[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is mozilla digging its own grave by removing support for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: Mozilla-12jan-1500px_logo.jpg (69KB, 1500x1061px) Image search: [Google]
Mozilla-12jan-1500px_logo.jpg
69KB, 1500x1061px
Why is mozilla digging its own grave by removing support for most extensions? The only thing that guarantees the existence of a userbase for Firefox is the customisabilty of the browser. What is the resoning behind this move beginning from firefox 57? Is there a solution? Waterfox may keep supporting the legacy addons but the devs, as it seems, won't.
>>
Nice FUD chromecuck, but all the essential extensions are ported to the new scheme already.

Also only retarded plebs run a suite of extensions. Enjoy your spyware hell chromecucks.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/chrome-extension-developers-under-a-barrage-of-phishing-attacks/
>>
>>61880645
I use ESR52 then will switch to SeaMonkey probably.
>>
Mozilla actually asked addon devs to tell them what APIs were needed and most will be supported by FF58. It's basically only pentadactyl/vimperator and downthemall that won't survive.

>>61880724
Seamonkey is finished forever as soon as they pull the plug on Gecko and switch to Servo.
>>
You wanna know why? Because deprecated abandoned extention loving, old unacceptable to new UI autists like you turn off telemetry for the sake of (((privacy))) . Mozilla uses telemetry (oh my Stallman he said the word) to find out how users are using the browser. Yeah, autist fags use nightly for speed and whatnot but you know what they do? Turn off valuable telemetry. If only normies using 1 to 2 extensions are the ones leaving telemetry on then it makes sense why Mozilla is doing this, they think it's okay. The Sam thing happened with windows 7 and windows 10. Everyone was turning of telemetry in windows 7,so Microsoft thought what they did with windows 10 was okay. So here we are now.
>>
>>61880715
I use firefox, and that's why I care about what's happening. If anything, you're a mozilla shill who is seeking the ruin of firefox.

>all the essential extensions are ported to the new scheme already.

So I assume you don't consider tab groups "essential"?
>>
>>61880741
What about Tabgroups , Beyond Australis, Tab Mix Plus?
>>
>>61880751
Maybe they should take a hint and don't rely on telemetry to gauge community interest?
>>
>>61880766
Who cares about those?
>>
>>61880751
They can't be too stupid to realise that their main userbase consists of power users. You're resorting to ad hominems but still have not explained why should UI take pritority on functionality. You should just use some chromium variant then.
>>
>>61880780
> I don't care so nobody cares
You are solipism at its finest.
>>
>>61880766

WHAT ABOUT BONZI BUDDY HUH?!
>>
>>61880810

If anyone really cares they'll reproduce the autistic desires with the new scheme.
>>
>>61880834
>>61880849

For real: chrome shill,

fuck off
>>
>>61880724
I don't think a year will change anything in their planning. And as someone else said, I don't think mozilla cares about Seamonkey long-term.
>>
File: jewish-creators-of-communism.jpg (257KB, 937x960px) Image search: [Google]
jewish-creators-of-communism.jpg
257KB, 937x960px
>>61880715
>>
>>61880645
>removing support for most extensions
that's a very dishonest way of describing what they're doing so I'll just stop reading
>>
>>61881308
I updated it and now my extentions are not working anymore

I don't give a fuck about your browser wars, I'm just a guy who occasionally checks /g/

they have made most of my addons broken, and I don't understand why they would make that change
>>
>>61880645
>Why is mozilla digging its own grave by removing support for most extensions?

If that's what you want to believe. lol
>>
So sick of these threads..

The way the current addon system works is it allows for direct modification of the engine/browser etc. This is great for the functionality it enables, but it allows fucking retards to do whatever they want in the engine and break stuff. The result is that the Mozilla devs couldn't make changes because they were aware that each time they did, it caused the addons written to interact with the engine to break core functionality, leading to slow downs, crashes and stupidity abounds.

They aren't just fucking off the addons. The browser engine and significant parts of the UI handling code is being rewritten. This means all of the addons were going to be seriously broken anyways, requiring a rewrite by most of the addon developers. Mozilla decided to fix two issues at the same time; stabilize the APIs used for addons and finalise the move to multi-threaded/sandboxed threads and start introducing "Quantum" code.

Install Firefox Nightly for an indication of what these changes cause, but holy fuck it's quick. Even makes browsing 4chan less painful. We are definitely losing functionality in the move, but that's true of any significant API change. The expectation is that they'll continue to be added over time.

All the people saying Firefox is becoming Chrome are either willfully ignorant or attrociously stupid. There's a lot more to it than that, and it's not even true. Honestly, the progress being made is excellent, it's just going to fucking suck until the addons APIs are finalised. Most of the addons we actually want are nearly there from a functionality perspective, but there are definitely going to be some losses along the way.

