[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just installed this, as per several suggestions from /g/....did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: s_topright.png (4KB, 445x126px) Image search: [Google]
s_topright.png
4KB, 445x126px
Just installed this, as per several suggestions from /g/....did I get meme'd? This is my first time using Linux and everything seems to work just fine, but I keep reading about all these other distros and features they have...should I stay put or "distrohop" some more?
>>
>>61738822
>did I get meme'd?
Yes. Hard.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
Read the manual.
>>
You got memed. Slackware was my first distro too, in 1995. The packages are newer and the installer is better, but it has hardly evolved at all since the 90s. Switch to a modern distro like Ubuntu or Fedora. Slackware doesn't have a package manager which is why it's retarded.
>>
>>61738822
I would say that you got meme'd. I tried Slackware, too.

I am 100% not meme-ing you with these suggestions:
If you know some C/C++ programming, use Gentoo. Portage is the greatest package manager of all time.

If you are not, you should use something like Fedora or OpenSUSE. In general, I find that the package resolution is better than Debian, but your mileage may vary.

Just my 2ยข
>>
>>61739035

Can you explain a bit how one package manager works better than another?
>>
>>61739035
>if you know some C/C++ programming use a package manager written in python
What does this meme
>>
>>61739081
The problem tends to arise with dependency resolution, and particularly when you remove a package, and then don't want all the now-useless dependencies shitting everything up.

Technically speaking, you could of course scrupulously record all the invocations of apt-get or yum or rpm or whatever, but nobody does that.

Additionally, when packages get upgraded, sometimes you run into situations where two versions of a package need to be present. This does not often happen, and is usually against package maintainer policy, but nobody's perfect.

In Gentoo, you "don't have" these kinds of problems, because of the way the package manager works. In essence, the whole system is build from makefiles. This can prevent situations where you need two versions of the same package installed, because you're compiling everything, so dependencies tend to be more easily resolvable. Gentoo's Portage also has a shitload of tools that make it much easier to manage the state of your system. I have never had portage attempt to uninstall all my system packages like apt-get autoremove continually suggests to do.

However, I would say that if you are just using the normal, default-enabled repositories, most distros will be equivalent.

I could be full of shit, too. Who knows?
>>
>>61738822
Slackware is pretty damn simple and fairly easy despite being honestly really barebones (it's basically a bunch of packages thrown onto a DVD with an installer and that's all you get, no built-in dependency management or anything, and IIRC, they used to advise people to just install everything on the disc to make life simpler since you probably had all the libraries you needed to compile/install/run whatever that way), but you could honestly just use a different, easier distro and get the same results but with better support if/when something breaks.

also, who the fuck on /g/ suggested slackware
you usually get people saying
>xubuntu
>"install gentoo lol" fuck off
>arch
>debian
>fedora
last time I saw slackware mentioned, it was being disparaged
>>
>>61739108
My point was that if you ever have problems with ebuilds, knowing C/C++ will help you resolve a lot of problems. I've had to tweak ebuilds to make things work, as well as autistically mucking about in compiler/linker flags to get everything just right. I imagine that if you weren't a C/C++ programmer there'd be a lot to learn to get maximum effect.
>>
If you really want to learn linux just stick with it, its perhaps the best way for doing so. Learn to compile your applications from source, dig around the pre-installed softwared like samba, ssh, httpd and their configure scripts together with the init scripts.
I'm a slack user for many years, and tried several distros like arch, gentoo and debian, for some years too, and the hassle their package managers create are not worth it, so always came back. No silly abstraction will ever cross your way and make you loose your time from important tasks and work with Slackware.

>>61739035

>If you know some C/C++ programming, use Gentoo

You mean if you like debugging tons of obscured python/bash scripts and broken dependencies.
>>
>>61739035
not OP, but what are your issues with package management in Debian? I find it to be quite good

>>61739148
do any other linux distros have a package manager that compiles its packages?
>>
>>61739035
>Fedora or OpenSUSE
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>61739035
What about Funtoo?

>>61738822
I used Debian as my first distro about 14 years ago and I still use it to this day
>>
>>61738822
You did get memed but kinda not.

I used slackeware for a while around 2005 and it seemed like a more reasonable choice at that time. It takes too much time to deal with installing software; deb/rpm distros are much quicker and easier.

Nowadays anything I would have thought slackware was good for I would look instead to void or alpine which seem to be more maintained (?)
>>
>>61738822
Yes. Install Fedora.
>>
>>61738822
great choice! you'll learn a lot and the base system is super stable. Look for slackbuilds to install additional package, it's very easy to do and you get the option to customize your packages just like with gentoo, if you want.
>>
Slackware has a package manager and also third party package managers.
>>
>>61738822

Keep Slackware around for a little and discover how comfy it is. Look at how fucking simple and understandable everything is. After you get to that point, sure distro-hop a little. See what is out there. You will be back, I think.

