[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it finally dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: 08⁄04⁄17 - 23:50:11.jpg (9KB, 350x261px) Image search: [Google]
08⁄04⁄17 - 23:50:11.jpg
9KB, 350x261px
Is it finally dead?
>>
shit that explains the error i was getting
>>
File: ohcomeon.webm (241KB, 440x248px) Image search: [Google]
ohcomeon.webm
241KB, 440x248px
>>61738551
Well these fucking assholes pulled a bait and switch on us, didn't they?

I've been using multiple OpenMailbox accounts with Thunderbird for 2 fucking YEARS, and now they want me to pay 49 euros a year for IMAP access?

And they pull this with no previous announcement or anything, all while the service has been plagued with errors and downtimes recently.

Why the fuck would I give them 49 euros a year when FastMail is so much better AND cheaper?

FUCK. THESE. GUYS.
>>
>>61739083
I am in the same boat as you. This is disgusting.... First I was upset that someone hosting something as important as email can be down for this long.. then to come back to getting shut off? Welp moving email providers I guess. I can only imagine how many users are upset about this.
>>
>>61739083
you have to pay them for "two factors authentication" lol wtf pay for something that should be free? Not to mention all the typos on their site. If they can overlook all their typos and downtime it worries me to wonder what other security they overlook
>>
what's the best alternative now? I guess I'll have to go with gmail
>>
File: get-well-soon-deer-1.jpg (91KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
get-well-soon-deer-1.jpg
91KB, 630x354px
>>61739482
>Welp moving email providers I guess
That's what I'm going to do. Granted, I never donated to them, so I was freeloading, but they offered the service freely to begin with. Now I'm thankful I never sent them a single cent. Fuck these unprofessional assholes. Even Vincent who runs cock.li is more professional than this.

I'll probably move to FastMail since most free email services are either shit or don't offer IMAP. I've used FastMail in the past and they were great. Now I regret not staying.
>>
>>61739555
>FastMail
Is it free of botnet?
>>
>>61739580
Is internet free of botnet, you, idiot?
>>
how do i delete my account?
>>
>>61739508
>what other security they overlook

No wonder it's called open mailbox.
>>
jesus fuck, and I was just starting to think they *might* be safe to start using as my main email
>>
>>61738551
Yes, they sold out. Not to mention this new layout is really really buggy and it still says its 1.0 beta (so they forced a beta into production?)

https://niu.moe/@astheroth/2277640
https://warosu.org/g/thread/61736098
https://twitter.com/MrPerdurabo/status/893621177318600705
>>
File: oyveymyshekels.jpg (97KB, 552x436px) Image search: [Google]
oyveymyshekels.jpg
97KB, 552x436px
>>61739580
FastMail doesn't scan your mails or serve ads.

>>61739630
No idea, the redesigned interface doesn't have a bunch of features the old one had, including deleting your account.

>>61739686
Consider yourself lucky. I've been using Openmailbox for 2 years and now I've gotta move.

>>61739698
>so they forced a beta into production?
Clearly they did. The fact that they not only paywalled IMAP access, but forced those previous IMAP users into using their virtually featureless webmail interface proves just how inept the people running Openmailbox are. They're going to lose tons of users and bad word of mouth is going to spread everywhere.

They basically fucked their existing userbase expecting that this would gain them shekels.
>>
>>61739630
1. Sign into app.openmailbox.org.
2. Click the shield icon on the left.
3. Click the delete account link.

I recommend using teknik.io.
>>
Wew, this shit is getting attention on Twitter now. Whoever runs Openmailbox fucked up bad. They had a small userbase to begin with. Now they'll have no userbase.
>>
File: screenshot_2017-08-05_1.png (21KB, 622x249px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2017-08-05_1.png
21KB, 622x249px
You heard it here first, /g/. IMAP access can only be provided by rich email hosts like cock.li.
>>
>>61738551
Honestly I don't care as much about the paid IMAP, as I do about the fucking shit interface.
It used to be so good and they completely destroyed it, don't even know how to mark spam as not spam now.
>>
Cheap fucking shits, all of you.
As longs as it runs on free software and does not require the user to run nonfree software, I'm using it. Better to pay a little money (and let's face it, $49 per year is basically nothing) and use an email provider that respects your freedoms, than pay no money but hand over all of your personal data to (((Google))) et al.
>>
>>61741930
cont.

