[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

- /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 37

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources. If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet? https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
>>61873132
whatever happened to last thread?
>>
File: cec.png (278KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
cec.png
278KB, 600x503px
I have to use windows for playing my PC games, but I would like to move from Windows to Linux for everything else.

Any tips for this? I was thinking of making a partition on my main drive for Ubuntu and dual boot with win10.
How much space does that partition need, just the specified space for the installation or more?
>>
Is BFQ a meme?
>>
>>61873349
I haven't installed Ubuntu in ages, so I can't remember how much space it gives to your partitions, but when I dual booted, I gave root 40gb but I could've probably use just 30), and the rest was the predetermined spacing.

If you have relatively new hardware and want to use linux as your main OS you could take a look at gpu passthrough via qemu/kvm. It's not hard, but you'll need some basic knowledge about udev rules, loading/removing kernel modules, and maybe changing kernels.
>>
I am trying to play Dwarf Fortress with sound in gentoo, but it says
data/sound/filename.ogg not found, sound not loaded

for several files even though i know they are in that folder. What can i do to fix this?
I installed all the dependencies that it asked for.
>>
So it seems that urxvt has larger spacing between lines than some other terminals because it adds a space for underlines?
Is there no way to disable underlining altogether, or to tell it to just let the underline overlap with any characters?

Because I'd much rather have 1 less pixel of spacing per line than to have underlines which I pretty much never use or see.
>>
>>61873581
You can try running it under strace to check it is actually getting an ENOENT and not just printing that error message for some other reason. Eg
strace -fefile -s99 -o /tmp/dorf.trace dorf.exe
(it'll run slower than normal) then search /tmp/dorf.out for mention of one of the problematic files.
>>
>>61873349
Basically what this guy said here >>61873492
I just want to add though that gpu passthrough requires you to have 2 GPUs. One of them can be an iGPU like the ones included in Intel CPUs, but amd CPUs do not have iGPUs.
>>
File: underline-crop.jpg (10KB, 360x94px) Image search: [Google]
underline-crop.jpg
10KB, 360x94px
>>61873643
I would like that too if you find out but it looks to me like the underline is higher than the low point of letters with dangly bits, like the y and p in pic related. So not sure that is the reason.
>>
>>61873650
show severals open attempts at files but i think they are symlinks because next line it opens at the real location. But the specific /data/sound files return 0. That means it's okay right?
>>
>>61873702
I think there's different levels though. Because the cursor underline is blow everything.

Enter this in a terminal to temporarily set your cursor to an underline:
echo -e '\e[3 q'

You can then see that it shows up below the other underline. Whereas if I do this on other terminals the underline cursor shows up higher
>>
>>61873891
sorry. i mean they open attempt returns with 10 and 12
>>
Why does CSGO stutter like a motherfucker in Manjaro KDE (RX 470)?

Graphics settings on high/low/multicore rendering enabled/disabled, resolution...doesn't make a difference, on the title screen Steam's FPS counter will show ~150fps but ingame, it jumps between 25-30fps to 100ish intermittently and is stuttery as hell.

I already tried deleting those libs in ~/.steam/root.
>>
>>61873968
Forgot to add, on the open-source amdgpu mesa drivers since the proprietary ones aren't supported by manjaro yet.
>>
>>61873929
Yeah, those are the new file descriptors.
It is probably getting an error from openal and catching all just reporting all errors from that block with the same message.
>>
>>61874117
is there a way to read the error directly from openal?
>>
>>61873968
I think some people get that as a problem with some cpu governors that dynamically adjust performance too rapidly
Try running:
cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 2 -g performance

for each core on your machine (you can check how many you have with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" for example with 8 cores you'd see cores 0-7 listed)

This will turn off any automatic scaling of cpu performance and just set it to the max. To go back to normal replace "performance" with "ondemand" and do it again.

If this fixes your issue you could script it to turn performance up right before you launch csgo and then go back to ondemand when you're done.
>>
>>61873492
wait so I can just run windows in a VM and use my GPU?

nice, time to move to gentoo I only use this POS OS for games
>>
File: underline_blinky-crop.jpg (4KB, 277x22px) Image search: [Google]
underline_blinky-crop.jpg
4KB, 277x22px
>>61873901
Maybe it is just your font that makes it look like that.
>>
>>61873132
why is slackware such a great distro?
>>
Hi I just made the switch from Windows to Arch and I'm browsing this site now with Konqueror. It sucks.

What is the browser /fglt/ usus?
>>
>>61874252
Firefox nightly is pretty great.
>>
Is it worth it to learn to use expect?
>>
>>61874252
Icecat, chromium if you don't mind the botnet, firefox was okay until version 53, now it's utter shit, don't even bother with it.
>>
>>61874137
Dunno but according to https://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/blob/master/g_src/music_and_sound_openal.cpp
it is using libsndfile and not bothering to report the error. It has a pretty simple API so you could try writing a tiny test program.
>>
>>61874312
What happened to Firefox? I heard it got invaded by SJW's but I don't know if that's true.

I DO mind the botnet, but Chrome is pretty awesome. On windows I used ungoogled chromium and it worked great with plugins like vimium, but sadly I'm too retarded to compile it myself.

Are there any non-botnet chromium based brothers?
>>
>>61874327
so this method
sf_open(filename.c_str(), SFM_READ, &sfinfo)

is returning a null pointer.
>>
>>61874368
i mean function
>>
>>61874140
Yes, but as >>61873667 said, you'll need 2 gpus (or one gpu and one igpu), that's because you'll need to unloas the gpu you'll use to passthrough from the kernel on boot.

You can modprobe and use it on your host after you boot, but you can't boot with that gpu as your main host gpu AND pass it through to your VM.
>>
Some games falsely detect my sound card as 5.1 even though there's only 1 analog stereo connected to it
How do I force ALSA to only allow stereo?