The only weakness of slackware is related to the shitshow that some modern software is becoming. If you need 20 dependencies before you can compile a program you want to try, that is just not good, and a place where a package manager is useful.
>>
Most of the people in this thread are either never used Slackware or used it without knowledge of what their distro can actually do. Slack has at least two package managers with dependencies resolver.
BUT! Managing dependencies manually is a great way to learn GNU/Linux and it's also the best way to keep your system bloat-free.
Thats said - if you thinking about working with GNU/Linux in a professional field - you should use a distro with systemd - something like minimal installs of Ubuntu or Fedora because most of the servers are either RHEL or Ubuntu (which is more often).
>>
>>61743198
>Managing dependencies manually is a great way to learn GNU/Linux
I doubt that.
>bloat-free
Slackware is everything but bloat free.
>>
File: 1499521975500.png (35KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499521975500.png
35KB, 600x500px
>>61738822
You got meme'd hard. Let me show you the correct way.
>>
>>61743551
>Slackware is everything but bloat free.
You can hand pick every package that will be installed on your system manually, so it's as bloat free as you want it to be.
People look at the size of an installation ISO and say that Slackware is bloat but the thing is - you shouldn't install everything from it because then you'll end up with two DE's, a few window managers, games and some other useless shit. The ISO is made to be big so you could install all the tools that you use without internet connection.
>>
>>61738822
No. It's awesome. You will learn one of the harder distros and everything else will be cake after that. Look up alien bob.
>>
I always want to use Slackware but I always get stuck when I need to connect go wifi...anyone have an easy mode way of doing so?
>>
>>61743868
Get wicd
>>
>>61743727
To quote the Slackware-HOWTO found at the root of every Slackware installation medium...
>If you have the disk space, we encourage you to do a full installation for best results.
>>
>>61743899

I ended up installing xfce to get access to network manager, used that to install wicd, then uninstalled xfce and network manager...I think I'm retarded
>>
>>61738822
Slackware is great. You haven't made a single mistake.
I hope you did a "Full" install, though. Otherwise, package management might be a big problem.
>>
>>61746669
lol. thats how you learn. xfce is all i use on any distro.
>>
>>61746733

Why is it so difficult to get wifi setup without using a GUI? Ive tried following the SlackWare guide by using iwconfig, but it never works correctly...and wicd isnt on the default install disk so I oretty much have to do it that way
>>
>>61746699

I installed everything except KDE, and only installed xfce so I could connect to wifi to install i3 instead
>>
>>61746791
gui are for windows users. you are using an original unix based distro. sounds like you are almost there. do some research my friend. not too hard.
>>
>>61746791
Also try wicd-gtk

got that running on a rasperry pi3 with slackware arm image. It will put a network icon and you just click and add your shit. Ok, go on and do great things...
>>
File: I_HAVE_GAZED_INTO_THE_VOID.png (4KB, 238x278px) Image search: [Google]
I_HAVE_GAZED_INTO_THE_VOID.png
4KB, 238x278px
V O I D
O
I
D
>>
>>61743198
>systemd
No thanks, it will be gone soon
>>
>>61748211
Amen Brother
>>
>>61738822
>everything seems to work just fine
Then don't fix waht isn't broken you little shit, if you actually need the feature then obviously switch your distribution to get that feature.
>>
File: dick blister.png (136KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
dick blister.png
136KB, 320x240px
>>61738822
Slackware is one of the only distros worth using at this point desu. Everything else is wannabe Windows shit, and if you're using a *NIX and you don't want to use a UNIX machine, you shouldn't be using a *NIX.
>>61738858
>Slackware doesn't have a package manager which is why it's retarded.
Slackware has always had a package manager. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>61747093
Void is great too if that's your thing.
>>61743868
Slackware doesn't come with networkmanager enabled by default. You have to mark it executable with:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.networmanager
Then you can execute it or reboot. Alternatively, you can install wicd, which is my preference.
>>61743727
Slackware's "bloat" doesn't matter because nobody's forcing you to use the rest of those packages. Nothing is enabled by default except for core functionality of a GNU/Linux system.
>>
>>61748211
>No thanks, it will be gone soon
what makes you think so?
>>
>>61752216

How do you install wicd if you dont have internet because you dont have wifi?
>>
>>61753351
You can use ethernet, or you can download the package and put it on a USB and install it via

installpkg XXXXX.txz
>>
>>61753351
USB Stik from another PC, or ethernet, use your imaginationz. c'mon mang
>>
>>61743674
About to install this on my thinkpad x220
>>
>>61743674

Xfce on Slackware is way comfort, pleb
>>
> first time using Linux
> downloads Slackware

Oh lawd
>>
>>61739452
linux from scratch
>>
>>61739165
>If you know how to solve problems chose a distro that has/generates problems
>>
>>61739498
>What about Funtoo?
Funtoo main dev does not even use Funtoo himself. It's a joke.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.