[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 36

File: 1281445963811.gif (544KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1281445963811.gif
544KB, 400x400px
Previous thread: >>61769204

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Long live the almighty GNU.
>>
First for:
LLVM
Clang
Busybox
musl c
Alpine Linux
>>
>>61798778
>LLVM
>Clang
Aren't those two the same thing?
>>
>>61798621
why do fglt threads always worship some guy who didn't even write Linux?

that's some creepy cultish shit mang
>>
I used an old version of redhat in the late 90s and I'm trying to find some RPG game that came with it. It was kinda like diablo.
>>
>>61798796
Clang is just a compiler, LLVM is an infrastructure
https://llvm.org/
>>
>>61798808
>always
>>61783349
>>
>>61799139
Funny you're not following you're own advice.
>Not really funny. Just kind of irritating
>>
>>61798778

No one cares what you're consuming, you utter retard.
You didn't write none of those things you listed. You are merely a pathetic leech who is using other people's work. Yet you feel some sort of pride for using software other people wrote. Millions of people are using that software. You are not special. The only way you are special is in your retardation because you think that it's warranted to feel like a special snowflake and to feel pride for using software.

I bet you post in desktop threads. Kill yourself.
>>
>>61799399
>You didn't write none of those things you listed
You didnt write anything in your os either.
Your "point" has no merit
>>
>>61799418

Typical reaction response from a retard.
I don't care about your bikeshedding discussion, you imbecile. I am not a retard who has to inflate his literally retarded intelligence by discussing pointless things. I don't care about your GNU or not-GNU software.
I am just pointing out your idiocy you fucking idiot. I never claimed to have written useful software. But neither am I displaying pride for using software other people wrote. You have nothing in your life, so you latch on to other people's work and try to leech off a sense of accomplishment from it.
Kill yourself you waste of precious 4chan megabytes (I am aware of the irony of wasting precious 4chan megabytes on this post, but it was worth it).
>>
>>61798621
theres already a thread up: >>61783349
>>
>>61799544
No need to browse.
>busybox cuck kike /pol/ troll communist political toejam alpine gnufag install alpine cuck commie non-political jewish tricks clang
It's all the same.
>>
>systemd
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>61799691
/gdfi/ thread?
>>
>>61799691
,It's just linux,search the web, everyone calls it linux,only idiots would call it something else
>>
AMD or Nvidia GPU for my Linux desktop? Don't want to play the most recent gen gaymes, just mess around in Source engine, indie stuff and other shit at 1080P. Trying to find a good mid range card.
>>
>>61799765
nvidia drivers are superior to amd free and blob
>>
>>61799744
Can the mods create a word filter pls.
>>
>>61799786
Wrong website, try again on reddit.
>>
>>61799764
I call it linux myself most of the time.
I use GNU/Linux on /g/ so i dont' trigger a copypaste reply.
On the other hand, I don't believe Richard Stallman is the antichrist and the GPL is a communist conspiracy. I'm not that big of a God damned fucking idiot.
>>
>>61799801
You must be new here.
>>
File: starwars_interjection.gif (221KB, 483x286px) Image search: [Google]
starwars_interjection.gif
221KB, 483x286px
>>61799764
Linux is the correct name. I mean, Linus wrote the kernel, why shouldn't he be allowed to call the kernel whatever he wants? The name of the kernel, used with the GNU system is simply Linux.
>>
Quick question, I have a shell script with a line that calls "rm" and I want to make sure that there will never be any failure, since what rm removes is a variable direcory.

Any hints how to make
rm "$dir"/*

secure are welcome.
>>
>>61799994
- never use rm on the actual filesystem, use /temp instead
- man mktemp
- using ${dir:?} or ${dir:?ur gay} will print an error if the variable is empty
- man bash
- dont use globs, use find with a proper regex
>>
>>61799994
You mean so you don't accidentally 4G of rars?
rm -i
or
find yadayada -ok rm {} \;
>>
>>61799994
rm -r $dir
>>
File: 1501428366070.jpg (105KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1501428366070.jpg
105KB, 850x1200px
"systemctl suspend" seems to often lock my computer up when I switch it back on later, I can run the command once, then power back on fine, but always on the second time my waindow manager and programs are unresponsive, I can still move the mouse around and switch to a working different tty then log back in, but can't unfreeze my main session, it's just like a screenshot.

Any ideas how to resolve this, or which log files to check for errors?
>>
>>61800378
you might have multiple apps doing powermanagement

disable acpid.service upower.service as systemd loads them when needed
>>
>>61799629
kek
>>
Before I transitioned from Windows, I exported the magnet links from qBittorrent.

Now, I have qBittorrent on Ubuntu and I know how to add the magnets, but adding and forcing recheck doesn't do anything - it still tries to redownload everything, despite the files already being there.
Also, when I add all at once, my screen freezes and I have to restart because I don't know how to just kill qBittorrent.

How can I add the magnet links and make the program recognize that the files are already there? I don't want to redownload my whole collection every time I switch distros or torrent clients.
>>
>>61800789
get the program to re-download the folder info
exit program
cut paste existing files into fresh folder
>>
Can someone link me to a good noob friendly arch install video on youtube?
I'm a noob and this would be my second distro after ubuntu.
>>
>>61799399
Oh, it's that retard again. Long time I didn't see you with that shit pasta. I thought you finally had died.
>>
>>61800892
>arch

how about debian, do a minimal netboot install and set debian-backports to highest priority before installing desktop environment
>>
File: wtflol.png (176KB, 1348x1027px) Image search: [Google]
wtflol.png
176KB, 1348x1027px
this is why I try to avoid reading jewtube comments

jesus christ
>>
>>61800378
There's some file I believe it's in /proc which you can cat to see which modes are supported. I'm too lazy to google.
>>
>>61800938
i wanted to eventually move to arch so thought jumping on to arch directly instead of distro hopping would be a good idea.
>>
File: ponder.png (30KB, 336x365px) Image search: [Google]
ponder.png
30KB, 336x365px
>>61800959
What if they're actually the world's greatest trolls?
>>
>>61801005
ubuntu is a debian derivitave, so doing a cmdline debian install would be the next logical step before pacmanning -Ss nano /etc/fstabbing your way into a whole new world
>>
>>61801005
arch is a stepping stone
>>
File: the cave.jpg (389KB, 900x508px) Image search: [Google]
the cave.jpg
389KB, 900x508px
to people who use distros that are "above" the babby distros like ubuntu and mint: why?

