[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conditions and Effects of NEMP (Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

>Jannies and mods please don't ban or delete thread, I think the effects of NEMPs on technology is a very relevant topic right now.
Since the Norks may actually end up attempting to nuke US territories in the coming months, I thought this would be an appropriate thread. I'm not very nervous about the nukes themselves, if I die i die fast, and if I dont I dont. I'm quite nervous of the effects of an NEMP on technology. Im not quite sure how they work, I would appreciate some answers to the following questions
>What is the minimum/maximum height for NEMPs to occur?
>Is the magnitude of the explosion correlative to the magnitude of the NEMP?
>Is the height of the explosion correlative to the magnitude of the NEMP?
>what would the radius of an NEMP from, lets say, a 50kt nuke?
>How would an NEMP affect areas of modern society?
>is it possible that any person shield precious electronics from NEMP, and if possible, how?
>>
Bump, dont let this thread die on me /g/, i need answers
>>
>>61857329
>>What is the minimum/maximum height for NEMPs to occur?
Physics just happens. Here's a more salient point: you want to be dozens of miles up for the biggest area of effect, which would be about half of a continent.
>>Is the magnitude of the explosion correlative to the magnitude of the NEMP?
Yes.
>>Is the height of the explosion correlative to the magnitude of the NEMP?
Yes.
>>what would the radius of an NEMP from, lets say, a 50kt nuke?
Depends on altitude. The rough idea I gave above comes from more modern ICBM/MIRV warheads in the 1-10Mt range. 50kt is theater-of-operations size.
>>How would an NEMP affect areas of modern society?
Fucking catastrophically.
>>is it possible that any person shield precious electronics from NEMP, and if possible, how?
A Faraday cage. Plenty of electronics and electronics storage solutions are hardened against this.
>>
if you don't have a pacemaker, you don't have much to worry about besides some long power outages from infrastructure damage

movies have really overblown what it does to simple electronics
>>
File: 1473591566966.jpg (15KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1473591566966.jpg
15KB, 460x276px
As a rule of thumb, the yield of a nuclear weapon in kilotons is equal to the radius of effect of the EMP it creates, which is maximized when the altitude in km equals the yield in kilotons.

North Korea's warheads are less than 30 kilotons. They couldn't EMP an entire city.
>>
>>61857888
>Depends on altitude. The rough idea I gave above comes from more modern ICBM/MIRV warheads in the 1-10Mt range. 50kt is theater-of-operations size.
So the Norks’ biggest warhead wouldnt have such a widespread effect as I thought it would? Thats a bit relieving, although I’m still worried, as I do live near Los Angeles, which is a potential target
>>
>>61858507
Haha fuck no they wouldn't. Not unless they shelf their own stuff and pull out some hitherto unknown Soviet warheads. And delivery vehicles. And launch systems. And guidance controls.
>>
>>61857329
Beniz
>>
>>61857888
>Is the magnitude of the explosion correlative to the magnitude of the NEMP?
>Yes

E1 and E2 components no. E3 yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse#Weapon_yield

E1's the most dangerous for electronics btw. E3's just geomagnetic storm-like.

in particular, E1 doesn't scale much with yield, so a 10 kiloton blast will yield an E1 pulse 40% as powerful as a 1.44 megaton blast.
>>
>>61857968
can you live 3 months without electricity? how will the trucks that deliver food to your grocery store pump gas? how will the water treatment plants clean sewage and pump back clean water to drink? how will you get the replacement parts to the power plants? how do you pump water to cool the fuel rods at the nuke power plants?
>>
>>61860656
Minor inconveniences m8. Humans are a tough bunch, we'll live through it. Might even clean up the gene-pool a bit by cutting all the dead weight. Seriously I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.