[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just introduced someone to linux because they diddn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: afuckingretard.jpg (19KB, 499x353px) Image search: [Google]
afuckingretard.jpg
19KB, 499x353px
I just introduced someone to linux because they diddn't like windows 10 which was forcefully installed on the computer while she was at work (Thanks microshit). She's pretty fucking stupid so I just decided to throw linux mint at her that's what she wanted to try out. After hours of getting their shitty 32 bit laptop to run linux mint because I had to actually figure out what she was looking at by her just stupidly describing what her bios screen looks like to get it prepped to even run the iso from a usb drive. She eventually installed it and loved it but come a day later she is upset because she can't "Play muh games" Even though I clearly stated that games that worked on windows only will not work on linux beforehand. I'm fucking angry and I feel like I wasted my time.

Fuck Normies
Fuck Retards
Fuck Windows
>>
apt -y install wine

How is that a problem?
>>
>>61737768
She's too fucking stupid to even know how to do that. She literally needs a hand holder.
>>
Damn dude... that was probably just a clever ruse to get you to talk to her but you went autisticly FOSS. Can she even print now?
>>
>>61737780
Fucking this lmao.
>>
>>61737777
Lutris
>>
>>61737768
She even had the audacity to say she was a quick learner but fucking gave up day one. Fucking retard.
>>
>>61737808
I 100% Agree Lutris is amazing. But she's already given up. I really don't have time for people who are just that braindead. I got other work to do.
>>
>>61737780
sharing the joy of freedom > meaningless coitus
>>
>>61737838
Thank you. Not everyone cares about that shit. This was my honest and true intentions.
>>
No that's illegal.
>>
>>61737889
What?
>>
>>61737881
Good for you for actually having some type of standards
>>
>mint
Are you sure you aren't the retard?
>>
>>61737939
I had to dumb it down for her because she used to use shilldows. I'd reccommend arch but she's too fucking stupid to use that. Are you sure you're not the retard? That's like telling someone who drove a car to go fly a nasa rocket. Fuck off elitist.
>>
>>61737881
You might be autistic desu. In the actual sense, not in a meme way.
>>
File: IMG_0264.gif (654KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0264.gif
654KB, 245x245px
>>61737881
Lmao, you literally whight knighted someone away from the botnet? Are we supposed to hate Windows now? You understand how domains work right? How the fuck can she print now? This was a ruse, and you blew it, and now your fighting the good fight on /g/. Way to go, OP.
>>
>fucking windows what should I do
>I know, I'll ask that desperate nerd he'll do tech support for me for free
>>
>>61737978
Aren't we all autistic though? "Desu"
>>
>>61737970
>People who can't use Arch are stupid.

People who can are autists with no lives and no jobs.

How does it feel being autistic and not realizing it?
>>
>>61738016
You twisted my words around. People who are just jumping onto linux won't know what the fuck they are doing with Arch. She doesn't even know how to fucking use wine properly.
>>
>>61737987
I mean, even if its not a domain and some wifi signal, how did she wait for updates from M$ to install, then go to a functioning system and then takes phone instructions. She's bullshitting man, she's trying to talk to you.

And kudos to her for being an idiot but pulling off tier-1 support. PM me her info.
>>
>>61738016
>People who can are autists with no lives and no jobs.

That's even more retarded, people who actual work with GNU/Linux CAN use Arch without learning anything new.
>>
File: batman-.jpg (66KB, 500x578px) Image search: [Google]
batman-.jpg
66KB, 500x578px
>>61737780
Girl just wanted to fug, but the autist ended up sperging out and forced a linux install.
>>
>>61738028
I used Linux along with Widows for years.

I use Linux at work, use composer, PHP, Apache, Nginx, know how to use wine, write some scripts.

And still find Arch too difficult and autistic to use, I really don't see the point of it other than to learn about how Linux works.

It is stupid to recommend it to someone who wants to use the computer as a tool, no matter the knowledge.

Mint was a fine option to recommend, she is not stupid for now knowing how to use Wine though or things that are different than in Windows, she is probably not a power user and things can be learned, Linux can be complicated though, making games work in Wine sometimes is a pain in the ass when they don't work out of the box.

