[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a purpose for this form factor nowadays? Obviously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: DF_TxveVYAA9h3O.jpg (183KB, 899x1199px) Image search: [Google]
DF_TxveVYAA9h3O.jpg
183KB, 899x1199px
Is there a purpose for this form factor nowadays?

Obviously a decade ago it made sense when you wanted computing power and didn't want a huge machine, but seeing as what a phone / tablet can do (especially if you have external peripherals) and how small / light laptops are, is there a need for this?

Is the GPD pocket / Vaio P nostalgia just people wanting to ironic retro devices or is this an actual space that needs filling
>>
What's that netbook with the clitoris mouse between the spacebar?
>>
>>61755196
gpd pocket, the newest and most boring
>>
>>61754865
Nah it just harkens back to an era where you thought mobile computers would be mobile computers instead of the shit we got with smartphones.
>>
If I want something light to carry with me and type on, my Aspire One with a light distro still does the job just fine and has hella long battery life. I don't want to use my phone for this stuff, and a tablet is a pain in the ass to do real writing on.
>>
>>61754865
Not really. With the occasional /g/-ish exception, people who need a proper keyboard want a trackpad, and people who need small and portable above all else have a use case where a touchscreen is more comfortable to use than a keyboard.
>>
Something with a vaio p sized keyboard but with some kind of foldable / otherwise compact 12" screen would be nice.
>>
>>61754865
nope, UMPCs are a dead meme

anything you "need" a real keyboard for, for any length of time, you are not going to want to use anything smaller than a x220, maybe a netbook if you just need to bang out a few lines of text / SSH or whatever, but if that's all your doing you might as well use a phone, maybe with a bluetooth keyboard.
>>
>>61756861
>you are not going to want to use anything smaller than a x220

This kind of autism just makes me chuckle.

"No, what's working well for you is wrong! This is what you like!"

No, no I don't.
>>
>>61757168
Well is an x220 too big for you to carry around?
>>
>>61757588
It's too big to fit in my pocket.
>>
>>61754865
I personally use a cheap tablet with one of those chinkshit leather cases that has a keyboard on the inside, and I like it a lot.

The keyboard is kinda shitty, but way better than typing on the screen.

I didn't see the point of this kinda stuff before when I was a neet, but nowadays I have very little time to spend sitting in front of my desktop.

It's good for typing, reading stuff, watching netflix and playing a few games.

The point of it to me is having a portable, lightweight device, with a nice battery life, that I'm able to take anywhere without making my bag any heavier.

I wish I could install real Linux on it, but then I would lose access to a few android apps that I use a lot.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.