[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the worst programming/software related incident you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

File: 1300575737001.png (152KB, 600x729px) Image search: [Google]
1300575737001.png
152KB, 600x729px
What is the worst programming/software related incident you've ever experienced?
>>
>>61835549
Accessing this website.
>>
>>61835549
Using Windows.
>>
>>61835549
one day I tried a simple print function, and my cpu exploded

to this day I dont know if theyre related but I still blame it on the mac
>>
File: ACSbmd7.png (231KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ACSbmd7.png
231KB, 600x900px
>>61835549
Micropoo force updated my computer from Windows 7 to 10 overnight. There were ads and childrens games built into the OS and the UI was an inconsistent mess. I now use a Sparky Linux and OpenBSD which are literally made by hobbyists in their basements and they work better than the "professional" software from a giant company that has been at this for decades. It's the most sad and pathetic thing I could think of.
>>
>>61835549
>>61835569
>>61835570
>>61835571
>>61835641
Now to make it more interesting: Did anyone here directly experience a severe loss of life/capital or casualties through shit software?
>>
Can't get into details, but something deleted locally by one of the devs was synced to everybody else and yes, got propagated to the clients and fucked their shit up.
>>
>>61835665
Yeah, the forced Winshit 10 update deleted a bunch of work files that I had in a directory that I created in the root of C. Updates never fucked with that in the past since Windows XP but apparently Pajeet decided that had to change.
>>
>>61835665
I upgraded Linux once and it caused my computer to catch fire and burn down my house, which then caused the forest behind my house to catch fire, and burned down about 200 other houses near my neighborhood
>>
>>61835665
F35 project
>>
>>61835821
>>61835827
Now I'm almost sure those are made up, at least you weren't involved in them...
>>
With software:
>Government uses a good software with bad implementation. It is like running my laptop with 6Mbps internet for the rest of Colombian government

With hardware:
>A fucking enterprise that killed an UPS battery bu letting it on a place with a shit ton of static.
>The ELECTRICAL ENGINEER left the battery there.

>>61835569
>>61835570
Ok, calm down anons
>>
File: 1502312625411.jpg (99KB, 622x622px) Image search: [Google]
1502312625411.jpg
99KB, 622x622px
wiped the whole HDD when I wanted to try Linux.
>>
>>61835549
Trying to use GIMP for the first time
>>
>>61835549
used new plus delete on c++ after a copy and paste issue
somehow it resulted into a fucking giant copy paste->create and delete
the drive(4tb) eventually couldnt handle the create commands efficiently and by the time we manage to understand what was going on the drive just gave up
>>
The company I work for had the DNS servers for its primary domain changed and pointed to another provider. The downtime was around 12 hours and all incoming emails during that time period were lost. It cost the company an estimated $25,000 CAD. I was the person who made the DNS change, expecting it to change in a few hours and none of the emails to get lost. I will never make a mistake like that again.
>>
>>61835549
Nothing too bad has happened to me personally, so I'll just drop this instead.

Therac-25
>>
>>61836781
Jesus Christ
>>
I broke multiple instances of an application across multiple regions while trying to access data from a database, it didnt even work

Apparently the application's user account had alter table rights to the database. I was supposed to be using something already developed, written into an ant task. Problem was i didnt have access to the hibernate persistence units for every version of this database (some of the source code was lost) so i just went yolo and used the same one for each.

Created non nullable columns in like 30 databases that essentially broke everything for like a week until somebody noticed

The kicker is the ant task didnt even work because i was pulling blobs out of the db, some of which basically caused a memory leak. In the end i just wrote a simple shell script that did the same thing, with tolerance for blobs i couldnt extract.

Was pretty embarassing desu, but apparently nobody cared. Apart from the guy who had to fix it on the weekend. Im now on a team with this guy and i dont think he trusts me. Im supposed to be working with him closely now. I doubt it's going to go well.
>>
I was trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 and I overwrote the mbr table... yep no more Windows 7
>>
>>61836781
>>61836862
A race condition bug has never killed anybo-
>6 people killed via 10,000 rads over a dime sized cross section of their face, torso, and hip.
>Nobody does anything about it for years because the machine is clearly infallible.
>Fixes rolled out multiple times which don't fix the problem.
>People continue to die until a hardware radiation detector, which quickly shields the patient from clearly deadly dosage, is installed.

