[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can programming books be skimmed as a beginner? As in read more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 71RwRPoFK%2BL.jpg (170KB, 1232x1615px) Image search: [Google]
71RwRPoFK%2BL.jpg
170KB, 1232x1615px
Can programming books be skimmed as a beginner?

As in read more books faster > read fewer books slower?
>>
Depends
Probably not
Maybe
You'll most likely want to test out the stuff in the book as you read through it, to help you grasp the different programing concepts
>>
>>61865871
Unless you're already well acquainted with some basics of how computers do things, no.
Also, your pic related is not very good for beginners. C Programming: A Modern Approach by K. N. King is a lot better. For some reason, ig wiki doesn't have a link to it: ebook-dl com/book/247
>>
>>61865871
Sure. If you want to go head first into the language, you could definitely skim C++ Primer just to get a feel for what it's about. Then muck about in an IDE with build+run.

But at the end of the day, you'd still have to read up on how the language works. Books are the fastest, but you could also use StackOverflow/etc.

>K&R
There's no reason to skim a book that's only 190 pages though.
>>
>>61866511
>>61867134
I've been reading K&R carefully for about a month now, I'm nearly through with it and will probably read C Programming: A Modern Approach afterwards.
>>
I've also noticed that as a beginner, I often look for affirmative feedback before I can feel secure in a decision. I don't even feel competent enough to decide "how" I should learn, since I have such a loose grasp of the subject.
>>
best place to start learning: https://painlessprogramming.blogspot.hr/
>>
File: collectorsedition:thinking:.gif (22KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
collectorsedition:thinking:.gif
22KB, 128x128px
>>61867172
>month
>190 pages
>>
>>61868870
Cuck, I did exercises.
>>
How legitimate is it to skim the theory and just jump into the exercises while use the theory as a reference if you get stuck? Asking this for both cs and math books.
>>
File: into le trash.png (11KB, 427x474px) Image search: [Google]
into le trash.png
11KB, 427x474px
>>61867359
>This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalise ads and to analyse traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.
Boooooooooo
>>
>>61867172
My advice would be to start doing as well as reading.
>>
>>61868878
>exercises
>1 month
perhaps programming is not for you?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.