you can come across people who don't like that in general.
in job training I was once advised to go to the company and submit my job application personally to make a first impression, and I did that once to the total perplexity of the guy in charge. you don't do that for tech jobs, you do it for customer service jobs.
It's up to your own judgement, really.

also: if op image is your resume template I can tell you're a programmer, not a designer. which is ok for a programmer, but might not look good for someone in HR
>>
>>61888250

I would as long as white and male. Signals competence and reliability.
>>
File: gIWgWsh.jpg (370KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
gIWgWsh.jpg
370KB, 1275x1650px
>>61888250
Never, not unless they're applying for an acting/modelling job.

I throw resumes from ees directly into the trash if they didn't format it at least semi normal or added a graphic. Won't even read it.

>Pic definitely related
>>
>>61889481
i'd hire him just for lulz and his weaponized autism
>>
>>61889481
holy fuck, if you weren't a faggot making all this up, i'd hire the guy. that's one hell of a creative presentation.
>>
>>61888367
>>61888671
>>61889481
Best thing is, this guy seems to be pretty fucking competent. And honestly, his website is sane enough that it looks like he just wanted to fuck about with his resume, as opposed to being an obsessed manchild faggot.
>>
File: 1502462837362.png (91KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1502462837362.png
91KB, 500x378px
It's a good idea if you're a woman or racial minority.

If you're a FUCKING WHITE MALE, forget about it.
>>
It's becoming more acceptable now that LinkedIn is a thing. But if you're in tech and white, probably better not to
>>
Hey guys, I'm a photographer and I have a general question for you guys which i doubt merits its own thread.

Do you guys pay for professional photographic services for your online presence? linkedin/fb/whatever

i dont know how the tech world works in that regard
>>
>>61889573
>>61889799
>>61889761
Kek. Who cares I don't hire faggots.

Stay poor, mlp fags.
>>
>>61888250
In my country its standard practice to put your photo in your resume.
>>
>>61889956
you don't hire anyone. you're just a neet virgin lying on /g/
>>
>>61888250
If you're a white guy, no. If you're a minority go for it, as it can only help.
>>
>>61888250
Just make sure you use the correct pic, OP.

once saw a girl who accidentally used a nude instead of the head shot she wanted.
>>
>>61888250

I've always been told not to do it, but I've seen instances where it's encouraged. I would avoid it if you're a FUCKING WHITE MALE though... Good way to get filtered by the diversity people in HR.
>>
>>61888250
If they see that you're not a nigger, it's a plus
>>
>>61889911
Company pays for headshots. Other than that only people who are too vain to be hired.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.