[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College or Nah

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: processors-t2.jpg (89KB, 510x330px) Image search: [Google]
processors-t2.jpg
89KB, 510x330px
Hey /g/, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am graduating this month with a degree in process operations. This 'qualifies' me to run billion dollar chemical plant processes like crude oil distillation, polyethylene manufacture etc.

I spent about 4 months working in the industry as an intern at a company that starts with D and rhymes with wow. I quickly grew to despise the company and the industry as a whole and GTFO ASAP

As of late I have been building gaming PC's and mining rigs for profit and doing shit on the side like Windows 7 downgrades for old people who cant figure out Win 10.

Right now I am basically one step below a script kiddy, I don't have to memorize how to do anything because I always have the internet handy.

The question:

What is the most lucrative field of technology to study? Do I need a 4-year degree to make life happen? Are there fields I could study that would be more geared toward freelance and less toward major cooperation? What is a day in the life like for various fields? I want to be absolutely certain of my decision before I incur a mountain of debt and completely disregard the degree that I will have in a few weeks.

TL;DR:
How do I in computer college?
>>
>>61782420
Do CS50X. that's step one. By the end you'll build a functional, viable web app. You can use that app to demonstrate your abilities in an interview.

I'm self taught and have been working as a web developer for six months. Getting the first job will be the hardest part.
>>
>>61782420
>ltl ftp
>reddit formatting
>tl;dr
You need to go back.
>>
>>61783585
>Tfw i dont even lurk on Reddit

Thanks for the advice tho senpai. Maybe I'll check it out.
>>
>>61782420
Some variety of electrical or computer engineering as far as being a sure deal. You absolutely need a degree for it.
While software engineering and CS is overinflated right now, engineering always has and always will be relevant, so there will always be well paying jobs available.
Source: I have a double major in EE/ECE. Had job offers coming out of college upwards of $50k.
>>
>>61782420

If you want to be a programmer none of that shit you just described is even remotely relevant
>>
>>61783711
What about network security or sys admin?

According to my extensive Google research, it seems to pay well. Any insight into the saturation of the field or geographical locations in which one might find gainful employment?
>>
>>61782420
There are a plethora of fields to go into in the world of computers...the most popular ones being cybersecurity (look into pen-testing, networking, Security+, etc.), app programming (do a boot camp in Python or mobile dev), game development (learn Unity or Unreal engine [fun as fuck actually]), VR/AR development, or even server or administrative work (not my cup of tea, kinda boring). Really depends on what niche seems the most interesting to you, these are just a few in the endless ocean of tech as well as some vague suggestions to get you started.

None are impossible to learn or master in a shorter amount of time than a 4-year college.
Best of luck!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.