not trolling, just curious. i have been using ubuntu for the past year and loving it. i installed arch on a virtual machine and just kind of thought "ok, what's the difference?"

i am interested in moving up the linux pyramid for nothing else than personal curiosity about computer systems but i am interested in knowing what are some real, concrete benefits to using something like arch or gentoo? or should i move on to something more "intermediate" first?
>>
>>61800892

this one worked for me and had a delightful slav accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdPSGb9f5s&lc=z22xdt0iewuatph25acdp43b1tsmflfenlbxii1jgjlw03c010c.1501928933442144
>>
>>61798621
When it comes to long term support, should I get 16.04 of Ubuntu or 17.04? My main concern is stability.
>>
>>61801458
one day you decide you want to encode mp4s with fdk_aac codec in ffmpeg
>>
>>61801458
To be honest I just wanted to try if I could install Arch since /g/ said it was hard. Then I simply stuck with it since I didn't see any reason to switch. so basically I'm pretty much like you, except I started with Arch.
If anything is especially good with it I guess it could be the out of the box customization, that you can directly choose your DE/VM etc. other than that I don't really know, haven't used other distros so much that I can compare them actually.
>>
>>61800973

I'm pretty certain it's supported as it use to work fine, just I stopped using it and when I started suspending again recently it fails.
>>
>>61801458
distro packages < locally built packages
>>
>>61799863
>The kernel used with the SystemD system
Ftfy
>>
>>61801648

could you elaborate on this? i really want to know what exactly are the advantages to using more advanced distributions rather than just charging in blindly and not taking advantage of them
>>
There's so much happening right now with Wayland, GNOME3, KDE Plasma.

What RAM usage do you guys get on boot-up with GNOME3 on Wayland and KDE on Wayland?
Do any of you use it with Intel GPUs and does everything just werk because muh intel open source?

Would a 1.5GB RAM + intel GMA950 machine be enough to run GNOME3 Wayland or KDE?.
>>
>>61801458
I use gentoo for no particular reason, i just like using it now
>>
File: chrome_2017-08-08_15-09-28.png (37KB, 445x525px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-08-08_15-09-28.png
37KB, 445x525px
In the windows if i want more bass i do in the pic related, but in linux? how do?
>>
>>61801731
for a distribution package to be compatible with a vast array of systems it has to be built with a basic minimal configuration with no cpu specific optimizations, and even still a package can randomly crash if it wasn't built by the maintainer properly, but when you compile the packages locally they are configured to be optimized for that system and this makes for a stable environment
>>
>>61801458

Initially I chose Arch mostly because I wanted to know more about what actually makes up my system, and wanted to become proficient enough with linux to be able to not only use it, but comfortably resolve problems with it. When I first tried Ubuntu and other distros, if something broke, I had no idea where to go to fix it. After struggling through with an arch install, I then had a fairly good understanding of what was what.

Also none of the other linux distros I tried I liked, most of the DE's are ugly or bloated, and I always found myself immediately uninstalling shit just to get an environment I wanted, with Arch that wasn't a problem as you built up what you needed, and when you finished, you had a system that was perfect for just you and met all your needs without bloat.

I don't use any of the arch alternatives either as I'd rather be using the main branch, not some other version with slight differences that might run into problems that take weeks to fix instead of a week.
>>
Alpine Linux is the best Linux OS for serious business.
>>
any hints for saving battery life?
>>
>>61801803
>when you compile the packages locally

do you have to have a lot of knowledge about your system hardware and low-level settings to do this, or does it somehow know how to optimize itself within the environment in which it is being installed?

btw thanks for the response
>>
>>61802020
powertop
>>
>>61801938
Arch uses scripts to simplify the installation.
Things like pacstrap and arch-chroot.
Try reading the gentoo guide or even the linux from scratch books to get a real understanding,even if you don't actually install them.
Try chrooting from a live session just as an exercise.
Arch is a solid distro and any de I've tried on it is quite nice out of the box. And the wiki is great.
Don't let /g/ meme you into feeling you must use a lightweight window manager, or that more packages = bloat.
>>
>>61802046

also id like to add to this, can you locally build packages on the babby distros like ubuntu and mint as well?
>>
I fixed my audio issues on chrome (didn't get audio) per HDMI from one of the last threads.

I did it by typing:
pavucontrol
...and then setting the correct audio device: HDMI2. Weird, because I had thought I went through each of them.

There's a new problem, though: I think I accidentally uninstalled the gnome settings program. When I click on the settings symbol in the dropdown menu in the top right and when I search for system settings, nothing happens. (In the latter case, Ubuntu settings show up, which are worthless because you can't set shit there.)
>>
File: 1.jpg (76KB, 610x660px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
76KB, 610x660px
Is possible to turn off the hd in linux like windows for better battery life? i have a ssd and a hard drive and most of the time i don't need the hd.
>>
>>61801799
No answers he. KEK
>>
>>61802046
you should be familiar with using lspci -vk to find your hardware and dmesg shows how it interacts with the software, optimizations require a basic config and is automatic on a per package basis, how fine you wish to tune your system is up to you most of the default configs will work and yes packages can be compiled on regular distros but aren't as integrated through automation
>>
>>61802115
Try checkinstall for building your own packages on rpm or deb distros (also slackware)
See debian page about building debs.
Learn by doing.
Read the READMEs.
Read the github install instructions.
Try ./configure --help
>>
>>61802224
KEK
>>
>>61802196
battery life, use the tuxonice kernel or compile kernel with the conservative governor as default, and make sure the proper power management interfaces are selected, acpid for amd and older intels, if newer intel make sure p-states is enabled
>>
>>61802136
>I fixed my audio issues on chrome
I closed pavucontrol and now it's broken again. Doing the same thing didn't bring the audio back. ;_;
>>
>>61802349
use the pulse audio equalizer module https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio#Additional_software
>>
>>61802349
install alsa-equal
>>
If I wanted to grep or awk specific lines from a file, not containing <anything goes here>s.<anything> how would I go about that? can't figure it out.
>>
>>61802460
grep -v 'pattern' file

