[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you actually write nontrivial code? It seems this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

File: what.png (498KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
498KB, 351x351px
How many of you actually write nontrivial code?
It seems this board has mostly become gaymers and day 1 helloworldfags. Even the Linux people here use it mostly for ricing and scripting.
>>
>>61850830
Ive made a method not only for fizzbuzz but also for checking prime numbers . What have u done kiddo?
>>
>>61850830
so fuck off from /g/ back to /pol/
>>
>>61850893
/g/ is my home board friendo, I just want to learn how many of is here actually belong.

Anyway, how is your python scripting going? Did you learn anything new?
>>
>>61850830
I feel the same. Every time I post a thread about something little advanced than webdev, the thread dies.
Personally, I think all the ricing fags should die.
>>
>>61850830
I am currently in the process of writing a rendering engine.
>>
>>61850830
Depends on what you consider trivial.
I find that simple solutions often work a lot better, but I am creating solutions for problems where there are no solutions, so I guess it is not trivial.
>>
>>61850830
About 3 of us.
>>
I work as a developer. Maintenance on a sales/order/inventory software.
>>
I've been using Java and c#/c++ for years. Nothing more than an autist with a hobby though.
>>
Seems to be the trend of society at large. People have stopped calling themselves "gamers" and "geeks" and have transitioned to "coders".
>>
Your board was deleted because you aren't welcome, /prog/
>>
>>61853275
Its becoming more accessible to people who didn't get into tech ridiculously young, with things like highschool classes teaching the basics of linux or unfortunately, teaching them Python.
>>
>>61853331
What's wrong with that? And why is it "unfortunate" that anybody is taught python?
>>
>>61850830
I've been a software engineer for 2+ years. Once you actually start doing something everyday for money, you suddenly don't want to spend your free time talking about it. Coding specific threads will be primarily filled with people who think its still fun.
>>
>>61853368
Python is useless. Even java (which is the AP standard for ap cs classes) is better than Python. Its only purpose is to teach pseudocode.

Also I never said anything was wrong with it becoming more accessible.
>>
>>61853394
Same I enjoy the flaming wars on hardware because I spend most of day dealing with gis development and support of poorly made c#/c++/puthon code
>>
>>61853404
Only if you are retarded.
Odoo formely openrp is python.
I deal daily with python scripts to maintain gis databases
>>
>>61850830
i'm working for [fortune 50 tech conglomerate] where i'm helping to rewrite their backend into a more modern architecture. AMA
>>
>>61853404
>PhD students from all the science disciplines model systems in python
>it's not REAL code though
Explain yourself
>>
File: 1497312856960.jpg (33KB, 534x566px) Image search: [Google]
1497312856960.jpg
33KB, 534x566px
>>61850830
I prototype vidya. Except for every game boss man says we're behind schedule and we will need to release the prototype as an official product.
"Anon doesn't worry too much about code readability / hacks because it's just a prototype."
>>
>>61850830
It feels so bad that I'll never be able to bury my face in her ass and stick my tongue inside her rectum
>>
File: puzzlegame_.gif (100KB, 336x264px) Image search: [Google]
puzzlegame_.gif
100KB, 336x264px
>>61850830
What counts as 'non-trivial'?
>>
>>61850830
I'm a hobbist who has been writing an open source version of a game development tool (HBT) for the last two and a half years.
>>
>>61853404
It's a fantastic scripting language and really nice to use for anything like making API requests or web scraping. It also has really nice libraries for interacting with databases, for instance. I agree that it might not be the best choice for a full application - even though the tools are there if you wish to use it for one - but it's hardly useless. When you don't need performance and don't need to think low level, Python is an excellent choice.
>>
File: Screenshot - 110817 - 19:31:10.png (142KB, 919x648px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 110817 - 19:31:10.png
142KB, 919x648px
I have more than 10 years of pictures saved from 4chan, and sometimes I see a picture I like but I'm not sure if I already have it, so I made an image search program that searches through a database to find out whether I've already got a picture. This way I can avoid saving the same picture twice.
>>
>>61853404
ML is done in Python anon....
>>
>>61853792
At least it's not cancerous as php
>>
>>61853754
By what method? If I changed a pixel in an image would you still find it?
>>
>>61850893
LEAVE NATALIA ALONE
>>
>>61850960
>Anyway, how is your python scripting going? Did you learn anything new?