For example, Civilization VI and all Source engine games
>>
>>61874486
yeah I can use my IGPU and GPU but there'd be times where I'd need to use the GPU (I do some ML work in Tensor) as well
>>
>>61874368
Ye. Looks like your libsndfile wasn't compiled with ogg support. Try installing sndfile-programs and running sndfile-play on the ogg files to check. Maybe just convert them into wav or something.
>>
>>61874527
Just make a new PCM in your asoundrc with your hw device as slave and specify channels 2 in the slave description.
>>
>>61874547
i think you are right. I already had it installed. It gives me
File contains data in an unimplemented format

How do i emerge it with ogg support?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (183KB, 921x564px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
183KB, 921x564px
tfw I found out today that you can check your variables in bash scripts with if; then, else, fi. Why is GNUlix so great?
>>
>>61874741
if only checks exit status. test (aka [) is rather more versatile.
>>
>>61874138
Thanks for the suggestion, my terminal didn't find that command though.
>>
>>61874741
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>>
>>61874741
you obviously never had the joy the script with windows batch files
>>
/g/ I've used Linux last year, but because of work/colege, I came back to Windows, now I'm going for the dual boot, since things calmed a little.
I used mostly antergos (8~months) and ubuntu for few weeks, i liked antergos a lot, but the eventual maintenances were painful, I'm kinda newbie.
So here I'm, since I've done my research I got stuck between Manjaro and Mint, both seem friendly enough to manage. Ah, going with GNOME ofc.
So.. thoughts?
>>
>>61874768
my script only contains
if [ -d $DIRECTORY ]; then
%action
else echo "error"
fi

for now, so I guess I'm already using test?
>>61874775
much appreciated
>>61874797
no I haven't, are you saying it's more difficult?
>>
>>61874868
>Manjaro and Mint
I thought they were both jokes?
>>
>>61874868

Manjaro is okay, but I'd rather use just Arch.
Check Artix and devuan too. Easy to use and you avoid any systemd inconvenience
>>
>>61874935
Mint is.
>>
>>61874868
I am also noob, used Ubuntu briefly in the past and was not a fan, I installed Manjaro KDE and have been loving it. Definitely recommend.

Also, previous to that I tried Mint, but thought it was also too simplistic a la Ubuntu. Love that AUR.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-13_11-09-08.png (24KB, 719x567px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-13_11-09-08.png
24KB, 719x567px
Why isn't pic related a default thing for a fresh Xubuntu installation on an Intel HD graphics machine? It removes the infamous tearing of Xubuntu with what seems to be no drawbacks.
>>
File: food-stamp-RFID.jpg (973KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
food-stamp-RFID.jpg
973KB, 3872x2592px
Is void as free as parabola or trisquel?
I want to install a free distro without systemd
>>
Does the Ubiquity installer normally hang when using one of the normie "recommended" partition schemes, or does it only happen when a competent user has a particular use case in mind?
Either way how do I unfuck myself if I have a hard drive without an operating system and an installer that won't install?
>>
>>61874731
I think it was the minimal flag. Now without it it works. Thanks for the help.
Now i need to know why TEXT mode doesn't work. Something with not finding any flavour libncursesw/libncurses
>>
rec me a non systemd distro to use from debian
>>
>>61875344
>>61875550
Do you lot even know why you don't want to use systemd?
>>
I swear to god I'm going to smash this piece of shit. So, I have some problems with my homeserver. Runs Debian:
1) The disk block device names keep changing, rendering the system unbootable. No, I can't use UUID because it's a fucking SPARC system and SILO is a steaming piece of turd. How the fuck can I stop this bullshit?
2) I had a bonded network interface with a static IP and everything was working hunky-dory until I decided I wanted to install pi-hole. Now every time I start the system up every single physical interface gets its own address for absolutely no fucking reason whatsoever, and the bond iface gets the static IP I had configured. Why the fuck is this happening? It's not in the goddamn /etc/network/interfaces file.
>>
>>61874770
The package which contains it should be something like "cpufrequtils"
>>
>>61875575
i'm reading the unix programming environment, and i see now that i'm not really using something with the soul of unix
>>
I can't wait until we have a mainstream nix-like or guix-like distro

and when new users ask what to install we just link them to a pastebin with an awesome /fglt/ tricked out complete config file
>>
>>61875612
You weren't using Linux in the first place. Install OpenBSD or Plan9 or whatever they're calling the open Solaris fork these days.
>>
>>61875590
> The disk block device names keep changing
Not sure it it'll work (especially in the ramdisk) but on my machine there is /dev/block/by-{id,label,partlabel,partuuid,path,uuid} folders that are presumably created by udev.

I dunno about that network shit. Are you using dhcp? NetworkManager?
>>
>>61875770
>Plan9
lol
>>
Hey /g/uys
I'm installing Gentoo on a new hd with the "~amd64" keyword set and it keeps failing to emerge dev-python/cryptography no matter what use flags I've tried. Is this common with the unstable branch? Should I just stick with the stable for now? I'd prefer up to date packages.
>>
>>61876016
>/dev/block/by-{id,label,partlabel,partuuid,path,uuid}
Thank you so much. Passing the root= bootarg with the disk id worked.

>Are you using dhcp? NetworkManager?
Nope, all static. This config was working until I installed pi-hole and rebooted.
My interfaces file looks like this:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The bonded network interface
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
bond-mode 0
bond-primary enp0s1f1
bond-slaves enp0s1f1 enp1s0f1
bond-miimon 100
bond-downdelay 400
bond-updelay 800
address 192.168.1.12
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-08-13_12-20-32.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-08-13_12-20-32.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
rate
>>
is it actually a good idea to install gentoo?
>>
>>61876158
no it's a joke
>>
>>61876141
not-the-thread-you-think-it-is/10
>>
>>61876179
sorry
>>
>>61876158
If you have to ask, then it's not for you.
>>
>>61876184
>Pass user since 2017
>>
>>61876158
>is it actually a good idea to install gentoo...
for?
>>
>>61876405
personal computing and work
>>
>>61876449
install gentoo
>>
>install openSuse
>notice that all videos can only play at 240-280p
>because MP4 codecs are not installed out of the box
>have to go to some weird website offering extra packages not shown in the normal package manager
What the actual fuck.

All these extra hoops for basic functionalities This is why Linux will never be popular.

You can get the package here:
http://packman.links2linux.org/download/ffmpeg/2848146/libswresample2-32bit-3.3.3-3.1.x86_64.rpm
>>
>>61876626
>>notice that all videos
On YouTube, that is.
>>
I just want to complain that the linux client for private internet access uses the deprecated net-tools package and it screwing with my laptop's suspend function
>>
What key is ^[[6~^?
>>
>>61876769
^~^
>>
>>61876792
>Alacritty - Another promising looking lightweight terminal
>without any scrollback
What the fuck is with this trend?