-v inverts the search
>>
>>61802477
yes I know that, it's the wildcard part that's fucking me over. .*s\..* didn't work for finding any string containing "s."
>>
>>61802460
Maybe encapsulate the regex in
[^regex goes here]
? Not sure I totally understand the question.
>>
>>61802477
>>61802513
Nevermind I'm retarded, it was my piping that was broken. Thanks anyway anon, you did actually help <3
>>
File: 1493691823759.png (191KB, 410x409px) Image search: [Google]
1493691823759.png
191KB, 410x409px
Which programs exept your browser do you firejail?
>>
has anyone here used antergos? how is it?
>>
File: 1471868989489.gif (1MB, 399x197px) Image search: [Google]
1471868989489.gif
1MB, 399x197px
>>
>>61802196
I'm surprised nobody has answered with tlp (https://github.com/linrunner/TLP):
TLP brings you the benefits of advanced power management for Linux without the need
to understand every technical detail. TLP comes with a default configuration already
optimized for battery life, so you may just install and forget it. Nevertheless TLP
is highly customizable to fulfil your specific requirements.
(...)
- Hard disk advanced power magement level and spin down timeout (per disk)

just install tlp, check if the service was automatically activated (most likely), and enjoy twice the battery life. My thinkpad e450 has 4-5 hours on windows, and up to 11-12 hours on linux, no joke
>>
>install Ubuntu
>install some scripts to improve hardware functionality due to Cherry Trail processor
>fuck up somehow

And now I can only boot into TTY mode, and I can't swap into the normal GUI because it appears to be straight up inaccessible despite still being installed on the hard drive. I also can't seem to figure out how to boot into GRUB so I can reinstall Ubuntu from scratch; holding down Shift or the Function keys doesn't work.
>>
>>61802196
use hdparm with the -S operator

refer to the manpage for further info. This will turn off your hdd if not used for the specified time.
>>
I can't figure out how to make a USB formatted in Linux work on Windows:
>create an exFAT/NTFS type system using cfdisk
>create a primary partition
>format it using mkfs.exfat command
>mount it
>copy files to mount point
>unmount
>insert USB into W10 laptop
>error message saying device needs to be formatted before use
>>
>switch over for the first time

>tearing outta the ass, even after doing Compton shenanigans and trying different drivers
>mouse doesn't work
>none of my previous programs except for browsers available, but I expected that, so that's okay, BUT all the Linux alternatives suck
>NVidia Optimus just straight up doesn't work, always uses the iGPU and I have to switch it manually to the dedicated one
>audio crackling
>have to spend >80% of my time going through outdated wikis and fora to find fixes that introduce new problems
If I had to sum up my whole experience so far in one word, it'd be: frustrating.

Especially the tearing thing is insane. It's 2017 and 4 out of 5 distros I tried had huge problems with it.

Maybe I'll come back in 5 years when Wayland is established and more programs are crossplatform, but I'd rather get fucked in the ass by Microsoft spyware than have absolutely nothing working properly. I probably lost a year of my life on the anger and stress, and I definitely wasted a month of time to look up things that really should just work. It felt like I was working for the OS, rather than the OS working for me.
>>
File: 1476843277974.gif (44KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1476843277974.gif
44KB, 499x499px
>>
File: avatar.jpg (197KB, 506x602px) Image search: [Google]
197KB, 506x602px
What's a good VM to run Kali in?
>>
>>61803176
running /fglt/ what are some cool terminal commands full of regex I can't decypher.
>>
Absolute beginner here, finally managed to put Xubuntu onto a laptop. Where do I go from here.
Also, on startup it flashes with like 5 hardware errors. Is that an issue? Everything seems to be working, though...
>>
>>61805935
If it boots completely, no
>>
File: qt.jpg (15KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
15KB, 300x250px
Is there anyone else that can't get chiru.no to work with Deadbeef?
After spending half an hour fixing multimedia keys not working it's the only thing I have left to do. Other sites such as Gensokyo Radio work just fine.
>>
Is it possible to reboot Ubuntu from the terminal and then from a USB, without having to enter BIOS settings? Because apparently my laptop still won't let me touch the BIOS.

Otherwise, would it be possible to access my laptop over a Wi-Fi network from a different computer and try to fix things that way? FTP, maybe?
>>
File: 1501382515923.jpg (122KB, 523x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501382515923.jpg
122KB, 523x500px
Can I run a LFS build on a rasberry pi or repurposed phone without large complications?
>>
What is the correct way to import a color theme in .Xdefaults without copy pasting it?
>>
>>61804419
are you using GPT or MBR(msdos) for the partition table?
>>
File: 20170808195744.png (185KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
20170808195744.png
185KB, 1280x800px
how to fix no lie?
running manjaro btw
>>
>>61798621
Got a question regarding Wine, and I'm not sure if I'm just searching the wrong terms or if the bug is somewhat unknown.

So games that require mouse warp (where the mouse is effectively locked to the center) have started behaving in a rather irritating manner somewhere between 2.0 and 2.4. Instead of locking the cursor to the center, it acts as though there is a bounding box after about 30-60 seconds of use. This issue is temporarily undone if the window loses focus and regains it, but the bug returns in the same period of time.

Does anyone know about this, or better yet, know how to fix it?
>>
>>61807076
Check if your game has an entry in WINE-HQ.
Thats a place where people rate how good a program/game works and share fixes.
>>
>>61801799
You have to mess with ALSA drivers, it's a pain in the ass.
>>
File: 1492292859874.jpg (93KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492292859874.jpg
93KB, 250x250px
HURD 1.0 soon
>>
>>61807370
I've checked many times. This occurs across multiple titles, and my original fix was to just use Wine 2.0 as it lacked the issue. Since Steam updated at some point, it won't run on that version of Wine, leaving me with the buggy versions.

