[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help with OC. I got a 1050ti last week. Was a bit disappointed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: mqdefault.jpg (15KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
15KB, 320x180px
Need help with OC. I got a 1050ti last week. Was a bit disappointed it can't handle 60fps in Witcher 3 so decided to overclock since I got non OC version. What are good benchmarks for testing stable clocks? Furmark was stable with +180 on core but Witcher didn't want to load until I turned it down to +120. Different story with memory. Every review of 1050ti I read had memory to +500mhz max while I did +750 and both Furmark and Witcher seem stable. Should I go even further?
>>
use valley,
start at stock mem clock.
turn core up until it artifacts and turn back down a bit.
pause on a single scene with spcbar and start turning mem clock up until it artifacts or frame rate drops. turn it back down until you have the highest stable frames. turn it down a hair past.
fallout 4 and witcher 3 seem to give my oc's the most trouble so they are good tests after a bench stable oc.
>>
>>61846811
forgot to add a more aggressive fan profile with cooler temps might net you a few mhz and let the bench run for a whie after you find stable clocks and watch for missing poly and artifacts
>>
>>61846811
>>61846826
Thanks! I think my core is at my limit already wth +120 but I tried to up memory for max +1000mhz and it still works fine which surprises me even more. I'll try valley bench now, hope it'll be stable since I really like how Witcher is stable 60fps now everywhere but Novigrad.
>add a more aggressive fan profile
Not sure if I need this. OC only added like +3°C in Furmark.
>>
A stock 1050ti delivers results similar to a 970m which in turn delivers similar results as a GTX 960.

It's not a powerful card, sounds like you should have went gtx 1060. World of difference.

1050tis are borderline cards for 1080p right now, they have enough vram but processing power wise they are "just good enough".
>>
>>61846964
>should have went gtx 1060
3gb 1060 was like 50% more expensive than 1050ti. Plus I made super budget build with g4560 so didn't really want to spend more on it.
>>
>>61846992
Nah you seem fine. >>61846560
Have you raised the power limit? You can also set a "temperature limit" and the card should auto overclock to until the GPU reaches that temperature.
>>
>>61846992
Well yeah, it's like a lot faster....

Nvidia made a clear line in the Sand, between the basic bitches and the real graphics card.

That said, find your max mem OC and core OC and keep it cool.
>>
>>61847015
Yeah, I set it to 110%. I think I got the maximum out of the card since I overclocked memory to the maximum of +1ghz and looks like it affects performance the most.
>>
>>61847064
nah go back to 600mhz on the memory. You should be able to go upto 115% on the power limit. But I'd want to keep the temperature under 70C make sure your GPU lasts.
>>
>>61847109
>go back to 600mhz on the memory
Why? Right now I get 67C in Furmark with default fan curve. Isn't it good? Or it's dangerous to oc memory that high?
>>
>>61847171
You're more likely to develop artefacting down the road.

67C is alguds, you want to ideally stay under 90C. For long term use under 80C is better.

I eventually jumped off the OC meme bandwagon after sometime and let the GPU do that itself by setting the power limit to 110% and touching nothing else. IT was a good balance between performance and noise.
>>
>>61846560
High there fellow 1050Ti owner here. Is that MSI unit in the picture the one you bought?

Big rant here so bear with me, it's pretty important if you value your money in this ridiculous GPU market we have right now.

The memory on all 1050Tis is clocked at 7Ghz (3500 in your OC tool) while most (not all!) of the cards use 8Ghz (4000) rated memory chips. Therefore, it is generally safe to OC the memory +500 from 3500 to 4000.
Going over the rated VRAM speed is dangerous because most 1050Tis do not have highly capable stock cooling solutions, even the best models.
VRAM is very heat sensitive, going over rated speeds produces more heat than the speed increase percent-for-percent.
OCing memory tends to "kill" a card much much faster than core and voltage, because these heat stresses on the VRAM chips will, and I mean will, break their solder joints usually within 24 months.
Broken solder connection = unusable memory chip = broken card.

Don't listen to people telling you to go for the maximum possible stable overclock on memory - While these Pascal GPUs can handle pretty much whatever highest core speed with the voltage that doesnt crash the system (~1943Mhz for mine at 1.1v cap), you need to be very careful both with the memory and as well you have no idea how hard the cheap 3+1 phase VRMs are being stressed.

Unless you're willing to spend more money on customizing the cooling solution by getting heatsinks and decent thermal pads for the memory, plus looking at VRM cooling (or replacing shitty stock VRM sinks), And/Or dropping the $40-60 for a high end cooler replacement,
I advise you not to "max OC" your card unless you like throwing money down the drain.
You'll only get 7-12% higher FPS on a 1050Ti with most of that coming from boosting the memory to 8Ghz.

Personally my card at default runs at ~1730Mhz, and the best core OC it can do only adds MAYBE 1-2 FPS compared to stock 50-60FPS
>>
>>61847564
Well, thanks a lot, bro. I guess I'll go down to +500 then. It's already a nice boost so I guess going for the maximum isn't really worth it.
>Is that MSI unit in the picture the one you bought?
Yeah, regular Gaming one without X.
>>
File: file.png (280KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
280KB, 600x480px
>>61847710
So this is your card? The thermal soluion on this card isn't the greatest (it's using extruded aluminium and no heat pipes)
>>
>>61847871
No, this one.
>>
>>61847920
oh then it's fine nevermind then.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.