[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can we do about the web bloat menace?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 1

File: web-page-size.png (48KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
web-page-size.png
48KB, 2048x1024px
What can we do about the web bloat menace?
>>
Install ublock origin and umatrix
>>
>>61816999
That wouldn't do anything...
>>
Meme web 1.0 design back
>>
>>61817011
If will reduce the amount of bloat you load when visiting a website.
>>
We should move on from the web.
>>
>>61817042
But it wont reduce the amount of bloat the page is intending to send.
>>
>>61817011
Frankly does a lot. Unless the Pajeet who put his hands into making and maintaining a site purposefully screws with such "fixes" on purpose and makes the site unusable without bajillion JS script.
Most of them go from "unusable" to "just shitty design".
>>
>>61817097
Even worse are the ones that don't load at all without JS, but when they do load it's just HTML.
>>
>>61816724
>open a single website on my phone
>-10 MB from my monthly bandwidth
>>
>>61817081
Who gives a shit if it can't send it? Fuck those sites and I hope they waste money trying to send me more garbage
>>
>>61817373
>2017
>data cap
What are you, poor?
>>
>>61817369
>but when they do load it's just HTML.
what the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>61817021
>Meme web 1.0 design back
this would be so nice, i can barely stand to use a browser on pc anymore. most websites want to just over load you with information and ads, the article you want to read loads up with links to 50 other articles around it, plus an auto-play video that is someone talking about what is in the article or an ad of some sort, and i get so distracted i forget about the article i actually went there to read.
>>
>>61817828
>auto-play video that is someone talking about what is in the article
Instant ctrl+w
Not worth the time to look for pause/mute button.
>>
>>61817813
Needing JS? Not just fucking pure text, I'll tell you that much for free.
>>
Replace JS with something that doesn't require 500 frameworks to be usable.
>>
>>61817828
And the articles are often short, badly written (have you noticed that paragraphs are almost treated like tweets now?) and very uninformative, with pictures ever few sentences.

Letting computers do more that 80 columns of text was a mistake.
>>
buy a better computer that doesn't have problems loading a 2mb web page?
>>
>>61817867
The problem is xml is a shit format and every single person who has ever been involved with web development has tried to fix it by piling on it instead of fixing it.
>>
>>61818154
>the webpages grow bigger and load slowly
>just buy a better computer
people like you are what's wrong with today's technology
>>
>>61817927
Add to this the fact that the article title very often is misleading. Most often it have nothing to do with the main artical, it only there to cause controversy so you will click the link.

The state the internet is right now is very sad.
>>
>>61817021
I wouldn't mind this. Drudgereport is my home page and It feels very refreshing when it loads and doesn't stutter the browser.
>>
>>61818352
>poor people still use computers built over a decade ago
>developers need to make sure all modern webpages and software run smoothly on their ancient hardware
>>
>>61816724
Get rid of local news websites.

Just checked my local CBS station's and ublock said that it blocked 55 items.
>>
>>61818623
Which hardware manufacturer do you own, or are a major shareholder of? Because if the answer is "none" why would you encourage forcing people to buy new hardware?

>>61818188
XML seems really odd to me. I mean, documents are linier, so why id the formatting nested? I would have thought something more like Troff or PostScript would have been better.

>>61818593
I think the biggest problem right now is that people on all sides want to turn it into a new broadcast medium, even people who should know better.
>>
>>61819008
xml is one dimensional, but graphics are usually 2 or 3 dimensional.
I know it wasn't intended to be a graphical thing, but it is how it is used now.
But I hear that there finally is a solution for it with the new CSS features, but it doesn't negate that so many idiots have wasted their time instead of fixing the issue a long time ago
>>
>What can we do about the web bloat menace?

Stop hiring web "developers" who just copy paste shit that looks flashy.
>>
Why stop it? Windows only exists for legacy support so Microsoft is running out of excuses to make it extremely more bloated with successive releases. This means that Jewtel and AMD will lack an incentive to keep developing faster hardware, because gaymers are a tiny percentage of home computer owners. Web dev retards are keeping the pressure on in MS's place.

Idiots will always exist. We may as well exploit them.
>>
Making allowances for things like CSS or JS has proven to be far worse than using tables ever was.
>>
>>61819467
Unless you're a hardware manufacturer you're getting nothing from that exploitation.
>>
>>61819487
We're getting faster machines that can keep up with the growing pile of Javascript frameworks in every web page.
>>
>>61816724
stop using javascript for things that do not really need it.
>>
>>61819504
>we're getting faster machines that can be slowed down by bloat

If there was no bloat your machine would be ever faster.
>>
>>61816999
Isn't uBlock Origin a slimmed-down version of uMatrix?
>>
>>61819008
>people on all sides want to turn it into a new broadcast medium
I thought it already happend.
>>
>>61816724
Just keep increasing the size of computers.
>>
>>61819899
It kind of did, but now people defend that aspect, and feel powerless outside of it. But I suppose that's the obvious end-point of people thinking the internet was made for video and images, and not linked documents.
>>
>>61817828
>pause video
>want to just read the article
>the fucking video scrolls with you
>>
>>61820413

And they'll complain about their hosting cost, and that they need you to disable your ad blocker.

