[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 47

File: 1373319780644.png (867KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1373319780644.png
867KB, 1920x1200px
Previously on: >>61733062

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. Please use other boards to discuss ideology, /g/ is Technology ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <something>

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
http://explainshell.com/
>>
first for alpine busybox musl clang
fuck stallkike and gnushits
>>
File: linux mint redpill.png (38KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
linux mint redpill.png
38KB, 660x734px
>>61753436
>>
FAKE THREAD!
REPORT! && HIDE!
>>
Im giving exactly 4 replies before whole thread turns out to dumb war about naming it gnoo linux instead of linux, but good work op and i appreciate your effort!
>>
>>61753504
Thanks man, lets do our best to ignore the GNUshits and just get on with the Linux discussion as before.
>>61753500
Nice try autist, not fooling anyone.
>>
>>61753426
if we are being screamed at to call it clunky names at every turn
if term open source gets you stoned by fanatics
and this preaching about how essential gnu was
i really believed it when I was new
as it turned out, what they did was copy unix utilities
there was no deep thinking about what to do, just copy basic stuff

sure compiler and glibc are nice, or gpl license
but if people believe that there would be only propietary compilers with rms
or that copy left license would not come... and linux had alternative to glibc for a decade before seeing duplication in effort...

but this is my biggest issue, lets all get bullied in to naming things someone wants because of the past
they are nothing now and as I said, gnu will wither and die with rms
his personality prevented another persona to help the movement
>>
>>61753518
>Linux discussion
Still waiting for the moment when people actually start discussing Linux ITT.
>>
Install 4chanx(firefox's and chrome's)
https://github.com/ccd0/4chan-x

Post these in the Comment section.Free of the bad g word!!!

/GNU\/Linux/i;boards:g
/GNU+Linux/i;boards:g
/gnu/i;boards:g
/fglt/i;boards:g

Post these in the Subject section
/fglt/
/Friendly Gnu\/Linux Thread/
/Friendly Gnu+Linux Thread/
>>
>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds
>>
>>61753559
>censoring yourself
reddit would be a better place for you
>>
>>61753527
>his personality prevented another persona to help the movement
Damn, this so goddamn hard. What a piece of shit that kike is. So dislikable. He's like the fucking Assange of Linux, someone who has some good ideas but is a total piece of crap who you just cannot stand to look at. Even worse than Assange really but that's the only recent example that came to mind. Only absolute trash can rally around a turd like that.
>>
>>61753582
Why have text im not going to read anyhow take up my screen space and distract from post im going to read?

Its like reading the sports section when you have no interest in sports
>>
>>61753556
We're not stopping anyone from discussing it, that's exactly what we're about you spaz.
>>
File: 1476739906000.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476739906000.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>61753576
>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>>
>>61753620
No, the ironic thing is we're not *even* here to discuss the personality of Linus. I couldn't give a shit about him, though I certainly don't dislike the man, quite the contrary, he at least has some charisma that the fat turd is hugely lacking. We're here for the tech. If you want drama, then go to /v/ or /a/ or better yet /pol/.
>>
>>61753436
When im Compiling LINUX.
Some options do not persist from saving them in ncurses as well as manually setting it in the .config.Countless times ive rebooted and said modules are not avalible, despite embedding them(not module).
What the hell
>>
>>61753643
>We're here for the tech
You mean the tech that mostly wouldn't even exist if not for people of this world with enough balls to fight back against companies that want to remove all your "tech" for user friendly mass marketable crap that "just works"?

Enjoy feeling superior and "above the question of ethics" while it lasts faggot. If it weren't for GNU you'd still be clicking 20 GUI buttons on MSWin and downloading untrusted 3rd party software to do shit that you can do now in 2 seconds.
>>
File: 1399923693290.jpg (29KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1399923693290.jpg
29KB, 240x320px
I installed Gentoo yesterday. It was actually really easy and the real installation time was probably under 45 minutes including compiling necessary software. However, the process took me several hours because the Gentoo Handbook is a miserable guide. Not friendly! A succinct set of instructions would totally trivialize it.
>>
>>61753738
/thread
>>
>>61753738
Linus would have used one of many userlands avalible at the time. Gnu isnt something special, its just another userland, and if it didnt excist Linus would have choose another one(which he was going to do initially but the one he was porting was missing some features at the time, so he went with gnu). We would be using BSD pr plan9 or solaris or various other projects that would have gotten the attention sans gnu existing.

I know you're suffering from cognitive dissonance right now, but its going to be ok. Write an email to mr stallkike about the meanine mans on the interwebs.
>>
>>61753820
Under 45 minutes? How the fuck? What sort of hardware do you have?
>>
>>61753820
Try alpine, it's installer is very up front and easily accessible.
>>
>>61753835
There weren't any available at this time exept GNU. Without RMS annoying BSD people, maybe even BSD would be still be proprietary.
You have literally no idea about the history of the system you're using. It's not a single man project. It's not just the kernel "Linux". We are are large community and our roots are idealism of free software. If you don't want a future with the year of the "Linux Desktop", which may be just another spyware os like Android, keep going.
>>
>>61753897
are you drunk?
>>
>>61753738
Learn history you idiot meme spouter.
>>
>>61753844
7700HQ, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro

>>61753848
gentoo is working fine, I was just surprised at how simple the installation process actually is compared to its reputation
>>
>>61753897
your community is obsolete, linux has arrived a state where its rolling the internet, phones and soon the desktop and companies don't give a shit about your roots and its good that way
technical superiority > idealism
>>
>>61753897
>There weren't any available at this time exept GNU
That's got nothing to do with ethics. Either you are trying to revise history to push your agenda or you are to stupid to research your claims. The reason he chose the gnu stuff rather than the berkely stuff was because ATT was suing berkely for ownership (ATT lost btw). Which is also why linux got popular.
>>
>>61753835
Your logic is 100% history based.

That's not a good way to conduct rational thought. The mere fact that something "could have" been another way doesn't change what something is today.

The facts are that everything about the operating system you know and love today would be MUCH more identical if it was the kernel which was replaced rather than if the userland was replaced and the kernel kept the same.

>lol no because look at Hurd which has been in development forever and still sucks
Linux owes a MASSIVE amount of gratitude and credit for the success of his kernel to other developers. The reason other kernels don't catch up to Linux is because the train has already left the station. Back when it was a novelty everyone was eager to help and contribute. It's very difficult to build that kind of backing today.

and if GNU ever becomes obsolete one day it's because of how much everyone cares about their userland.
Nobody wants to build a new kernel because funnily enough, people actually don't give 2 shits about the kernel. You don't see anyone here arguing over issues and internal conflicts happening with the kernel developers do you?
All anyone cares about is their usersland.

