[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 23

File: busybox.png (76KB, 1024x500px) Image search: [Google]
busybox.png
76KB, 1024x500px
Previously on: >>61711283

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. Please use other boards to discuss ideology, /g/ is Technology ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <something>

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
http://explainshell.com/
>>
first for alpine busybox musl clang
>>
I can't fucking wait till wayland becomes the default display server rather than X11. So many problems will disappear when wayland is used. Wayland will be the default for ubuntu 17.10 this october.
>>
>>61733098
what options are there for a basic floating wm for wayland?
>>
>>61733114
sway (I think) or openbox
>>
>>61733127
there's a wayland version of openbox?
>>
I've been noticing a strange phenomenon recently... Whenever I use a distro with systemd everything just works, whenever I use a non-systemd distro, something, without fail, ALWAYS breaks or doesn't work as intended.

Food for thought?
>>
If the anon who knows his shit is still around, can you please help me with the F2FS/fstab problem
I'm close to quitting but you have been picking me up each time I fell down today so I thought I would check to see if you knew anything before giving up.
>>
>>61733062
>creating threads before the bumplimit in order to shill your agenda
>>
>>61733159
>agenda
>wanting to talk about tech on a tech board is now having an agenda
>wanting to shill some communist crap isn't though
lol
>>
What are /flt/'s thoughts on Uruk GNU/Linux?
>>
Okay, this is really cool. This is a wayland compositor that's a 3D maze like doom/quake/wolfenstein. It's just an experiment right now, but I really hope whoever made this expands it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs
>>
>>61733062
>>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
>GNU
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>FSF
>http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
>BASH
please delete this
>>
>>61733197
does it bring anything new to the table, or is it just another boring debian-based distro with a few cosmetic changes?
>>
>>61733158
have you moved /boot fully onto sda1?
you need one these;
a. /boot completely on a filesystem grub supports
b. patched grub with f2fs support
>>
>>61733197
>GNU/Linux
its shit
>>
>>61733114
>>61733127
>>61733133
Maze compositor and Grefsen are two floating compositors for wayland I'm aware of.
>>
Autism and hate-free thread here: >>61733071
Everyone lovely welcome.
>>
>>61733265
This was made first, other is a duplicate. Tough shit.
>>
>>61733235
>/boot completely on
Then I'm at a bit of an impasse, this drive is GPT (and I want to keep it that way, going back to MBR is... going backwards.).
I'll try out this patched grub, but considering what it took to get to this point, I'm understandably low on willpower, even more so than I was in the morning, and it may end up taking even more of a toll on my poor head, so I might just wait for Canonical to sort their shit out.
I might even give 17.10 alpha 2 a try, might be a good time to take a look at Budgie which I've been meaning to do.
>>61733265
There's no hate here, what are you talking about? You're bringing hate here with your divisiveness. Go away nasty person.
>>
>>61733265
This thread is first.
>>
Ignore gnu posts
/GNU\/Linux/i;boards:g
/GNU+Linux/i;boards:g
/gnu/i;boards:g
>>
>>61733197
>yet another Linux Distro
*yawn*
>>
File: 1473578494532.jpg (96KB, 709x980px) Image search: [Google]
1473578494532.jpg
96KB, 709x980px
>>61733352
Most operating system distributions based on Linux as kernel are basically modified versions of the GNU operating system. We began developing GNU in 1984, years before Linus Torvalds started to write his kernel. Our goal was to develop a complete free operating system. Of course, we did not develop all the parts ourselves—but we led the way. We developed most of the central components, forming the largest single contribution to the whole system. The basic vision was ours too.

