[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you using the Void GNU/Linux distribution /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: installvoid.png (62KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
installvoid.png
62KB, 600x500px
Why aren't you using the Void GNU/Linux distribution /g/? Do you enjoy the systemDick?
>>
I confirm Void is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>61811061
Yes, I enjoy systemd.
Now stop spreading fud and get a better job Microsoft shill.
>>
>>61811081
>Microsoft shill
>I enjoy systemd
>>
>>61811061
Hey Luke Smith, how is your Thinkmeme? Still rendering that video from a week ago?
>>
parabola with openrc exists
>>
>>61811154
runit takes the KISS philosophy to a whole new level
>>
someone sell me on void
>>
>>61811219
I will do the oposite, Void still has no python 3.6.
>>
>>61811219
>rolling release with relatively recent packages
>stable, doesn't break every two weeks
>faster and lighter than Arch, 20MB of ram usage out of the box
>actually has a TUI installer that does the job in five minutes if you don't want to do the chroot procedure
>stupidly simple and fast init system
>not just a fork, has its own package manager that's again faster than pacman & co
>templates for new packages can be made easily
>has a system to build from source similar to BSD's port tree
>has musl version available
>uses LibreSSL instead of insecure OpenSSL
>still supports 32-bit
>>
>>61811311
>relatively recent
>no python 3.6 in almost a year now.
>>
Void is so good, there is even an installer, you don't need to copy past the wiki to install void (cough cough arch)
>>
>>61811419
That's a feature.
>>
void is another way of saying time sink
>>
>>61811242
Then build the package and upload it to the repo you lazy piece of shit.
>>
>>61811061
What does systemd actually do that people don't like?
>>
>>61811955
Everything.
>>
>>61811955
retarded devs, massive incidente waiting to happen, something like heartbleed^9999
>>
Windows 7 is still working for me, anon. But thank you for your concern.
>>
>>61811955
Systemd thinks that traps aren't gay.
>>
>>61811955
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>61812013

>>61812024
nothing to fear goy
>>
>>61811061
But I am.
>>
>>61811119
Why would one render videos on a laptop?
I use my Thinkpad Laptop as a Browsing/Coding/SSH machine and it never had any Problems with that.
For demanding tasks i have my Workstation at Home.
>>
In fact I am
>>
>>61812712
>In fact I am a loser, a virgin, a dumbass.
>>
>>61811061
Sell me Void.
>>
Because I use gentoo with openrc
>>
>>61812712
>default urxvt
I'm gonna puke.

Urxvt*font: xft:Terminus:size=8
Urxvt*scrollbar: false

Then get yourself a colour scheme from http://dotshare.it/category/terms/colors/
>>
>>61812958
That would've been my next step, I just didn't have time yet. But thanks for your suggestion!
>>
I dont use void for the same reason i dont use any linux...it fucking sucks.
>>
>>61811061
> Do you enjoy the systemDick?
I have it, so I don't mind it.
>>
>>61811061
No, I'm enjoying FreeBSD
>>
>>61813234
I bet it's even worse
>>
>>61811311
great another package manager
>>
File: 1492514592290.png (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1492514592290.png
69KB, 512x512px
>not even picrel
kys
>>
>>61811311
>rolling release with relatively recent packages
>stable, doesn't break every two weeks

no son , you must choose one
>>
>>61811242
>Python 3.6
WHO the FUCK needs shitty babby-tier langs like Python? Void isn't for children you retard
>>
File: 2017-08-09-134242_1366x768_scrot.png (200KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-09-134242_1366x768_scrot.png
200KB, 1366x768px
Void is the futur of Linux.
>>61811242
Python version is fine, at least it's not python 2
>>
>>61814002
>Roboto Mono
patrician
>>
>>61811081
Please think before you post.
>>
>>61811061
it is called Linux OP
>>
>>61814083
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>61814145
maybe if you are talking about debian that is actually called that
>>
>>61812646
MacBook can render 4k video
Thinkpad can't render fullhd
LMAO
> inb4: t. mactoddler
t. cuckpad
>>
>>61814202
Richard Stallman says that apple fanboys are foolish people.
>>
>>61814175
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: yeassprettygud.gif (2MB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
yeassprettygud.gif
2MB, 350x250px
You know what we'll have in ten years?

SystemD

You know what we won't have? Guess.
>>
>>61814484
Basic rights
>>
>>61811061
>systemdick
do you have a dick fixation anon?
>>
B-but I h have a arch a already...
W why should I d ditch mah w working a arch..?
A and mah steam gaymes...
>>
>>61813674
Python is a very patrician language, watch your tone Plebian.
>>
>>61814484
Systemd?
:*)
>>
>>61811061
How do I get void-musl to work in QEMU?
Installed latest musl cinnamon but tty7 only shows black, no errors in xorg.0.log

PS: your installer and documentation is lacking defaults and everything
>>
For me, it's guixSD, the best beta systemd-free linux distribution
>>
>>61814484
Jews?
>>
>>61813023
Fuck off, shill.
>>
>>61811061
SystemD is comfy af and the best thing about Linux.
>>
>>61821229
>af
Reddit is that way kid
>>
>>61811061
I like gentoo
>>
>>61821229
Yea, I don't get all the system D hate. Its like everyone here just jumps on a bandwagon without looking at the code. Systemd isn't bad. It could use work, but its just a daemon. Its a little bloated for things such as embedded work, and its design is a little clumsy, but its not as bad as all these tweens are making it out to be without reason.
>>
>>61822505
Linux is about choice. The fact that on most distros you can't choose an init system other than systemd should tell you everything you need to know.

I run Debian systemd/GNU/Linux on my desktop but void linux on my laptop.
>>
>>61822529
You have many distros to choose from. How do you not have choices? ????

Its not like Mac or Windows, where what ever the corporation gives you, you MUST take. If you don't like it, dont use it. And if you do like it, and you want to improve it, mod it. ITS LINUX. I can easily change my system files at anytime.
>>
>>61811061
>Why aren't you using the Void GNU/Linux distribution /g/?
Because it fails to run.

I was recommended in the >>/g/cyb and I made an attempt. It just does not work.
>>
void is super comfy. install is a breeze, light as a feather (200mb oob), installing programs is retardproof.
>>
>>61811061
>Do you enjoy the systemDick?
Of course not, which is why I'm using sysvinit on my Debian systems.
>>
>>61822505
>without looking at the code
It's not about the implementation details, but about the architecture and general idea. Systemd is probably fine if you want a system that is like Windows -- complex and opaque for the sake of "just werking" -- but if you want a Unix-like system, then systemd is cancer. It is everything that Unix is not.
>>
>>61822572
But after distro hopping I found most distros are shit. Debian is the best one and it suits me. Debian without systemd is Devuan, and Devuan is outdated.

Non-systemd distros to choose from:
>gentoo
Don't want to wait hours to install software.
>slackware
The package manager doesn't even have dependency resolution.
>void
As I said, I use this on my laptop.
>>
>>61822505
>Yea, I don't get all the system D hate.
It's because "muh unix philosophy"

They are mainly mad because it does not "just do one thing and do it well" it does several things at once and they consider it a potential security risk even though nobody have found any direct flaws with it.
>>
>>61822611
It's not supposed to work. Much safer that way because then nobody can hack it.
>>
>>61823659
>it does several things at once
And badly, predictably so. Whoever thought that binary logs were a good thing, just for one thing?
>>
>>61823938
It works fine, make something better yourself if you are such an expert. If it's better then the Linux community will change. The distros use SystemD because it works well.
>>
>>61824074
>make something better yourself if you are such an expert
I don't need to, since sysvinit already exists.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.