[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone use Linux in just pure command line as a daily driver?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (245KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
245KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone use Linux in just pure command line as a daily driver?
>>
>>61823466
no anon. Only servers, some virtual machines maybe. Doesn't make any sense to not have a gui if you are doing regular stuff. Maybe a work terminal? but then again that wouldn't be a proper "daily driver".
>>
don't think it is possible if i also use sites with js daily.
unless i'm wrong about terminal web browsers
>>
>just linux.
I'm sure you'd need at least some form of init sytem to go with the kernel.
>>
>>61823737
This.
Linux is not an OS.

Btw if you use your PC for work you have to use a GUI, if you need it for gaming/school/watching also.

Terminals are good to make some tasks faster and easier, I personally love Arch's terminal and I often use it to do daily things, but using only it? Never
>>
>>61823466
What a question.
There people who use very minimalist desktop environments. But not pure cli they still use some sort of X session.
>>
File: 1454911795802.jpg (30KB, 400x558px) Image search: [Google]
1454911795802.jpg
30KB, 400x558px
>>61823466
NetRunner will make this possible
>can be framebuffer web browser
>can be framebuffer document viewer
>got cover other stuff like video on the framebuffer with mpv
>>
>>61823737
Technically you can set init=/bin/bash and start any daemons you need manually. It would be shit though.
>>
>>61823466
sometimes i do that when i just want to shitpost on irc.
>>
>>61823466
I have i3wm on a machine, which is NEARLY pure commandline.

Except I fire up my browser and shitpost most of the time.
>>
>>61823737
>>61823841
nice autism
>>
>>61823466
I only use Firefox and Thunderbird. Everything else is command line
>>
Sort of? I do all my work through ssh and can't use sshfs, so half the time I don't even bother to start x.
>>
Ive gone days and weeks without launching X, as most of my work is all do-able in curses programs.

tmux is nice.

that 'work' includes work-work, but I mean, seriously a huge number of things dont need X to run.
>>
I did when I was writing my thesis, it was the only way I could find to keep myself focused and not getting distracted by the internet
>>
File: serveimage.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
143KB, 600x600px
>>61825219
>I have i3wm on a machine, which is NEARLY pure commandline.

you are a dumbass anon
>>
>>61825658
It's basically just a bunch of terminals. It's as close as most people reasonably get unless they are remoting to a server or something.
>>
>>61823466
raspberry pi3 server
>>
>>61823737
Are you retarded?
SysVinit
y
s
V
i
n
i
t
>>
>>61823466
>Ok now anon, I want this program done by this deadline
>the specifications are in the pdf I forwarded as an attachment
>W..what? What do you mean you can't view it?
>>
>>61823466
most of my 'work' is done in a terminal.

gui is really just for shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>61826360
You are still a fucking dumbass. You could run any gui program in i3, and you could use something like kde or gnome with only terminals. Pure command line means no de/wm at all.
>>
>>61826360
>remoting
Faggot detected.
>>
Is curses CLI or graphical?
>>
>>61827661
CLI
>>
>>61823466
I'd say DOS is the last CLI that would have been used as a daily driver.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (449KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
449KB, 1600x1200px
>>61823466
> detected 8192K stolen memory
what does that mean?
>>
>>61823841
>Arch's terminal
Cringe
>>
>>61823466
>stolen memory
give it back jamal
>>
>>61827827
intel processors are for niggers
>>
>>61827741
DOS can't do half the tricks that Linux can do these days.
>>
>>61823466
I don't automatically start X so if I just want to listen to music, use ftp, write something up quick and similar tasks I use tmux.
>>
>>61825219
>I have i3wm on a machine, which is NEARLY pure commandline.
The average i3 user, everyone.
>>
>>61828425
At this point I'm certain that i3 users are 95% of the reason tiling window managers aren't taken seriously.
>>
>>61823466
>>61823737
>>61823841
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61823466
Some people come pretty close.

Obligatory:
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/
http://inconsolation.wordpress.com/
>>
>>61829952
>https://kmandla.wordpress.com/
>motho ke motho ka botho
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>61823510
What you need GUI for?
F1 - EMACS
F2 - IRC
F3 - W3M (or just use EMACS browser eww)

GUI's are hipster overrated shit.
Everyone should go back to real computing - non distracting CLI
>>
>>61823466
Sure, headless servers are the norm
>>
>>61830706
Using Emacs for everything lately (not browsing, though). With the right packages it's a very nice user experience. It's like using a search engine for everything in your system.
>>
>>61823466
How would I watch Chinese cartoons?
>>
File: 1501178020118.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1501178020118.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Been spending a lot of time in command line lately. Even been updating my site with text files, which has really made me think about how best to format things. I'm happy though because I always hated in-line hyperlinks - they always seem to detract from the preceding text.
>>
File: 1501275520918.jpg (197KB, 1080x1196px) Image search: [Google]
1501275520918.jpg
197KB, 1080x1196px
>>61823466
It do for my netbook, don't even have X installed to save space. I use it solely for programming and writing. Sometimes I browse the internet with lynx but I won't pretend it's usable.
>>
>>61823466
I guess, when I SSH into a server or something. But even then, I'm using GNU+Linux. My main work is done with the GNU software and not with the kernel itself.
>>
>>61823466
I use Slackware with only tmux and cli programs. I don't need X because only program that would need it is browser and i just use w3m. If i want youtube i just go there with w3m, peek 'current URL', yank it into tmux buffer, paste it in another pane/window as an arg to mpv(mpv has -vo that uses framebuffer). The pdf, djvu and such i read in fbpdf(litcave). For image files i use 'fim'. For programming and text editing Vim, Ctags, Awk, Sed and other utils.

The system takes about 30-40MB ram idle with a few daemons running. i don't use fancy software, just cli programs because i can use all of them to write some shell scripts or use them in one-liners.

I have some old i3wm config but hadn't use it for a long time.
>>
>>61831761
Stop posting him.
You've been warned.
>>
>>61831116
mplayer -vo caca <mah_cartoons.avi>
>>
>>61831761
>I use it for multiple things but I wont pretend it's usable

Really crunches my doritos.
>>
>>61823466
no, nor do you, maybe for the next week or two but you're gonna go back crying
>>
>>61831898
Reading comprehension faglord, he meant that Lynx isn't usable
Even though just because he uses it for writing and coding that doesn't mean it's easy to use it for that
>>
>>61831952
>he meant that Lynx isn't usable

False. Let's look at the evidence.
>he uses it
Therefore it's usable.

What he means is that it's not preferable, but that's a flaw in the web not in the software Lynx.

And writing at the command line is easy as pie, you just need to stop being so silly.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.