It sounds just like what used to happen way back in Wine 1.4. See the following link.
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30123
>>
what makes gentoo better than other distros?
>>
>>61807613
install gentoo
>>
What distro with pacman, no systemd, and is easy to install and configure do you recommend?
>>
>>61807613
Finer-grained control over your package management
Installs from scratch so you get exactly what you want/need
USE flags let you decide exactly which features are compiled into your software
Fantastic documentation/wiki
>>
>>61807474
Sorry, I think I posted the wrong bug number. It was still mouse related, but a different issue.
>>
Why does Wine have no internet on my Manjaro system?

iexplore.exe opens to a blank page, and I get the following output:
fixme:ole:CoResumeClassObjects stub
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.
fixme:ieframe:handle_navigation_error Navigate to error page
>>
>>61807066
open up winetricks and install the core fonts
>>
>>61808312
Nevermind, just had to install lib32-gnutls and it worked like a charm.
>>
>>61803770
>>>/wsg/1816054
>>
File: 1501954921810.webm (607KB, 416x224px) Image search: [Google]
1501954921810.webm
607KB, 416x224px
>>61809149
never mind I'll just strip off the audio and post it here
>>
File: jXMBW1G1_200x200.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
jXMBW1G1_200x200.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
Hey dudes. Been browsing this board for a few years now and am getting a new laptop in tomorrow. So tell me, why Linux?

It comes with Windows (always have been a Windows fag). I like it because it runs muh vidya games but I'll be primarily using this laptop for school, programming (C++), and casual use. Just something personal and comfy.

Can it do the following and better?

>school work (I use google drive)
>C++ programming
>casual use

I'm thinking about Linux 'cuz I want comfy and lightweight, not slow and bogged down. Thanks.
>>
there's a video i'm streaming, but the audio and video are incredibly out of sync. is it possible for me to sync them up by downloading it and using mpv or something simple?
>>
Are there any distros lighter than Debian that have Steam in their repos?

Is there an easy way to set full disk encryption in Linux? It's very easy in OpenBSD.
>>
>>61809399
No native google drive client. Trying to figure out how best to use the web interface to sync myself.
>>
File: linus-eff-you-640x363.png (213KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
linus-eff-you-640x363.png
213KB, 640x359px
>cp file to usb drive on /mnt/
>finish in 3 seconds done!
>umount -l /mnt
>take 5 minutes
Why the shit is this allowed?
>>
>>61800892
Antoun Saweris (or however you spell it) has some tutorials although I believe they're shitty.
>>
>>61809399
C++ development on Windows is shit, so it isn't hard to beat. Linux has GCC and clang which are probably the best C++ compilers.
For casual use you can make your desktop how you want it, you could even make your own WM if you want.
>>
>>61810622
oh yeah and for school just use TeX or LaTeX (LaTeX is easier to learn how to use), it's better than everything else.
>>
>>61810099
How the hell is there not a google drive client for Linux?
It baffles me sometimes how the most trivial software can be OS dependent, especially from a company like google I would have thought they were better than that.

Google Drive apparently uses OAuth so you can actually have full access to add, delete, whatever even from a Linux machine as long as you have your own server running to receive the callback for authentication.
So it's not like there's some super special proprietary file transfer codec or some shit. How much more trouble could it really be to just make an open syncing protocol and let someone build a terminal based client for it?

For shame google.
>>
>>61803852
TLP is useful only on some old or thinkpads notebooks. In many cases it does nothing in terms of battery. Tested on ASUS k-something -> no changes; Acer Aspire V5-591G -> actually shorter life by approx. 15min; HP Elitebook 3540p -> increase by 5-10 min. In all cases these have twice the battery lifetime on windows. I had to throttle the cpu to get some more juice via tlp, but it's not worth it. Overall, for me tlp and linux battery management is shit

> inba ur service is not running
I am not a noob
>>
File: e56.png (163KB, 680x449px) Image search: [Google]
e56.png
163KB, 680x449px
>install gentoo
>actually fall for the meme
>it's just the arch installation with compiling and menuconfig
That wasn't so bad.
>>
>>61810789
$apt install rclone
https://github.com/ncw/rclone
>>
>>61811063
>go
into the trash
>>
My screen turns off when I'm watching a film and a really dark scene happens. How is that feature called? I want to turn it off, but I don't know what to search for.
Is anyone else experiencing it?
>>
>>61811547
its called a shit monitor
>>
>>61801799
Use alsaequal. Not sure about OSS but from version 4 it should include an equalizer. Jack includes an EQ by default as well
>>
>>61811567

Searched around a bit and apparently it's a power saving mechanism, which can't be turned off on my monitor. Wew.
>>
File: 1474138650636.png (85KB, 480x377px) Image search: [Google]
1474138650636.png
85KB, 480x377px
>>61810338
The filesystem is as lazy as you. It's cache though. Just type:
% sync
and you're good.*

* takes 5 minutes.
>>
I installed Antergos and everytime I try to install something with yaourt it gives an error about an "unkown public key XXXXXXXXXX" every solution I've found is to manually add the key to some keyring, is this normal? is there a way to automate that? can it be fixed in a short time or should I drop Linux entirely and waste my time in something more productive?
>>
anything cooler than audacious to play music on?
>>
>>61811601
What faggot thought that would be a good idea?
Bet they gave him a raise for "innovation in power saving" or some BS since it actually made it through.
>>
>>61811810
It's not like manually adding keys takes a long time. Though if it happens all the time, your keyring may be out of date. Get that baby updated or you'll have a bad time.
>>
Best android emulator for linux? just want upload pics from my laptop to instagram app. no games or anything
>>
>>61811962
I too would be interested in this. Every solution I've seen has some massive failure as though it worked at some point, but got neglected and left behind.
>>
how does GNOME handle brightness? is there a command-line way to increment or decrement brightness?
>>
>sudo apt install tlp

Now what? Is that all I need to do to get improved battery life on my thinkpad?
>>
>>61809163
cute
>>
>>61811810

>a ntergos
>yaourt

Arch doesn't have that problem.
>>
>>61812746

Enable the service and tweak its config file if you want.

