[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We live in very interesting times. Never before in the history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

We live in very interesting times. Never before in the history of humanity has pic related been possible.
If Moore's law continues, in less than 100 years we will see the creation of at least one machine as intelligent as a human being. After that the definition of of man and machine will change forever. Humanity will change forever.

How does that make you feel?
>>
>>61759589
Makes me feel unemployed.
>>
File: f10af6198585e1c737a688ab2b29ff3a.jpg (626KB, 821x1200px) Image search: [Google]
f10af6198585e1c737a688ab2b29ff3a.jpg
626KB, 821x1200px
indifferent
>>
Why does simulating the stochastic behavior of one molecule take that much computational power?
>>
>>61759589
>If Moore's law continues,
It won't.
/bread
>>
>>61759651
the single molecules in the whole brain.
>>
>>61759652
>implying it won't get faster due to quantum computers
>>
>>61759589
Moores law has been slowing down for the past 15 years or so. They keep changing the ratio so that it matches the trend, but it doesn't excuse the fact that the laws of physics mean that transistor sizes are finite and you can't just keep making things smaller to get greater compute performance.
>>
>>61759910
Quantum computers don't make all computation exponentially faster. They only make certain operations faster in certain cases, and that doesn't account for any huge factor tradeoffs that wll happen if you're dealing with systems that have to convert a digital problem to a set of analog signals.
>>
>>61759589
I hope so, we need the advances to come quickly before global warming kills everyone and everything, AI might be the best chance at continued existence.
>>
File: Renge34.jpg (61KB, 1024x669px) Image search: [Google]
Renge34.jpg
61KB, 1024x669px
>>61759910
Not how quantum computing OR Moore's law works, summer fag. If (and I use a big IF there) quantum computing takes off in the general purpose computing world, Moore's law would have failed by definition.

The truth of the matter is that we simply cannot fit anymore transistors on a single die. We'd have to break the laws of solid state physics and make transistors out of silicon that are resistant to quantum tunneling. Even if we magically fix that problem, we'll soon run into the issue where transistors must be the size of fractions of atoms to fit on a die-- and that's never going to happen.

The near future is in software and parallelization.

Regardless, general purpose quantum computers may take a long time to happen-- or may not ever be possible. Only time will tell.
>>
>>61759910
Quantum computers literally only excel at brute force applications.
>>
>>61759589
It's interesting, really is. For me it's something so increadible that I almost don't want to kill myself just to wait for this to happen.
>>
>>61759589
I can't wait 'til Ray Kurweil dies so I can stop having to listen to his bullshit.
>>
>>61760581
The only way he is immortal is if making humans have to suffer his retarded views forever is considered "living on".

Futurists need to die. Fortunately they, like all other humans, have to.
>>
>>61760581
>>61760774
Singularity is real. Deal with it.
>>
>>61760907
You will cease to exist before 2100. Deal with it.
>>
>>61760907
Also pro tip: scanning your brain doesn't save you from death.

Picture the scene: you have made a perfect copy of yourself and put it in a robot. You look in horror as your doppleganger gets up off the table and strangles you to death. You have not saved yourself. You realize in your final moment that the thing you wanted to preserve was your physical brain all along.
>>
>>61761525
Another pro tip: your brain begins to deteriorate in your mid 20s (You) and there is nothing you can do to stop it. I hope you enjoyed your peak and won't feel like you wasted it later on.
>>
File: fVmPX6d.gif (887KB, 640x511px) Image search: [Google]
fVmPX6d.gif
887KB, 640x511px
>>61761525
From the moment the copy of you starts to create entropy, it's no longer a 1:1 copy of you because 1) stochastic and other random processes affect the matter of which an entity if built, and 2) because the entities don't occupy the same space, there will be a light difference in the external forces that affect the individuals, which in turn affects the chemistry of the entities in non-identical ways. As the arrow of time moves forward these differences accumulate and also accelerate, making the two entities more and more heterogeneous.
>>
>>61761710
The Romans used to spend on average 1,5 to 3 hours eating the main meal of the day. They would lie on chaise lounges (klinai) and feast upon anything that was considered rare or luxury foods. They would frequently go out and vomit when full, so they could go back and have another fill. They did this because the life span at the time was so low, that they never knew when death would come. It was from them we got the aying "carpe diem" - seize the day.

I have adopted this life style to a large degree, sans the vomiting. I'm gonna suckle as much pleasure from the world as I can before I hit the bucket. Today my plan is to shitpost some more, then take a long shower before getting some food delivered to my door step.
>>
>>61759589
Linear area scaling has a finite lifespan, matter isn't ever going to get any smaller. Even 3D packaging will end at a point when increasing Z height becomes impractical.
Moore's Law is not a metric for tracking performance. Stop implying that it is.

>>61759910
This post is so wildly stupid I don't know what to say other than I'm disgusted by the entirety of this board for not seeing whats wrong with it.

>>61761797
>. They would frequently go out and vomit when full,
This is entirely a myth and you should feel like a retard for repeating it.
>>
>>61759589
>If Moore's law continues, in less than 100 years we will see the creation of at least one machine as intelligent as a human being.
>Speed is the only thing preventing us from human intelligence level AI

lol, no.
>>
>>61761847
>This is entirely a myth and you should feel like a retard for repeating it

Thanks for correcting me. I looked it up and you're correct. I got it from a guide in Pompeii, but I should have known it bullshit as she spouted a lot of bullshit that turned out to be wrong.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.