In fairness, we ought to get at least equal mention.
>>
>>61733224
I'm not sure yet, but being free as in freedom and as in free beer isn't boring at all.
>>
>>61733369
>I'm not sure yet, but being free as in freedom and as in free beer isn't boring at all.
So, like 99.9999% of all other distros then
>>
>>61733359
How about x11?how about systemd?how about freedesktop?
Why should we ass "GAHNOO" to the title of the system?
>>
>>61733401
Stop, friend. Just report the GNU shill.
>>
>>61733317
i use gpt on my non-efi machine, it's pretty easy to do with linux, i use it mainly because it lifts the partition count limit
i don't have anything else to suggest, not being familiar with efi (as far as actually using it and configuring a system to use it)
>>
File: 1489424654277.jpg (289KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1489424654277.jpg
289KB, 1280x853px
>>61733401
What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
>>
>>61733401
>systemd
>os an argument
>on /g/
alright, all newfags stay here, rest go to
>>61733071
>>
>>61733405
>friendly thread
>announcing reports
Please be friendly.
>>
>>61733410
>it's pretty easy to do with linux
Don't you have to do the stupid /boot/efi fat32 partition set up when you install?
>>
>>61733455
no, that's only for efi machines
>>
>>61733387
Are you trying to summon him?
>>
>>61733570
Barneyfag
>>
>>61733497
How do you set it up, please help, I would have done that all along but the only way the stupid Ubuntu wiki explained is with /boot/efi. It's as if there is no other way. Fuck, the last couple of days have really hit my confidence in Ubuntu/Canonical. Probably gonna go to Debian proper for the 1st time, or Solus or Fedora. Maybe even Alpine or NixOS or GuixSD for a real change.
>>
>>61733827
>Ubuntu
>Debian
>Solus
>Fedora
>GuixSD
we don't support gnu here
ask >>>/g/fglt
>>
File: 1498386737471.png (216KB, 698x424px) Image search: [Google]
1498386737471.png
216KB, 698x424px
>>61733918
>tfw you're actually op and people tell you to gtfo to enemy thread
I know you're the OP of the other thread though, so it's okay.
>>
>>61733139
No, that's not surprising at all. That's just PEBCAK
>>
Since upgrading to systemd-234,x-systemd.automount no longer seems to be recognized. I boot my system and then attempt to login to tty1 as root,but after entering the password,it just hangs there for a good minute before i get interactivity back.Checking dmesg the last entry is it failing to load a mountpoint(which i manually mount).Furthermore,commenting out the drive in question from fstab returns it to expected functionality upon a reboot.
I looked and didnt see anything pertaining to 234 or 233 with the x-systemd.automount option.
>>
>>61734526
If you manually mount it, why is it in fstab?
>>
No matter how many times i set an option in the kernel config curses menu,it is never honored during the compilation. Countless times i have set certain configs but upon booting ,they are not here.
The configs are set properly in config.x86 but they dont fucking enable when i compile.
What the fuck.
>>
>>61734595
So i dont have to type out 200 char worth of mount settings on it,also crypto.
It has not been a problem for over 7 years that i've had this same disk and same setup.
>>
>>61734628
keep calm and blame gnu
>>
>>61734628
The init process change them.
>>
>>61734852
What?
>>
>>61734628
Are you actually moving the compiled kernel to /boot?
>>
>>61734900
Yes,there is only one kernel image to boot from in /boot
>>
>>61734919
What's the flags and what's your compile process
>>
>>61734919
>>61734900
what kernel are you talking about?
>>
>>61734996
The only one thats relevant to this thread

Now fuck off to >>>/g/fglt/
>>
>>61734985
wget 4.12 from kernel.org
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make localmodconfig
make nconfig
>set config options
make
make modules_install
cp images to /boot
mkinitcpio -p linux
>>
>>61734628
> config.x86
Shouldn't it be ./.config?
>>
>>61735072
Theres config.i686 and config.x86_64
>>
>>61735046
>wget
>make
>cp
back to >>>/g/fglt/ with you

also curl > wget
>>
>>61735159
I don't use any GNU programs. I use busybox wget, make and cp. Leave me alone.
>>
>>61735191
>pretending to use busybox
These programs aren't even covered by busybox.
>>
>>61735159
You stupid kid. You are just as bad as the GNU zealots shoving their agenda in everyone's faces. Your interjections are only shitting up the thread.
>>
>>61735574
>GNU is bad
ok kid
>>
>>61735609
I said gnu zealots who constantly interject, not gnu projects. Learn to read you memed brainlet.
>>
>>61735677
If GNU is fine, why creating a GNU hate thread?
>inb4 it's not a hate thread
so /fglt/ was fine?
>>
I noticed sometimes people post pics with their questions because they think that will help them get replies. Can someone post dump these interesting pictures?
>>
>>61735818
FUCK OFF
JESUS CHRIST
STOP POSTING
GO TO >>/b/
>>
>>61735697
>so /fglt/ was fine?
People are angry, angry because they read everywhere its just Linux and then some people come along and ask them to call the system GNU/Linux and tell them that software freedom matters and that the GNU project is the root of all this, which makes them uncomfortable.
>How dare them to FORCE me to call Linux GNU/Linux?
>How dare them to remind us of our roots?
>How dare them to warn us about problems with proprietary software?
>Fuck these guys.

So, what do? Remove the source of the problem: GNU, RMS, FSF, everything which is related to inconvienent thoughts. thoughts about free software are titled "political agenda which belongs to pol", and RMS, the guy who pretty much made our community a things gets called a pedophile and communist.

And all this in order to not being wrong about terminology. Because it's just Linux. Because you can Linux without GNU.
>HAHAHA!
>>
>>61735888
Linux isn't about software freedom and never has been. It's about open source development and serious business, not some ideology stuff.
>>
>>61735888
>which makes them uncomfortable
No, it them say repeatedly that they are awayre of your agenda and don't give a shit but you refuse to understand that some people can dare have different opinions than you.
Autistic people often have trouble empathising with people but that doesn't excuse you.
>>
Ignore gnu posts, dont take the bait, you're just giving in to the politics that rms thrives on, you're basically sucking his dick when you repsond to gnu posts.

Be like Linus.
>>
>>61735999
yeah, the kernel, no reason to force this careless crap on the whole free software community
>>
When ever i use backspace,insert,delete,home,end,pgup,pgdwn it inserts a "~" instead of doing the intended key.
What the hells could cause this?
>>
Right now I'm on a bloated un-activated Windows 10 version. so i'm running full spyware.

i'm considered atleast fixing my laptop and getting ubuntu. What's telemetry like on that OS? I had Arch linux for a few months but went back when it had a bunch of incompatible drivers/software that I needed for my computer science studies.
>>
File: based linus.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
based linus.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
>>61736614
>>61735999
>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds
>>
>>61736788
tux_hunting_season_winners.jpg
>>
>>61736777
It's certainly better than w10. Most of it can be disabled, like the amazon ads, if they're still there
>>
>>61736847
What about Arch Linux. Is that completely telemetry free?
>>
>>61736857
Depends on what packages you install. Repos are fine, check PKGBUILDs if you want to use AUR. You generally have to put everything manually so there's an increased degree of control.
>>
>>61736857
Sadly Arch Linux uses GNU software. Look into Alpine instead. It's lightweight like Arch and GNU-free.
>>
>>61736884
Thanks for the tip.