>>61811953

He's obviously installing packages from the AUR and that's why it's happening. The fact that he doesn't know where he's installing them from is just proof why Antergos and Yaourt or any other idiocy involving Arch poserdom is retarded.
Had he installed Arch like it's meant to be, he wouldn't have that problem.
>>
Linux
>>
File: Linux Torvalds.jpg (66KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Linux Torvalds.jpg
66KB, 480x640px
>>61813786
Linux Torvalds*
>>
is awesomeWM just i3 with more ricing?
>>
>>61813891
awesome is dwm plus lua
>>
>>61813891
yes
>>
On Linux kernel 4.12.4 with amdgpu, I get these dmesg errors when waking up from suspend to ram:
[   48.724867] [drm:amdgpu_vce_ring_test_ring [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: ring 13 test failed
[ 48.724876] [drm:amdgpu_resume [amdgpu]] *ERROR* resume of IP block <vce_v3_0> failed -110
[ 48.724885] [drm:amdgpu_device_resume [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu_resume failed (-110).
[ 48.724890] dpm_run_callback(): pci_pm_resume+0x0/0xa0 returns -110
[ 48.724891] PM: Device 0000:01:00.0 failed to resume async: error -110

And the screen does not turn on, trying to force it on doesn't work either.
Only way to turn it back on is by rebooting.

Prior to 4.12.4, (I'm on 4.9.41-lts right now), I got these dmesg errors when waking up from suspend:
[  733.603215] [drm:amdgpu_vce_ring_test_ring [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: ring 12 test failed
[ 733.603223] [drm:amdgpu_resume [amdgpu]] *ERROR* resume of IP block <vce_v3_0> failed -110
[ 733.603232] [drm:amdgpu_device_resume [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu_resume failed (-110).

But everything just continues on normally, screen turns on, no GPU problems, can run 3D applications at full performance, can run mpv with high quality config, etc. Yet I still get those seemingly harmless dmesg errors.

I googled it and apparently 4.12 was supposed to fix amdgpu wake/suspend issues, but it's the complete opposite for me, 4.12 is CAUSING wake/suspend issues, and I can't find any fixes for it on google.
What could be the problem here (in both cases)?
Just a kernel bug? or is there something wrong with my hardware? could it be related to my PSU?
>>
>>61813977
Oh and my GPU is an RX 470, if that matters.
>>
Is there a way to remove an ubuntu partition, leave windows, and not have to repair the MBR? don't want to create a boot usb
>>
Everything is going GNOME it seems, are you guys already using GNOME or planning to switch soon? Only thing keeping me back is how it uses a ridiculous amount of RAM on Ubuntu GNOME by default.

Is Fedora any better? Or Debian?
And are people using GNOME with Wayland now?

Separately, does NixOS/GuixSD effectively obsolete Vagrant-type devops shit?
>>
>>61813977
I just googled it again and found this: https://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg149442.html, which was posted yesterday, so it looks like I'm not the only one.
But those ring test failures still worry me. Does anyone else get them?
>>
Budgie or Mate for Solus?
>>
>>61799399
amazing how easy it is to spot people who were bullied in their childhood
>>
OpenSuse, Gnome

I uninstalled a couple of initial programs, but the command to update system reinstalls them back.
What am i doing wrong?
>>
>>61814375
Budgie, mate is regressive shit.
>>
why are there 2 threads?
>>
>>61814753
Because /faglet/ (this thread) is fake news and tried to subvert us with communist lies. /flt/ was here long before /faglet/ was on the scene. Like 2 years before.
>>
>>61814706
How does budgie handle multiple "workspaces"? Sick of every new application launch in Mate opening a new workspace.
>>
>>61814823
I barely ever use multiple workspaces, don't know
>>
>>61814753
The other one is basically satire, powered by /pol/,
>le gommie juice
and 9gag,
>rofl foot cheese xD
Don't follow their advices (uninstalling bash, replacing coreutils, etc), it may break your system.
>>
>>61814811
>communist lies

nope, just freedom.
>>
>>61814861
Are you implying we're wrong that Stallman is
1.a Jew
2.a Marxist communist
3.he hasn't been recorded (it's on fucking YouTube) eating his foot scabs?

Also it's not all of us advising people to do stupid shit like uninstall GNU. We're happy to use GNU when there is a purpose, just like we're happy to run Java when we need to use Intellij Idea. We don't call it GNU/Java/Linux though, because that would be moronic like this thread and the people who get autistic about calling it GNU/Linux.

I'm fine with keeping the thread mostly as this one has gone without Stallmanfags calling people out every 3 seconds about GNUuuuu/Lanoouuxxxx

>>61814887
>Communism is now freedom
Topkek
>>
>>61814930
Here's your (You), now, please stop shitting up this thread; you have your own for that crap.
>>
>>61814930
no you idiot, I was referring to the fact that it isn't communist in any, way, shape or form. Just because something is free as in freedom doesn't mean it's "le gommies"
>>
>>61814930
>Stallman is a jew
He's an atheist
>Stallman is a marxist communist
He's a socialist anarchist
>Stallman eats things from his foot
Yeah, he does.
>>
>>61814952
,How is it freedom,when I don't have the right to develop proprietary software?
>>
can i specify where to install apps on arch?
like i want when i install with pacman to install it in /home/user/apps/
>>
>>61814950
I'm helping that anon understand that this thread is redundant and needs to be deleted or at least spammed with shit until you go back to re dit /GNU and leave us alone without your autism.
>>61814952
It's communism in every way, shape and form you fucking lying shitrag.
>>
>>61814950
This.
>>
>>61814969
Jews can be atheist. You do know that Jew is a race? Because if you lack this much comprehension of the world then you need to gas your worthless genes out of existence.
>>
>>61815004
Nobody gives a wet fuck who is a jew and who isn't. Take your shit back to /pol/.
>>
>>61814984
no it's not dude, just because you don't like something doesn't make it automatically communism. Last (you) from me, so this thread can back to friendly discussion of GNU/Linux.