TL;DR whether you realize it or not anon, "Linux" to you (and to all of us) IS the userspace which actually has nothing at all to do with Linux the kernel.
>>
File: 1479857336173.jpg (31KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1479857336173.jpg
31KB, 580x346px
>>61753989
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>61753989
Yup. And companies have learn't that unless you can reallocate and couple hundred engineers to a project, playing nice with open source is to their benifit because it allows them to offload development and maintanance effort. It's like the prisoner's dilemma vs the iterated prisoner's dilemma.
>>
>>61753962
see >>61754010
>>
File: a.jpg (26KB, 590x366px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
26KB, 590x366px
Hey /g/ I am trying to install bumblebee status and when I git clone the source and try to run the command "make" there is no make file. Please run me how to install when there is no make file already there. Thanks https://github.com/tobi-wan-kenobi/bumblebee-status
>>
>>61754010
>makes a historical argument
>get's called out on it
>hurr durr, history is not a good basis for rational thought.
>>
>>61754040
https://github.com/tobi-wan-kenobi/bumblebee-status/wiki
>>
Over 3 threads and no one gave me the answer, this general thread is showing its uselessness atm, if you could answer, then go ahead.
>>61752765
>>
>>61754010
>"Linux" to you (and to all of us) IS the userspace
How can you possible claim to know anything about rational thought when you just redefine all your terms?

>The facts are that everything about the operating system you know and love today would be MUCH more identical if it was the kernel which was replaced rather than if the userland was replaced and the kernel kept the same.
Even if true (with what, MINX, hurd? I doubt they would support the same userspace we have today) what is your point? The gnu userspace is mostly posix, like leterally replaceable.

>Linux owes a MASSIVE amount of gratitude and credit for the success of his kernel to other developers.
Do you mean "Linus" and that he didn't develop linux as is all by himself? No shit, no-one has claimed he did. These days he mostly just does merges.

>You don't see anyone here arguing over issues and internal conflicts happening with the kernel developers do you?
Stuppid babby. Really? What about the whole reorginazation when they realized Linus was a SPOF. What about greg getting shutdown for trying to push freedesktop shit? What about the fuss over urandom and the bsds arguing with the linux devs?

> TL;DR I'm here to vocally project my ignorance on everyone.
>>
File: 1493155907104.png (149KB, 759x367px) Image search: [Google]
1493155907104.png
149KB, 759x367px
You guys are fucking retards
>>
>>61754111
>https://github.com/tobi-wan-kenobi/bumblebee-status/wiki
all it tells you is how to clone it, I usually just "make" and "make install"
>>
>>61754135
Please read the post i linked you
Ease of use: No configuration files, etc. Simply clone and put into your i3 configuration and you are good to go (hopefully...)
>>
>>61754154
fuck sorry, I read over that. good looks anon
>>
>>61754156
>>>/g/fglt
>>
>>61754156
>No technical archivements matter when they just exist for the sole purpose to bait some money in exchange for convenience.
STRAWMAN
>>
>>61754129
This is the mark of ideological activism.
Don't let them fool you, they're worse than GNU fanboys
>>
TRIED installing tweak tool
can't move anything now, windows not resizeable, cannot alt-tab
PLS help
>>
>>61754285
install Alpine Linux
>>
>>61754250
>they're
It is just one anti-semetic autist.
>>
File: 5148.png (3KB, 642x400px) Image search: [Google]
5148.png
3KB, 642x400px
I want to rice but I don't want to put in the work -- what should I do?
>>
>>61754285
NVM I FIXED IT USING
XFWM4 --REPLACE sure what im doing but it worked

not really
>>
File: 13.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
So like..
What's stopping me from continuing to spam interjections in /flt/ threads?

You're not changing anything except:
1) Actively being the cause of a split in the community over an ideological position
2) Making a loud point to the world that there are users on /g/ who want to distance themselves from GNU
So what's your end game? Does it just make you feel good inside that you're "winning" by striking GNU from the title? Hmmm, you sure you're not activists?

The RIGHT way to have your little internet battle here is to remember that this is fucking 4chan, we aren't a hivemind social media site that must all take sides on shit as a community.
As far as I'm concerned go ahead and make /flt/ threads when /fglt/ threads die. In such cases then anyone creating a second /fglt/ thread will be the faggot.

We aren't 1 voice here. Go ahead and wage war over the title if it floats your boat, but we don't need to constantly have 2 separate threads. Mods should treat /fglt/ and /flt/ as a single entity and just delete any duplicates.
>>
>>61754374
Install Alpine and i3, copy a config from some fellow anon ITT.
>>
>>61754402
>implying anyone in this thread actually runs alpine on the desktop
when will this meme die?
>>
>>61754402
Thank you :3
I'm just too depressed to do anything except sit here on 4chan and press f5.
What I really want to do is get a vertically oriented polybar but I have a feeling I won't find a way to rotate text 90 degrees.
I know I can do it vertically but I forgot the command -- fold, I think that's it.
>>
>>61754374
cloveros
>>
>>61754422
now you've done it, someone is starting up their VM right this moment to prove you wrong
>>
>>61754399
The fact that anti-gnu extremism is bad and the threadspam today isn't going to achieve anything useful doesn't excuse you deplorable lack of empathy.
Being diagnosed with autism doesn't excuse you from actually trying to be a decent human being.
>>
why are there 4 flt threads?
also which is the right one?
I'm confused
>>
>>61754399
fuck off retarded butthurt stallman shitposter nobody needs gnu
>>
>>61754461
All I really give a shit about is that the mods are going to weigh in at some point to force a single thread.
In fact that's probably why a lot of people are fighting right now.

So all I'm saying is there are 2 ways to handle this. Either the mods should stay out of it and let people make as many GNU/Linux, Linux, SystemD/Linux, MyFavoriteDistroEdition/Linux, threads that we feel like
OR
They shouldn't distinguish between /fglt/ and /flt/ at all, and if they want to enforce a single thread should just delete whichever one was made at a later date.
>>
>>61754489
Please go back to the frontpage, check the sticky and ask yourself who should fuck off.
>>
>>61754501
No you didn't you idiot. You said:
>What's stopping me from continuing to spam interjections in /flt/ threads
Clearly outing yourself as a shitposter.
>>
>>61754487
>also which is the right one?
The one that's friendly
>>
>>61754487
This is the official thread, using our founding fathers op img.The rest were created by a gnutard to haplessly spam new thread when the old threads were still below autosage
>>
This is a good thread
>>
>>61754533
i wouldnt be that proud of a linux mint moe pic tbqh
distro is pretty much the worst available currently
>>
>>61754556
PAY RESPECT TO YOUR ELDERS.
(yes i know but its a statement)
>>
>>61754556
Whats wrong with Mint?
>>
>>61754515
>Clearly outing yourself as a shitposter.
To make a point that this isn't accomplishing shit.
I don't make interjection posts, if that knowledge makes you feel any better. It shouldn't because my point is a general one