I don't understand. Having a terminal without scrollback is one of the most retarded concepts of development on GNU/Linux I've ever heard
>B-But it's not the job of a terminal to do multiplexing, use tmux
This also makes no sense at all. Under what definition of "multiplexing" does scrolling fall under?

and even if it was considered multiplexing I can't help but point out that these terminals already fucking have scrolling. When the screen is filled it scroll up, that means they already have the code in their terminal for shifting lines. Saying you can't just increase the buffer size and let it go the other way too is bullshit.
>>
>>61877214
Didn't mean to link that post
>>
File: 1479805573993.gif (1MB, 303x307px) Image search: [Google]
1479805573993.gif
1MB, 303x307px
>>61877214
Jeez Anon I just posted an emoticon.
I didn't know you would get so mad
Can you forgive me?
>>
>>61876103
Nevermind, got it working. Had to select the correct profile.
>>
>>61877321
No, I'm fucking pissed.
>>
File: 1502562424608.png (166KB, 400x430px) Image search: [Google]
1502562424608.png
166KB, 400x430px
>>61877362
Well fuck you too faggot
>>
File: anime_girl_sad.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
anime_girl_sad.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>61877362
>>61877395
>friendly

pls stop
>>
>>61875473
This problem has already been noted if anyone is wondering.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10270
I don't know if to blame ncurses6.0 or df.
>>
File: boi.jpg (24KB, 607x315px) Image search: [Google]
boi.jpg
24KB, 607x315px
what the fuck is up with audio visualizers
>cava looks like shit, but at least syncs correctly
>ncmpcpp is amazing but it's fifo-based so it unsyncs every ten seconds
fucking why
>>
>>61877550
https://github.com/dpayne/cli-visualizer
>>
>>61877214
It isn't a trend. It is a "I want to do a opengl backed terminal in rust" project. Basically personal development shit. Just ignore it.
>>
>>61877550
qmmp supports projectm (milkdrop from winamp2) as a plugin. Opengl backed and smooth as butter.
>>
>>61877630
>opengl backed terminal in rust
Isn't that all good though? Maybe experimental, sure. But wouldn't that actually make a pretty efficient, fast, lightweight terminal application?
>>
>>61877214
>>61877630
>>61877897
Actually on github they say they got so much pushback for not having scrollback that they're adding it now
>>
File: pocky.jpg (223KB, 1280x1580px) Image search: [Google]
pocky.jpg
223KB, 1280x1580px
Daily reminder that it's OK to keep a snack between your toes for later consumption
>>
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ sudo apt-get install openvpn
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>Suggested packages:
> resolvconf
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
> openvpn
>0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>Need to get 0 B/477 kB of archives.
>After this operation, 1,116 kB of additional disk space will be used.
>Preconfiguring packages ...
>Selecting previously unselected package openvpn.
>(Reading database ... 46247 files and directories currently installed.)
>Preparing to unpack .../openvpn_2.3.4-5+deb8u2_amd64.deb ...
>Unpacking openvpn (2.3.4-5+deb8u2) ...
>Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
>Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
>Setting up openvpn (2.3.4-5+deb8u2) ...
>Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ openvpn
>-bash: openvpn: command not found
>
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ dpkg-query -l | grep openvpn
>ii openvpn 2.3.4-5+deb8u2 amd64 virtual private network daemon
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ openvpn
>-bash: openvpn: command not found

what the fuck
>>
>>61878404
nevermind I had to run as sudo wtf
>>
>>61875273

It's not Xfce exclusive first of all.

Because it gives a slight performance toll (according to some sources). The Intel DDX driver is also very old (unless you distribution packages development builds) and some people have no problems just using the modesetting driver and that one doesn't support that option.
Also it's not hard for users to enable it themselves.
>>
>>61875344

>apparently is a power user who doesn't need systemd
>doesn't know how to look up online some basics facts

Go here >>>/trash/
>>
>>61875612

Then you better replace 90% of other software too, you retard.
>>
>>61876141

Wooooow, you installed software other people wrote and applied a wallpaper and theme other people made. wooooow you are a god, that is impressive, your... whatever is impressive you are so cool it totally represents your soul everyone approves of you well done nice cool i like it

Stop posting you imbecile.
>>
how can void be so good. I'll be using this distro for the rest of my life as long as the head behind it doesn't run out of pesos or whatever the fuck money spaniards use.
>>
>>61878540
What's so good about it?
>>
File: p5dsm3akksyy.jpg (87KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
p5dsm3akksyy.jpg
87KB, 640x427px
>>61878613
It's simple, regularly updated, has all the packages I want and I've been using it for the last 8 months with no breakages from updates. What more can you want from a distro.
>>
I missed the tiling WM boat for X, thinking about getting sway set up for Wayland with my new Ubuntu 17.10 alpha, how easy is it make sway just werk? Does it need a lot of configuring to get it to work?
>>
>>61875645
This. But what's stopping us from doing this now
>>
>>61878736
I don't think those distros are ready for "install gentoo" levels of hype yet.

We could do it though just to have something to give anyone interested in trying those distros out, so they have a reasonable system declaration to play with rather than having to waste time starting with nothing and piecing it together.
I guess that'd still be pretty cool.
>>
How do I make it so deluge is my default magnet link opener

Transmission is trash I'm tired of using this
>>
>>61878736
>>61878792
I guess a good starting place would just be to try and re-create the "Clover OS" /g/ has made. That would also turn some heads I think as a demonstration of how awesome declarative package management can be, since we'd have through simple config files what they offer through ISO format
>>
>>61878845
You mean in a file manager or when you open it from a browser? The browser should have its own settings for that. I know firefox does
>>
>>61878847
This is what I don't get about clover and similar "projects", we should have spearheaded declarative Linux from the get go. We still can.
>>
>>61878858
I couldn't find it in the content settings of chromium
>>
>>61878876
I don't know, but that's something which I think should be operating system independent because it's just a browser setting. So you could probably google how to do it even on windows and the solution would work for you
>>
>>61878864
Do you think it could work though without the user needing to actually install the full OS (nixos or guixsd)?

I know you can just download those package managers on any distro and use them, but I don't think it's quite the same. I mean it probably is good in that context to just act like a container system for your software, but to actually do what we have in mind I think would require installing a full OS tailored to work with these declarative package managers.

And that's why I'm not sure if the time is really ripe to start this yet.
Our best bet would probably be NixOS, but I don't think the entire community would get behind it as long as NixOS is still using systemd. It'd be kind of a fractured project with a lot of shitposting and probably even some people outright trying to stop people from using it.
>>
>>61878947
No one except for an autistic and wrong minority cares slightly about systemd.
As for your question this is the first thing I asked on this general when I started looking into NixOS and GuixSD. From what I understand you can "inject" the config either from an external source (I.e. URL or USB drive) during installation or do it immediately post-install.
>>
>>61878845
Couldn't you just uninstall Transmission if you don't like it?
>>
what's wrong with transmission I think it's great
>>
>>61879595
Nothing, it works. It just don't respect umask.
>>
File: 1497631965120.png (51KB, 539x253px) Image search: [Google]
1497631965120.png
51KB, 539x253px
can I securily remove all kernels except the current one?
>>
>>61876141

Lovely.
>>
>>61880261
It's always a good idea to keep at least one older kernel as fallback. You can delete all others.
>>
>>61880283
makes sense
>>
>>61874252
Firefox dev edition, switching back to regular Firefox when 57 hits.
>>
>>61878461
/sbin and /usr/sbin are kept out of non root users' PATH on Debian by default as a security measure.
>>
>>61873132
hot!!
>>
>>61876141
remove terminal transparency
remove that ugly green panel icon
get some terminal colors matching the wallpaper
>>
So am I correct in thinking my GPU (laptop Intel HD 4000) or any GPU would benefit from using Wayland instead of Xorg?

