[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMD component identification

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170810-214450.jpg (655KB, 1081x1111px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810-214450.jpg
655KB, 1081x1111px
I'm not expecting sympathy for this but when I was wiping the thermal paste off my laptop GPU (Which is an "N13P-GLR-A1" nVidia GT 635M) I managed to break off one of, what I assume to be, one of those miniscule SMD capacitors. I wasn't using excessive force but you know what factory thermal compound is like... Fucking cement.

Anyways I bridged the missing component with solder, thankfully the pads were intact but the system doesn't boot. I was hoping you guys could help find me whatever component it was that I managed to chip off in the vague hope that I can source a new one and replace it.

Image is the exact GPU I did this too and I broke off the bottom left cap, roughly in the middle of the chip.
>>
I took a look at the data sheet, and that SMD is not needed for a proper functionality. Go ahead anon.
>>
>>61838442
>I bridged the missing component with solder
why THE FUCK would you do that? these may be just decoupling caps and you just shorted the main power rail or worse, it may have been a cap separating a DC offset from some signal going elsewhere to the mainboard.
Anyway, most of these caps will be either 100nF or 10nF as it is the case with most digital stuff.
You may have fucked it up for ever but replace the cap and pray it works.
>>
>>61838579
Yes I was worried but I was sort of just upset and didn't think that soldering it would do any harm. Though looking back I wish I tried it without because if it doesn't work I'll never know
>>
>>61838483
But I bridged the pads with solder and the system doesn't boot. I wish I at least tried without doing that first
>>
anon, caps often sit between a voltage supply line and ground. you should never short a cap, it would be much better to leave it open if you're not going to replace it entirely.

get some desoldering wick, clean the solder up and recite some incantations to the smoke gods.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.