[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touch Typing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

File: 1200px-Touch_typing.svg.png (127KB, 1200x396px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Touch_typing.svg.png
127KB, 1200x396px
So, /g/, do you touch type?
What WPM can you achieve?
And more importantly, do you think it's important for software development?

I myself can achieve 100+WPM, however, I don't fully touch type, e.g. I use my ring finger for backspace and two different fingers for the same row.
>>
I don't fully touch type, but I don't type with the "proper" method because it makes my wrists hurt. Typing my own way hits around 80 wpm.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-05_02-12-55.png (4KB, 741x321px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-05_02-12-55.png
4KB, 741x321px
>>61737441
Yeah, I'd say comfort is much more important than raw WPM, as its not a bottleneck most of the times and so saving your wrists doing it the way it hurts less is better.

pic related, it's
gtypist
>>
Yes
130 on average, 140 after a few minutes to get "warmed up"
Not really, no. Unless you type very, very slow (hunt and peck) you're going to be stopping to think about what to type next all the time. Unless you're just typing out stuff from memory, typing speed is largely irrelevant.

Also touch typing has nothing to do with what fingers you use, it just means you type without having to look down at your keyboard to find the key you want to strike.
>>
File: Colemak_fingers.png (6KB, 730x243px) Image search: [Google]
Colemak_fingers.png
6KB, 730x243px
>>61737495
>130 on average, 140 after a few minutes to get "warmed up"
Very nice!

>Also touch typing has nothing to do with what fingers you use, it just means you type without having to look down at your keyboard to find the key you want to strike.
Well then in that sense I touch type, since I don't look at the keyboard. But I was still trying to learn the proper method for better comfort and maybe speed.

What about alternative keyboard layouts, like colemak or dvorak?
>>
>>61737538
Learning different layouts is a meme.
Ergonomic keyboards are not.
>>
File: file.png (21KB, 495x290px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
21KB, 495x290px
>>61737538
I always suggest just finding the method that's most comfortable for you, when I'm resting my fingers on the keyboard I usually have them on these keys (British layout), but it varies every time I type. I always found the "proper" method to be uncomfortable for me

>What about alternative keyboard layouts, like colemak or dvorak?
I don't feel hampered by QWERTY in terms of typing speed and I don't feel uncomfortable with it, some people have success with alternative layouts but I don't personally see the appeal. I'm 26 and have been using the same layout for the most part since I was a small child, the muscle memory is so deeply ingrained that it's just not worth the effort.

People spend too much time trying to find the perfect setup for typing with all these different keyboard types, layouts, finger placement, or whatever. In the real world if you can type at 80+ WPM you're already in the professional typist tier and you won't find that you're any less efficient than someone who can type twice as fast as you most of the time. Just type in whatever way makes you the most comfortable
>>
File: keyb.jpg (60KB, 630x400px) Image search: [Google]
keyb.jpg
60KB, 630x400px
>>61737669
>I'm 26 and have been using the same layout for the most part since I was a small child, the muscle memory is so deeply ingrained that it's just not worth the effort.
I've always felt exactly the same, but I decided to try and change so I won't feel "lazy" about it.

>>61737646
>Learning different layouts is a meme.
>Ergonomic keyboards are not.
Right. Why would I buy one of these pic related, instead of a nice mechanical keyboard with blue switches? For like half the price, too.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.