Get rid of all the shit and your costs will plummet. But nope, gotta have 10MB of Javascript, HD video and 50 images (and about 20k of HTML which is what I wanted in the first place).
>>
>>61816724
Most of that is image size.
>>
No more images/videos/media on webpages. Only text. Any pages that do need images have to use a properly scaled SVG.
>>
>>61820452
The reason behind it is that lots of sites these days exist to milk ad money, not to give people information. For them even the millionth of a cent that it costs to send 20kb of plain text is waste if they don't make back more than that in advertising.

The bloat will only stop when we kill the ad industry.
>>
>>61820504
>lots of sites these days exist to milk ad money

>install adblocker
>damn near every website begs you to whitelist it
>even worse are site like forbes that wont let you access it untill you whitelist it
>>
>>61816724
Only rural and suburban retards care about web bloat.
>>
>>61820556
Love this /pol/ hillary meme.
>>
>>61820535
>even worse are site like forbes that wont let you access it untill you whitelist it

I usually stop visting those sites then. There have to be some line.
>>
>>61819564
Shut up, goy.

>>61820535
>let you
That's a relative term. It's always been pretty easy to pretend you're the webpage and download the actual, real, worthwhile content rather than the shitty framing. EME may change that if they extend it to text/* types.

>>61820556
CTR pls go back to school
>>
>>61820590
I think they just block you entirely because if there were to go "because you have an ad blocker you just get a .txt file" most people would be thankful.
>>
>>61820535
Use a script blocker. The "OMFG whitelist us!" is almost always JS. There's a lot of sites that still display the article with JS off, the layout is just fucked. Of the sites that don't, allowing first-party but not third-party JS often allows the content to display while breaking the ads and ad-blocker checks.

Advanced trick: Set up a hosts file, and then run a webserver on localhost (most ad-blocking hosts files redirect ad domains to 127.0.0.1) that responds to all requests with a 204 No Content.
>>
>muh 2MB
fuck off pajeet.
>>
>>61817893
All that does is move the bloat from the frameworks to the language itself.
>>
Required reading:
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
>>
>>61820750
Much more constructive and helpful than MotherfuckingWebsite

https://liteweb.neocities.org/
>>
>>61816724
move to first world and get internet service without transfer caps
>>
>>61816724
build sites properly and browse with elinks
>>
>>61819467

High margin enterprise applications drive AMD/Intel because margins are garbage in consumer hardware. General consumers get stripped down models from all the effort. The flip side is that most ARM SoCs are designed from the ground up for consumer applications so those companies would be more inclined to keep shitty inefficient web design going.
>>
>>61820813
>lol just deal with shit don't question or complain against it

It's amazing how much a technology board can withstand shitty implementations of technology.
>>
>>61820883
theres a lot of people here who don't really care about technology, they just like consumerism.
>>
>>61820883
there's nothing about "shitty implementations of technology" in the op, so I have no idea what you're reffering to
>>
>>61816724
Not visiting websites like that.
>>
>>61816724
Get a modern computer and internet service.
>>
>>61821510
This. Pay more to your ISP and spend a few hundred on a new machine.
>>
Disable bloat on your end and direct your usage to lean sites. Then either get into the business of making your own lean sites or coming up with ways for webdevs to do it more often.

Someone made Javascript. Someone can replace it.
>>
>>61821785
The replacement for JavaScript should ne a big hole with a sign that says "don't put anything here."
>>
>>61816724

What about CPU heavy websites? Take Brazzers for example;

1 Brazzers tab: a couple of % usage
30 Brazzers tab: 60% usage of my fucking 8-core processor and it makes my browser sluggish as shit

I can have infinite regular HTML/CSS non-responsive websites open with less CPU usage compared to this faggotnigger responsive HTML5 design language bullshit
>>
>>61821802
are you browsing 4chan without any js? have fun clicking quotelinks jumping around the page to follow the discussion
>>
>>61821887
>3dpd shit
you deserve it
>>
>>61817893
Already happened, I replace it with based elm.
Have never been developing happier
>>
>>61821785
javascript is fine. its the frameworks that are bad and every unskilled pajeet webdev uses those instead of writing their own efficient javascript code that does only needed things.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.