[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

been using *nix for over 10 years now... only today have I decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
been using *nix for over 10 years now... only today have I decided to give a shell other than bash a go reeeeee
>>
let us know how it goes
I've been thinking about writing my own shell, but it always comes back to bash
>>
>>61823182
>on-my-zsh
you're welcome
>>61823195
bullshit liar.
>>
>>61823182
is there any distro that wont break if you remove bash? its retarded that i would need to keep bash installed if i dont use it.
>>
>>61823430
Debian and Alpine. The latter's default installation doesn't even include bash.
>>
why?
>>
>>61823316
any good plugins to suggest m8?
>>
>>61823182
meh. if it works...
>>
>>61823430
chsh
>>
File: 1499962000466.jpg (9KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
1499962000466.jpg
9KB, 364x366px
>>61823182
>using shells that are not standard across unix/linux

You're just asking for configuration management hell if you ever wanted to port your scripts to systems that aren't allowed to have alternate shells.

Besides, you're better off learning Python because shell scripting is fucking crude and archaic. People just don't ever want to learn Python because they're old or lazy.
>>
File: you.jpg (55KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
55KB, 645x968px
>>61823706
>criticizes zsh and fish for being non-standard
>recommends another non-standard alternative
>>
>>61823706
>People just don't ever want to learn Python because they're old or lazy.
are you sure it isn't because python is ugly and lame
>>
>>61823758
Have you been living under a rock? Python is included every non-shit enterprise distribution. zsh and fish are shells for startup hipsters and faggots.

>>61823761
Or because it's more useful? Bash scripting is abused in most cases because you spend more time trying to build hacks to automate something that would take a quarter of the time to build in python. If you wouldn't type it as a single string, why are you wasting your time building scripts for it?
>>
>>61823706
>configuration management
You're one a board where "people" spend hours to rice a desktop with their favorite anime girl.

No one here is taking the time to make sure something works outside of their own computer.
>>
>>61823182
I just started using Terminator because it had better compton transparency support than the typical xterm/xorg setup. Haven't really noticed any advantages or disadvantages though.
>>
>>61823814
I keep forgetting this board is full of man children who don't actually have a tech job. If they do they're a dime a dozen web-dev.
>>
>>61823814
>"people"
kek
>>
>>61823182
A friend uses fish and shows me his pretty she'll but bash is just comfy and I can get almost all of that thanks to bash completion.
>>
>>61823804
>Python is included every non-shit enterprise distribution
Neither Ubuntu Server nor Amazon Linux ship with Python. Jog on, Rakesh.
>>
>>61823914
>phone posting
>with autocorrect
>>
>>61823706
op here, i know python.
>>
>>61823970
>Ubuntu Server
>Enterprise

>Amazon Linux
You apparently don't read release notes. Why are you even touching Linux?
>Python 2.7 is now used for the core system packages, including yum and cloud-init.

https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/2015.03-release-notes/
>>
is zsh a meme?
>>
File: 1499027514257.jpg (30KB, 604x476px) Image search: [Google]
1499027514257.jpg
30KB, 604x476px
>>61824198
Yes.
>>
#!/bin/bash
echo "Just because you can cd now doesn't mean you need a more hipster shell"
>>
>>61825695
>Just because you can cd now
keke, really true this. all the macshits love zsh
>>
>>61823430
Meh. Most people are familiar with POSIX style shells. May as well pick the high test version of that and stick to it. Would you rather all the system scripts be written in some hipster shit that nobody can read? Or just dumb them down for an inferior POSIX-ish shell that nobody will use except for scripting?
>>
>>61823182
Bash is absolute shit yet as a linux community we tolerate it. We need a shell that is better than bash desparately. I think more than ever we need a shell that is

A: not a clusterfuck of syntax
B: makes scripts that run fast
C: Has macros
>>
>>61828080
If bash was run through googles v8 itd be quicknasty.
>>
>>61823182
fish
>>
>>61823316
my friend, writing a simple shell is not hard. and if all you do is basic operation like directory stuff and some pipes, you can live with a homemade shell.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.