Is that the reasoning behind Wayland? Also is it more multi-core/multi-threaded than X?
>>
>>61880971
>more multi-core/multi-threaded than X?
Ho yes. It's fucking usefull to have multicore for a GUI.
>>
>>61881125
Sorry, but are you being sarcastic? It wasn't clear from the tone of your reply and I'm autistic.
>>
>>61881149
No. Multicore is fucking useless for a GUI. A human brain is not that fast.
>>
>>61881157
Pffff, fleshbags...
>>
>>61881157
But what if you have a lot of different applications open, it would help then wouldn't it?

Do you mind explaining the reasoning behind Wayland then? Because it doesn't make sense to me unless there was something to gain from writing a new display stack.
>>
>>61881187
>But what if you have a lot of different applications open, it would help then wouldn't it?
No. Your brain is too slow to see a difference. Stop dreaming anon.
>>
>>61881227
Then what is the fucking point of Wayland??
>>
>>61873459

Nope, but you should know that it's faster only in marginal cases ( but in those cases, nothing even compares to it ). Just as with MuQSS, which is faster on "corelet" hardware ( < 32 cores, I think ) and by 1-2% or something
>>
>>61881243
>fucking point of Wayland??
Good question. It's just a cleaned X, but nothing more.
>>
OpenRC newbie here. How can I run a service in firejail? I tried various places to inject the "firejail" prefix there, but none worked so far.
>>
What's the best graphical mpd client?
I've used ncmpcpp for a while now, but I miss album art, and since I use ncmpcpp over ssh to delete songs the scripts for album art dont work
>>
File: choose web 2.0.png (56KB, 751x342px) Image search: [Google]
choose web 2.0.png
56KB, 751x342px
If I rsync a remote folder with 30GB of data on my fileserver to a local folder on my laptop, is there any way to save the files as a compressed tar.gz archive without removing rsyncs ability to only transfer the files that have changed?
I'm thinking that
rsync remote local.tar | gzip

would transfer all 30GB every time. Am I wrong?
>>
>>61881157
>>61881149

The human eye can't see more than 1 process anyway.
>>
>>61881320

>ncmpcpp over ssh
I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt before I call you retarded.
Why do you do that?
>>
>>61881411
Allows me to delete files locally, otherwise I wouldn't.
MPD is ran on an SBC, not local
>>
>>61874353
How about Brave?
>>
>>61879503
>autistic and wrong minority
Autistic perhaps, but wrong?

You know sperging out or memeing about something goes both ways. You might be the one doing it yourself and not even realize it. Anyone who is even remotely tech literate who takes an honest look at systemd will have to recognize that it is basically a giant leap toward the Windows way of doing things (that is to say, toward software that thinks its smarter than you and doesn't give a fuck about you if you aren't doing things 100% in line with what it says you're supposed to do)

You either see it, or you don't know enough about systemd.
>>
>>61881603
isnt brave botnet?
>>
>>61873667
this kills the ryzen for me.
>>
>>61881920
as they declare, brave dont spy u and block web trackers and ads.
https://brave.com/privacy/

Brave its in beta on PC but mobile version is great.
>>
>>61882011
looks interesting
>>
Anyone here used NixOS or GuixSD? Which is going to win out?
Am I right in thinking that the NixOS configuration (i.e. when you create the configuration file) can only happen post-install?
>>
>>61881466

I don't understand. How does ssh influence ncmpcpp's ability to delete files?
>>
>>61882203
It shouldn't. But maybe there is something in the environment.
>>
>>61878720
bump
>>
>>61882332
I have no answer but I regonized your bump.
*internet hug*
>>
>>61881334
one solution would be to use a compressed filesystem (image) on your laptop to hold the files
or just extract the files, rsync, then recompress
>>
>>61882593
I've settled on this solution
1. create backup.tar.gz from uncompressed local backup of files
2. rsync remote to local backup without compression
the idea was always to have multiple backups, and this way the last backup will be uncompressed but rsync-able. Less than ideal, but flexible enough for future improvement, for example like you suggested.
>>
>>61882745
There is a -g option to tar.
>>
>>61882166
>can only happen post-install?
No. The installer uses your config file, part of the process is to set one up or reuse one you already have.

>Which is going to win out?
Too difficult to say. Everyone pretty much agrees that Guix is the better declarative manager, but GuixSD has some design choices that most aren't too familiar/comfortable with. NixOS will be a bit more familiar.

I think it's likely though that neither will win out and instead we might just see other distros replacing their current package management in favor of guix or nix and one of those will win out.
>>
can I just stuff about the filebrowser the browser opens when I download or open something? I wanna change the filename when it goes to another director.

eg. when I have a duplicate file name like this download(1)
>>
I dual boot Debian and W10. I tried rm -rf for shits and giggles in the root folder and apparently it also deleted W10 partition contents. How did this happen? I thought different partitions with operating systems in them don't interact with each other
>>
>>61883268
Lol, you killed grub.
>>
>>61883268
Your win partition was probably mounted. But don't worry, nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>61883268
if you didn't specify --one-file-system, and the windows volume was mounted, then rm would have gone into the windows volume mount
that's how it works, /everything/ is mounted under "/", other volumes, external volumes, network shares, etc
>>
Would there be any benifit to building a stripped down kernel for my crypto mining rig? I wouldnt think so, as it has plenty of unused RAM and CPU.
>>
I've been easing myself into Linux for a while using Mint on my laptop. What's a good distro to try next without going as deep as, say, Arch?
>>
>>61883387
debian
>>
>>61883387
Debian GNU/Linux
>>
>>61883387
since youre familiar with apt, try debian
>>
File: 1477777833313.jpg (2MB, 6417x4392px) Image search: [Google]
1477777833313.jpg
2MB, 6417x4392px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>61883611

cpupower frequency-set --governor powersave

makes your computer extra cool
>>
>>61883387
Devuan
>>
>>61883611
w3m ~
>>
i need to do some low level bus fuckery to manipulate the hdmi i2c bus. ddccontrol doesn't detect it which is ominous but i was able to use dxva2 on windows just fine. does anyone know if it's even possible to directly manipulate low level serial busses on linux through a high level language like python? i'm not willing to undergo the bloodletting and arcane rituals required to get C to work on anything more than 16 bits.
>>
>>61883977
>devuan
>packages older than on debian stable
>>
>>61884077
>using stable on any debian derivative
>not using stretch

who does that?
>>
>>61883387
What specifically don't you like about Mint? Besides, Arch is only pre-Gentoo, which you should just install if you're already getting bored.
>>
>>61883387