>>61736904
GNU software. Excuse me for my noviceness, but isn't that 'free software'?
>>
>>61736904
Arch can be configured to not use coreutils(busybox),gcc(musl c) and gcc(clang)
I would suggest getting rid of systemd while you're at it(openrc)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGVdCGxh1IY
>>
>>61737307
10/10
>>
Enlighten me on these new distros that I am not familiar with please friends;
Alpine, Void, Source Mage
they all look interesting
>>
>>61737396
Sadly Void and Source Mage use GNU software. Alpine is a fine distro, try it!
>>
>>61737413
>Sadly
Why?
>>
>>61737461
Ignore them. They are just trying to false flag this thread via an argument to absurdity.
>>
>>61737413
You can replace GNU on both, Void and Source Mage. On Void it's actually easy, half of the tree is already musl based. Source Marge is customizable like all source-based Linux distros.
>>
>>61737413
>>61737461
>>61737492
>>61737613
Thanks guys but I get the general idea of the distros I was just looking for some personal opinions and if they're worth installing. I have a ton of experience with linux going back almost a decade now so I'm comfortable using shit like arch/gentoo.
Is there anything worth the time in those three distros? Void in particular looks really cool
>>
>>61736948
>>61737461
GNU is restrictive software trolling you with """Freedom""" buzzwords, spreading the GPL communism. Linux is about freedom of choice, and GNU+GPL tries to deny us that freedom.
>>
>>61737633
now that's completly absurd, the only "restriction" the gpl imposes on others is that the software must kept free, how does that deny you any freedoms?
>inb4 being a slave or turing others into slaves by turning free software into proprietary software is "true freedom"
just stop, everyone of you, it isn't remotly funny anymore
>>
>>61737633
I understand what you mean but I have come across a situation where my personal freedoms where restrained by using GPL software. There was this one time where I wanted to use some GPL software at work for a proprietary project but I just added a udp-over-loopback proxy too it. And it was way less restrictive than the licenses for proprietary software we were also dealing with. If you really wan't to make a difference why don't you start a free software consulting company and approach CTO's in your local area ptiching permissively licensed software to as an alternative to proprietary software and with yourself on retainer as an alternative to propietary companie's customer support. Because those are the only people affected.
>>
>>61737686
>Free
But yet im not free to do as i wish with MY software.
>>
>>61737686
>how does that deny you any freedoms
By not letting you sell the software without also distributing the source. Are you stupid? You can claim that mandating derived software be under the same license is "better" than letting people do whatever they want but if you seriously think that is restricting people's freedoms then you are very stupid.
>>
well, OP, I guess i've been balls deep into linux for several years now
>>
>>61737686
>>61737746
the gpl doesn't restrict you in any way about what you do with YOUR software
you're free to turn YOUR program into proprietary software whenever you wish; you're the copyright holder
>>
>>61737735
>haven't come across
>>61737751
> isn't restricting people's freedoms
>>
>>61737751
>By not letting you sell the software without also distributing the source. Are you stupid?
it seems you're new to the concept of free software so let me explain: it's about keeping the software free for everyone
>>
>>61737686
Just stop bumping this shit thread .
>>
>>61737396
>Alpine
Great for containers, hardened by default and other things

>Void
How Arch should've been, perfection

>Source Mage
Gentoo with a taste of RP and mistery
>>
>>61737797
people spread complete BULLSHIT and DISINFORMATION, at least for the beginners who don't know what is going on, a bit INFORMATION is important
>>
reminder that you are posting in an illegal thread.
>>
>>61737815
Thanks, going to install void on my laptop tomorrow and try it out. It only has 4gb of ram until I get around to throwing another DIMM in it so light distros are good.
>>
>>61737758
As long as i give up the source code. Which is a HUGE RISK for a developer.GPL only favors THE USERS, not the developers.
Its MY code, i created it, you didnt, you have no rights to my code, in any form.
GPL says you have to give everything and your pay check to the gpl cause gpl users are lazy peice of shit who want everything for free(communist)
>>
>>61737832
Why dont you go use HURD?
Oh, wait...
>>
What's the difference between bash and terminal?
And what is bash, exactly?
>>
File: this thread.png (49KB, 1200x429px) Image search: [Google]
this thread.png
49KB, 1200x429px
>guys brick your perfectly fine distros by replacing the usual parts with these gnu-free programs because it's better for you
>gpl is a freedom denying license
>developing proprietary software is a good thing! fuck the gpl cancer!
>distributing software with source code is a HUGE RISK
>>
>>61738032
bash is a shell(Consider using zsh,fish,dash,busybox ash in place of bash)
terminal is where you load a shell so you have access to your system
>>
I installed MATLAB 2017a Unix and it runs fine.
The only problem I have with is to open it. The file is /usr/local/MATLAB/R2017a/bin/matlab and I can either go there or run it in terminal.
How can I create a shortcut in the desktop that doesn't need a terminal open to be used?