Oh yeah, try Nightly. It's surprising not shit.
>>
>>61881729
>>61881729
Also, for some reason my Nightly has a picture of Hobbes (I think?) from Calvin and Hobbes.

I figure that's got to be worth points to some people. Anyone who can tell me why though, would love to know..
>>
>>61881729
I'm using nightly because Google fires engineers for truth.
>>
>>61880755
> tab groups

Nightly containers? Anyway just wait a bit, you're using the pre-alfa branch.
>>
>>61881567
you're using a nightly build of the program, which is an unstable development snapshot not intended for daily use. if you don't want things breaking on you then use the stable release, or even the extended support release.

>and I don't understand why they would make that change
they're debloating the browser and transitioning to a new extension system. transitions often mean that stuff will be broken for a period of time. but then again, nothing would break for you if only you were using the version you're supposed to
>>
>>61881857
Yes, it's Hobbes. I wonder if the creator of C&H gave permission?
>>
>>61882630
I'm using the standard FF and they're telling me they're all legacy and appchan x isn't fully working
>>
>>61880767
That's dumb. Nothing wrong with anonymous telemetry
>>
>>61882743
>>61882743
You should check what version you're running. As I understand there are no blocks on legacy apps yet in even in standard Firefox.

I've had to replace Greasemonkey with Violentmonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/violentmonkey/

It's not a complete drop in replacement (some shit is still broken) but it's pretty close. Most things have alternates available.
>>
>>61880715
>but all the essential extensions are ported to the new scheme already

Could you please link to the ported versions of Self-Destructing Cookies, Greasemonkey, HTTPS Everywhere and DownThemAll please? Note that I want these addons, not inferior alternatives. Thanks.
>>
>>61882784
And FEBE, if possible.
>>
>>61882784
>>61882784
Being that autistic..

SmartHTTPS > HTTPS Everywhere
SmartHTTPS uses a better system for working out how/when to establish TSL/SSL connections.

Violentmonkey is a solid alternative to Greasemonkey, but it's not as good, and never will be. Thems the tradeoffs for a better general browser.

DownThemAll is dead. There will not be a replacement/alternative. They don't have the APIs in place as of yet, and have indicated they are unlikely to ever be added. That being said, there are alternatives through third parties. I like uGet personally.

If at the end of the day, you're still too devestated by the changes, time for you to put your big boy pants on and trade some tendies in for PaleMoon/Waterfox or any of the other forks or hold outs.

FEBE will be another one that dies. That said, there might be some way it can be reworked outside of the browser.

You have a single point in all this; Yes change can be a bitch, but it's not worth keeping the browser so enormously gimped by way of performance/security/functionality as it was before this move. Chrome was FUCKING THE ASS off of Firefox in all those metrics. Now Firefox is starting to take the lead again. You'll also find they're adding APIs for a lot of the addons you want to see in the future. Just means they need to be killed off and rebuilt first.
>>
>>61882743
>they're telling me they're all legacy and appchan x isn't fully working
no they're not
>>
>>61882889
>DownThemAll is dead
Long live jDownloader!
>>
>>61880645
Obviously because they want to annoy you, OP.
>>
>>61880645
thought all you /g/ fags were on netrunner now
https://netrunner.cc/
>>
>>61882889
>wanting to carry on using the same extensions you've been using for a decade is "autistic"

Not reading the rest of your desperate defence of master MozCorp. Provide the links to what I asked for or fuck off, you pitiful shill.
>>
>>61883129
>>61883129
>not being able to understand nor do his own research is absolutely "autistic".

It's not a defence. I told you to fuck off to another browser. Go do it.
>>
>>61880741
I never could find a good replacement for DownThemAll. Will it ever get forked to support the new system?
>>
>>61883299
>>61883299
DownThemAll hooks into the browser way deeper than the new framework is designed to support. Basically, it's not going to be supported. It's a real pity because it was very useful as a tool.

There might be some passthrough methods that can pass the downloads through to third party tools, but for now, nothing.
>>
>>61883365
>>61883299
see
>>61882928
Not an add-on but better.
>>
>>61883375
>>61883375
Like I said, I prefer Uget ;)

Just depends on what you need. Only thing that I really miss from DTA is that it could hook Microsoft downloads that you can't get any other way I've found.
>>
>>61883375
Guess I'll have to look into Jdownloader.
>>
>>61883417
Look for portable versions. And get jPortable so you don't have to install fucking Java.
>>
>>61883407
>Uget
Too much for my portable FF 43.
>>
>>61883457
>>61883457
How so mate? They've got a portable version, no dependancies at all.. Also, runs on a toaster (with Debian).

http://ugetdm.com/
>>
>>61883492
Oops. Thanks.
>>
>>61883143
Already did. Enjoy shilling your dead browser for free.
>>
>>61883562
>>61883562
>Being here to argue about a browser he's already left because he doesn't like change. Still thinks he's not autistic..

