[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

got a pair of these speakers. sticker on the back says 45watts.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

got a pair of these speakers.
sticker on the back says 45watts.

see a lot of amps on amazon that are 50 wpc, under 100$, and tiny as fuck. are those really capable of driving these things?
>>
>>61799875
OP here

seeing a lot of things like pic related.

other than the lack of inputs am i really missing out by not getting a full sized amp?
>>
>>61799920
>>61799875
>>
>>61799920
I use an old receiver I got for free for my rather small speakers. Full size one should give you More inputs I also tend to use the phono input a lot for my turntable
>>
File: BX2_smsl_sa60.jpg (269KB, 1593x1428px) Image search: [Google]
BX2_smsl_sa60.jpg
269KB, 1593x1428px
yes, they will drive it
you will not go to crazy volumes where distortion starts

I am running this mighty fine
speakers are 100W while smsl amp is 50W
>>
>>61799939
that's shit
for the about some $$ you can buy a vintage amp
It's 100 times better than this chinese piece of shit
>>
>>61801228
kek'd
>>
>>61799875
That's just what the engineers said the sustained wattage you can give it until it burns itself out. If you're using them as near fields you can just use a 5watt per channel amp depending on the speaker's sensitivity
>>
>>61801228
You might be suprised

t. owner of a number of vintage amps and $40 chinese amp
>>
>>61799875
Those digital amps are fine. I'd avoid lepai just because they distort heavily, but the smsl class D amps work well for the application.

You could also check your local craigslist for decent vintage receivers.
>>
File: 20170808_135502.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_135502.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>61799875
yes, unless you like your music REALLY loud

>>61799920
depends on how finicky you are with sound fidelity; most sony speakers are mid-tier, meaning they're good

>>61799939
OP would do better going to a good thrift shop over several weeks and picking up a low end onkyo receiver (or something compatible) for $8

>>61800125
those are quite decent speakers

>>61801228
agreed

>>61802110
this is good advice

if OP will post approximate state, I will find something for less than $50 that's "not bad"

after i have suppa
>>
>>61800125
>yes, they will drive it
>you will not go to crazy volumes where distortion starts
>I am running this mighty fine
>speakers are 100W while smsl amp is 50W
Love those bx2's, driving mine with a tpa3116 amp
>>
I have a nice vintage fm receiver/amp capable of 125 watts per side. What speakers should I get. I have Altec model 5's with it, but it turns out the woofers are cheap replacements.
>>
>>61805659
b&w matrix 801 series 3
>>
Glen Campbell just died.
>>
>>61799939
These things always ship with crappy underpowered power supplies. You can do better for the money.
>>
>>61806519
At least get a SMSL with a 24v supply
>>
>>61799875
The only good chink T amps is topping TP60 and at this point you can get nice yamaha amp for the same price. Rule of thumb is - unless you have a laptop power supply you don't need so you can get cheap T amp without power supply for 20-25$ and run speakers on that setup go for real amp. That 50 wpc t-amp can maybe deliver 25w per channel clean. And by clean i mean >0.1 but less than 1%. Do not expect 0.001 a good stereo amp can put.
>>
>>61799875
Go to a local secondhand store and buy an old decent amp that will probably be better and for less than half the price of >>61799939
The only thing you miss out on is size, but those speakers doesn't seem so small so I guess that's not a big problem.
>>
>>61799875
chink amps will kill your speakers if you turn up the volume
>>
>>61799875
>are those really capable
Probably, depends on the specific implementation and QC, but definitely some are. Most of these cheap amps are based on the same ICs, those ICs are generally very capable of the numbers quoted, but a bad heatsink solution or bad supporting components can quickly make a shit design.
>>
>>61804843
wut? not even a 75wpc amp goes really loud. i would be surprised if those tiny chink amps could even play something loud enough to be heard and even more if they dont explode when trying to play something that goes under 500hz.
>>
I'm using the LP-2020A+ with some old 35W Pioneer Linear Powers, using a 4 amp power supply and I've rarely taken it past the 1/3 way mark, neighbors will complain if I go higher.

Tripath TA2020 chips were used in pretty good stuff back in the day.

You just gotta replace a few caps for cheap to clean up the signal.
>>
>>61799875
Plug your phone into one of the speakers and play some music. I think you'll be surprised.
The bigger the speaker the more efficient it is at transforming electricity into sound.
>>
>>61807678
>I own shit stereo equipment
>>
>>61799875
That rating isn't how much they require to be driven. A 1 watt amp would probably drive those without any issue. That rating is for how many watts they can take before distorting.

/g/ doesn't know jack shit about amplifiers or speaker technology unfortunately.
>>
>>61808622
We sadly don't have speaker generals anymore.

I miss the [PLEBSPOTTERS] & Hornloaded posting.
>>
>>61808586
not really. the speakers just need lots of power if you want to play loud music without distortion. theres no way those tiny amps can do anything that is even close to a real amp. also when i say loud i mean so loud that you can feel it.
>>
I've tried out an SMSL sa-50 for my pair of JBL 530s out of curiosity and eh, it had a very audible hissing that made me straight up send it back.

If you're on an extreme budget with cheap speakers that won't be so sensitive, cheap shitty chinese T-amps should be fine but if you can find anything old and vintage locally it will blow them away.

Using an onkyo-9010 for mine now and it works perfectly with zero distortion or noise, in hindsight I regret not searching around for a good condition marantz or something instead.
>>
>speakers and not a pair of active studio monitors
every last pro will tell you the same thing, you get what you pay for when it comes to audio
don't expect decent sound and lasting equipment if you spend less than half a grand
>>
>>61799875
Get this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0H8TOC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1I8HET4JCP6O1&colid=2NP2NKYCLRKZB
>>
I'm glad retro hi fi amps and receivers are so popular and cheap here
These days you would have to pay at least $800 to get anything even close to that that's modern.

Makes me fucking cringe seeing the stupidity ITT.

>inb4 hurr audiophile
No. Fuck those meme men.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.