I managed to create one who itself launches a terminal window and if I close the terminal, MATLAB closes too.
>>
>>61738088
Install a launcher(dmenu2),write the script to open it then put it in your $PATH then use the launcher keybind and run the script
>>
How's Fedora for basic stuff? And how does it behave with secureboot?
>>
>>61738088
Type the command in and then use && disown at the end.
>>
>>61738082
>>61738098
could you please hit the space bar?
it triggers my autism
>>
>>61738103
I was a chronic distro hopper until I landed on fedora a year ago. I can't speak for secureboot, though.
>>
>>61738147
,No
>>
I like all my xfce software, but I'd like to try out (note, try out, reversibly) a tiling wm. How would I go about getting, say, i3 to work with the least amount of fucking up and fiddling possible?
>>
File: 1501817281026.png (34KB, 380x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501817281026.png
34KB, 380x320px
reminder
>>
>>61738164
Just install i3. That's literally it.
Try awesome if you like lua/don't like i3.
>>
>>61738164
Install it
If you use a login manager check for it on the login page.
Otherwise put it at the bottom of your xinitrc and comment your xfce line
>>
File: 1497550119483.jpg (38KB, 744x634px) Image search: [Google]
1497550119483.jpg
38KB, 744x634px
>>61738177
>>
>>61738177
>his distro uses kde AND gnome
>gnome not included with gnu
>firefox and jave is part of the os
nice meme
>>
>>61738218
GNOME does not come preinstalled on my system
>>
>>61738241
Does the graphic claim that?
>>
>>61738247
Graphics such as this, and the one that will be posted opposite of this one,>>61738177 include GNOME as part of if
>>
>>61738254
Maybe you should open your eyes and check the graphic again.
>>
>>61738218
You can replace all GNU parts on Debian with software not developed by the FSF.
>>
>>61738305
You can replace all Firefox parts on Debian with Google Chrome. (I wouldn't recommend it tho)
>>
Ahem,
Android
Thank you
>>
>>61738305
>software not developed by the FSF.
The FSF is a foundation about free software. The GNU system is developed by the GNU project.
>>61738218
>>61738177
>How many Windows software must be in Windows so Windows is Windows?
>>
>>61738152
How is it as an everyday distro? Is wayland any good?
>>
>>61738441
Wayland is garbage and MIGHT be useable in 20 years.There is nothing wrong with X11 its just meme FUD
>>
>>61738448
What's the issue?
>>
>>61733983
harsh. is there more of this?
>>
Reminder for anyone doing serious heavy work on Linux - you can do your serious number crunching on a colocated server or some other headless machine in a well-cooled room far away from you, and use SSH to run it remotely, or something like TurboVNC, X2go, or XRDP for graphical workloads. This will let you avoid the "housefire laptop" or "wind tunnel desktop" problem of trying to do too much locally. This is especially important in the summer if you don't have central air conditioning, since a high end PC or server throws off all kinds of heat.
>>
>>61738448
>There is nothing wrong with X11
Apart from securing an untrusted X11 app is very difficult.
>>
>>61739113
>far away from you
Not too far away from you unless you want to be frustrated by an unresponsive shell.
>>
Hi.
in your opinion, it is worth it the added complexity of "Predictable Network Interface Names" ?
the old naming scheme (eth0, eth1..) was so much simpler and predictable if you don't connect/disconnect network cards all the time (and who does that anyway)
>>
>>61739545
For my desktop: NOPE. It doesn't even help with network things I use dynamically like wifi dongles and usb-tethering. Especially with that udev persistent-net.rules thing. Which solves the one of the two complaints that it is supposed to solve (arbitrarily enumerated devices and race conditions with kernel vs udev naming (is that even a thing?))
I'm pretty sure systemd is being developed for automatically managed servers or something like on-demand VMs.
>>
>>61739545
>"Predictable Network Interface Names"
Is that what it is? I don't find anything predictable or named about "enp2s0". This shit gets worse every year.
>>
>>61733827
i'm back again, went to sleep and all that
anyway, to do gpt without efi, just;
1. boot your efi machine in bios/legacy mode
2. you need at least two partitions, one for root, and a ~2MiB "grub bios boot partition", which is type EF02 (just set the type, grub knows what to do)
3. continue installing and install grub as if it was a bios machine, that's it

keep in mind you still need a non-f2fs /boot if you're using an unpatched grub!
so you're probably looking at;
1; type EF02, 2MiB, no format or mountpoint
2; ext4, /boot
3; f2fs, /
>>
>>61738218
>debian sarge
linux (kernel) is way bigger now than it was then
>>
>>61740535
Sorry should have mentioned this machine isn't EFI, it's a BIOS-based machine (Dell Vostro 3300) as standard (I think, at least I've never seen any EFI shit going on like I have on my other HP-shit laptop), and what I was talking about was only to install it on ext4 without the stupid /boot/efi crap that the Ubuntu wiki seems to enforce. But if I can still do F2FS, then I'm still on board.

