[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucked are Androidfags when most phones don't have security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: axd8cxneck1y.png (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
axd8cxneck1y.png
49KB, 500x500px
How fucked are Androidfags when most phones don't have security patches? Should they be worried?
>>
Depends on if they're cucked by the carrier/manufacturer.
>>
>>61880636
Google don't even support their own products after three years.
>>
>>61880648
Google releases monthly security patches that are added to custom firmwares in short order. I'm using the latest one right now.
>>
>>61880660
>custom firmware

I wouldn't trust unofficial builds.
>>
>>61880626
You're fucked if you're stupid.
Just buy phones with official LineageOS support and you'll have all the up-to-date security patches you'll ever want.
>>
>>61880692
Well you're dumb then.
>>
>>61880626
No? Security patches mean shit. Nobody was ever affected by vulnerabilities. You can use your phone long after it reaches EOL. The only thing you lose in the long run is software compatibility because Google officially only supports android versions up to 2 before the latest one, and recommends that other devs do the same. But you can still use your phone normally.
Only garbage brands don't update phones anyway. It's common knowledge to anyone who cares that you shouldn't buy shit. Most people don't give a shit though and just want a cheap phone for communication and media.

>>61880636
>buying a phone from a carrier instead of directly from manufacturer
It's like you want to be cucked. Putting carriers in charge of updates is android's biggest flaw. Google is trying to fix this, thankfully.

>>61880648
It doesn't need to. Nobody other than iPoors use a 4+ year-old phone. By iPoors I mean people who buy second hand iPhones because "Look at me I have an iPhone I'm rich right guys xD". Even iPhone users buy every 2nd iPhone released, which is every 2-3 years.

>>61880707
This. We should all buy WileyFox.
>>
>>61880842
>Google is trying to fix this
No, Google is trying to make it easy for all involved parties to create updates. So far they have done so for the silicon manufacturers. If you really think that carriers and manufacturers are just going to start doing it, regardless of how easy Google makes it, Apple style you're gonna be disappointed.
>>
4 year old Xiaomi phones don't have this problem and still get the latest security patches monthly even if the Android version itself is old
>>
>>61880842
WileyFox is fine, but the list is bigger and they're constantly adding newer models to it:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
>>
If you don't install random APKs that you found on some russian website then you will be fine. Default settings for all phones are only to allow installs from the Play Store, which is perfectly safe
>>
>>61880861
I have no doubts carriers will ignore it. But android should enable both carriers and manufacturers to push updates whenever they need to, instead of ONLY carriers being in charge. Hopefully android will achieve that and manufacturers will be able to push their updates normally, as if the phones were unlocked. Carriers shouldn't even be in the picture imho. That's why I never buy phones from carriers.

>>61880884
I just mentioned it since it's the only brand I know that comes with CM (soon Lineage). Afaik any Google's device will always receive custom ROM support.
>>
>>61880901
Play store being perfectly safe is a common misconception
>>
>>61880901
>play store is safe
lots of malware has been found on it over the years
>>
>>61880692
Dafuq? Dint expect /g/ to be this stupid
>>
>>61880901
Yeah
According to legit "sources" all hackers are from either china or russia.
>>
>>61880626
Yes.
I wouldn't reccomend anyone an android phone if they don't want to get a nexus device or are willing to maintain their own AOSP build
>>
>>61880975
>/g/ is a singular entity
Also, that was most likely a new and/or summerfriend
>>
File: Screenshot_20170812-131048.png (108KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170812-131048.png
108KB, 1080x1920px
They can get good
>>
What I see in this thread is that Android isnt a enduser smartphone. That sucks.
>>
>>61881451
Is it hard to install lineage os?
>>
>>61881671
There's a reason why Apple has made more money than the entirety of other technological companies combined.
>>
>>61881855
Market a dumbed down toy for a super inflated cost then make the people buying it think money = quality.
>>
>>61880872
>t. Shill.
>>
>>61881671
What makes you think that? Are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>61880872
>>61881944
>Buy cheap popular phone.
>No support.

Fucking mediatek, my Moto g3 is on nougat.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.