[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powerline Ethernet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: tl-pa9020p-kit-powerline.jpg (19KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tl-pa9020p-kit-powerline.jpg
19KB, 800x450px
are these things good? is the connection stable on the electrical lines? fairly new house here
>>
Use a fucking cabble.
>>
It was actually surprisingly good, before the adapters literally stopped syncing to each other one day, for no reason.
So you can extrapolate from this story: high performance, low reliability.
>>
I've used them. Yeah, they're pretty good. What caught me out getting a cheapo TP-LINK kit was that mine went into this sort of "power saving mode" when network activity dropped to zero. Except it had a hair trigger and would do that in the middle of streaming/gaming/etc. It would then take a while to "wake back up" and would sometimes even glitch out, requiring a physical power cycle. Had to scour the internet for a beta "SetStandbyMode" utility that could be used to turn off that behavior.

I can't know if your adapters will have that same problem. If they do, I'm not sure if a utility like the one I found exists or where you can find it. The only other trick for that issue is setting up a background service that just pings your router 24/7. That way network activity never drops.
>>
>>61851943
>fairly new house here
You shouldn't have a problem unless the wiring is complete garbage. My house was built in the early 70s and I have no issues with it.

I'm using a TP Link AV1200 and the speed loss is barely noticeable.
>>
The newer AV2 ones aren't bad. I've got a set of 1200 powering adapters that work fairly well

The headline number is always just a meme, they'll never transfer even half that rate, but they are still fast enough to max out my 38Meg internet connection. I get to connect in my attic room at the same speed as if I was plugged in to the router, and there's barely any effect on ping. WiFi just didn't cut it up there

Yes of course a wired ethernet connection is always going to be better but if you don't want to cut holes in your house to accommodate new cabling, powerline has become a decent option
>>
I use a pair to get from the modem to my room. Can't cut holes and run cable because rented apartment. I forget I use them most of the time. I use TP-Link nanos, have for two or three years, haven't had any problems with them.
>>
>>61851987
>>61852001
>>61852002
>>61852031
>>61852076
thanks /g/ents
>>
If your house is wired for coaxial, bonded MoCA 2.0 can achieve 850+mbps
>>
>>61852125
Can confirm. If you've already got coax wiring in your walls MoCA is usually better than power line adapters.
>>
I am currently using them. I have no complains, it's quite fast and stable. Two things you should be avare of:
-they must be plugged to the same power line (e.g. I tried connecting one just after the router, which is upstairs and I had no signal at all because my floors have separate power lines)
-You should plug nothing on the same wall socket, otherwise performance will be noticeably worse
>>
>>61851943
>is the connection stable on the electrical lines?

Depends mainly on the layout.

Are the two sockets connected directly with just a short line in between?

Or does the line go down 3 floors, across the house, through the switchbox to a different power group, across the house again and up 4 floor?

Even a simple extension cord can fuck with the signal.
>>
>>61851943
I use them (not OP's exact set) and they work fine. My set is rated at 1.2 Gbps but my router only has 100 Mbit ports and it easily saturates it, all signs point to it being fine closer to 1 Gbps too
>>
>>61851943
Yes they are the greatest things ever and they've been around for a while. Wifi is literally shit and kills sperm anyway.
>>
>>61853025
>kills sperm
This reminds me of growing up in the 90s when Yellow #5 in Mountain Dew was said to kill sperm.

Good. That's fucking fantastic news. It's free birth control. Why would this be a bad thing at all?
>>
I have been using power line for years, works great.
>>
>>61851943
I used it in my college apartment because the router was in the living room. It was much more reliable than wifi and I didn't want to run a 100ft Ethernet cable across the floor. I shared my apartment with roommates so it was the least painful solution.

I got 66Mb/s (about 66% of speed compared to a direct line in). Not bad.

It depends on your use case.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.