So just so I understand, I set up
1. A ~2mb grub partition with type EF02 (no format and then let grub do it's stuff)
2. A ext4 /boot partition (usual size so 128mb)
3. / F2FS partition

Would I be able to do this on a fresh install, so if I start the Ubuntu installer on the drive now and just delete what's there, apt install f2fs-tools, create those partitions in gparted and hopefully it just fucking werks? If I can still get F2FS on this drive with Ubuntu LTS that would make me pretty happy. Gonna do this when I come back in a couple of hours, I have to go out and my mind wouldn't be focused enough.

Dumb question, where do you learn all this from? You are one of the few who really knows their stuff. Any specific wiki I should be reading? I normally do use a combination of the Gentoo,Arch and Ubuntu wikis , plus forums and anything else that comes up in googling.
This was the one time that the subject was not really well documented anywhere so I've been flying blind and just breaking shit repeatedly like a retard.
>>
>>61741193
if your machine isn't EFI, then no wonder you can't get anything working, the fat32 efi partition is only for EFI machines, it does nothing on a non-efi bios
yea, those are the right steps

>where do you learn all this from?
trial, and error, and reading
the key is to look into anything you don't understand, don't just follow steps exactly as they're written, you won't learn anything that way
>>
>>61739777

I bet you also think UUIDs for hard drives are a bad idea because they're not predictable and specific enough.
>>
>>61741242
The only reason I had the EFI partition set up like that was to cater for the GPT drive, GPT drives don't play well with MBR, at least when I tried to install without EFI it wouldn't recognize the drive. With EFI, it did just werk. All the problems only started when I wanted to try F2FS, I think because it's too far off the beaten path (and mainly because the toolset support is flaky as hell). In a separate point (which I am going to submit a report about to Canonical on launchpad because shits just broken) I set up a USB drive with F2FS (obviously had to install f2fs-tools and use gparted) and it just doesn't get recognized in Ubuntu 16.04.3 now which is crazy because this is using kernel 4.10 and supposedly F2FS support has been a thing since kernel 3.8. I think Ubuntu are fucking things up with having their own kernel etc.

Will try that in a bit and report back, thanks again man.
>>
>>61741281
Life was good when men were men(male), network was eth0, and storage was hda
>>
Do any of those multiple-distro-on-one-USB installers actually work?.
>>
>>61741281
>UUIDs for hard drives
You mean how /dev/sda is now /dev/<uuid>? Oh wait, it isn't. /dev/sda is still dev sda and /dev/block/by-uuid is available if you want to be more precise. Same as /dev/block/by-path which is the same shit as the predictable naming mess says except it doesn't shove it in you face.
>>
>>61741959

>whaaaaa why do they do something i dont like? why don't they cater to my needs whaaa

If you don't like it, turn it off.
If you don't like it by default, write your own version. Not that you can, because you're an idiot who just wants everything to work according to his baby-duck syndrome.
You must also be an idiot if you think people introduce new things just for the sake of introducing them.
>>
>>61739303
>Apart from securing an untrusted X11 app is very difficult.
Another Freedesktop lie. Look up Firejail.
>>
>>61742213

I don't know much about Firefjail or X, but are you saying that Firejail can prevent the mots common problem of programs reading input that other programs recieve? As in, hijacking your keyboard for example?
How does it do that, if that's an underlying X problem?
>>
File: 1.png (333KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
333KB, 600x600px
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux, and pajeets can't do shit about that.
>>
Is there another way to adjust gamma on Ubuntu 16.04 other than xgamma?
xgamma needs to always be re-applied at the beginning of each startup. Is there a method that is saved and doesn't need to be re-applied?
>>
>>61742293
It does this kind of sandboxing through nested X servers.
There's a full list of features here in case you're interested: https://firejail.wordpress.com/features-3/
>>
>>61742021
You moron. You replied to a post replying to a post comparing shitty internet device names with fs UUIDs which are not used the same way at all. It was a shitty comparison and the post you replied to said nothing about not liking things or thinking that people "introduce new things just for the sake of introducing them".
I would like to claim you were attempting a straw man argument but I think you just have poor reading comprehension.
>>
>>61742213
>says there is nothing wrong with X
>posts a round-about, nested, bolted together 3rd party work-around
>Another Freedesktop lie
Dude. I use X11 and am not planning on moving to wayland for the forseeable future but that is some knee-jerk fanatacism right there. To say that something isn't true and someone who says it is some boogeyman just because it says something you like isn't perfect? Nothing is perfect. Even qmail which has no bugs isn't perfect because it also has barely any users.
>>
>>61737307
Send it to Stallman
>>
I recently installed debian with xfce and gnome

Didnt like gnome so I deleted it and kept xfce

However network manager wouldn't connect me to the internet. I never understood networking much, but then I went to the debian website and followed their guide and installed wicd and then my connection just worked like magic.

However before I went to the website I tried to solve it through CLI and editing text files but I was unable due to following:

If I for instance did IFUP on a certain device (like lo and eth0) I would get back that the connection was not recognized or some equivalent message.