I bet your mummy is so proud of you.. I hope you get all the big boy points. We should always reward retards who manage basic tasks.

>>61883528
>>61883528
Anytime. Hope it works for you :)
>>
>>61881729
I am not ignoring the speed improvements. But such changes you stated should have been done slowly and gradually. How long would it take in your opinion for the new extension api to be on par with the old one?

>>61882282
Seems like an acceptable alternative. How would it differ from Tab Groups?

>>61882771
You trust Microsoft to not sell what they know about you to advertisers because, they promised? Wake up.

>>61882959
Yes of course, that's what I was thinking too.

>>61883024
>Knows about netrunner.
>Calls others on the board "/g/ fags"
Pick one
>>
are there any good addons for bookmark organisation? Mine are a mess, split between bookmarks and "unsorted bookmarks", folders that got out of hand. Is there any way to just get a different view on it or different way to visualise the trees and paths?
>>
>>61883024
By the way by conveniently including a link to the website your are effectively shilling for it.
>>
>>61883842
If you're using firefox try this: chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul

It will open the bookmarks library fullscreen and it should be easier to organise it.

I too wonder why there is the word chrome in the link to this fullscreen bookmarks library.
>>
>firecucks complain about no extensions for brace
>mozilla removes extensions

>>61883829
>>61883829
Simple answer is it can't be. They're adding abstraction to avoid the breaking of the browser and addons. That said, the parts they are exposing, they'll be pretty close to their expected entry point as of FF58.

They've been making the changes slowly for ages desu. The introduction of e10 was the first step. They've gotten to the point that the next step has to be deprecating the old API to start moving things along. The issue is that tons of devs and people have been ignoring the impending end like kids avoiding doing their homework.

Regarding the TabGroups: They aren't even close. TabGroups functionality requires low level access to the browser, and Mozilla are removing that. Basically, it won't be back unless Mozilla implement it directly.

>>61884003
>>61884003
Chrome is a reference to the menus, back, forward, refresh, home, address bars and buttons. So what it's saying is basically menus->bookmarks etc etc. I used to wonder the same thing.
>>
>>61884170
How is brave superior to any other browser? Adblocking? I prefer using an addon for that. Don't worry, Ublock is being ported to the new api.

>>61884497
Thanks for the insight. How different should containers and Tab Groups be exactly? Why did the use the word "chrome"?
>>
The moment firefox stops supporting tree tabs i'm jumping ship.
>>
>>61880645
Using anything other than the standard features. Fuck this place is full of normies.
>>
File: 1495520588291.png (148KB, 804x1652px) Image search: [Google]
1495520588291.png
148KB, 804x1652px
>>61880645
>Why is mozilla digging its own grave by removing support for most extensions?
Worry not, they're now gonna become 1984. Once they do that, everyone will have to use Firefox to access the web.
>>
File: Containers.png (32KB, 1002x1064px) Image search: [Google]
Containers.png
32KB, 1002x1064px
>>61884571
>>61884571
Any time :) It's why I'm on /g/ (as stupid as that sounds).

Containers in nightly is quite cool, but it's a completely different idea.

Basically it lets you have multiple private browsing incidences. When you have 2 email accounts you want to be signed into at the same time, you sign in to one, then open private browsing and sign in to the other.

With containers, you can start a work container and a personal container. They are in the same window, have the same history access etc, but the cookies and state information is isolated to each container.

When I was at work, I would have a work container, a client container and a personal container. I'd be signed in to an email account in each, to my personal social media in the personal container, and the work social media in my work container.

Picture related. The bars of colour at the bottom indicate which container context the tab is running in.
>>
>>61884677
>>61884677
Retrospectively, I suppose you could use it for similar purposes? Just like using a scalpel to cut down a tree; you can do it, but not what it's designed for.

I was also thinking TabTree (my bad).
>>
>>61884677
Do you think that these containers could be in the current state or in a future modifiable state used as Tab Groups?
>>
>>61884751
>>61884751
Sure I suppose. Check it out yourself.

https://testpilot.firefox.com/

Install the test pilot addon, then install the Containers experiment. If you're running nightly, it's already integrated, you just click and drag down on the new tab button. Brings up a drop down that lets you select which container you want it in.
>>
>>61883299
if you mostly used downThemAll for downloading stuff from 4chan en masse I wrote a program in C that does just that
>>
>>61884971
I used it for the occasional en masse download, but mainly to accelerate downloads that were artificially slow and to automatically verify checksums.
>>
>>61880715
Downthemall was my only essential addon along with 4chanx
>>61884971
I have hydrus and 4chandownloader for that.
downthemall was for oldersite like elonauploader.
>>
>>61884775
Do you know why they chose the word "chrome" as reference?
>>
>>61885063
Are you going to release the downloader you built?
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.