Better to use Steam or GoG with the games that have native support, there are plenty and not only indie shit.
>>
>>61737737
You sound like an autist.

My guess, you are either fat and ugly, or hyper skinny and ugly.

You also probably have poor hygiene.
>>
>>61738111
Actually I'm a 5 foot 4 manlet at 160 lbs and I guess not ugly nor handsome pretty average. I just took a shower too. So I guess I'm in the middle. Probably right about being autistic lmao.
>>
>>61738070
>people who actual work with GNU/Linux

What does this mean exactly? As in work with the kernel itself?

I'm >>61738108
>>
>>61738096
I just want to say this is my favorite post in here. Actually had me laughing.
>>
>>61737737
Linux is shit and she is not "retarded". You are a fucking pathetic outcast pounding your chest like the movie image of a redeemed underdog. Except this isn't the movies. Despite the fact Windows 10 isn't great, it's better than all Linux distributions I have installed.
>>
>>61737737
your angry because your stupid.
stop trying to get people to use linux.
>>
>>61737780
absolutely this
>>
>>61737822
Like make another pointless thread?
>>
Why didn't you just install Win7? Retard
>>
>>61738135
>What does this mean exactly? As in work with the kernel itself?
RHEL is called a workstation OS for a reason. Sysadmins, software devs (outside of MS ecosystem), etc. Even if you use MacOS for these, you'll mostly be using the same software like coreutils and GCC/Clang.
>>
>>61738416
Isn't RHEL still cucked into like two types of printers?

That said, I think Canonical will usher in the year of the desktop way sooner than RHEL in another generation. There's no way it can compete. The reason? Node-fucking-js
>>
If she's this stupid why would you get her to install linux? Why would you shill any normie on linux? Are you autistic?
>>
>>61737737
anyone who has any real use for linux knows what it is and how to fucking install it.
>>
>tfw installed linux for a friend and he liked it and thanked me for it

what a rare feel
>>
>>61737768
you dropped the sudo. Do you think a normie is logged in as root?
>>
>>61737737
>Linux > women
>>
>>61738493
>Isn't RHEL still cucked into like two types of printers?
Fuck if I know. Printers are cucked in general anyway, OS be damned.
>That said, I think Canonical will usher in the year of the desktop way sooner than RHEL in another generation. There's no way it can compete. The reason? Node-fucking-js
Red Hat doesn't really care about usability anyway, their main concern is to provide tools and support to professionals. It'll be interesting to see what influence Canonical has on the "mainstream" GNU/Linux desktop since they've given up on their homegrown projects, mainly Unity and Mir, and people care care a lot more about what Canonical thinks than the insufferable pricks that run GNOME.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (38KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
38KB, 600x375px
>>61737737
fuck helping others to install shit
>have to use some xilinx stuff for a digital electronics course
>teacher is a faggot genius with Phd and all that shit
>"you have to use cli and linux cuz that what real EEs use xD"
>i'm already running linux, whatever
>"anon can you help me to install ubuntu and the xilinx program"
>ok
>guy brings his shitty laptop and we met at the library
>so did you brought the ubuntu cd ?
>"ummm no"
>ok, do you have a pendrive so i can copy the iso to it?
>"umm no , no"
>did you even tried to install it before?
>"no"
>i pull out my portable drive and make it bootable
>boot up, try to install but for some reason the installer fails
>sick of wasting my time i tell him to download the iso and try again at home
>he drops out a week later
helping retards is a big waste of time
now i just refuse to help or pretend that i don't know / don't have time.
>chick saws me running some windows spice simulator
>i have a macbook so she asks me to help her do the same on hers
>download the virtualbox dmg and even search for an installer of vmware i had on my backups
>realize it will be just a waste of my time
>next day at the lab i finish my work and get out pretending i forgot about it
>>
File: chrome-icon.jpg (6KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
chrome-icon.jpg
6KB, 204x204px
>>61737737
this is why linux is doomed to obscurity

it takes a Google sized company to make Linux idiot-proof enough for normies and Android is Linux only in the most technical sense, literally no one who uses an Android device outside of the ~1% of actual desktop-using Linux neckbeards has the slightest clue it's Linux under the hood, and you put those same normies in front of even the most "user-friendly" distro like Ubuntu or Mint and they will stare blankly at the screen like a deer in headlights unless there's a giant pic related somewhere extremely obvious.
>>
>>61739247
Windows is fairly convoluted for a normie product, people are just used to it.