>>61814979
>proprietary software
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>61815004
>Jews can be atheist. You do know that Jew is a race?
If jews is a race, then why are there ashkenazi/german jews, ethiopian jews (aka nigger jews), iberian jews, slavic jews, semitic/arab jews?

>Because if you lack this much comprehension of the world then you need to gas your worthless genes out of existence.
Literally nobody gives a fuck who's jewish or not. Go back to /pol/
>>
>>61814527
pls halp
>>
File: daily-struggle.png (541KB, 600x908px) Image search: [Google]
daily-struggle.png
541KB, 600x908px
>>61815004
>antisemitism and anti-zionism isn't racism
>jews are a race
>>
>>61814979
Fucking rekt
>>61815023
1st he says
>He's an atheist (implying hes not a Jew)
Then says
>Nobody gives a fuck, waah go back to /pol/
Jew spotted
/g/ is /pol/ as fuck
>>
>>61815074
That's not the same person, I'm the one who said he was an atheist and I'm >>61815059
>>
>>61815071
Zionism is a political ideology. Antisemitism is fine. So is racism. Are you triggered yet? Maybe you need to go and vent your rage with a tweet/tumble to your liberal echochamber of choice.
>>
File: 1488557573159.jpg (95KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
1488557573159.jpg
95KB, 576x768px
>>61815074
>/g/
>/pol/
pick 1
>>
File: pol2.jpg (177KB, 940x427px) Image search: [Google]
pol2.jpg
177KB, 940x427px
>>61815107
>muh liberul echochambers
Ironic coming from the one claiming that entire 4chan is /pol/.

It's fine if you want to blame a j00 boogeyman, but keep that shit in your containment board.
>>
Even re dit is smarter than the tards who run this thread. They simply call the sub /r/Linux thereby establishing some idea of practicality and pragmatism which is what actually matters to normal people instead of going autismal over 4 missing characters.
>>
how to fix the filepicker meme in gnome?
>>
>>61815513
Install KDE.
>>
Best filemanager? Should be simple, but extentable with scripts.
>>
>>61815146
But do they have a sub for the actual OS rather than just the kernel?
>>
>>61814982

Why?
>>
>>61800895

It's original work.
>>
>>61815765
Thunar I think has scripting built in and is pretty good for people who need large thumbnails like 4chan users.

I don't know if it's just me though or if it's getting worse. It seems to crash sometimes when doing things like renaming files (it never messes up the files though, it always gets it right before crashing if that's any reassurance)
and getting it to render thumbnails properly (especially for videos) is always a pain in the ass unless it works out of the box.
>>
File: even leddit is smarter than you.png (33KB, 304x539px) Image search: [Google]
even leddit is smarter than you.png
33KB, 304x539px
>>61815146
>>
I fucking love kde
>>
Install Alpine (non-GNU)/Linux
>>
File: 1494538239966.gif (3MB, 363x278px) Image search: [Google]
1494538239966.gif
3MB, 363x278px
>>61816623
>tfw you fell for the Alpine on the desktop meme
No offense, Alpine is nice and alternatives are cool (new ideas can lead to better technology), but srsly, did you even try running Alpine as daily driver on the Desktop or are you just pretending? Because when you want to get shit done, you end up installing coreutils to get the usual features, bash so you can, well, run bash scripts and other GNU utils for convenience, speed and not feeling like a cripple.
If you guys are really out for technical superiority, stop crippling your systems (I don't even think you actually do), just because of some /pol/ trash.
>don't use X, it's jewish
>don't use Y, it's communism

Alpine is cool, busybox is cool, no need to give it a bad reputation by connecting it with crippled mindsets.

/rant
>>
>>61816804
>/rant
Hi,

Kill yourself back to re dit any time buddy.

Kind regards,

4chan
>>
I have 2 questions about video drivers:

1) Is there any way to use NVidia proprietary drivers with the Linux-libre kernel?

2) Will Vulkan performance on open source drivers be similar, if not identical, to performance on proprietary video drivers considering how simple Vulkan is supposed to be from the driver perspective?
>>
>>61816930
no u
>>
>>61817023
y-you too!
>>
>>61817158
There is literally no reason to be this upset.
>>
>>61817365
True. 4chan was never good.
>>
>>67100691
(curious)
>>
>>61817529
>>61700691
>>
Archfag here
I'm installing something that has webkitgtk2 as a dependancy, and its been compiling for like 2 hours. Why does it take so long? It's not a very large program.
>>
>>61817569
>Arch
pretty cool, wished I were smart enough to install it myself
>>
>>61817385
>complaining about 4chan
feel free to leave
>>
How do I make my SSH server only accept connections via the rsa keys? I've disabled PasswordAuthentication, PAM and ChallengeResponseAuthentication , is that enough?
Also, I really don't fucking understand how adding the keys works to authorized_keys works, I've created a public and private key with Puttygen on another computer, tried to add the public key with
ssh-copy-id ~/.ssh/publickey user@host

and it says it can't find "publickey.pub".
What do I even put under 'host'? Just the host name I chose during installation?
>>
I'm trying to clear up some confusion about software licensing. Does the no commercial clause in a license means that nobody can sell it for money or does it mean that I'm the only one allowed to sell it for money?
>>
>>61817713
It means: the BSD lawyers are ready for your next attempt
>>
>>61817713
The copyright hold can always do what he wants with the software he has written. So when YOU release a product, whatever license you choose, you are always free to do whatever you want. Others, who get your product licensed by your chosen license have to follow the licence rules.
>>
>>61817748
What are you talking about?
>>
>>61817754
so when I want to turn my program into proprietary software, I'm allowed to, even if its GPL licensed?
>>
>>61817801
Yes; you're the copyright holder. You can do what you want. When you release something under the GPL, it means that others aren't allowed to make it non-free, but, the developer can do what you want with your stuff.
However, you can't force people not to share software which you already released under the GPL.
>>
>>61817754
With GPL, is someone allowed to sell a copy of someone elses software they didn't work on?
>>
>>61817648
I came for the friendly gnu linux discussion.
I stayed for the brainless fucking gpl/stallman haters.
>>
>>61817838
>>61817801

check gnu.org, there's a faq with all such questions answered
>>
>>61817865
Alright, I want to get into free licensing, but my one concern is that I work really hard at something to make it good and some parasite tries to make a quick buck off something that isn't his and even tries to claim they made it.
>>
>>61817874
then stay away from permissive licenses which allow making software proprietary

afaik there are some open source licenses which require to mention the author, search for them if you really need that
>>
>>61817982
i.e. cuck licenses like bsd :^)
>>
File: 1487613672417.png (42KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
1487613672417.png
42KB, 395x395px
Why is Debian such a huge piece of shit?