After I installed wicd it worked and none of the text files were modified. How can I better understand this issue?
>>
File: 1499119808133.gif (469KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1499119808133.gif
469KB, 500x375px
>>
>>61742907
I totally get what you mean, my dude. We should not use a security solution that's available right now. No no no. Let's wait until a perfect thing written from ground up with maximum polish just appears out of thin air.
>>
>>61743698
>using GNU software
>>
Why don't we rewrite the GNU corelibs?
>>
>>61747512
because busybox exists, no need for gnu
>>
>>61738177
So what is the best KDE/Kernel distribution?
>>
>>61747512
>libs
>>61747676
>utils

fucking brainlets learn2computer
>>
>>61748615
install alpine linux
>>
>>61747512
>rewrite coreutils
>break thousands of bashscripts on every corner case imaginable
good luck
>>
>>61748698
>using bloated gnu bash shell
>not using superior zsh
found the guy who never uses his terminal
>>
>>61748718
bloated? Doesn't zsh have MORE features than bash?
>>
>>61748698
busybox sh just works, noone needs bash
>>
>>61748786
I didn't mean the shell, you could just keep bash around and use it for those. I meant coreutils. Every script that copies files, greps for something, moves files, rsyncs, sorts, find, xargs, every single rewritten coreutil and common util would need to give the exact same output to the same input. Each one would have a new chance to break a thousand scripts that rely on it.

Completely unworkable idea, not to mention not worth the effort even if it were.
>>
>>61748922
bash is not standard
POSIX is standard, thats all you need
>>
What is this? I've watched it over the past month and it is never more then 1% full
tmpfs                  1.6G   16K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
>>
>>61748740
Let's just say the complete zsh manual is over three hundred pages long.
>>
If a package that I can normally install in Ubuntu isn't available during a live session, what could I enable to get it to work?
The package it isn't finding in a live session is f2fs-tools
>>
File: Torvalds Linux.png (184KB, 650x700px) Image search: [Google]
Torvalds Linux.png
184KB, 650x700px
>>61733062
>>
>>61750159
If anything, Linux is the chair and GNU is a sewn cushion tied onto it.
>>
File: 1501960060290.jpg (195KB, 902x762px) Image search: [Google]
1501960060290.jpg
195KB, 902x762px
>>61750159
>>
>>61750148
You shouldn't use that SJW Debian clone Ubuntu in the first place. Get a professional distro like Alpine.
>>
>>61750159
I call it Wickes because Wickes is the company that made the file I needed for the legs and the glue I used to attach it to the other components of the chair.
>>
>>61750209
>Debian

>Not SJW

>Uses systemd.
>>
>>61750159
GNU never produced a complete working system and wasn't even close.
Linux distributions were always people adding together unrelated components.
GNU is a decade older than Linux, and in the olden days some people use to install GNU utilities to, say, Solaris as an add-on, but that doesn't make it GNU/Solaris.
This settles the question for me.
>>
>>61750249
>systemd
yet another crap which is forced on everyone, guess why? GPL
>>
>>61750209
Thanks I just enabled all the sources and it worked. I also think your attitude is counterproductive.
Though I do feel if the GNUfags hadn't started this shit we wouldn't be at this point, so carry on as you were.

They really should have just left us alone when it was called /flt/ and got along with us instead of trying to force their crap here. No one likes being told what to think or do.
>>
>>61750274
Are you mentally retarded? Yes, you are.
No one forces you to use systemd, just install Devuan, Gentoo, Alpine, Void, or some other systemd-less distro.
And what the fuck does GPL to do with anything? Did GPL touch you in an inappropriate place?
>>
so it looks like that flash isn't supported anymore on linux, how can I play my .swf now?
>>
>>61750274
I think the GPL is stupid. In the GNU wiki license is stupid. I can't copy paste code from a wiki without having to put a copy of the GNU wiki license in there.
>>
>>61733098
you should read up on wine, and why it is not possible to port things to wayland.
>>
>>61750274
GPL has nothing to do with systemd's ubiquity. That was just marketing and optimism.
>>
>>61750346
lol
I'll have to stop playing games or just set up a dual-boot for Debian + Wine.
>>
>>61750300
Both Chromium and Firefox have flash plugins on Linux.
>>
>>61750296
>>61750372
GPL forces a stupid agenda on everyone and when you use the GPL, you cant combine actual FREE software with the GPL because of their restrictions
thats why systemd is popular, its hard to replace it, because problematic licensing
>>
>>61748786
ash fucking sucks. Try actually using it for a day and feel your frustration rise.
>>
>>61748922
Alpine is LITERALLY doing this RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