>The manufacturer is never held accountable, and still exists. The programmer remains anonymous to this day.
>>
>>61837894
He didn't just write a program, he wrote death sentences.
>>
File: tumblr_ljpe0yF4TB1qghlb2.jpg (28KB, 300x425px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ljpe0yF4TB1qghlb2.jpg
28KB, 300x425px
>>61839288
kek
>>
Mid-redesign of a major site, some fucking skiddie found a session-based vulnerability in the production environment that was overlooked by a pajeet qa and we had to patch as we lost face in terms of original time estimates. Not horrible, but fucking Pajeets and Obama.
>>
>>61835549
>What is the worst programming/software related incident you've ever experienced?
I went from web development to embedded development, because /g/ tricked me into believing it was the shit.

I learned the hard way that electrical and computer engineers can't fucking program for shit.

My boss, the head of software development, was a computer engineer who had made the original code base on his own the first couple of years before hiring additional developers. Not only did he insist on using his self-made editor he had programmed sometime when he was still in college, he didn't really "trust" version control systems, so he would copy stuff out of the local source tree, do modifications, and then copy stuff back in before commiting. More than once he forgot to copy all files, working like this.

The really bad thing was that he couldn't program for shit. The company made networking probes that you would plug into your network at random locations, and they would gather data and analyse it before sending it to a server for further analysis. Each probe were configurable with a simple HTML GUI, which he obviously generated HTML by appending strings in C++.

He also didn't "trust" C++ standard library, so lists, strings, vectors, etc, were horrible subpar implementations he had made himself.

1 / 2
>>
I once broke launches of all new internal instances in about half AWS regions for ~30 minutes by mangling a DNS record.

It was fun.
>>
>>61835549
the amount of money the us govt pays microsoft for garbage software
>>
>Be sysadmin at shitty isp.
>Have box I can't easily security update because its distro is out of support and don't have the time to manually check every installed package.
> Customer support relays complaint about sites on the server being slow
> Top shows 25% cpu use, but load average is at 150.
> Smell a rat and scan for rootkits
> Jackpot.
> Compile new versions of ps and netstat for my own investigations
> Find a hundred "sshf" instances and irc connections.
> Go to the irc channel to try and infiltrate the cuntbubble.
> Kill sshf, delete it and search for modified files
> Cuntbubble sets network to permissive. Gets complaints from other people at the datacentre that the server's impersonating their sites.
>Get shut down by colocation provider.

...I'll call it a draw.
>>
>>61839480
The networking probes' configuration interface was also public facing, but security was a giant joke. Basically, password checking could be circumvented all together if you just type URLs manually into the address bar.

Another engineer there were even worse. He wanted to store two integers in one variable, and didn't want to use a struct as the range of those two integers were 0-100 for both of them. You'd think that he would use bitshifting or at least arithmetic to do this right, seeing how the range was so limited. But no.... He used a fucking floating point!!!!

In order to store the number, he would use scanf and store two numbers into a character buffer, and then use some string to float parsing function and store the two numbers above and below the decimal point. In order to get the number back, he would convert the float back to a string, and then split the string in two substrings on the decimal point character.

2 / 2
>>
>>61839403
>I can't program and I got pwned but blame qa
Kek
>>
>>61836436
TEMPORARY
>>
>>61839605
I wiped it permanently secretary.
>>
trying to use a piece of software that doesn't agree with Fedora, seriously fuck that OS
>>
File: IMG-20170809-WA0000.jpg (117KB, 584x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170809-WA0000.jpg
117KB, 584x1040px
>>61835549
>Be me
>Open database editor to connect to the backup database of to company
>It is the backup of the main db
>the soul of the company is there
>I run some queries
>Updates, Inserts, Deletes, Selects
>Commit
>MFW I realise I'm actually connected to the main database and not the backup

I died that day
>>
>>61835549
I once accidentally formatted the hard drive of a server running hundreds of websites.

I meant to format a different server, but I copy-pasted the wrong credentials.
>>
Main db was fucked and there were no backups. I was able to get it to stay up for like 2 seconds. I had to start mysql dump some records and then repeat the process. Often times it took 10 tries to just dump one thing.
>>
Made the production db unbootable and unstartable by copying stale config files to the wrong /etc directory.
>>
>>61835570
underrated
>>
>>61835549
MS Word giving me a first time BSOD on a system that had been running fine for years. Gave me regular BSODs after that.
>>
Mangled the password field in a proxy servers config file, which defaulted to no password and an open internet proxy.

