[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Suckless Distro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: Systemd.png (27KB, 184x202px) Image search: [Google]
Systemd.png
27KB, 184x202px
The unix people who believe in maintaining the technical merits of GNU/Linux have considerable criticisms about many of its dominant standards.

/G/uys, spin me up your distro of choice which simply doesn't suck. Ironically should not include surf, dwm or stali (not ready freddie).
>>
Arch linux
>>
>>61881166
Anything that's not linux or OSX but still unix.
FreeBSD
Plan9
OpenBSD
etc

you can't really be a puritan like the suckless people are when you still use either GNU or Linux.
>>
File: 1501610394768.jpg (384KB, 1448x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1501610394768.jpg
384KB, 1448x2560px
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6369
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5998
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6225
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
>>
Void and that other one
>>
>>61881252

Can you explain what's up with the links you posted?
Just do the first one. I want to learn from your DNS expertise.
>>
>>61881312
>peanut gallery
>expertise
>>
>>61881321
*throws peanut*

DOODY-HEAD
>>
File: computer neckbeard.png (44KB, 586x440px) Image search: [Google]
computer neckbeard.png
44KB, 586x440px
> Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.

Unironic, unabashed fedora tippery right here.
>>
>>61881196
I'm pretty sure most of them use openbsd
>>
>>61881312
Go fuckyourself you piece of shit
You think I'm happy to say he is a globalist german? You think I smile when I upload a picture of a person that is destroying linux? You think it's alright for a shit coder that never wrote anything decent in his life to write the second most important piece of code and power debian (the most used distro in the world) ?
Die if you are not trolling. You are worse than a rapist and a serial killer. You are even worse than useful idiots like Lennart.
I wish it was legal to beat people like you in public and get away unpunished. I seriously hope in a future society we'll be able to take away the rights of destroyers of society such as yourself, not because it's fun to take away the rights of people but because you contribute to make society a very bad place to live in
>>
>>61881166
Slackware.
Using it is like driving a great vintage car without automatic transmission, ABS, cruise-control, etc.
You driving it not because it's convinient but because you like the sense of control it gives you.
>>
>>61881459
dwm is unironically a great piece of software, been using it for months now.
really does the job a lot better than say i3 which due to it's tree-based structure is complicated to use.

dwm has like four key binds for moving windows (vim like so hjkl) and one bind to put the current window as master.

st is great too, though to be usable absolutely needs the scrollback patch. No idea why they just didn't implement it.
Using screen/tmux to handle scrollback sounds silly at best.
>>
>>61881252
>>61881312
Those are examples of bugs in systemd-related stuff that are actually valid, but completely dismissed by Lenny because he thinks they have no practical relevance, which is promptly refuted in the discussion, but he sticks with his original misguided beliefs.
>>
>>61882411
dwm or st is packager's hello world. If you just cd to cloned directory and make install, shame on you. Get dwm, write your patches and either learn how to apply custom patches to source based distro or make your own local package elsewhere.
>>
>>61882301
Go fuckyourself you piece of shit
You think I'm happy to say he is a globalist german? You think I smile when I upload a picture of a person that is destroying linux? You think it's alright for a shit coder that never wrote anything decent in his life to write the second most important piece of code and power debian (the most used distro in the world) ?
Die if you are not trolling. You are worse than a rapist and a serial killer. You are even worse than useful idiots like Lennart.
I wish it was legal to beat people like you in public and get away unpunished. I seriously hope in a future society we'll be able to take away the rights of destroyers of society such as yourself, not because it's fun to take away the rights of people but because you contribute to make society a very bad place to live in
>>
For a desktop or new AMD gpu laptop? PCLinuxOS.
Optimus Laptop? Suck it up, ubuntu or mint are your best choice as the manual gpu off load does not work on all systems.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>61881277
GENTOO
>>
>>61882411
Never tried dwm so can't comment but the attitude is just dumb. Loading a plain text file violates muh simplicity so let's compile all configuration in. As a bonus it keeps the normies out reee
>>
>>61883404

Explain how they're valid. Explain how they haven't been fixed by the commits.
>>
>>61883850
also don't forget to put whole project into single 5k lines long file
>>
>>61881196
>unix
>Plan9
Would you like a glass thrown in your face?
>>
>>61883570
Where exactly did I claim that I'm unable to do it?
I'm very comfortable using patches for dwm and currently I'm using around 4 of them.
I'm just saying that out-of-the-box usability of st could be greatly enhanced if they simply introduced the scrollback patch in the mainline cause frankly I don't know anyone who depends on tmux or GNU screen for this functionality.
>>
>>61883850
Just add some run-time configuration yourself, it's easy. I think other people already published patches that do just that.
>>
>>61884372
Yeah, that's fucking retarded.
Who uses a minimalist terminal emulator just to run something bloated like GNU screen on top to get basic functionality.
>>
>>61883850
>Loading a plain text file violates muh simplicity so let's compile all configuration in.
No idea how is it dumb or inefficient.
You're configuring your window manage once and you leave it to never touch again.

>As a bonus it keeps the normies out reee
Silly argument as well, config.h is laid so even someone with the most basic idea how programming works can figure it out.
Knowledge of C is not required at all, everything's in the comments, it's copy-paste-change value 99% of the time.

Let's not pretend that someone who just wants an out of the box DE experience would even look at a tiling window manager let alone dwm.
>>
>>61881166
Parabola with OpenRC
>>
>>61884417
Exactly my point.
I use screen only for rtorrent (doesn't play well with dtach unfortunately) and I get alone without it just fine. If it wasn't for the scrollback patch I would probably still use rxvt-unicode.
>>
>>61884428
>doesn't play well with dtach unfortunately
I use rtorrent with dtach - works fine for me.
>>
9front
>>
>>61881252
I love systems, simply because I've done so much privescalation. I should be thanking this dickhead for all my root shells
>>
>>61884446
share your setup then senpai.

mine goes like
alias rtorrent='screen -D -R -S rtorrentd rtorrent'

So typing rtorrent connects to existing rtorrent session or creates one if it doesn't exist.
I had troubles with both detaching the session (^a-d with screen) and refreshing the screen if the size of terminal window changes.
>>
>>61884607

You must be 18 to post on this website.
>>
>>61884773
I just use
dtach -A .dtach/torr /usr/bin/rtorrent
. I don't even bother with an alias, I just ctrl-r instead.

Had no problems detaching (ctrl+\) and terminal resizing works (I'm using urxvt)
>>
>>61884834
Well, your solution seems to work.
But after detaching and reattaching the session the arrow keys to navigate rtorrent do not work correctly. Left, down arrow outright do not to anything, up arrow pretends to be shift-a and right arrow resets download throttle settings to 0.

Do you have this problem as well?
>>
>>61881166
NetBSD
>>
>>61885039
No.
Could be related to your terminal settings.
Special keys can get screwy if you don't use the right termcap file, etc.
>>
>>61885131
Shit, might be. GNU screen doesn't seem that bad anyways.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.