$ sudo apt install youtube-dl
Get:18 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main youtube-dl all 2014.08.05-1+deb8u1 [323 kB]
Fetched 3,444 kB in 4s (710 kB/s)

and then...
$ youtube-dl --version

LOL! What the fuck man?

Downloading manually (curl/wget) doesn't work because there's a shitton of dependencies that it needs.

How do I install a fresh youtube-dl on Debian???
>>
File: 1491822199354.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1491822199354.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>61818028
>cuck licenses like bsd
it's the other way around.... GCC is literal cuck software under a cuck license.

Watch Google engineer bitchslap RMS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwaK-s9QRI
>>
What's a nice distro for my use stick? Looking for something small, which just works and preferable freedom respecting. I want to use it as rescue OS for just in case.
>>
Why the fuck do people like to shill for OpenRC garbage? Runit is miles better than OpenRC but people still decide to use this "OpenRC" meme.
>>
>>61817982
>>61818028
>>61818113
What licenses require mentioning of the maker?
>>
>>61818113
And how is that cuckoldry? The hell are you on about
>>
File: a.jpg (430KB, 740x1023px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
430KB, 740x1023px
>>61801799
i use calf for that
>>
>>61818113
Not sure if you got the news: Being a cuckold means loosing control, being a slave and watching how someone else ramming his dick into something you love. Thats what proprietary software is about. Free software exists to prevent cuckoldry.
>>
>>61818157
BSD-old
>>
>>61818089
>jessie
what the fuck dude?
Why aren't you even running Debian 8 let alone using testing?

got 2017.05.18.1 here

or is this another
>stable is old meme
>>
>>61818192
>Why aren't you even running Debian 8 let alone using testing?
Because I'm running it on RasPi.. Raspbian to be exact.
>>
>>61818178
Any others? Doesn't the MIT license require attribution?
>>
>>61818218
how is this Debians fault for your shitty hardware and unupdated distro managed by NOT THE DEBIAN TEAM?

what shitpi do you have, it can more than likely run arch and or minimal debian/debian flavor specifically for pis that aren't raspian
>>
File: 1478186800132.jpg (48KB, 700x690px) Image search: [Google]
1478186800132.jpg
48KB, 700x690px
>can't have a thread without someone sperging "cuck kike jew toejam gas race communist" crap
>>
File: 1471820928162.png (53KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
1471820928162.png
53KB, 200x300px
>>61818335
>blames RasPi
typical gnutard shill. what a piece of shit Debian is... holy fuck.
follow your leader.
>>
>>61818355
Just don't reply.
>>
>>61818355
Thanks for being that person.
>>
>>61818355
>baby gets easily triggered
fuck off back to tumblr/plebbit/fb or whatever your safe space is.
>>
>>61818370
>>61818385
Don't cut yourself on that edge.
>>
>>61818321
Every license requires attribution (in form of copyright preservation), but for explicit attribution you will want the 4-clause BSD.
>>
>>61818355
>Can't have a thread without some retard reminding you it's Gannooooo Lanooouuxx
You really aren't as different as you think
>>
There's like 4 versions of the BSD license now. They keep modifying it so they can use gpl stuff and have a complete, usable OS.
>>
anyone got suggestions for a good hex editor? I'm using dhex at the moment but I'd like to change
>>
>>61818089
Get it from pip
>>
>>61819900
Thanks anon. That actually worked. Had to manually install pip and then pip install of YT-dl worked.
>>
manjaro or antergos?
>>
>>61821029
vanilla arch
why would you wanna use a shitty fork?
>>
>>61801498
>When it comes to long term support, should I get 16.04 of Ubuntu or 17.04? My main concern is stability.

Always choose the LTS version.
Especially if you want stability.
>>
>>61821077
I'm a normie but I wan use the AUR
>>
>>61818089
The version in your repo only updates via your package manager.
apt remove youtube-dl , then
Go to github youtube-dl and scroll down to the install instructions. It's simply a matter of wget or curl the script and chmod it executable, That way you can youtube-dl -U to update.
If you get an youtube-dl error after that, it's probably dash looking for youtube-dl in the wrong place in your $PATH. I'm guessing it's how the repo version knows youtube-dl -U isn't supposed to work. Just hash -r to clear the hash table.
>>
>>61821959
>Go to github youtube-dl and scroll down to the install instructions. It's simply a matter of wget or curl the script and chmod it executable, That way you can youtube-dl -U to update.
I tried that. it failed miserably because it was missing all kinds of dependencies. I ended up using pip as the anon above suggested.
>>
>>61821959
If you run just about any youtube-dl command then do "type youtube-dl', you'll see it's hashed.
>>
anyone here use dwm? do you use dwmstatus or a script for your bar?
>>
Recommend me an underrated window manager.
>>
>>61801458
I use the full babby GNOME Shell experience but on Arch. The AUR and up to date packages are king.
>>
>>61801751
I don't use Wayland at all on GNOME because the lack of proper screen grabbing makes alt-tab, etc. not work in full screen remote sessions. Xorg does not have this problem.
>>
>>61811044
You probably didn't configure TLP to actually do anything.
>>
>>61821029
debian
>>
Can I use the KDE filepicker without installing KDE?

Also how does it work anyway? I thought GTK was GTK. How does what desktop environment someone is using effect the library and calls Firefox (a GTK application) makes?