If you'd calm down a bit you'd realize that my posts are neutral. I'm not in favor of /fglt/ OR /flt/.
I'm just annoyed at the fact that everyone is split across multiple threads now for ideological reasons and caused by a bunch of people who are claiming to be the indifferent party

It's laughable. Like I said I'm not taking sides but I can't help but notice that the GNUtards haven't created a major division in the past, and even now only have 1 thread while /flt/ has 4.
>>
>>61754533
This! Finally someone is taking a stand, thank you.
>>
File: 1499977783770.jpg (8KB, 236x277px) Image search: [Google]
1499977783770.jpg
8KB, 236x277px
>the earth is flat
>everyone knows the earth is flat
>flat earth thread!
>>
>>61754639
GNU/earth*
>>
Trying to manage my raspberry pi with TigerVNC but it just won't start at all.
Running Arch with systemd gives me a message (error code 2) or some shit.

If TigerVNC is at fault, what other software can I use to control the Pi remotely?
>>
>>61754779
post logs
>>
>>61754582
>replying to yourself
that's sad
>>
>>61754779
realvnc works well for me, and it's cross platform
>>
File: 2017-08-06_33:43.png (468B, 93x28px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-06_33:43.png
468B, 93x28px
Trying out i3, I like it quite a bit, think I'm gonna stick with it.

Just one minor annoyance. Does anyone know if there's there a hackless way to make workspaces collapse to the left? Meaning, I don't want pic related to happen.
>>
>>61754881
Why would you want it to collapse if you have windows open on those desktops?

Or are you saying that's happening even when you have no windows on them?
>>
>>61754927
I don't mean I want the stuff inside the workspaces to get closed, just to have the identifying IDs fixed.

Let's say I have 6 workspaces open. If I close everything in workspace 5 and move out of it, I want 6 to get "moved" to the left and become number 5 rather than be left with workspaces 1, 2, 3, 4, 6

I get the feeling what I'm asking for is too specific for i3, though, and I'll have to go and do it myself if I really want it...
>>
>>61754967
Well the problem there is I think i3 was entirely set up around the concept that workspaces have particular pre-determined uses.

The numbers actually aren't enumerated by i3, they are literally just named "1", "2", "3", etc.. in the default config. You'll see screenshots where people have other names for them like "web" or "irc" or whatever and i3 doesn't treat them any differently.

But I don't know if what you want is built in or not, I'm just pointing out the design philosophy and why I doubt that it is. But it's probably doable through some other means anyway.
>>
>>61754806
● vncserver@:1.service - Remote desktop service (VNC)
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/vncserver@:1.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-08-03 18:55:03 UTC; 2 days ago
Process: 619 ExecStop=/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :1 (code=exited, status=2)
Process: 477 ExecStart=/usr/bin/vncserver :1 -geometry 1200x700 -alwaysshared -fg (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 290 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/vncserver -kill :1 > /dev/null 2>&1 || : (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 477 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 03 18:53:31 alarmpi systemd[1]: Starting Remote desktop service (VNC)...
Aug 03 18:53:32 alarmpi systemd[290]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user alarm by (uid=0)
Aug 03 18:54:58 alarmpi systemd[1]: Started Remote desktop service (VNC).
Aug 03 18:54:58 alarmpi systemd[477]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user alarm by (uid=0)
Aug 03 18:55:03 alarmpi systemd[619]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user alarm by (uid=0)
Aug 03 18:55:03 alarmpi systemd[1]: vncserver@:1.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=2
Aug 03 18:55:03 alarmpi systemd[1]: vncserver@:1.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 03 18:55:03 alarmpi systemd[1]: vncserver@:1.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
>>
>>61754833
Will give RealVNC a try then.
Tired of dealing with that stuff.
>>
>>61755055
only catch with realvnc is you can only run the server on up to five different machines unless you buy the licence but that shouldn't be an issue for anyone here
>>
>>61755092
>using limitware
>>>/trash/
>>
>>61755106
what? it's a legit limit, if you're using it on more than five machines you're obviously using it for commercial purposes and so should be paying for it
>>
>>61755092
Yeah, only need it to control one device, no worries.
>>
>>61755124
>vnc in to your grandparents computer to manage it
>vnc in to your mom computer to manage it
>vnc in to your dads laptop to manage it
>vnc in to your sisters/gfs laptop
>vnc in to your server
Boom
Not commercial and a legit reason for 5 instances
>>
>>61755179
and the sixth? I said more than five
>>
>>61755186
My
Server i upload my backups too
Media server
Web server
vpn
>>
>>61755179
>vnc
>server
S S H
S
H
>>
>>61755212
I totally agree and use ssh,but for anons use,he wants to use vnc so this is his options
>>
File: 20170805_220326.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170805_220326.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Getting memed as we speak. Weekend project. Feel like I already dungoofd by selecting amd64/desktop profile over straight amd64. The goal is a lean and mean system for shitposting and scripting.
Looking for any tips that I wont find in the handbook.
>>
>>61755237
Just use the amd64 and build on top of it
>>
>>61755259
Yeah thankfully switching profiles and stuff is so easy it seems. Just bummed this first emerge is taking so long. Wanna get out of this chroot and live the meme
>>
>>61755305
Did you set your make -j setting in make.conf?
>>
>>61755317
Yeah -j3 (dual core) and set a couple CFLAGS. -Wall -msse3 -mfpath=sse -core2 -O2 -pipes -fexpensive-optimizations.
>>
stop compiling with GNU gcc
use clang
>>
>>61755237
did you tell it to install like a hundred packages at once?
>>
Using a DAC to play music on le laptop but MPD sounds noticeably less loud than say, smplayer for some reason.

How can I make MPD louder?
Running Linux btw.
>>
>>61753436
ITS GAHNOO PLUS LEENOCKS
>>
>>61755547
dumb caps poster
>>
>>61755485
/emerging/ close to 200. Dungoofd.
>>
>>61755615
yes. yes you did.
>>
cant we just agree they're tightly interwoven, neither would be anywhere as well-known or successful without the other and leave it at that? who gives a shit what its called?
>>
>>61755654
Toxic gnutardss are solely at fault here with their inane antics
>>
Richard Stallman is a legend, a digital jesus, telling us the right thing to do and people hate him because the truth isn't convenient.
>>
File: 1471410707263.png (3KB, 228x56px) Image search: [Google]
1471410707263.png
3KB, 228x56px
>>61753436
>>61753454
>>61753518
>>61753556
>>61753559
>>61754186
/flt/ is an abomination. It was founded by retards. Allowing retarded people to fork /fglt/ is PURE FUCKING STUPID

It is the kind of stupid worth killing people over.