The only thing that bothers me is that they will only accept credit cards, apparently. Fuck that nonsense.
>>
>>61741812
toppest of the keks
>>
>>61738551
Wow, didn't expect that. To think that I almost donated to those fuckers.

>>61741930
It's true, we are cheap shits. But they could've at least warned us about this instead of just shutting down (IMAP) overnight.
Also 5€/month isn't cheap.
Also Gmail isn't the only free alternative.
>>
File: potato-computer.jpg (73KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
potato-computer.jpg
73KB, 960x720px
>>61741930
They pulled this shit with no announcement whatsoever. They simply cut off every user of their service, including the donators who have kept them alive up to this point. The new webmail UI is also horrible. Why would anyone want to give money to people this incompetent? There are tons of better options, both paid and free.
>>
>>61741970
>>61742007
Yeah, it's a dick move to shut down IMAP overnight. I can't even back up my old mails to move to a different provider.

5€ per month is cheap as fuck, that's like half a meal if you're eating out, or one meal per month if you cook at home. I'm just salty the only way to pay is via credit card; I don't have one and don't intend to ever own one.

What are some alternatives you can recommend? Must be able to access without nonfree software, should run free software on the server side, must NOT be known to belong to the PRISM group or similar, must either be gratis or payable via SEPA or Bitcoin, must have IMAP/SMTP access, must not require cross-site accounts (like Google forces you to use the same account for Gmail, G+, YT).
Is posteo a good?
>>
>>61742035
>should run free software on the server side, must NOT be known to belong to the PRISM group or similar
This isn't something you can verify, so why even list it.
Anyway: Vivaldi, Yandex, Mail.ru, Cock.li... just off top of my head for gratis ones. I don't know if they all support IMAP or not.
>>
>>61742035
I've heard Posteo is good. I use FastMail myself.

Honestly, email is inherently unsecure. Unless you're using PGP to encrypt the contents of your emails, your other efforts will mean very little.

A VPN would be helpful, too.
>>
>>61739083
I migrated to ZOHO very recently.
>>
>>61739083
Al least they did not kill your free account definitely like fastmail did
>>
>>61740293
The button doesn't work for me unfortunately.
>>
well openmailbox has been my main address for the past 2 years.

I don't mind paying but the service has been pretty unstable and fucking us out of IMAP without warning is pretty shit.

What are some good alternatives? both free and paid, preferably FOSS
>>
the only ones complaining about these changes are poorfag leeches that didn't donate in the first place. they are the reason the admin had to put things behind a paywall, these users will not be missed.

now what's really bad is that images and third party scripts are being loaded automatically when opening mails now, which no option to turn that behaviour off. i urge you to contact the admin about this on twitter or something (contact form seems to be broken).
>>
>>61742103
>Yandex, Mail.ru
LMAO
>>
>>61743900
riseup
posteo
vmail
>>
>>61743900
qqmail
Chinese email service ran by communist party. But they won't give a shit about what you use it for unless you talk about hong kong or tibet.
>>
>>61743968
>riseup
What if you're an ancap because you aren't that retarded?
>>
>>61743958
If you don't plan on going to Russia it should be fine.
>>
>>61741812
But they're correct.
>>
>>61744001
what's wrong with riseup?
>>
>>61743991
>tfw in your lifetime if we have a eastern asian conflict tibet and hongkong will be annexed for the mainland....
>>
>>61744062
putin removed vpn services in russia

look at yandex privacy policy and tos
they are subservant and do collect data
>>
I'm pretty thankful that I'm not THAT autistic that I need to spend hours sperging over something so simple and irrelevant as choosing an email service
>>
File: unnamed.png (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
19KB, 300x300px
>>61738551
Gmail doesn't have this problem. :^)
>>
Next time use Gmail like the rest of the world.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.