[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of morbid curiosity, what does /g/ think about Debian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: logo_debian.png (82KB, 635x307px) Image search: [Google]
logo_debian.png
82KB, 635x307px
Out of morbid curiosity, what does /g/ think about Debian?
>>
>>61875685
It's great. anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong and has never tried it
>>
>>61875685
It turned to shit since it adopted systemd.
Use devuan instead.
>>
>I still use crunchbang
>>
>>61875715
What is wrong with systemd?
>>
>>61875808
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
It's terrible for a desktop system. Even the unstable branch packages lag well behind other distros.
>>
>>61875818
>arguments
Oh, so it's like an opinion formed about stuff that isn't even concrete? Nice feelings dude.
>>
>>61875818
Ah, you know you can trust a website called "without systemd" to be completely fair and honest in their evaluation.
>>
>>61875818
What the fuck is this? Write an article and source the "arguments". This looks like a clusterfuck no one would ever read/watch.
>>
My main computing device an xps13 is running debian stretch

Its comfy, Idk why people use other distros
>>
>>61875685
I use it for workstations. Debian stable + backports repo enabled is one of the most patrician setups.
>>
>>61875685
Haha :)
It's funny because you said "morbid curiosity" and Ian Murdoch killed himself! :)
Nice joke OP!!!!!!!!! :D
>>
>>61875685

debian + cinnamon is practically linux mint and linux mint is a great normie distro.... comfy AF

debian + unity is ubuntu and those nimrods put there fingers in their ears and drove of the edge of a cliff

debian is great base and whatever you make it... we owe the devs alot IMHO
>>
why isn't void on the FSF list? Isnt it as free as parabola?
>>
File: D.jpg (12KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
D.jpg
12KB, 512x512px
>It's the only way
>>
>>61875715
You can remove systemd from debian once you install it.

>>61875685

Right now, Debian is probably THE general purpose Linux distribution. It won't be forever (no Linux distro holds that title for too long) but for now it's king.
>>
>>61875839
>>61875849
>>61875871
>ask a question
>get an answer, with multiple sources
>lol no doesn't count, tl;dr, ur feelie weelies, etc.
>anything to avoid having to admit that there really are valid arguments against systemd and that you're just too stupid to set up your distro of choice without it

Welcome to /g/, roleplaying and skiddies.
>>
>>61875959

can someone tell me why the devuan .iso is xbox HUGE ? i went to give it a go the other day and it was 16gig ?
>>
File: Ahhhhh.gif (936KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
Ahhhhh.gif
936KB, 245x190px
>>61875999
>>>
>>
>>61875999
>arguments
I read several of the links and I couldn't find any that pointed exactly what was wrong with systemd in the source code (let alone the fact that that site is keeping an historical record of bugs that were already fixed, just for the sake of increasing these so called "arguments"). I didn't ask for your feelings about systemd, I asked for you to tell me exactly what was wrong with it. Point in the sourcedode something that's wrong with systemd or GTFO, because you don't seem to have any relevant input on this.
>>
>>61876032
it has literally every variation of it on there,
>>
>>61875685
in the stable version there is a bunch of software whose latest version is from 2013 or some shit. At least that was my experience with it, I was using some really old (and worse) version of gimp for a while and didn't even realize it. If you aren't going stable then what's even the point of using debian.
>>
>>61875808
>What is wrong with systemd?
/THREAD
>>
>>61876037
Not only are you bullshitting, but I'm not the guy who posted the link. I'm just pointing out the kiddos who don't want to admit there's a problem with systemd because they know fuck-all about moving away from it.
>>
it's simply no Gentoo
>>
>>61877142
Nice source code bro- Oh wait! You avoided the question instead!
>>
Botnet malware avoid
>>
>>61877268
>i'm taking CSIII, i know what i'm talking about
Just stop.

What question? People are rightly more concerned with what systemd's code does rather than how it's written at this point. You also don't have the technical expertise required to audit a "hello, world" program, let alone something as complex as systemd. You're just a kid roleplaying with a laptop and Linux.

And you're the one avoiding the tacit question here, not me. If you "looked at the code" in response to anything you read in that link, then you should have no problem demonstrating why you don't think there's any issues.
>>
File: 1458224497549.png (1MB, 2133x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458224497549.png
1MB, 2133x1200px
>>61875685
it's for lesbians
>>
>>61875685
It's pretty great. The only problem is compiling the five or six programs you need up to date. Snap and/or Flatpak should fix that eventually but progress is slow as molasses in February.
>>
>>61875685
i use it in a cluster setting for running Density Functional Theory calculations
>>
>>61877666
so true, i'm a lesbian and i do use debian
>>
>>61878854
cheers
>>
>>61876051
XFCE?
>>
>>61876051
What you mean different pic architectures ? I have heaps of 8gb sticks spare but not 16/32 that's just plain silly Devuan
>>
>>61875808
Ease of use, some people are butthurt they wasted so much time learning how to write good SysV-style init scripts.
>>
File: age_whisky.png (271KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
age_whisky.png
271KB, 450x338px
debian stable is like aged whisky
>>
>>61875685
It's great, I use it on my desktop.
>>
>>61875685
makes you kill yourself
>>
>>61875715
>devuan
>still uses SysVinit
Why would I intentionally use an inferior product?
>>
>>61880918

because i dont write init scripts on my laptop or server and i hate everthing poetering has done - just even pulse audio gives headaches to this day... i cant even use bt buds when producing with renoise
>>
File: Vespasian.jpg (334KB, 795x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Vespasian.jpg
334KB, 795x1024px
>>61875685
I like it.
>>
>>61875685
Debian is shit tier

honestly, only the Ubuntu family qualifies as a desktop OS
>>
>>61881221

FFS shill bro they cant even make up their mind on what DE they want to force on everyone

canonical is cancer.... cant believe debian has been pure for so long (except the D)
>>
>>61881255
> Ubuntu family
> family
you can use ANY DE

Ubuntu just werks, you don't have to run around and install dubious quality software to make everything work (wifi, sound, basic codecs)

Debian is a disgrace desu
>>
>>61875995
>Debian is probably THE general purpose Linux distribution

That's gay bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>61881380

> calling debian a disgrace
> ubuntu just works

those 3rd party codecs you either download or install are all the same across all the distros you sir have lost your freaking mind

i am giving you a time out from /g/
>>
>>61881488
>those 3rd party codecs you either download or install are all the same across all the distros you sir have lost your freaking mind

no, what debianfags are downloading are insecure untested bootleg versions from indonesian servers tempered by russian hackers
>>
>>61881534

fuck the Indonesians cracked md5 collision !

seriously man it just the same code that came with your iso

or just email the multimedia in hex to your MIPS machine and read it manually like stallman does
>>
>>61881605
you don't even get a md5 sum when you donwload that shit because it doesn't come from official repos
>>
I love it. Even if it's glacially outdated by design, it's the closest example of what I think the pure Linux experience should be. If I still had time for Linux to be a toy/hobby I'd probably be running it. And before anyone says it I'm equally cool with Devuan. You do you.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.