The actual problem is that it doesn't matter if GNU/Linux is user friendly because they need Windows for software compatibility.
>>
>>61737737
Always install an SSH+tor support "backdoor" when installing Linux for others because thry are typically morons.
>>
>>61739247
Normies can't even figure windows out.
They just want software support and only know how to click next and yes.

As long as they can run their shit it doesn't matter how fucked the OS is.
>>
>>61739304
>>61739385
true, normies can't do anything remotely advanced in windows, but they can at least double click a download and click next, which is where they hit a brick wall trying to do anything in Linux. Still way too common to run into some linux snafu early on trying to do something basic, get something to work, whatever, and assuming they even know enough to google it (which they usually don't) they then need to at the very least copy and paste some command line sorcery or "just create/edit this config file in.." that to a normie is just some absolutely insane next level CSI:Cyber hacker shit they aren't even going to try doing because they expect it will make their computer literally burst into flames.
>>
>>61737737
i imagine this scenario

>anon "teach" me about linux in this closed room alone
>what? what distro do you want?
>"teach" me
>linux mint i guess
>i closed the door, there is nobody anon....
>yeah but you want linux mint right? you know that some games dont work well in linux ok?
>>
>>61737822
Don't give up on people.
>>
>>61737768
fpbp

op eternally blown out
>>
>>61739247
>Android
The "Play Store" is a fucked up ugly mess full of shit. The App Store resembles heaven.
>>
>>61739536
It's good to read about linux/windows stuff without it being fud or bait. Yes, adding a .config file is completely beyond the average windows user and even a lot of users that can actually fix their own windows. Not saying it's difficult but just a foreign concept.
>>
>>61739536
>copy and paste some command line sorcery
You shouldn't run commands unless you know what they do, it's actually good they won't do it.
>>
wow cool thread op
>>
File: annoyedpepe.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
annoyedpepe.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>bring laptop to class because instructor said we needed it
>im running xubuntu because windows 10 is slow as shit, annoying, and spins my hard drive like crazy
>greasy haired fucking melvin behind me notices it
>starts talking to me about linux
>politely engage in minimal conversation because im not a sperg and i understand basic social interaction
>starts subtley negging my distro choice
>"ubuntu is pretty good for beginners but most people 'graduate' to arch"
>tell him i just like xubuntu because it does everything i need so why overcomplicate
>"someday you'll understand"

what is it with these people? how can you be so completely socially unaware? i have installed arch before in a VM and all i could think was "what was the point of all this convoluted setup if i'm just going to install a DE and keep doing everything i was doing before?"
>>
people using overcomplicated distros like arch or gentoo or whatever is like when you are at some kind of ceremony event setup and there is that guy who always carries as many chairs as he possibly can even though it is fucking up his back. you never see actually fit people doing it, they carry a reasonable amount because they know it's not healthy to overdo it. it's only either fatsos or pencilneckers because they are obsessed with showing off. similar to how actual tech-savvy people realize that distros like mint or ubuntu are suitable for 99% of tasks, so they don't over-do it for no real gain
>>
>>61737737
Just tell her about Tux Racer.
>>
>>61742318
you got owned lmao
>>
>>61742510

t. melvin
>>
>She's pretty fucking stupid so I just decided to throw linux mint at her
Why would you ever do something like that? Even people who are tech savvy don't want to deal with Linux overcomplicated bullshit, but you install linux on a girl's computer who is clueless about computers. You could just install Windows 7 like any other sane person would.
>>
>>61737737

lol congratulations anon now you will have the reputation of "that guy who broke stacey's computer"

from now on, everyone will think you are are the tech illiterate

this is what you get for trying to introduce normies to linux
>>
>>61737737
Fuck YOU.
>>
>>61737737
This is why we make the average lazy faggot use Android. It's the only thing that ultimately works.