This is stupid that is worth mass murder.

This is why I support 9/11-style attacks against /flt/. I support bombs detonated in /flt/. I support
murder of /flt/ posters. I support torture of family members of /flt/ posters. I support murdering pets of /flt/ posters. I support
acid attacks against /flt/ posters. I support disemboweling /flt/ posters. I support dumping driveway sealer on the automobiles of /flt/ posters. I support harassment and psychological torture of /flt/ posters. I support turning /flt/ into a living hell.

Murdering /flt/ posters is, in my mind, justice. /flt/ is an experiment that should be terminated, and the damage done
by them is so severe that mass murder is the appropriate course of action.
>>
File: 1488148935669.jpg (164KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1488148935669.jpg
164KB, 900x675px
>>61755802
>>
File: 1479566843913.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1479566843913.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>
File: 1475692064155.png (77KB, 252x317px) Image search: [Google]
1475692064155.png
77KB, 252x317px
Hey /flt/. what's the best lightweight and user friendly GNU/Linux distro for daily use?
>>
>>61755851
Gentoo
>>
File: 1490588598159.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1490588598159.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
>>61753436
WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE YOU USING OUR FUCKING STICKY YOU FUCKING BASTARDS YOU CANT EVEN FUCKING BE ORIGINAL FUCKING KILL YOURSELVES
>>
File: 1480903111064.png (52KB, 400x279px) Image search: [Google]
1480903111064.png
52KB, 400x279px
>>
>>61755858
>>61755874
Samefag
>>
File: 1491238875693.jpg (402KB, 912x710px) Image search: [Google]
1491238875693.jpg
402KB, 912x710px
Going to install Debian GNU/Linux on my lil' chinkpad and I'm not sure which DE to choose. Thinking about Xfce. Will I reget?
>>
File: 1493850746274.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493850746274.png
377KB, 640x480px
>>
File: 1478290234287.png (464KB, 3999x3801px) Image search: [Google]
1478290234287.png
464KB, 3999x3801px
>>61755889
>Samefag
So? I can't post in multiple threads? What's the issue retard?
>>
File: 1476557935208.jpg (160KB, 581x764px) Image search: [Google]
1476557935208.jpg
160KB, 581x764px
>>61755851
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
File: 1489859529396.png (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489859529396.png
34KB, 640x480px
>>
>>61755899
No it's Linux. The big fat faggot who doesn't even program anymore shouldn't decide the name for Linux.
>>
>>61755929
Linus Torvalds is a retard if he thinks we should refer to an entire OS by the name of an exchangeable kernel. The truth is that Linus NEEDS it to be called Linux. When the Tech CEOs of Apple and Google and IBM, and others hear about "Linux", they assume they are talking about the OS and not just the kernel. They then dump billions into developing "Linux" with the intent of improving the OS, but in actuality much of that money goes to over-developing the kernel (and thus the Linux Foundation gets a big chunk of that money under false pretenses). Basically, Linus wants everyone to call the GNU POSIX operating systems "Linux" so that his rent gets paid. He'd call your Android and Router and your parent's smartTV "Linux" too if he could get away with it. Linus Torvalds is a piece of shit.
>>
Any of you i3 users tried sway? X is awful crusty.
>>
>>61755944
>using a copypasta
ignored
>>
>>61755899
>>61755929

>>61754943
>>
>>61753736
Good lord, man. Please unfuck yourself and try again. Your post is barely intelligible.

>Some options do not persist from saving them in ncurses
You mean the ncurses kernel configuration interface that gets called when you call 'make nconfig' or 'make menuconfig'?

>said modules are not avalible, despite embedding them(not module).
Are they modules, or not? You complain about modules not being available, but then say they're not modules. Which is it?

Show the snippets of your .config and the commands you're using to compile the kernel.
>>
File: 1496299827019.png (426KB, 799x900px) Image search: [Google]
1496299827019.png
426KB, 799x900px
>>
File: 1472418599273.jpg (1MB, 1313x1272px) Image search: [Google]
1472418599273.jpg
1MB, 1313x1272px
>>
>>61756011
>You mean the ncurses kernel configuration interface that gets called when you call 'make nconfig' or 'make menuconfig'?
Yes
>Are they modules, or not? You complain about modules not being available, but then say they're not modules. Which is it?
There are 3 states.
Disabled
Module
Enabled(hardcoded)
Even hardcoding them they do not load(overylay,fuse,f2fs,vfat,ntfs)
>>
File: 1501566030179.png (164KB, 800x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1501566030179.png
164KB, 800x1044px
>>
File: 1492281040149.jpg (40KB, 495x321px) Image search: [Google]
1492281040149.jpg
40KB, 495x321px
>>61755929

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

>http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
>>
File: 1483158725231.jpg (45KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483158725231.jpg
45KB, 850x400px
>>
>>61756065
[citation needed]
>>
File: GNUTotalSplit.png (34KB, 380x320px) Image search: [Google]
GNUTotalSplit.png
34KB, 380x320px
>>61756065
>>
>>61756090
There's a link in the OP. Check it and filter by GNU. Then compare the number of the developed programs to the single program called Lnux.
>>
File: 1499146106602.jpg (551KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1499146106602.jpg
551KB, 2272x1704px
>>61756096
>>61756090
you are fake news
>>
>>61756096
lmaonade
>as I'd like to call it, Linux+GNU/KDE+Mozilla/Java
Hang on, let me get some freetard gems too.
>>
File: 1488258743325.jpg (38KB, 744x634px) Image search: [Google]
1488258743325.jpg
38KB, 744x634px
>>61756096
>>
File: 1497992968272.png (236KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
1497992968272.png
236KB, 512x341px
>>
>>61756102
>number of programs is a good mesuarement of importance
That is even worse than LoC
>>
>>61756114
As you were told in the last thread
>3.1
>>
File: 1488203192931.png (197KB, 680x652px) Image search: [Google]
1488203192931.png
197KB, 680x652px
>>61753436
>>
>>61756114
Half of those GNU shit programs aren't even in the average Linux computer
>>
File: 1475281816263.gif (7KB, 184x84px) Image search: [Google]
1475281816263.gif
7KB, 184x84px
>>
File: nigger.jpg (115KB, 1294x478px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
115KB, 1294x478px
>>61756077
>>
>>61755851
xooboonts
>>
>>61756153
Kek
>>
File: 1498117968899.png (266KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498117968899.png
266KB, 850x400px
>>61756153
Fuck off you dumb nigger
>>
>>61755945
You're not memeing me that easily, buddy.
>>
Trying out firejail.
After doing firecfg, and it creating the symlinks, launching any program normally does not use firejail.firejail --list shows nothing but the --list action.
However manually doing say firejail firefox, it properly sandboxes and shows up in --list.
I manually checked the synlinks in /usr/local/bin and it is pointing to /usr/bin/firejail.
Is there some userfile i'm missing that is picking up instead of using the sandbox?
>>
File: fixed.png (3KB, 520x437px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
3KB, 520x437px
>>61756096
>>
File: 1495900872721.jpg (335KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1495900872721.jpg
335KB, 1600x1200px
>>61753436
You're in the wrong neighborhood motherfuckers
>>
File: 1475882358001.png (19KB, 640x387px) Image search: [Google]
1475882358001.png
19KB, 640x387px
>>
>>61756184
>t. big fat faggot
>>
>>61756193
>using PNG transparency wrong
>>
>gnufags try to argue all day that their opinion is superior and the ethical benefit to their magical realm from revising history is more important than anything else
>eventually they get sore tired of getting BTFO they just revert to spamming
Given the stale pastas they have been using all year I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Richard Stallman wouldn't have reverted to such braindead tactics. But then he at least tries to think for himself.
>>
File: 1479132439395.jpg (39KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479132439395.jpg
39KB, 1000x1000px
>>61756206
How so?
>>
>>61756096
>>61756113
https://stallman.org/uber.html
>we should call it guber instead lol xd!
>Uber pays drivers peanuts; we should call it "Goober", or rather "Guber".
So I guess freedom stops at what corporations are allowed to pay their workers (who by the way are working voluntarily).
>Uber in China tracks drivers and actively pressures them to stay away from protests.
Because making passengers get stuck in a fucking protest is a good business practice.
>When taxi drivers struck to protest the troll's partial Muslim ban, Uber took the opportunity to undercut the strike.
Freedom only matters if it's supporting the people I support.
>Uber has changed the regulations that cover charging passengers for making cars wait.
Regulations on freedom are only good if the fair and friendly government does it, private corporations should not have the freedom to regulate their own services.
>Uber's CEO collaborates with the loser.
Ah yes, the one who's currently in the white house is in fact the loser.