Arch was pretty easy to learn after struggling with ./configure && make && make install on *buntu and salix back in 2011.
>>
File: 1485417956600.jpg (101KB, 853x853px) Image search: [Google]
1485417956600.jpg
101KB, 853x853px
>>61883983
this is great
>>
>>61884143
>arch is pre gentoo

No, arch is arch, gentoo is gentoo, there's no path to follow on your journey to find the distro that fits your needs better.
You can jump from Ubuntu to Gentoo if you want to, you just have to know you shit, and using arch, or any other distro for the matter, won't magically give you that knowledge.
>>
>>61884226
Except that Arch doesn't serve any purpose other than to practice using a manual installer in preparation for gentoo or satisfy those too stupid to install it.
>>
>>61884226

I learnt pretty much by using arch. Probably because it doesn't wipe your ass for you. It was a useful experience before gentoo.
>>
>>61884245
>Except that Arch doesn't serve any purpose other than to practice using a manual installer in preparation for gentoo

Again, wrong, if you want to install gentoo just install gentoo, arch install isn't a stepping stone for gentoo, if you see it that way you're must have learning issues, in that case I kind of see it justifiable to think that way.
>>
File: 1475857921985.png (153KB, 390x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475857921985.png
153KB, 390x768px
>>
Best distro without systemd?
>>
>>61884734
Devuan GNU+Linux
>>
>>61882901
>No. The installer uses your config file, part of the process is to set one up or reuse one you already have.
Yeah, but how do you "introduce" it during the install process?
>>
>>61884734
install gentoo
>>
Is gentoo really good or is it just a meme?
>>
>>61884871
Funtoo
>>
>>61881245
I see. Thanks.
I've been using but I haven't noticed much difference so far compared to the CFQ.
I'm hoping BFQ will make the system more responsive since it can sometimes completely freeze due to swapping after a few days of uptime.
>>
>>61884734
OpenBSD
Or Gentoo if you're just a sperg.
>>
>>61883968
>bash: cpupower: command not found
>>
>>61885345

That's when you usually install it.
>>
>>61885363
or instead of installing a tool to set the governor, you could just set the governor directly
# echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy[0-7]/scaling_governor
>>
what distro do i install, i'm starting uni cs in two weeks

ps. no gentoo memes
>>
>>61885555
It's not a meme.
>>
>>61885578
i don't know how to gnu+linux but i know enough to know i don't know nearly enough to use gentoo
>>
>>61885555
ubungao
fediri
opansuuse
>>
>>61884799
It's a minimalist installer, sort of like installing Gentoo

When you boot into the installation CD you are left with just a terminal. You manually partition your disks how you want them, and when you're done you mount them.
Then you "generate a configuration.nix" and place it at /etc/nixos/configuration.nix on the harddrive.
So that's the part where you would replace the generated bare-bones config file with your own if you have a premade one.

Then you run install-nixos
>>
File: 1502544288062.jpg (270KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502544288062.jpg
270KB, 1280x720px
Openvpn won't resolve domains when i've connected to a server. My internet still works and all protocols are functional.

resolv.conf is populated when I connect.

Any ideas where to look?
>>
Best thread on Arch's forums right now.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=229088
>>
>>61886232
I got tired of posting a link on /g/ to the same aur-helper matrix years ago. People still recommend yaourt 10 to 1 over any other on /g/.
Also they, still say how arch teaches you about linux, while recommending a "helper" that isn't neccessary in the first place.
>>
>>61886086
Actually to elaborate a little bit more, you generate 2 files.
the "configuration.nix" is always the main one that nix looks for, but you're always allowed to prevent the file from getting too cluttered by moving stuff to separate files and just including it in your configuration.nix

So when you run the "nixos-generate-config" command it gives you a basic configuration.nix but also a "hardware-configuration.nix" which is included from the main config.

The hardware config contains things you probably don't want to change much, which is why they place it in a separate file (things like kernel modules you want built for your hardware and also the declaration of your partitions which)

So if I was using a premade configuration for nixos I would still run the generate command, keep the hardware config it gives you and just replace the configuration.nix
>>
>>61885010

That's exactly where BFQ shines as I remember.
>>
>>61885539

I'd write a shorthand for it anyway, just as I did for this. I use it because I want the powersave to be the default governor but you can't set it in the kernel config. Yeah, workaround, but it werks.
>>
I settled with gentoo for the USE flags and to be without systemd. Can I compile my software in GuixSD just as easily as I do in gentoo, or users need to do the usual git clone whatever && cd whatever && ./configure && make && make install?
>>
File: linux-mint-error.png (37KB, 730x484px) Image search: [Google]
linux-mint-error.png
37KB, 730x484px
brand new to linux. trying to follow g's linux mint install wiki. when I boot for the first time it does the countdown then i get this error. google failed me.
>>
>>61886940

It's hardware error. Did you correctly set up the virtualbox and chose the right liveCD?
>>
>>61886991
i followed the virtualbox setup in the wiki word for word, even re-did it 3 times.
i chose the .iso file that i downloaded. it's the only .iso i currently have. 32-bit linux mint MATE 18.2
>>
>>61886940
Scroll up.
>>
>>61887043
what's the key combo?
>>
>>61887106
shift+pageup
>>
Been meaning to ask with all the nixos talk, is gentoo basically something like nixos but with the added step of compiling?

nixos/guixsd make sense to me, compiling everything like a fucking retard does not (considering someone could and should just do that shit for you like every other distro ever).
>>
>>61887408
can't adjust the featureset or optimize for your cpu with precompiled binaries
it'd be pointless if installing a gentoo package yielded the same binaries every time, but that isn't the case
>>
>>61887408
Gentoo is a distro like every other distro with the difference that you compile your programs instead of downloading a precompiled binary, this allows you to make many tweaks, add, or remove features of a packages like you want.

You can see GuixSD and NixOS like extended package managers where you can roll back and forth, like you want. That way you aren't tied anymore to specific program versions.
>>
post your wm history
>awesome
>dwm
>mcwm
>evilwm
>cwm
>twm
>>
>>61887581
forgot to add swm and wmutils after dwm
>>
>>61887520
rpm and deb based distros have src repositories, enable src repository, download edit build package.
>>
>>61887408

I have an 8 year old hardware and compiling doesn't kill this stuff even if I force the clocks down to 800MHz all the time. It also does wonders to system size and memory usage ( OK, while compiling, it needs A LOT space ). Kernel requires 40MB and keeps getting smaller as I cut stuff I don't use. Compiling isn't as bad as it sounds. I came from Arch.