Yes, Windows or OSX are too "difficult", same as Linux. It takes months for them to be users, and they'll never be sysadmins for shit.
>>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Year of the linux desktop am I right. Kek. After all the fuck ups from MS you still will never surpass 5% marketshare. Get fucked freetards.
>>
>>61742793

Linux will literally never gain traction unless they find a surefire way to easily install Windows apps just like on regular Windows. I think people care more about the apps than about the looks of the OS.

To be honest I'm surprised in 2017 people responsible for Wine still haven't started work on their own distro
>>
>>61737737
>mint
Dude like why?
>>
>>61742793
> After all the fuck ups from MS you still will never surpass 5% marketshare.
It's at >50% on virtually any larger market segment you can form.

Continue celebrating mostly holding on to the small "desktop" subset of personal computing (which really is dominated by Linux-based Android at this point, both for human time and devices).
>>
>>61737737
How to switch someone to linux:

Ask them what they used the computer for previously. (if games, ask what games etc)
Find out how they usually solve a problem they face with their computer.

Then research their problems.
Set up the computer for them so they can do the things they did before.
If they are really helpless, give them a script which sets up ssh server and prints the ip, so you can instruct them over the phone to run that and read the ip to you so you can login and fix their problems.

If you don't have the time to do this, don't convert people.
If you create problems for someone and don't give them a way to solve those problems they will only see you as a problem and revert back.
>>
>>61737780
TPBP
>>
>>61742826
Linux will not gain traction because Android already does what end users need.

It already is the end user desktop and everything "end user" is moving to it, very slowly.

[But yep, companies now started accounting sales and managing employee's time with Android etc. It's the new end user desktop.]
>>
File: arch_basic_tasks.jpg (505KB, 875x591px) Image search: [Google]
arch_basic_tasks.jpg
505KB, 875x591px
>>
>>61742826
The problem isn't the applications, you can't run Windows apps on Android either, but that Linux was never meant to be used by your average Joe, just look at the partitioning system, and there are many examples of that in Linux. Windows, like Android, was designed with normal people in mind, to be used by everyone and not just a handful of people who like playing with their OS to make basic things you didn't even think could be broken work.
>>
>>61742372
B-but muh customizability
>>
>>61742963
The partitioning scheme is no more complex on Linux than it is on Windows.

Windows, like Linux, has the problem that people take months to remember how to use it and they mostly NEVER become adequate sysadmins even for a very basic level of adequacy.

The only difference is that they actually spent months on Windows and "feel" familiar on it.

But they can't be trusted to manage either in any form. Leave a Windows install medium attached to a computer and you got a 1/3 chance that Mom or Joe the office worker wipes his entire Windows installation because they thought it was part of an update.

Again, it's all moving to Android for a reason. And kids often already are unfamiliar with the oh so very complicated Windows.
>>
>>61740554
>The "Play Store" is a fucked up ugly mess full of shit.
1. no it's not
2. you don't need to use it because unlike ios, android is not locked down
>>
>>61737768
Doesn't even work for most games I wanna play.
>>
>>61742963
>just look at the partitioning system
The thing that normal people wouldn't want to touch ever, and that already requires they even know it exists.

>make basic things you didn't even think could be broken work
Like, making sure your mouse drivers are loaded to the high memory since otherwise you wouldn't have enough free memory to run your program?
>>
>>61742318
The thing is, a lot of Linux distros are only really useful as a hobby OS. If you need to use your computer for class or work and need it to work most of the time, you're best off using Ubuntu, a fork of it or Windows.
This is what people like the dude you talked to don't understand. Not everybody wants or needs to become a 1337 hax0r that knows every inch of the function of their OS. Even a lot of people on here. A PC that just werks will do for most people.
>>
>>61737768
>not using wine-staging
>>
>>61738690
You think a normie is not?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.