Not him, but I have. Python allows me to write code which controls machines and automates tasks, which is the very definition of programming.

Stay mad.
>>
File: Screenshot - 110817 - 20:26:35.png (89KB, 627x556px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 110817 - 20:26:35.png
89KB, 627x556px
>>61853893
It has a database of all the images in my pictures folder, which is basically one big binary file with 12x12 scaled down versions of the images.
The search program loads in a 12x12 scaled down version of the input image, and compares each pixel of the input image with each pixel of every one of the images in the database, and returns the name of the image from the database with the least difference.
It's a pretty simple method, but in my experience it's very accurate as long as an image hasn't been flipped. It's also quite fast, a search takes about .176 of a second on my 10 year old core2duo
>>
I'm writing eclipse plugins for 11 bucks an hour as a student employee. kinda fun.
>>
>>61850960
My pythons going decent.

I just finished transferring my python crypo library into c.

Got functions for modular inverses, prime number sieves, gcd, detecting english, generating RSA keys, primality tests, and mersenne prime generators
>>
I've written more than a few nontrivial things but proving it would require me to link my bit bucket / Github and I'm not comfortable sharing that with you /g/.
>>
>>61854576
Very nice anon, bravo.
What about the database file, do you generate it each time you add a new picture?
>>
>>61850830
I'm doing front end work, as well as other cofounder duties for a startup company
>>
>>61854814
Thanks. Yeah, I have to rebuild the database file whenever I add new images, but it only takes about 30 seconds. I could probably make it a lot more efficient, but since I only update the database once in a while (maybe once a week) I haven't felt the need.
>>
>>61854799
Why host on more than 1 git repo?
>>
>>61850830
In my master thesis project I had to work a lot with R in order to clean the shit cluster fuck of data that my professor had given me. I had to write a loop for everything because I was dealing with around 1 mill observations and +200 variables.
>>
>>61855034
Yeah I will definitely get around to optimising that part of the program eventually.
>>
>>61850830
I run an ISP if that counts. Albeit a wireless one.
>>
>>61850830
i dunno what category I fit into, I work as a sysadmin, I use linux at home, and i program for fun, but I also play games with friends on my linux workstation.
>>
>>61850830
I helped make a library to simplify API calls for a medical survey platform that's used by institutions all over the world for my internship.
>>
I have to write nontrivial code or my ass would get fired
>>
>>61853404
please, shut up. you little highschool kiddos sound so incredibly stupid.
>>
>>61853754

What theme is that?
>>
>>61855660
the shitty gnome default theme uninspired copycat 'flat' garbage 'adwaita'
>>
>>61853326
autism
Go back to your consumerism discussions.
>>
i've wrote a lot of shoddy code over the years to ghetto fix problems. mostly database and network infrastructure related, used to work for sony cyber security but left after a feud with higher ups. now i work for yahoo woo me
>>
>>61853326
/prog/ is a great board tho
>>
>>61855271
>I had to write a loop for everything
Sounds like some heavy shit anon, I hope you get better!
>>
>>61855271
>looping in R
It's almost comically inefficient
>>
File: 1495507067651.jpg (35KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1495507067651.jpg
35KB, 657x527px
>>61856138
That is the best that I could do to be honest. The dataset is divided on 15 groups and I had to analyze each group individually.They have been collecting their shit data for over five years and they don't even have a data analyst in their department so I was their slave doing everything for free and even with that they are not impressed even after I produced some very comprehensive graphs and shit. Fucking ungrateful faggots, I will commit a murder if I get anything less than a full mark for that shit. Worst part of it all is that they don't know jack shit about statistics, not even the basics.
>>
>>61856235
I am open for all suggestions senpai, R seemed the way to go because it is and I am familiar with it. I never bothered with Python, is it worth learning?
>>
>>61850830
I do kode in html and css. Wanna join my startup?
>>
>>61856305
Python is pretty handy for data analysis and such, it's my go to if there isn't already a package in R to do what I want it to do, but if computing efficiency doesn't matter just stick with R
>>
I write SQL code for a living. I love working with data.
>>
>>61856355
Thanks, that is good to know. and yes, efficiency is not a problem right now. I never had to deal with Big Dataâ„¢ meme yet. When I get there I will probably be using some of the packages that utilize the GPU processing power.
>>
>>61851555
>writing a thread with the opener "what is the best ____ and why is it ______?
>mad when thread dies
some people (read: You) just don't know how to write good threads.