>>61887581

gnome
lxde
openbox
enlightenment
kde
gnome 3 for a small time
kde with tiling script
awesome for months ( got into tiling )
enlightenment for a summer ( has tiling )
kde ( with tiling of course )
fluxbox ( I can live without tiling because it can remember the last window parameters, and I always multitasked on several desktops, not several apps on one desktop. Pic related
>>
>>61887581
metacity
i3wm
awesome
dwm
openbox

love the idea of wmutils, will try it maybe when I find time
>>
>>61887728
is that WM using a compositor?
>>
>>61887786

I don't use compositor, but one could use xcompmgr to achieve transparency and stuff. It's buggy, sometimes it removed my window decorations. Others might be luckier. Fluxbox is stacking, it's the evil twin of Openbox. More bloated in some people's eyes. but I like the "toolbar" and the "slit". On gentoo, you can compile without support for the slit.
>>
File: part1.png (4KB, 887x159px) Image search: [Google]
part1.png
4KB, 887x159px
I think this have to be posted sometimes.
1/4
>>
>>61887894
fluxbox supports tabbing windows.
>>
File: part2.png (22KB, 881x463px) Image search: [Google]
part2.png
22KB, 881x463px
>>61888010
>>
File: part3.png (22KB, 893x434px) Image search: [Google]
part3.png
22KB, 893x434px
>>61888030
>>
File: part4.png (319KB, 1600x2560px) Image search: [Google]
part4.png
319KB, 1600x2560px
>>61888051
>>
>>61888013

Yeah, I use that feature in special cases, like tabbing different web browsers, private modes, etc. , or tab less-used daemon-like apps ( keepass for keepasshttp and torrent. Or I could use it to achieve tab -like functionality in non-tabbed functionality in non-tabbed terminal emulators. DESU, I never really wanted to learn how to use a terminal multiplexer.
>>
>>61888095
Kek I got rekt by the wordfilter. So anime site after all.
>>
>>61888079
can't understand if he's the cuck or the cucker.
>>
>>61888194
>>61888079
I think he is the cucker, but it's like he have a trap/sissy fetishism
Hard to tell
>>
>>61887496
yeah but can you build everything declaratively or not? listening to that other anon mention how compiling wasn't so bad makes it sound like a possiblity now.

The bigger thing is whether I can do everything through one or two config files though. This is the reason NixOS or GuixSD are going to take off very soon.

Trust me, declarative distros are the next big thing, get in on the ride while it's still early days.
>>
>>61888079
based stallman
>>
>>61888636

When it gets something like the use flags, I'll try GuiX out. Nah, gentoo doesn't have declarative builds.
>>
>>61888764
What's so great about use flags?
>>
>>61888835
USE flags are a meme just like Gentoo is.
>>
>>61888835
You can disable functionality you don't like or don't need.
> disable geoclue support in redshift
> disable vdpau support ( hardware acceleration is buggy on my gpu )
> disable systemd support in everything
> disable pulseadio support in everything
> disable kde and gnome support in your wm
> build every package with support for opencl

USE flags are control over what you have and don't have. They aren't as extensive as I'd want it to be ( I'd like to disable rar support in calibre. Hell, the package manager is awfully slow but I like the power it gives me.

USE flags are memes just as much as gnu/linux is.
>>
>>61888959
or for short: wasted time
>>
>>61889014
Time isn't wasted when you enjoy what you do.
>>
>>61889014

this: >>61889030

It depends on your preferences. I like this functionality.
>>
How do you guys share around your public ssh keys between your computers/devices? Do you use something like github or launchpad or bitbucket?
>>
>>61886731
The biggest differences in the compiling experience are:

* No USE flags (you can still specify similar build options and things in the config file but gentoo makes it MUCH easier. Note, however that USE flags is something which could theoretically be added to guix/nix in the future, they are still young and under a lot of development)

* On GuixSD/NixOS most of the time things aren't compiled anyway, because of their declarative nature they claim that the version they build on their build servers and the version you would build yourself should be 100% identical bit-for-bit. So the first thing it does when installing a new package is to check if a build is available for download, if not then it continues on to compile it itself.
This is not a necessity, it's just a convenience feature for the user since downloading is usually faster than compiling it.
>>
>>61887408
See >>61889503
Gentoo is not retarded anon, building from source has a lot of advantages.
GuixSD/NixOS also make use of compiling. It's these distros that have the added step, not Gentoo. The added step they have is they will download the binary if it's available.

It's not just a hybrid binary/source distro.

The reason is because the binary downloads you get from their build servers on GuixSD/NixOS are supposed to be identical to what you'd get if you built it. That is completely different from other binary distros. Essentially you're using a completely source based distro but because of the elegance of the declarative package managers you don't actually have to do the compiling most of the time.
>>
File: 1501609647260.png (597KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1501609647260.png
597KB, 1024x768px
Which distro is the endgame distro? Gentoo? Or something comfy like Debian? Or something different? Where does it all end when you gained enough knowledge?
>>
whats everyone's favorite font?
>>
>>61890143
NixOS or GuixSD. Declarative is the future of Linux
>>
>>61890143
For me, Ubuntu LTS.
After 5 years of distrohopping and 3 years with arch, I have now used Ubuntu LTS for work for a couple of years.
Some things you just have to compile yourself anyway, but it makes sense to use what your coworkers are using.
>>
>>61890143
Gentoo
>>
>>61890143
lfs
>>
>>61890143
With whatever you want
>>
File: 1431017745225.jpg (126KB, 1015x651px) Image search: [Google]
1431017745225.jpg
126KB, 1015x651px
>>61890143
I know you might be half joking, but believe it or not, you're living in a time where we actually have an answer: >>61890369

I actually suspect that thanks to these package managers the whole mess of having 1000's of different distros is going to be cleaned up.
Because even now the single biggest difference between distributions are the repositories they get software from. That's really what it boils down to, but due to the difficulty of setting up an initial system people take it upon themselves to basically just do some configuration here and there, package it all up and call it a new "distro".

Well in a guix/nix world, what those people will be peddling is a config file, not an ISO anymore. So those kinds of distros are going to die completely. I mean they'll definitely still do the work, it's just nobody will think of them as "distros".
In order to be a true "distro" you'd basically need to be a maintainer of repositories (e.g. maybe just repositories of guix/nix files that contain the build instructions, so different repositories might have different default build instructions)

It would really unite the whole GNU/Linux world in unforetold ways.
>>
>>61890308
merriweather sans
>>
>>61890308
An old bugged version of NotoSansCJKjp that came out on Gentoo a while back

Pic related (in the middle). There are a lot of good modern fonts but most of them have this horrendously huge line spacing for some reason (probably because they want to unify desktop and fucking phone interfaces or some shit)

So once I found out this was a bugged font and it was never supposed to render like that I had to go and track it down to keep it forever.
Although there's probably a way to modify any font to get a good line spacing like this with fontforge or something, but I don't know how.
>>
>>61890878
Do you realize that this distro thingy is not just about package management?