My ISPs engineer called me when we hit 70 TB transfer in one month.
>>
>>61837519
but this is a good thing, as much as I dislike Ubuntu you really should be thanking it
>>
accidentally deleted about 1b worth of mortgages, they were gone for a few seconds and didn't really remove the the debt itself, but the securities created with them went *poof*.

took me 3 months to go over the docs and reinstate them... been two years now, no one noticed.

the mortgage system is a mess, its all on the back of some 1970s software that's a marvel of engineering, sadly they are slowly rolling out replacements for it and its the most unreliable piece of shit in existence, but has a pretty UI.
>>
>>61839861
Strike Debt only wished they could be so effective.
>>
>>61839663
does 'pedidos' mean 'order' like google translate says it does?
>>
>>61839861
do the world a favor and delete all records of all mortgages.

I mean really just go full tyler durden/elliot alderson on that database and just financially ruin the business and delete all records of any debt owed to them
>>
>>61839810
>No sir, we havent been streaming copyrighted material, why do you ask?
whoops
>>
Pushed some changes before leaving on my holiday. Changes ended up causing a massive memory leak on the production server (nothing happened on the test env, though) so the application had to be restarted every 10 minutes. The only other programmer in the office couldn't do a simple
git revert xxxxxx
and ended up fucking up the whole repo somehow so I had to get to work just before getting on my flight to fix the whole mess.
>>
File: ShineMyBootsNigger.jpg (427KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
ShineMyBootsNigger.jpg
427KB, 1536x2048px
>>61835549
>need to print a page from my laptop
>send to printer
>nothing happens
>restart laptop
>when laptop comes to, printer starts printing the page I've sent.
Every damn time I need to print a few pages, I need to do this process for each individual page.
>>
>>61835665
almost lost years of emails and contacts on a company's exchange server from windows being a piece of shit and breaking the iis backend
found some other shit software to recover the database file though
>>
>>61835549
Xcode.
>>
>>61839909
not him, but yes, "pedidos" means "orders"
>>
>>61839576
I should've clarified; we won a client from an old agency. The old site wasn't ours, but we were maintaining it but it was horribly built. I wouldn't be surprised if the ethical hack could've been traced back to the original agency. Good QA is criminally underrated.
>>
>>61840321
>but/but
but/and
>>
>>61836781
As a former technical writer who used to work in the medical robotics industry, especially dealing with positioning robots for the particle therapy rooms, we we were all required to know this case backwards and forwards.
>>
>>61835549
Visual Studio crashed and despite multiple save-all commands beforehand, half my .cpp files were blank and opened in notepad.
This has happened twice already. How hard is it to write a save-all command that acrually works
>>
>>61835792
Why not change your documents folder to an external hard drive or partitioned hard drive and store your documents there?
That's what I did when I lost my pictures on a clean windows install. I can reinstall windows again and still have my stuff.
>>
>>61839720
It means "Orders", retard.
>>
>>61840521
Too autistic to recognize a pun?
>>
>>61837894
Honestly it's not the programmer's fault really, but lack of testing, stupid failure response, and most of all no hardware failsafe.
>>
>>61839559
lmao
I unironically would like to work in embedded someday. It seems fun.
>>
>>61839522
The amount of money any government institution, school, university pays to get IT projects developed, it's fucking insane man. Tens of millions over 5 years for some shitty CRUD app that a bunch of students could whip up in a few months.
>>
>>61840756
This. At least for the government they also have new software developed for the sake of it even though the current system is perfectly capable.
>>
>>61840756
>he thinks that money is for the purpose of developing projects
>not enriching the well-connected
>>
Downloaded a cracked antivirus on tpb oploaded couple hours ago and it had a lot of seeders, didn't do my usual virustotal hashcheck, double click tje setup, it's filled of virus and adwares, fucking BONZIBUDDY arrives, I mean FUCKING BONZIBUDDY.
>>
>>61841527
Did you get the source code for bb?
>>
>>61835549
I don't have incidents
Those are just happy accidents
>>
>>61835549
Code Avengers
>>
>>61840049
Just restart the printer queue...
>>
>>61841745
what? no. Why? Is it sometimes shipped with the virus?
>>
>>61839943
its likely impossible because there'll be physical backups stored in a seperate location
>>
>>61840392
>That's what I did when I lost my pictures on a clean windows install. I can reinstall windows again and still have my stuff.
Most people need one horrible experience to force them to backup their data, this Anon probably hadn't had one yet.
>>
>>61840735
It's anything but fun and the pay is shit.
>>
>>61839529
Sounds almost like corporate espionage
Or the ISP managed to piss of the wrong NEET
>>
>dad bought Elder Scrolls Online
>selects just C:\ as install location
>installer deletes entire hdd
>no notification it would delete anything
>no confirmation
>>
employee bulk updates all product stock statuses to 0 two weeks before Christmas.