Is it just hardcoded into Firefox to use the KDE filepicker if and only if you're running KDE or something?
>>
File: 1486965020749.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486965020749.png
27KB, 602x500px
Install Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>61823012
AFAIK there are patches for GTK which enable thumbnail preview.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk
>>
>>61823012
it's your package maintainers fault.
if you have AUR you can compile firefox with kde flags or just look up firefox kde on aur.
>>
is it true that arch only has about 12 official packages and people install all their software from insecure user-maintained repos?
>>
>>61824362
there's 15,458 packages in the official repos
>>
Why doesn't everything just use FLTK as the preferred GUI toolkit on GNU/Linux?
It's probably the best we have out there. All others seem like they're just trying too hard to look "modern" and none of them are truly as cross platform as they say, and are relatively bloated:
http://blog.johnnovak.net/2016/05/29/cross-platform-gui-trainwreck-2016-edition/
>>
>>61824092
Why did nobody came along to fix the filepicker in all the years???
>>
>>61824590
Nobody cares.
>>
>>61824590
Someone did, but it was too late for GTK2 and too early for GTK3. The patches for GTK2 are however still available, check pasta in OP.
>>
comfiest DE?
>>
What's a good program to set up DE independent hotkeys.
>>
i just installed debian 9 on my t43, im using xfce but after i login nothing shows up, just the background and the mouse is able to move, ive waited ~20 minutes and nothing happens
>>
>>61824786
i3
>>61824844
Why would you want to do that?
>>
>>61824786
The one I'm using.
>>61824844
xbindkeys
>>61824975
i3 is a WM
>>
Is it possible to replace Unity in Ubuntu wit ha different DE, or should I install Arch over/alongside Ubuntu? Or would it just be easier to wait for whatever Ubuntu distro is getting rid of Unity?
>>
>>61824975
>meme3
why is everyone installing i3
there are so many other nice wms
>>
Anyone used GalliumOS? Heard it's pretty good for putting on Chromebooks
>>
>>61825029
Probably because when it was gaining popularity just about every tiling window manager aficionado anywhere who gave i3 a try said it was basically "exactly what a tiling window manager should be", and some only said they would stay with their old one for certain specific customization abilities
>>
>>61825029
Such as?
>>
>>61825109
bspwm, herbstluftwm, awesomewm, dwm, xmonad, ratpoison, ...
>>
My microphone is not working on Fedora. How do I go about troubleshooting this?
>>
>>61825150
Thanks anon

Any you'd recommend in particular?
>>
>>61825150
bspwm is neat.
>>
You guys think one day systemd might come with its own GUI toolkit built in?
>>
>>61825153
install pavucontrol and check it in there
>>
>>61825173
guid, kerneld, coreutild
>>
>>61825173
That would be cool.
>>
>>61825180
Hopefully the filepicker is better than GTK3's
>>
>>61825195
It will be apart from when it breaks 50% of the time
>>
>>61825195
>tagged "not-a-bug"
>conversation locked
>>
>>61825274
>t. lennart poettering
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for machines that have good support for GNU/Linux, available for purchase via bitcoin and are less than $650 USD (in BTC)?
>>
>>61825274
>>61825297
well what else would you do when trolling your project on github is an internet meme
>>
>>61825304
Try some of these:
https://minifree.org/
https://tehnoetic.com/
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/
http://www.libiquity.com/
https://vikings.net/
>>
>>61825341
thank you!
>>
>>61825316
I would begin by understanding how core functions I'm re-implementing/replacing actually works.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
>>
>tfw have 1700 on order
>'performance marginalities'
I'm gun be proper mad if I get any of those segfaults.
>>
best rolling distro which isnt difficult to install?
>>
What are the best use of OpenBSD or FreeBSD on a VPS?
>>
>>61825341
think penguin looks like a winner - thanks again, friend!
>>
>>61825523
You're welcome.
>>
File: h5Hha.jpg (124KB, 1920x378px) Image search: [Google]
h5Hha.jpg
124KB, 1920x378px
My Ubuntu boot gets stuck on pic related. I don't trust the way I did the dual boot so I wanted to start fresh. So,

What's the best way to completely wipe a drive to start fresh with a new install? I don't want any trace of my precious dual boots or grub configurations. Should I flash gparted on a USB and wipe everything I see?
>>
File: 1473612792934.png (59KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473612792934.png
59KB, 1200x800px
explain this
>>
>>61825722
That is a chart of the amount of 'bad' word against linux kernel version. As you can see by the graph, the amount of mentions of the word 'crap' has surpassed the amount of 'shit'. Since version 3.0 the ratios have overall stayed the same. What i would like to know is why is there a spike in the change from 2.x to 3.x.
>>
File: 1486669422670.png (40KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486669422670.png
40KB, 1200x800px
>>61825832
>What i would like to know is why is there a spike in the change from 2.x to 3.x.
>>
thx for your help guys
I made a new thread for you
>>61825898
>>61825898
>>61825898
>>
>>61825910
A bit early (bump limit is 310), but you're welcome.
>>
>>61825861
Will linux ever be able to regress in LoC or is it stuck getting perpetually less efficient as time goes on?
>>
>>61825861
why so much bloat in 3.0?
>>
>>61825861
I mean the spike of the ratio of the word 'shit' to every other. It spiked a lot more than the others in comparison.
>>
>>61825959
Massive increase in drivers between 2.6.0 and 3.0
>>
>>61825722
piss is all me
>>
>>61809399
Same guy again, got new laptop. Tried for hours to install Linux Debian on my (((hp envy 13))) and utterly failed. Kept getting errors with Windows Safe Boot and just gave up after 3 hours. Never again, what a shame 'cuz I was really interested.
>>
>>61826281
install ubunut
>>
>>61826307
Is it better than Debian?
>>
>>61826079
Thank you.
>>
>>61826322
Easiest loonix.
>>
Has anyone else had to
modprobe -r ath9k
modprobe ath9k ps_enable=1

to activate power saving mode in network card driver ath9k? Or is this some rare thing?
>>
>>61825959
>>61825861
the graph doesn't demonstrate linear time
2.6.0 = 2003
3.0.3 = 2011
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.