It's also about:
> homemade software patches included ( e. g. for kernel, etc. ) which work only with other sofware only delivered by the distromakers
> init systems
> free as in freedom
> we don't like lisp syntax so we create and xml-based declarative package manager
> we don't want our users to edit config files to manage packages
> we want rolling release or really stable release
> whatever ( sjwfox, musl, stallmanh8ers, clang )

Declarative package management won't unify distros ( probably for the good even if like the idea of decl. pack. man. ). It's just another competing standard.
>>
File: Untitled.png (239KB, 1235x901px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
239KB, 1235x901px
Linux noob, trying out Ubuntu in a VM and loving it so far. One problem is I haven't found a fix for is Thunar only displaying small as hell thumbnails of my image folders when I go to upload pictures to 4chan. There a way to make these bigger so I don't have to scroll through each picture individually to see what they are?

It works fine when I just use the file manager by itself, it's only when I got to upload stuff that I lose the option to actually control the size of thumbnails.
>>
>>61891842

It's been like this for forever. File picker is so shity, there have been shitposts about it. There is a chance that if you use FF with kde filepicker, it might be better. Haven't used ubuntu since 2010, but the patchset is from opensuse, there may be a kde version in some PPA.
>>
>>61891567
But how do you go about making patches for software and even the kernel in guix/nix?

You either can explicitly declare the changes in the config files, or for much larger changes you still HAVE TO declare where to get those changes in the configuration, which means you'd be specifying to get it from a different repository.
Hence, like I said hosting a repository would be what defines a distro.

All the other stuff in your post still comes down to the repository
>we want rolling release or really stable release
depends on what's available in the repository, and not just availability but how all that software is configured

>whatever ( sjwfox, musl, stallmanh8ers, clang )
still would depend on repository. Even if you wanted to compile things with different compile tools or build options, those are specified in the build files that guix/nix get from the repository

Maybe I did go a little too far though in saying a lot of distros would die, I guess you don't have to host a complete repository, but in a guix/nix world you would need SOME kind of repository to be viewed as a distro, because otherwise all you're doing is linking people to some textfiles
>>
>>61891842
That's not Thunar.
Applications don't use file browsers for selecting to save/load files. It's a totally different thing entirely called a filepicker.

and unfortunately the people responsible for designing the filepicker used by most software were the victims of blunt trauma to the head. We let them keep developing to boost their self-esteem even though their software is shit.
But in our defense we thought their condition would improve, however it seems to actually have only gotten worse and shows no signs of slowing down
>>
>>61891915
>>61892142
That's a shame, thanks for the explanation!
>>
I fell for the meme now I'm installing gentoo. I'm 100% new to gnu/linux but I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure this shit out. Has the handbook not been updated lately? I'm noticing a lot of inconsistencies in commands and hex tables. Its not too hard to figure out, just mildly annoying.
>>
I think there's something wrong with my hardware and not Linux but maybe someone knows better. Basically when I try to install it takes decades to detect hardware and OS (anything related to hard disks I think). But once these steps are done it reads/writes fast to files. What could it be?
>>
>>61891842
there are patches for the file picker. as long as you have the right keywords you should be able to find the github.
>>
>>61892296
is it a PCI drive? then it's just how bios works, and taking out your sata drives may help.
otherwise, it's an HDD, and it's either failing or otherwise just a pile of shit.
>>
>>61892323
It's a SATA HDD. I don't know how likely those are to fail.
>>
>>61892323
I'll try to unplug the hard drive and run without. It took super long for the update grub step and now it's slow at setting clock up.
>>
File: smgl_pepe.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_pepe.png
27KB, 602x500px
Install Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>61891842
KDE does not have this problem.
>>
>>61892379
>GNU/Linux
Stopped reading right there
>>
wanted to make the switch to linux but my mouse (corsair glaive) doesn't want to work. tried both linux mint and ubuntu and have the same issues. the system detects it if i run lsusb but i can't use it for anything (cursor won't move, clicks do nothing). any suggestions?
>>
>>61892417
Well, it was the end of the comment.
>>
>>61892417
wront thread? the satire thread is other here: >>61873669
>>
>>61892417
Thanks for reading!
>>
>>61892444
Get a mouse that doens't want you to be enslaved to the botnet.
>>
I ran dmesg and here are the steps costing a ton of time. https://pastebin.com/9GgDt2wq it appears the system believes it's waking from hibernation? How do I prevent that?
>>
>>61892304
Wanna help me with those right keywords? I'm not having much luck.
>>61892393
Not a big fan of KDE, I'm going to try to make it work in XFCE first
>>
>>61892461
Hurr Stallmzan marxist durr gnu bad.
>Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>61892518
Nvm it's an HD failure it seems. I'm looking into fixing it using smartctl right now.
>>
>>61892487

cool but what can i do with my current mouse?
>>
File: 1502214022358.png (30KB, 336x365px) Image search: [Google]
1502214022358.png
30KB, 336x365px
>>61892554
>>
>>61892524
filechooser, sorry.
>>
>>61892554
set it free
>>
>>61892554
shove it up your butt, take pictures, send copies to every corsair emplyee household.
>>
>>61892596
this
>>
>>61890143
GNU GuixSD GNU/GNU Linux-libre
>>
>>61892444
have you checked your package manager for mouse drivers?
>>
>>61892275
good luck
>>
holy fuck help me out here, /fglt/. I'm trying to install gentoo, and everything seemed okay, until i left the liveCD and tried to boot into the system, only to find a nice kernel error. "Attempting to kill init!" it says at the bottom, and i cant seem to figure what it says at the top. I've compiled the kernel, added initramfs, i've installed grub and ran mkconfig, I've done it all.