I wonder what kind of mental backflips the GNU faggots have to do to believe all the shit they spout and simultaneously put out this kind of shit.
>>
File: 1491533108415.jpg (1MB, 2240x1680px) Image search: [Google]
1491533108415.jpg
1MB, 2240x1680px
>>61756212
>spamming
see >>61754129
>>
>>61756218
Different implementations handle transparency differently, and it can make the black unintelligible from the transparent
>>
>>61756245
Most of those fake threads are spammed by GNU faggots too
>>
>>61756258
Fuck off idiot
>>
>>61756262
no u
>>
>>61756096
>http://pedrocr.pt/text/how-much-gnu-in-gnu-linux/

>I didn’t include GNOME in the GNU category because it seems to now be effectively run outside GNU but including that the total for GNU would be around 13%.

>The kernel slice includes not just the kernel but also its direct dependencies like iptables and udev. The kernel itself is 6% of the total.
>>
>>61756286
delete
>>
>>61756286
>changing data to attempt to get his point through
that's a gnu faggot for you
>>
>>61756245
Someone else being a cunt doesn't give you an excuse to act likewise. Be the bigger neckbeard for once in your life.
>>
>>61756055
>There are 3 states.
Nigga plz. I know that. What was in question was whether you do.

You still haven't shared the relevant snippets of your .config.

What do you mean by

>Even hardcoding them they do not load
How are you making this determination?
>>
>>61756331
KILL YOURSELF THEN BITCH THIS AINT NO FRIENDLY THREAD HELP YOUR FUCKING SELF
>>
>>61756347
>How are you making this determination?
The option goes from
[ ](empty)
to
[*](enabled)
The other option is:
[M](module)

CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
CONFIG_FUSE_FS=m
CONFIG_F2FS_FS=m
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m
>>
>>61756362
>HELP YOUR FUCKING SELF
Did you reply to the wrong post?
>THIS AINT NO FRIENDLY THREAD
Um, check the title again friendo.
You should really step away from the computer for a while. Maybe go for a run. If the all caps is anything to go by you are at high risk of a heart attack :(
>>
>>61756385
If that's the .config you're using, you're compiling these features as modules. You are not compiling them into the kernel binary. So it is no mystery why they are not loading as part of the kernel itself.
>>
>>61756448
But they are still enabled, having them as a module means you are able to load them with modprobe and they are not always in the kernelspace.Where as having them hardcoded they are always active.
Setting them as modules does not mean the config is not enabled, it just means its an on demand load instead of being loaded by default
>>
>>61756448
>the kernel binary
you mean Linux?
>>
>>61756469
No, they mean darwin.
You absolute muppet.
>>
>>61756469
No, Linux is the system, the Linux kernel is GNU: the program which allocates the machine resources to the other programs that you run. GNU is an essential part of an Linux system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete Linux system.
>>
>>61756468
You continue to attempt to explain to me things which I already know, but which you do not seem to understand clearly yourself.

First you were complaining about your modules not loading, but then insisted that they were not modules(!). Then you complained that even though they were "hardcoded", they weren't loading, then showed part of a config showing that the features in question were, in fact, compiled as modules.

I'm not interested in receiving your poor explanations of things I already understand while you simultaneously refuse to provide the information that is necessary to assist you.

Perhaps someone else will have the patience to help you. Good luck.
>>
>>61756574
>already know,
Then you wouldnt be a condescending faggot and you would know exactly what i meant and you would not waste my time asking said questions, since you "already know"
>>
>>61756096
KDE/Linux is pretty comfy desu
>>
>>61756588
It's not my fault you are incapable of clearly articulating your problem. I hope English is not your native language.
>>
>>61756588
>you would know exactly what i meant
>not waste my time asking said questions
Lol. Are you the guy from yesterday who said they were using config.x86 instead of .config?
>>
/fglt/ is a shitshow...fuck GNU.
>>
>>61756652
>can I be part of your gang
>>
File: 1477351493415.png (1MB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1477351493415.png
1MB, 1000x1400px
Every decision a person makes stems from the person's values and goals. People can have many different goals and values; fame, profit, love, survival, fun, and freedom, are just some of the goals that a good person might have. When the goal is to help others as well as oneself, we call that idealism.
My work on free software is motivated by an idealistic goal: spreading freedom and cooperation. I want to encourage free software to spread, replacing proprietary software that forbids cooperation, and thus make our society better.
>>
>>61756735
>Every decision a person makes stems from the person's values and goals.
That's a flawed model of decisionmaking. Maybe that's why Stallman is such a failure. GNU Hurd when?
>>
>>61757219
I took it as more of an observation than a model. Sure you could say people's decisions are based on society or something but in the end you can always kys. You have to decide the relative importants of the factors that weigh on your life are.
>>
>>61756735
Our culture is moving in this direction slowly but surely.