Even my shit threads get at least 30+ replies before they die.
>>
>>61850830
Define 'trivial'.

I have written device drivers. I have written rendering engines. Currently at work I am necro-ing 25+ year old MFC/ATL code and adding features to it.

Simple stuff, but made MUCH more difficult due to loads of lost know-how, past bugs, workarounds and general technical debt.
>>
>>61856305
Python is good, very easy to learn. numpy, matplotlib, and pandas are nice libraries to use.

Julia is also worth looking into senpai
>>
>>61856461
Never heard of Julia before, but if Python is easy to learn then I will look into it. Just for the sake of adding it to my CV because being a Data Scientistâ„¢ is all the rage nowadays.
>>
>>61856417
Do the 25 replies written by you count?
>>
>>61856371
>SQL code
Is sequel a programming language now?
>>
>>61856516
Julia if you were worried about runtime, since Julia is much faster than python/R/mathematica/etc

>>61856522
I admit, I may post on my phone once to get the ball rolling, but once it does I will get plenty of unique (You)'s
>>
>>61856954
According to recruiters it is.
>>
>>61853469
How much do you get paid?
>>
File: IMG_6525.jpg (225KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6525.jpg
225KB, 3000x3000px
>>61850893
How the flying fuck does this have anything to do with /pol/? Have you even been to the board within the past year? Do you even know the premise of it? It seems like faggots here just like to say, "Fuck off back to /pol/" whenever someone says something they don't like. I never knew complete fucking idiots could actually process the shit that goes down on /g/.
>>
>>61854992
Have you considered rewriting your program in Rust?
>>
>>61853404
>Its only purpose is to teach pseudocode.
Which is why it's a good learning tool, you mong.

The "real world" argument for Java is beyond pathetic. It's essentially admitting that the language itself has no merit, so the goalposts are moved to being able to get a job, even though most Java programming work is about as skilled and dignified as flipping burgers.
>>
>>61851555
>Personally, I think all the ricing fags should die.
upboat, this korean claymation bbs really needs a Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements board where all these little blinkenlight fetishists from computers to cars to countertops can get together and share arduino sketches and stroke each other off.

>>61853492
>boss man says we're behind schedule and we will need to release the prototype as
Ah, someone who understands REAL WORLD programming, as opposed to autists banging bricks together.

>>61855938
>used to work for sony cyber security but left after a feud with higher ups
Oh, you're North Korea. I would sex you so good.
>>
>>61857612
If you've ever done real world programming at a company or otherwise it's still just autists banging bricks together. The only difference is youre paid to put up with it and you're paid to follow a schedule.
>>
>>61854197
do you have any idea how dumb and evil she is? I don't think so
>>
>>61856954
Yes, a DSL is a programming language.
>>
>>61851563
How do you do this?
>>
>>61854576
mind sharing your code? I'm pretty interested tbqh
>>
>>61850830

Keep in mind that the longer you do something as a job, the less you enjoy it outside of the workplace.

This board was only ever extreme hobbyists and learners.
>>
>>61853394
I never thought of it that way but that makes so much sense.
>>
The last thing I wrote was a program that searches a directory/list of directories for any duplicate files and offers the option to delete either of them. Figured I'd clear up some harddrive space and couldn't find any good scriptable Windows tools for it that weren't slow as hell. It'd probably be trivial in most languages but I wrote it all in C (mostly just for fun, but also to keep resource usage low and for compatibility purposes, I wanted it to run on everything from Win95) including my own MD5 implementation

Before that I wrote a program that lets you delete files/directories without regard for NTFS file permissions or attributes because I was getting tired of being told I wasn't allowed to delete certain files. It also works under 9x but doesn't have any special effect outside of the file shredding option (2 passes with random bytes followed by another pass of 0 bytes before deleting) and deleting read only files.