>B-B-B-BUT UN POSSIBLE
>>
>>61750437
i use it daily on android, why shouldnt it work on linux? its the most reliable shell available, even docker containers use it
>>
>>61750429
> systemd is popular because it's hard to replace it ... Because of the gpl
It must be nice to have such a simple view of the world where everything bad is the fault of one group. Are you from /pol/?
That literally isn't why systemd is popular. You are just spreading FUD you shitposter.
Also systemd has been around long enough for with people to try to replace it for it said to be "hard" to replace. Because it isn't.
>>
>>61750475
>android
You mean Linux
>>
>>61741242
>>61741331
Sorry man, I should've asked earlier but do I need something like fdisk if I want to switch partition types to grub etc?
I don't mind fdisk really, have used it in the past but it's one of those things I always get rusty on and would prefer not to use unless there was a simpler and tard-proof way.
>>
>>61750475
No-one said it doesn't work you little baby.
>>
>>61750553
>Are you from /pol/?
That's exactly where you GNU people need to go back to. All you've done is bring politics into a tech board and turn people against your shitty "movement". If we didn't loathe you before, we certainly do now. Ironically all you have achieved is total contempt for what you're trying to do. Even if you had good intentions (road to hell etc.) you have worn out your welcome long ago and should have heeded us when we told you we don't want politics or ideology in here. We asked nicely. Now things will go bad for you and your communist fucktards.
>>
Just installed Alpine on WSL. How to install i3-gaps? There isn't a package to install, do I need to compile it myself?
>>
>>61750623
>Just installed Alpine on WSL
Hahaha. Dude. What. Why.
>>
>>61750623
Yes,its not in the repo,only i3
Make a package and upload it
>>
>>61750651
I'm new to Linux. Pls no bully. Do you have a solution for my problem?
>>
>>61750671
How do I make a package?
>>
>>61750689
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Creating_an_Alpine_package
>>
>>61750623
>Just installed Alpine on WSL
why? get rid of that botnet and install it on bare metal, holy crap
>>
How to install archloonix on laptop if neither wifi nor wired connection work? Using realtek hardware
>>
>>61750729
>everything I don't like is botnet
>>>/g/fglt
>>
>>61733197
>Trisquel spinoff, but doesn't explain how it's different
>made by terrorists
>ancient version of GNOME (MATE) as default desktop
>name sounds like a phlegmy cough

It's free as in autism.
>>
>>61750429
Dumb as a brick, yet somehow manages to operate a computer and shitpost on /g/.
>>
>>61750675
yeah what this dude said >>61750729
honestly you should never admit that you use windows in any context on /g/, that's just dumb.

using windows and asking for tech support is like shoving a dragon dildo in your ass and then complaining that your ass is bleeding.
>>
>>61735888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE

The rational and mentally stable founder of the GNU project.
>>
>>61750738
>archloonix
its time to wake up
arch is nothing but a joke tody
the autism makes them trying to be "bleeding edge" without knowing what they are doing, breaking backwards compatibility and you need to babysit your os so it doesnt break when you upgrad after some weeks without updating
arch calls itself "lightweight and simple" but they implement systemd, even when the community is against it
"you can build your system from ground up", and then you are faced with a bloated kernel, systemd and the usual gnu crap

tl;dr arch is a joke
go alpine or gentoo if you actually want what arch is promising
>>
File: 1487823126951.png (958KB, 1439x809px) Image search: [Google]
1487823126951.png
958KB, 1439x809px
Hi everyone.
Just wiped my Dell Inspirion, took off windows 10, and installed Xubuntu.
What do now?
I'm super new to this and have read only the sticky.
>>
>>61750855
>>>/g/fglt
This is a friendly thread. We don't call people out for which software they are using.
>>
>>61750894
now do things with it, make your life happy with the power of a free operating system
i recommend going to >>>/t/769497 , getting some free linux-compatible vidya and playing them
>>
>>61750894
feel free to learn on xubuntu, it does that job pretty well, but when you're experienced enough, you should switch to a non-gnu distro
>>
I've tried Linux Mint on my x201 and I like it. Any other easy distros you nigs can recommend?
>>
>>61750894
Learn to use the command line.
Get the free PDF: http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>61750981
Alpine Linux
>>
>>61750981
Fedora and OpenSUSE
>>
>>61750980
Dude, come on. I'm actually OP. I think it's okay to use *Ubuntus because they are convenient, they're recommended for good reason in the OP links. Use what's right for the purpose, for most purposes, but keep the ideological shit out of it. Let's try and be pragmatic, leave the dogmatic crap to /faglet/.
>>
File: 1418777404888.jpg (21KB, 316x276px) Image search: [Google]
1418777404888.jpg
21KB, 316x276px
>>61750999
>>61751009
Thanks. I'll give them a shot
>>
>>61750894
What do you normally do with your computer?
>>
>>61751087
Download uncensored jav
>>
File: 1405827108247.jpg (24KB, 472x404px) Image search: [Google]
1405827108247.jpg
24KB, 472x404px
>>61750949
Thanks! I'll check that thread out. I'm new to /g/ as well; typically been tackling hobbies one at a time. Started with /fit/+/lit/ then /ck/ and now /g/
>>61750980
I don't know the difference but I will read up!!!
>>61750986
thank you!!
>>61751087
Well, the laptop which is the one I put Xubuntu on will be primarily for school work. I don't do too much besides that and browsing the net but after looking at some awesome threads on /wg/ and despising slow clunky windows 10 I wanted to try out Linux. That said any productivity software you recommend? Maybe a music/video player, a PDF/ebook reader that'll let me highlight and annotate notes, something to take screencaps like Gyazo, and whatever else you think I can make use of!
This stuff seems fun and I'm excited to learn bit by bit.
>>
>>61751178
I tend to prefer simple tools. I use zathura for PDFs. I think Xournal can be used to annotate PDFs.

mpv is a great media player, but I only use it for videos or to listen to single audio files. For playlists of music, I like xmms2 or MPD. They both run as daemons and have various frontends you can use.