I also think in the coming years there's going to be a huge push to demands for more collaboration and sharing of private data coming from higher ups and all throughout academia, mostly to attempt fixing the current systems of "publish or perish" which produce copious amounts of falsified research and data.

All things being equal it might benefit companies more to keep data private, but it's actually detrimental to the interests of government programs, the military, and academia and its investors. and they're combined weight is a force to be reckoned with.

The concept of trying to create a thriving field by keeping proprietary information and fighting over private interests will seem as batshit insane to people 100yrs from now as the notion that the best way to boost the livelihood of a nation is to keep its population uneducated seems to us today.
The result is government intervention. Today we have public school systems. Tomorrow we will have laws and regulations to restrict proprietary data of all kinds.

Stallman was just ahead of his time.
>>
>>61757348
>people 100yrs from now
There won't be any. It's all coming to an end.
>>
>>61757348
>keeping proprietary information
What are you talking about? He doesn't give a shit about information in general. Only software.
>>
I'm downloading Lubuntu right freaking now. What am I in for?
>>
>>61757466
It's easy to install and maintain. There's a lot of software available, since it's an Ubuntu variant, and they draw from Debian. Most of the time, it just werks and stays out of your way.
>>
>>61757501
Neat
>>
>>61757501
>sjwbian
thats just how you end up with gnutard memes
>>61757466
get alpine or install gentoo without gnu, dont make the mistake and fall for these "babbies first/just werks" memes, all linux distros are basically the same with the same features
>>
>>61758031
>thats just how you end up with gnutard memes
Ermm. I don't think it is. Really. I think you end up with gnutard memes from autistic summerfags skimming rants and regurgitating shallow takeaways.
>>
>>61758031
>all linux distros are basically the same
>don't use these distros, because [...]
>>
About how long would it take for a Gentoo install to compile from scratch, including x/Wayland, a lightweight wm, and Firefox?

It would be building on a t420 with an i7-2640m, and an SSD if that makes a difference
>>
>>61754129
see >>61751194
The /faglet/s have already threatened to spam us.
>>
>>61758263
RAM makes the most difference. see >>61753970
>>
>>61758524
One asshole who already did it then gave up when there was no response except people pointing that recting to spam with more spam is a short sighted childish response.
Cool your jets.
>>
>>61753436
is this qt free as in freedom?
>>
>>61754572
>>61754556
I'm not sure ether. I like it because it seems to be the easiest to use for beginners without going full retard like Ubuntu.

>yes I know mint is based on Ubuntu
>>
How do I interact with folders with special characters via the command line?

I'm trying to copy a file that has an apostrophe but it's refusing to tab-complete, I've also tried copying the entire file name and manually pasting it into the command. No dice.

Putting it in quotation marks isn't working either
>>
>>61758893
>I'm trying to copy a file
ooh, sorry anon. The cp command is a GNU utility and as such is inappropriate for this thread. You should try the /fglt/ thread instead.
>>
>>61755464
Beginner here, whats wrong with gcc?
>>
>>61758893
>refusing to tab-complete
I can't say I have ever had that problem. Sounds like bullshit desu.
Try using ls on the directory and then copying and pasting.
>>
>>61759043
Nothing. It is the industry standard compiler toolchain. Some anons who frequent /g/ like shitting on anything related to the gnu project.
Although to be fail gcc rested on it's laurels for a long time until llvm/clang came around and started showing superior results in a few areas. Then gcc got it's shit into gear and they have been competitive for years now.
>>
>>61758893
escape the apostrophe with a backslash like this
cp anon\'s_picture.jpg sane_filename.jpg
>>
Does anyone mind explaining how they set up their distro with a GPT drive?
There seem to be a lot of different ways to do this but I'm wondering what the "correct" way is?
>>
File: 1474824623999.png (48KB, 219x219px) Image search: [Google]
1474824623999.png
48KB, 219x219px
Why does Kwin crash 80% of the time I switch from desktop view to a video/game in fullscreen?
>>
>>61759378

Why are you such a pessimist? Enjoy the working 20%.
>>
>>61759043
It's a great compiler if all you do is compile with it.
The source code is a huge monolithic nightmare because RMS was afraid companies might restrict users' freedom should it be modularized.
That's why LLVM exists. It's a generic backend that you can use as a base for different language frontends (e.g. Clang).
There's also the question of licenses. GCC has switched to GPL v3 which has some additional (largely politically motivated) restrictions of use, forcing some projects and companies to use old version of GCC still licensed under GPL v2 (e.g. OpenBSD, Apple, etc.). LLVM is permissively licensed making it more business friendly and also fit for projects tired of Stallman's shit.

In any case, always use the best tool for the job.
>>
>>61759404
I just don't get how people get tired of Stallman's shit.
I mean he's so good at making friends (I know Linus just loves him) and not at all an annoying fucker who bikesheds and gets in people's faces at every possible opportunity.
I'm sure the people who do that and claim to follow him are just misguided. Yeah that's it.
>>
I would like to have a home server. What kind of hardware should I look for ? I have read a few anons talking about hpe gen8 being good. Is there any recent hardware similar ? Or should I take à ryzen 3 and built one myself ? I got a 600€ budget.
>>
>>61759378
The way KDE project works, they always produce a stable and polished release and then increment the major version number and completely break everything while bloating it up with new misfeatures. Then they start fixing the bugs, until it's almost bug-free and rock-stable, at which point the cycle repeats and they break fucking everything again.

Consider using MATE or Xfce.
>>
>>61753436
Hi anon's, I'm having the same issue on two different machines, completely different builds.

I'm only able to detect my bootloaders when I use a manjaro live-usb and go to the detect efi bootloader menu.

One of the machines is a fresh install so i'm thinking it may be a motherboard issue. But to have the same issue on two different machines, running two different operating systems is odd.
>>
>>61759179
>>61759404
Alright i see thanks.
>>
remember to patch your coreutils
diff -Naur a/configure b/configure
--- a/configure 2016-01-20 11:32:53.000000000 +0100
+++ b/configure 2016-05-01 10:25:24.161829000 +0200
@@ -34393,17 +34393,17 @@
openbsd*) os='OpenBSD';;
nsk*) os='NonStop Kernel';;
nonstopux*) os='NonStop-UX';;
- netbsd*-gnu*) os='GNU/NetBSD';; # NetBSD kernel+libc, GNU userland
+ netbsd*-gnu*) os='NetBSD';; # NetBSD kernel+libc, GNU userland
netbsd*) os='NetBSD';;
mirbsd*) os='MirBSD';;
- knetbsd*-gnu) os='GNU/kNetBSD';; # NetBSD kernel, GNU libc+userland
- kfreebsd*-gnu) os='GNU/kFreeBSD';; # FreeBSD kernel, GNU libc+userland
+ knetbsd*-gnu) os='kNetBSD';; # NetBSD kernel, GNU libc+userland
+ kfreebsd*-gnu) os='kFreeBSD';; # FreeBSD kernel, GNU libc+userland
msdosdjgpp*) os='DJGPP';;
mpeix*) os='MPE/iX';;
mint*) os='MiNT';;
mingw*) os='MinGW';;
lynxos*) os='LynxOS';;
- linux*) os='GNU/Linux';;
+ linux*) os='Linux';;
hpux*) os='HP-UX';;
hiux*) os='HI-UX';;
gnu*) os='GNU';;
>>
>>61759825
Would be a lot more useful to change it to give an indication of what the target was running, not the host.
>>
>>61759378
>KDE