It depends on what your definition of nontrivial is really, I haven't written any 100kLOC projects or anything but it's a bit beyond hello world stuff.
>>
>>61850830
did you mean to write non-toy instead of trivial ? as in actual software development ? because project euler solutions for example are toy programs but they certainly aren't trivial.
>>
I don't even know how to program.
>>
>>61850830
wrote a recreation/emulation of the old Prodigy Classic service with a java server component and a .net client

took a break after that, just launched VS today for the first time in a year or so to put together a gui windows equivalent to pciutils
>>
test
>>
>>61860153
does that qualify as non trivial or am i laym for even mentioning vs?
>>
>>61850830
i don't usually write over 100 lines, just automation or tools or fun. most i've written is ~5k for a physics engine experiment. mostly all in c#.
>>
I wrote a fizzbuzz variant called beepboop.
>>
>>61854772
>detecting english
What for, and how?
>>
>>61853469
Are you doing it API-like? What language/technology?
>>
>>61853469
are you in california, and approximately what do you save every month?

i hear about 150k salaries and 3.5k rent which implies to me that the net income is still larger than the national average, but then i hear about engineers barely breaking even with one or two roommates. doesn't line up to me
>>
>>61850830
I guess things like various parts of a hobby OS and a GUI from scratch all written in asm, C, and a bit of C++ is non-trivial code, but that was long ago. Now it's mostly webdev and Python.
>>
>>61850830
I started a project for home automation using java. Haven't gotten back to it.
Finished a python application for logging my nest data when I wanted to figure out how well a swamp cooler would work.
Other than that I write scripts for work in powershell and bash.
>>
>>61860855
Not the poster but places like Seattle and Denver are far better. Your income goes a lot further.
>>
I work as a PHP/HTML/JS developer, mainly on e-commerces and websites, changing a few things here and there on the source code or programming front-end pages. I also do Uni programming work and some side projects with Java and C.
I get what >>61853394 said, however I've been working with programming professionally for a year and I still like it. Not a big fan of PHP though, I'd trade it for Java in a heartbeat.
>>
>>61860855
it doesn't line up because you have to factor in stuff like health insurance, commuting cost, and residence location. You could have a top of the line health plan, 5 minute walk to work, with a relative modest take home pay. Or you could have a 2 hr commute in your used sedan with a bare bones health plan you need to pay extras on with a large take home pay.
>>
>>61860894
i work in defense in the south and come out pretty well despite getting paid half of what i would in cali.
>>
>>61860915
Makes sense, there are multiple places where the ratio of income to expenses beats California.
>>
>>61850830
#I'm Karlie Kloss look at my super girl power coding skills rawr XD so random yay ^-^
print("Hello World!")
>>
>>61853469
Why did so many tech companies seem like they're moving away from developing their own unix systems?
>>
>>61858069
The Russianons on /int/ told me that she was particularly stupid,but they never told me that she was an evil bitch. Explain?
>>
>>61850830
I do very easy coding, but I'm in a neuroscience department and nobody else knows how to code much so all of it is given to me.

This is also the only time I've posted on /g/.
>>
>>61850830
I'm a Linuxfag who writes nontrivial code but I'm actually a /sci/lon and only come into /g/ when I need an ego boost (you guys are fucking brainlets).
>>
>>61861196
No trigger me anon pls...
>>
>>61862798
>you guys are fucking brainlets
As someone who needs to find people stupider than him outside /sci/, you'll fit right in among the /g/ brainlets.
>>
>>61862862
/sci/ is smart people trying to act retarded, /g/ is retards trying to act smart.
>>
>>61862917
I'm sure all those high schoolers wanting math problems solved, /x/ crossposters, IQ posters and /pol/tards trying to legitimize their mental disorders are so much smarter than /g/'s consumers and /pol/tard libertards.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.