[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: emacs.png (13KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
13KB, 128x128px
Emacs thread, we talk about it so much but I never see threads dedicated to it.
Do you use a prebuilt setup like spacemacs or roll your own?
What are you favorite config tips and plugins?
What are some things you wished you knew about emacs sooner?
>>
>>61871791
There's no discussion because no one uses it
I only use it for org-mode notes, very very comfy but past that i m not goig to memorize thousand.
>>
>>61871896
I use it for programming projects, it's a lot more extensible than Vim for being an IDE replacement. I still use vim for quick edits though, especially over SSH.
Org-mode is super comfy, you're right there.
>>
I use it for almost everything besides browsing.
>>
>>61872689
how well does it work for email? I've been using thunderbird but it's overkill.
>>
>>61872892
Can't say I've used it for email yet since I use protonmail and it's not possible.
>>
>>61871791
I have pretty basic configuration because I don't have time to sink in the editor for 2 weeks to set it up. I just tweak a thing every so often and learn a command or two. I want to start using Evil mode in near future.

I liked centered view in sublimity-mode, but its scrolling changes were messing up with my mouse scrolling for some reason so I disabled that. I don't even know what exactly was that scrolling part supposed to change.

Also, Org mode is comfy.
>>
>>61871791
spacemacs is really confy. Now I am learning elisp
>>
>>61871791
>What are some things you wished you knew about emacs sooner?
dabbrev
>>61872126
>I still use vim for quick edits though, especially over SSH.
TRAMP exists, you don't have to edit with whatever editor you have on the remote machine.
https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Usage
>>
>>61871791
Of course, on the system I administrate, vi is symlinked to ed. Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!
>>
>>61871791
spacemacs here, it's pretty good. I've edited it a little, but I kinda wanna try a stock emacs and build my own config, if for nothing else to know where to go with spacemacs next.
>>
>>61873257
Oh, and I use it for a lot of stuff, including irc, org, reading email, it's a pretty solid piece of work.
>>
>>61873189
>and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!
Ed, man! !man ed
>>
>>61873179
I know about tramp but unless there's something I'm missing, you can't trivially open a file through it with the terminal you're already using ssh in.
>>
>>61873728
I don't know how you would be supposed to do that.
>>
>>61873189
Keep it up, who ever heard of a vi-tor or an emacs-itor? I just want an ed-itor.
>>
>>61873179
I find abbrev is better than dabbrev. dabberv is great for completing long function names if you don't have another completion framework set up, but once you start defining abbrevs, your WPM shoots up.
>>
>>61873751
I use dabbrev in modes where there's no good autocompletion. (Nobody seems to care about people who like how complete-at-point works.) I don't want a crappy autocompletion framework that pops up completions on top of what I'm working on.

Another great use for dabbrev is IRC. It saves me a lot of typing there.
>>
Been making the switch to it the past couple of weeks. I'm finding this series <http://cestlaz.github.io/stories/emacs/> to be really good.

I've just been using it as much as I can, but sometimes I rage when I can't do something and switch back to vim for a minute. That's happening less frequently now though.
>>
Just started using spacemacs last night
Its weird but i think i love it...not quite sure yet
Ive used vim+tmux for about a year now daily so this is a weird switch
>>
I just found out you can 'M+x gdb' and then 'M+x gdb-many-windows'. That way you can visually put break points on code, see the current variable values and a backtrack to wherever you are in code. Really worthy for learning how a piece of software works, and works with any language that is compiled with gcc, and not just C/C++.
>>
>>61875322
wow, I've been using emacs for years and I never knew you could do that.
>>
Vim convert here
Tried spacemacs and various slime bundles but they were too bloated.
Ended up making a lean .emacs with just what I want. Starts up in 1sec. Any way to make it faster?

>tfw you turn off fringes for the first time and it looks 99% like vim
>>
>>61875837
config or it didn't happen
>>
>>61875884
https://pastebin.com/pnMCFSpM
>>
>>61875837
The idea is to never close emacs.
>>
>>61875837
Its so hard for me to get used to not rapidly openind and closing multiple tmux.or vim windows
>>
>>61871791
Emacs is an artificial social construct, Vi is a part of POSIX. But the thread is gud, mucn better than the endless and senseless gaymers Intel Ryzen threads and other consumerist shit with Apple.
>>
What's up with font rendering on Windows? It's way worse than fonts in any other program.
>>
>>61877355
I didn't have this problem on W7. I can't test it now since I got rid of it. What version of Windows are you on?
>>
>>61871791
I use eww and wanderlust for quick browsing and e-mail. Also org-mode for notes and to structure latex-documents.
>>
>>61871896
>nobody uses emacs
>except I use emacs
>>
>>61878425
If you're on Linux, you can compile emacs with --with-xwidgets to get a full webkit-based browser in a buffer
>>
(package-initialize)
(load-theme 'solarized t)
(tool-bar-mode 0)
(desktop-save-mode 1)
(linum-mode 1)
(global-visual-line-mode 1)
(toggle-frame-fullscreen)
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
'("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/"))

(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

(require 'ido)
(ido-mode t)
(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
'(custom-enabled-themes (quote (solarized-dark)))
'(custom-safe-themes
(quote
("8aebf25556399b58091e533e455dd50a6a9cba958cc4ebb0aab175863c25b9a4" default)))
'(racket-racket-program "C:\\Program Files\\Racket\\Racket.exe")
'(tool-bar-mode nil))
(custom-set-faces
;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
'(default ((t (:family "Courier New" :foundry "outline" :slant normal :weight normal :height 113 :width normal)))))

(require 'powerline)
(powerline-default-theme)

This is what I have so far. I mostly stuck with emacs because of the desktop-save-mode and went from there. Session saving on vim was too fiddly for my tastes.
>>
>>61878501
Thanks, didn't knew that
>>
>>61878525
Is there a better way to handle sessions than just having multiple desktop saves? I have one for each project I work on, but I could see it getting out of control as I add more projects.
>>
>>61877342
POSIX is an artificial social construct. Have you read the spec? Half the shit in there is nonsensical.
>>
Emacs is the most god level hacker program there is.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.