Luckily, someone had been exporting all the product data daily. The dude had to spend a whole day updating the stock based on the orders since the update.
>>
When you find a javascript that will remove 2000 lines of your hard earned code.
>>
>>61836781
Interesting read.
>>
>>61840386
Every time VS crashes for me it offers to restore files, but the dates on the version it wants to restore is always like 6 days older than whatever I saved last anyway. I don't fucking get it
>>
>>61839861
>and its the most unreliable piece of shit in existence, but has a pretty UI.
modern replacements for old software in a nutschell
>>
>>61836611
Mail servers will keep retrying to deliver for 48 hours to a week if they can't reach the destination servers, exactly for cases like this.
>>
>be sysadmin
>raid 5 in database server for mission critical app goes tits up
>stick in a new drive and the array rebuilds
>3 days later issues start popping up in application
>turns out database is corrupted and there's no way to fix it
>have to restore backups from before the crash
>everyone loses 3 days of work
>>
>using vmware console on the most critical server in the company
>server is responsible for $6M/hr in business
>server cannot be run in HA
>hit ctrl-alt-delete to lock my workstation
>VMware console still in focus
>Ctrl-alt-del gets passed to server
>server reboots

We disabled ctrl-alt-del on all VMs after that.
>>
>>61841527
i want that torrent , i want bonzi in my life
>>
>>61835792
>not having a backup
>somehow this is pajeets fault
>>
>>61840343
Oh hey, fellow tech writer! Telco here, any tips on getting into medicals? I'm looking to migrate to Switzerland (from the EU)
>>
I edited production db with the wrong approval role in oracle BPM once. A random fucktard manager approved some 70k in spendings without thinking twice in under two hours on a tuesday afternoon.

I got fired for that one mistake. Faggots.
>>
>>61849212
>6M/hr on one server
At that point failover redundancy might become an idea.
>>
>>61849516
There is failover, but not HA. Also failover is manual and requires at least an hour to bring it up. This is an unbelievably old platform and it's very obscure. the whole company runs on it. It's sort of like as/400 that runs on Linux and eveyone connects via ssh to use a terminal interface.
>>
>>61847307
You are assuming their backups work. When was the last time they checked that they work, though? :)
>>
>>61835549
I work in academia as a researcher in applied CS. I found potentially result invalidating bugs in the code bases of my colleagues. We patched it out, but we never investigated or redid any of the experiments in the 4 papers published based on that code.

Maybe it was nothing, maybe they published bad science. We will never know and my colleagues like it that way.
>>
>>61849212
Win+L also locks, mate.
>>
>>61835570
this

>have a Windows installation for their rare case I need it
>for work I had to quickly do some Windows shit so I booted into it
>pressed for time
>downloaded some updates when I last used it and spends 15 minutes installing them
>updates finally finish but complains about some error and reboots
>tries to install updates again just to give me the same error
>spend hours fixing the boot loop and don't make the meeting.
>>
>run tech start-up
>I have no idea what I'm doing
>we get a interesting research project with the EU and a respected software development company
>they all think we're legit
>they want data from us in a specific format
>I insist on doing it myself since it seemed fun and doable
>end up making a 15k line excel sheet
>the coordinates are in the wrong format
>the cell size I told them about is also wrong
Fast forward a few weeks and we meet with them again about this project.
>their GIS part of the demo is totally broken, cells all of the place, values overlapping etc
>they apologize and say that they're still new to GIS
>tell them it's OK but at least interpolate the values

Last time I try to do something myself. But it was kinda fun still
>>
>>61835549
>Direct3D code fucks up
>tries to generate a HUGE vertex buffer
>this somehow actually erases a big chunk of the code
>>
Woke up one day to my Surface Pro 3 in the middle of the Win10 Anniversary update. It was bricked 4 hours later.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.