I have to give it so them after decades of failure they still keep trying, good on them.
>>
>>61759825
Why replace the ones that report gnu from the syscall? You are losing information there.
>>
>>61759899
it is just the hardcoded OS name
>>
>>61754502
>frontpage
Go to bed leddit
>>
>>61755809
>FRIMAR
>>
>>61759926
You dumb fucking faggot. I am aware of what that autoconf file in gnulib is used for. Did you happen to notice that there is for instance both netbsd* and netbsd*-gnu*? Yet you are making uname report the same system for both. Since you didn't even read the comment above that block which says you can just remove the more specific matches to make the less specific ones match I assume you don't know why a system would report those different syscall outputs and why stripping the difference is stupid.
Fucking summer fags that would rather feel smug by posting an edited uname output to their desktop threads than actually understand their system.
>>
>>61753970
>I was just surprised at how simple the installation process actually is compared to its reputation
"install gentoo" is a joke for a reason, anon
if you're familiar with linux in general you don't even need the gentoo handbook, just a cheatsheet of emerge should suffice
>>
>>61760003
>I assume you don't know why a system would report those different syscall outputs
mainly so stallman can tell people to run uname and say it says this and that for the OS name
>>
>>61760037
This.
Stallman added the non-standard -o option to uname and changed the description of -r and -s in the manpage just to feel smug about himself.
>>
>>61760037
>stallman added syscalls to bsd
No, the gnu project added the option to uname. It uses the right side of >>61759825, the left side comes from elsewhere.
>>
>>61760037
>>61760079
>Post patch file of a poor edit.
>Tries to defend it by claiming Stallman wrote syscalls
The level of technical incompetence and all around ignorance here is embarrassing.
>>
>>61760133
it clearly just reads "linux" and hardcodes the OS-name to something else than linux even though the OS-name should be linux
>>
>>61760251
>>Post patch file of a poor edit.
>implying I posted the patch

>>Tries to defend it by claiming Stallman wrote syscalls
He didn't and I never claimed it. He simply bastardized uname to feed his ego.

>The level of technical incompetence and all around ignorance here is embarrassing.
Thanks to your "contribution" as well.
>>
How can i mount ext partition with journaling disabled? Since i only have 2 ssds, i decided to make separate partition for /var with journaling disabled. It has generic record in /etc/fstab:
# /dev/sda2
UUID=15f4397b-07d6-4b4a-b740-fe1db6029b44 /var ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 2

It works fine, but at reboot i'm seeing Error unmounting /var. 3 other partitions mounted with same parameters, but there are no errors with them.
>>
>>61760662
Forgot to mention, genfstab made much more different record for that partition with bunch of other options, i just thought it was not important, so i replaced it with record from arch wiki about trim. And, obiviously, i haven't made a backup.
>>
How do I lear how to use Linux? I installed Arch with Cinnamon and it just works, reading the wiki and copying the commands doesn't teach me much
>>
I came here to ask a question but I forgot what it was
>>
>>61760827
Install gentoo, but make sure you don't just copy-paste what the handbook is telling you but instead actually understand what it is you're doing

Yes it will be slow and will take a lot of googling, but you'll learn quite a lot
>>
>>61760662
1. Stop using the discard option. Archwiki even warns against this. Use periodic TRIM instead https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Periodic_TRIM

2. Journaling on ext4 can't be disabled through a mount option. If you really want it disabled, unmount the filesystem and then use
# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdXY
. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUPS!

I have no idea why would it throw errors on unmounting.
>>
>>61760998
>2. Journaling on ext4 can't be disabled through a mount option. If you really want it disabled, unmount the filesystem and then use # tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdXY. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUPS!
Yes, i made that after making partition. There is no journaling on that partition.
>>
>>61761067
Great.
The mount options in fstab seem all right, with the exception of discard which can cause some problems. If you still have problems when unmounting it, check the logs.
>>
Hello.
I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop, turned out its slow as fuck, so i did apt-get install lubuntu. Now the envirnoment works fine, but i cant even play a video on youtube without stuttering, and while laptop had vista before, everything worked smoothly. Any help?
>>
>>61761653
>stuttering
You mean tearing?
What GPU do you have?
>>
>>61761653
It's your GPU drivers, nothing to do with which Ubuntu variant you have. It would be slow in Lubuntu if you haven't set them up right.
>>
>>61761708
tearing, stuttering, its just not smooth, video and audio tears.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Vaio-VGN-P530H-R.14985.0.html this is the laptop im trying to revive - if nothing helps, i'll just roll back to vista on it, and close another year of linux experience as 'dont even try, jimmy', as its always same story since 2002.
>>
what linux distro would be best for my computer?

tried a couple by they all freeze constantly or there is no driver support ;(

CPU: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G @ 4x 1.8GHz
GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CARRIZO (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
>>
>>61761741
Oh you're the dude with that sexy little Vaio from the other day. I don't even know why your drivers don't just work because Intel GMA 500s use the open source driver which is already present in the kernel (I think it is, I've never used anything with a GMA500). Have you tried installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then making sure everything is enabled in Additional Drivers post-install? You shouldn't be having this many problems on that netbook. It should just fucking werk.
Dont give up yet, give another distro like Fedora or Debian a try before you completely give up. Something just doesn't sound right. Are you allowing it to install third party drivers at the start of the install?
>>
how to install minimal xfce ubuntu with this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD ?
>>
>>61761741
As root create a file 90-intel.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with these contents:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Then log out and log in again. It should prevent tearing.
>>
>>61761770
Did you try Debian 9.1? At least state what you tried.
>>
>>61761846
>Did you try Debian 9.1?
i did not.

