[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want a non-botnet browser, naturally, I like my privacy >...also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_ne0wilp7HO1rwg7ino1_1280.png (198KB, 911x669px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne0wilp7HO1rwg7ino1_1280.png
198KB, 911x669px
>want a non-botnet browser, naturally, I like my privacy
>...also like the analytics on my own data that using Google products enables me to have

I could download Iridium or ungoogled Chromium, but then I thought about it and realized, well, I kind of like the advances in technology and AI that are made possible directly by harvesting & curing a nice strong crop of user data.

In that way, it's sort of a moral imperative to offer up your data. Right?

Maybe not in a way that's dubiously stated in a shady TOS so you don't understand what is being collected and exactly how - admittedly, transparency would be paramount here. But in the ideal hypothetical case of the majority of a population being wise enough to care about their privacy...if everyone shut their doors in the face of companies that depend on those analytics to advance their platforms, by say using strictly non-botnet software only, wouldn't technological progress stagnate?

Is there a middleground? I guess it must depend on the philosophical underpinnings of *why* we should care about our privacy. Is there a concise but enlightening answer to that?
>>
>>61751254
>It's a moral imperative to offer up your data
Oh boy this is gonna be a great copypasta

in4 300 (You)s
>>
>>61751282
I'm genuinely curious.

I really do care about privacy and if it's easy and probably a good idea to switch to an objectively better browser, I'll do it.

But for right now, not only does Chrome tick the right boxes for me and Just Works™, I'm wondering if the privacy concerns might actually be outweighed by the more utilitarian pursuit of innovation (at the risk of a cyberpunk apocalyptic 1984 societal meltdown, of course). And in either case, how to then justify 1. allowing yourself to be spied on to some extent, or 2. refusing to provide the raw materials for the development of potentially cool new stuffs.
>>
>>61751478
Windows 7 was made with minimal telemetry from Vista and XP. Windows 10 was made with more extensive telemetry from 7 and 8.1

That would indicate telemetry is just as capable of resulting in terrible software (because of over-fitting the design to data) as it is of creating a better product.
>>
>>61751558
Fair enough, I hate Windoze too, but I'm actually specifically referring to Google. And I think their services are pretty neat.
>>
Also,
>Chrome tabs sync
Literally unrivaled, even if I wanted to switch I'm not sure I could give this up
>>
>>61751940
Session Buddy + webserver or usb stick

You give up convenience for your privacy. It would actually be cool if somebody made a free sync addon (or maybe an automated program that syncs the sessionbuddy sessions automatically with YOUR server)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.