I'm at my wits end, nothing seems to work, and I've been at it all day.
>>
File: 1502651320485.jpg (450KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
1502651320485.jpg
450KB, 1000x900px
>try to install Mint Linux from disc
>countdown says automatic boot will start in X seconds
>timer reaches 0
>monitor turns black and says "No signal"
Please help
>>
>>61893058
mint is shit
use antergos, it's just as user friendly as any of the bunt derivatives but with easier access to a larger amount of software
>>
>>61893058
add "nomodeset" to the kernel parameters or use the "safe graphics mode" if it has it
>>
>>61892863
My only *real* issue so far is that all the docs expect you to download everything via the target computer being networked, while I downloaded the tarball separately and do not intend to connect the target computer to a network. Also apparently my partitions are fucked up but I haven't gotten far enough to see if thats actually an issue or if thats just the kernel printing warnings.
>>
http://freeworldlicence.org/
>>
>>61893206
Nah.
>>61893256
I've tried nomodeset and compatibility mode, still end up getting no signal to the monitor.
>>
spent the last few months installing a heap of different tools and programs and now going through and deleting them is tedious af
50 or so >10mb programs + their dependencies isn't going to break anything but it still irritates me.
>>
File: Alpine_Linux.svg.png (7KB, 250x61px) Image search: [Google]
Alpine_Linux.svg.png
7KB, 250x61px
Does anyone here use anythiing other than GNU for their coreutils? is trying to using say busybox to run your normal desktop a fun thing to try or more hassle than it's worth?
>>
File: a.gif (298KB, 220x229px) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
298KB, 220x229px
>psychotic tranny sperged out at gnu and caused irreparable damage to libreboot development
>now we'll probably never get libreboot for anything higher than the t/x400
If your system has any proprietary blobs you might as well just use Chrome and sell your fucking soul to Microsoft while you're at it. Why do trannies have a monopoly on open source BIOS? WHY AREN'T US RIGHTWINGERS AND RADICAL CENTRISTS SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE THIS SHIT OURSELVES AAAGGHHHH
>>
Please suggest me a new distro. I've been using debian, and mint for a while. Fedora way before that. I don't know I just want to try out something new that has a lot of support like ubuntu, but doesn't have systemd. Target is thinkpad w500.
>>
>>61894287
void
>>
>>61894309
Thanks reading up on it right now.
>>
>>61892444
Looks like the newdev branch of ckb-next has support for the Corsair Glaive.

https://github.com/mattanger/ckb-next/issues/225
https://github.com/mattanger/ckb-next/compare/newdev
>>
why linux's des don't have basic features reeee
>>
>>61894309
I'll probably just run gentoo again. Thanks for the rec.
>>
>>61894287
Devuan if you want something exactly like debian but wuthout systemd, Artix (fusion of the arch with openrc from sysyemdfree and Manjaro's openrc spinoff) or archbang if you want something different but still nice. Void is okay too.

You could also install slackware or gentoo if you feel adventurous enough.
>>
The lynx browser doesn't load any images right? I mean I know it can't display them, but it doesn't actually load the resource or even so much as make any request whatsoever to the image URL's?

I want to use some discussion boards at work, but just disabling images in a browser I don't think is good enough because there might still be requests being made that could show up in some log file somewhere as coming from my machine and link to pornographic images or something.
>>
>>61883611
delete system23
>>
Alright I'm not sure what to do here. I've made 4 partitions with parted, now I'm trying to apply filesystems to them; the first partition (MiB 1-3) worked fine, but it did tell me about that sector having a different filesystem already. The second partition gave me an attempt to write resulted in short write error. I've already tried googling, however I didn't find anything similar to my issue. Is there any commands or anything I can use to diagnose what's causing this short write?
>>
Is there any particular reason why the bash script I'm writing is refusing to add .gitignore? No errors or anything, but git status shows .gitignore isn't being tracked...
>>
>>61873132
Hi guys, I have a simple question

I just installed Debian in UEFI (GPT) mode, and partitioned my whole HDD using the guided partitioning. I chose to do an encrypted LVM setup, and within this LVM I have a separate /home, /root, /tmp, and /var.

The guided partitioning suggested a ~500MB EFI (/boot/efi formatted in vfat) partition and a ~250MB regular /boot partition (formatted in ext2), aside the LVM. I just accepted it figuring that it might know what it was doing by itself

My question is:

Why is my system apparently only using the smaller /boot partition to store boot things, instead of using the larger EFI partition? What is the EFI partition even for, then? I thought it was the regular /boot which was no longer required in UEFI mode, with EFI replacing it?

Have I got everything backwards? Is it fixable without reinstalling or is it best I reinstall sooner rather than later to fix it?
>>
i don't know much about EFI, but i'm pretty sure you'd need at least your bootloader and/or kernel (with efistub) in the fat32 EFI partition to boot on an EFI system
my guess is that you're running in (legacy) bios mode, and that the installer made an EFI partition simply to make it easier to transition to EFI later

there's never a need to actually reinstall completely just to change/fix boot stuff
>>
>>61894759
>>61894692
>>
>>61894773
>>61894759
The confusing thing though is that I explicitly made sure to disable Legacy booting in the BIOS, allowing only UEFI, before installation

And I formatted the USB installer to use GPT instead of MBR

I don't know why the installation would even offer to make an EFI partition bigger than the /boot partition while in UEFI-install mode and then not even use it, I'm perplexed
>>
>>61894799
yea, it looks odd to me, but i don't own any EFI hardware, so i've never had to set it up myself
>>
>>61882203
ncmpcpp only has raw filesysytem access to delete files when connecting over local unix socket rather than TCP.
>>
>>61887027
>followed word for word
>got kernel panic
liar
>>
I finally installed Xubuntu on my ThinkPad that came in the mail. SSD should be coming soon.
I've been used to Windows my whole life so I'm not too sure where to start.
How can I get used to Linux and how can I actually take advantage of it?
>>
File: 1501335889980.jpg (66KB, 696x400px) Image search: [Google]
1501335889980.jpg
66KB, 696x400px
Hey guys, I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu/GNOME on an Alienware 13 r3 (kaby lake). I found this guide: https://github.com/andrewwakeling/alienware-13-r3-ubuntu-16.04
and I guess he uses bumblebee to switch between integrated gpu and Nvidia gpu.

So basically I was just wondering if I should go for 16.04 or 17.04? And also should I get another pcie hard drive to dual boot it with Windows or just add a partition to the current drive?
thanks for any help
>>
Installing gentoo for the first time in years, so I'm very rusty. Tips from seasoned /g/entoomen before the install are appreciated.
>>
>>61888959

>I'd like to disable rar support in calibre
Do you even know what USE flags are and how they work? Do you think that it can magically disable a feature? No, it can't. The software has to have the option to disable certain compile time option and only then can you do it.

Are you the guy who thought that by using Gentoo and its USE flag feature he could make Firefox use Qt?
>>
>>61895449
Cinnamon desktop made for a smooth transition from windows for me in the past. I don't know what your pc habits are, but just find alternatives to what you use ie; web browser, media players, and check if wine will run other programs that you might miss.
>>
>>61896064
Nah, but I haven't checked the codebase if there is an option in ./configure or whatever it uses. Maybe I'll just create a patch for it if it cannot be solved without doing that.
> Use flags aren't omnipotent, they just reflect the option software has when compiling
Yes but they don't have ALL the option a certain software might have. I know that rar is a module in calibre, so disabling it must be easy.
>>
How do I compile the Bitcoin core on arch? I downloaded it as a tar.gz then extracted it. What do I do now?
>>
>>61896576
aur
>>
>>61896640
Is it safe to download a bitcoin wallet from aur?
>>
>>61896661
nigger it's a download script
check the urls
>>
->
-> >>61896807
->
>>
Should I switch from a DE to a WM?
If so what WM?
How do I get comfy fast?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.