>At least state what you tried.
Xubuntu 16.04
Xubuntu 14.04
ubuntu 16.04
ubuntu 14.04
Manjaro

older distros like xubuntu 12.04 wouldn't even pass the boot screen

all those i've tried, froze after sometime (screen goes completely black and only a hard shutdown i can get out of it)
>>
>>61755802
Ask me how I know you're new?
>>
>>61761770
Sabayon supposedly has very good hardware support. I tried it one and it was the only Distro that worked out of the box for me (for others the touchpad had problems). And while it is based on Gentoo, you can just use entropy which is a binary installer unlike emerge which has to compile everything from source.
>>
File: tfw.png (17KB, 707x117px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
17KB, 707x117px
>tfw programs finally start to make use of all cores/threads

we're gonna make it
ffmpeg latest btw
>>
>>61761877
Try Debian 9.1
Or possibly Fedora but Debian first. I dont really know why that CPU would be difficult but it may have something to do with the kernel, so try Ubuntu 16.04.3 (which has the latest Ubuntu kernel) and see if that helps. Ubuntu make their own kernel which can be trouble sometimes. Could be why.
>>
Hi guys
None of my Tweak tools show up in applications and when i use terminal to launch they dont even work when i try to switch themes
On Xubuntu rn
Also wanted to know how can I make terminal run neofetch on start up?

Thank you
>>
File: 1474935365691.png (25KB, 432x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474935365691.png
25KB, 432x640px
>"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." -- Linus Torvalds
what did he mean by this
>>
>>61761792
I'll try the thing that >>61761843
posted, thank you both for input. Will report if anything changes. And yes, i've allowed downloading 3rd party drivers during setup.
>>
It's fglt, not flt
>>
It's not /flt/, it's /fglt/
>>
It's /fglt/, not /flt/
>>
You faggots need to learn to respect the contributions of the GNU project
>>
GNU. GNU. GNU. Put it in the thread subject or fuck off.
>>
Imagine so buttmad -- So assore that you feel the need to remove the long-established "GNU" from the thread subject.
>>
GNU. GNU. GNU. Respect it or else.
>>
Why don't you respect all the hard work of the GNU project? What is wrong with you?
>>
Hi there. Are you buttmad? it's clearly GNU/Linux
>>
ITT: Butthurt GNU faggots that can't stand people not calling it GNU/Linux
>>
>>61763696
>>61763718
>>61763733
>>61763746
>>61763754
>>61763763
>>61763769
>>61763775
>>61763801
Clearly you GNU faggots are so buttmad so your going to spam the thread with your bullshit copypasta. Kill yourself GNU faggots. Nobody needs GNU.
>>
spambots doing god's work.
>>
He's spamming all of /g/ now. He's really mad about this.
>>
Anyone used distcc to install gentoo? how is it
>>
>MUUUUUUUUUUUUH GNU FAGGOTS MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH GNUUUUUUUUUUUU FAGGOTS
CRY ABOUT IT
LINTARDS WILL NEVER WIN
>>
>he made a spambot
Orbital keks

Is he paying poos in loos to solve the captchas, or is he actually sitting at his PC posting all of this? I'm not sure what's funnier
>>
>>61763990
>MUUUUH GNUUUUUU
CRY ABOUT IT
GNUFAGS WILL NEVER WIN
>>
File: 1418118104717.jpg (65KB, 494x605px) Image search: [Google]
1418118104717.jpg
65KB, 494x605px
>>61764018
Maybe he bought the fucking pass just to bypass captcha. Imagine that!
>>
>>61764028
>throwing away $20 just to be able to spam to your heart's content until you get banned
That's even more beautiful

/flt/ could probably be considered a modern art project at this point
>>
>>61764072 GNU WILL NOT DEVEEEDEEE US
>>
>>61764072
lol. this is the nicest thing anyone has said about my little baby so far.
>>
No pass. 4pass is 4faggots
>>
File: 1491079776919.jpg (14KB, 255x270px) Image search: [Google]
1491079776919.jpg
14KB, 255x270px
>>61764094
Wait, you're doing this manually?
You're doing manual labor for Google just to badly troll a thread you disagree with?
>>
If you faggots think I'm gonna let you get away with shitting on the GNU project, you are wrong. You can all fuck off. I'm not gonna let you take this fucking thread. RMS means everything to me. GNU means everything to me. You think you're worthy of even posting in this fucking thread? Kill yourselves faggots. I'm not going to allow you to have this thread. Fuck. You.
>>
RMS DID NOTHING WRONG. RMS DID NOTHING WRONG. RMS DID NOTHING WRONG. PRAISE RMS. RMS DID NOTHING WRONG.
>>
>>61764141
RMS is a big fat freetard faggot who doesn't even program anymore. Fuck RMS and his freetard supporters
>>
RMS did jack shit wrong. Fuck you all.
>>
>>61764141
>this is the state of nu-/g/
Are you at least aware that "this fucking thread" was always /flt/ until gnu-fags took over it? We're just taking back what's rightfully ours.

Or autism aside, isn't /fglt/ also up right now? Meaning "this fucking thread" doesn't even have anything to do with your precious gnu/linux thread, it's completely separate.
>>
>>61764141
I dont even know what that gnu shit is about. Everybody calls it linux, and noone care about gnu.
We call short-frequency-radio-receivers just radios and also noone care. Calm your tits bro.
>>
>>61764180
I know exactly who you are and what you're trying to do. You're splitting shit up and making multiple threads. You did this with the desktop threads. Put your trip back on /jp/ faggot
>>
>>61764180
EVERYONE MUST RESPECT GNU. NO EXCEPTIONS. /s
>>
BASED RMS IS BASED.
>>
Reimu is a fucking slut bitch
>>
>>61764198
I'm just a faggot that pitched the idea of bringing back /flt/ like two-three months ago and nothing happened. I'm happy these threads are up but I'm not making them.

And I don't even look at desktop/homescreen/speccy/battlestation threads
>>
>>
>>
>>
I'd respect Stallman more if he took at least some minimal care of his body. How can anyone take a beach-ball-belly figure seriously?
>>
Who the fuck do you think you are, to talk about stallman like that? Cocksucker
>>
>>
What PDF viewer would you recommend in a i3 environment?
>>
For unironic help and discussion, please go to /fglt/
>>
>>61764324
What's wront with muPDF?
>>
For unironic help and discussion, please go to /fglt/
>>
>>61760662
Would you kindly fuck off with your retarded technology discussion?
This is /flt/. Dedicated to spouting idiotic hatred for the GPL and Richard Stallman.
>>
>the only people who care about GNU are neets who are so autistic they are up for manually spamming 4chan all day long, and probably look like RMS would if he didn't have to go out in public
Wow, so the memes are true
>>
New thread: >>61764502
>>
>>61764180
You mean /g/-nu
>>
I can't wait till stallman dies and gnu along with him
>>
I welcome /flt/, fuck those commie gnutards. also is anyone using linux mint 18.2 kde? I am. and I currently like it so far, but I dont understand why they include such a old kernel.
>>
GPLv3 was a mistake
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.