scrot is an easy way to take screenshots.
>>
Hi /g/oys
I need some advices
I want to abandon win10
And im choosing between:
Alpine Linux
Manjaro
OpenSUSE
Xubuntu
What distro do i take and what are differences between this distros?
>>
>>61750609
> you GNU people
What, in the post you replied to, implies that the author is a fan of the gnu project?
>>
>>61751314
Ubuntu is for noobs, just use that.
>>
We're winning guys
>>61751194
They're losing it. It took us 2 days to beat these faggots back into /pol/ where they belong.
>>61751323
The fact that you're defending the GPL, i.e. bringing politics into a tech board. We don't want you here so go back to /pol/. Read the OP, I made a change specifically for turds like you.
>>
>>61751383
>they are pol
wait what, why would stallmanites be pol?
is it just pol false flags?
>>
>>61751463
Because they're interested in discussing politics and ideology. We're here to discuss tech. Simple difference. They don't belong here, neither does their thread. Neither does the fucking /g/ sticky image for that matter. They all need to get out, we are taking /g/ back.
>>
How do people get those pretty pictures in their terminals?
Any way to have mine like that by default?
I know someone posted something like git.io/pizzza
How to get those? Where to find the list?
>>
>>61751314
The *buntu variants are easy for beginners. I recommend Lubuntu over Xubuntu, though, unless you're set on using Xfce for some reason.

>Alpine
minimalist, uses the (now unsupported) grsecurity kernel patches, if you're new to Linux, you will run into a lot of frustration with this distro

>Manjaro
Based on Arch.

>OpenSUSE
The community/feeder distro for SUSE Enterprise Linux, kind of like how Fedora is a testbed for RedHat. It's fine, but I see no compelling reason to use it over *buntu.
>>
>>61751503
you talk an awful lot like pol, wanting to get rid of the jew on the sticky would be something they would want too.
>>
>>61751530
I'm not here to defend jews, I couldn't give a shit about them or their fake holocaust, if I sound like /pol/ that's merely incidental, you mistake me for someone who wants ideological crap on a tech board. Once you understand that that's not what we're about, you'll understand the only correct place for you and the fucker who won't remove the sticky image is /pol/, not /g/.
>>
New thread, this one is dying

>>61733071
>>61733071
>>61733071
>>
>>61751628
Ignore gnu posts
>>
>>61751356
>>61751511
Thanks
>>
This thread is perfectly fine.
>>61733062
>>61733062
>>61733062
>>
>>61751575
acting even more like pol when you want to erase and mold history to fit their point of view. and that is not even getting into the holocaust shit.
and so called ''ideological crap'', is what let linux succeed. so maybe someone's priorities are not in order.
http://www.cio.com/article/3112582/linux/linus-torvalds-says-gpl-was-defining-factor-in-linuxs-success.html
>>
>>61751383
> defending gpl
What? All I said is that it isn't responsible for systemd's popularity. Which is true. What are the other init systems licensed as?
>>
>>61751658
>erase and mold history
huh? point out where I did that? the ones who want to erase history are /faglet/, we were here first, that's been proven to you. you should have just packed your bags at that point and left.
why are you still here? why?
>>
>>61751702
Stick to technology discussions please.
>>
>>61751669
sysvinit and upstart are GPL.
openrc is 2-clause BSD.
I think runit is permissively licensed.
>>
>>61751739
>starts an ideological discussion
>gets rekt
>"let's discuss tech now please"
GNU, everyone. Bravo.
>>
>>61750891

>memes i learned on g: the post

First of all, you're a fucking retard.
Secondly, there's no point in telling you why your'e retarded since you wouldn't understand,.
>>
>>61751769
> there are only two anons
>>
File: 1471702024927.jpg (92KB, 864x594px) Image search: [Google]
1471702024927.jpg
92KB, 864x594px
To anyone searching for actual help and friendly answers beyond "yo brick your system by removing the evil GNU", we have a friendly thread over here: >>61733062
Everyone is welcome, but please no hatered or /pol/ crap!
>>
>>61751928
Whoops, correct link:
>>61751754
>>61751754
>>
>>61751839
He's right about one thing. Arch is a joke. Not only today but always.
>>
>>61733062
Hello,
I've tried linux since i was 10, with some weird stuff like 9 cd AUROX installations. Sadly, im idiot and every time i tried installing something, was usually ending up wiping my OS drive completely with aprtitions that i wanted to save, and re-installing windows. I've found on my stuff an old VAIO laptop (the small one, P series with 1600 x 768 screen) withborked windows vista system that went haywire killing small fauna, and started installing ubntu there. I can see that since last time i've tried, things changed and its much more friendly and less autistic. Ignoring the fact that i needed to go back 5 times between screens of instalation to enable INSTALL button, everything is going smoothly. ANy tips for linux newbie? I've used some CLI unix systems on raspberry pi before as i make small electronics gadgets as hobby, so i at least know what apt-get is.
>>
>>61752173
>ANy tips for linux newbie?
Use Ubuntu if you want to just get shit done like most people. If you have a lot of time to waste then install gentoo or debian if your computer is too slow to compile an entire fucking OS in less than a week.
>>
Not that it really matters since we already have proof of being here way before the GNU turds, but here is further proof with an earlier thread than the one I posted previously

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412

https://rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
>>
I'm somewhat familiar with ubuntu server from work and want to switch to using it as my laptop OS from windows 10.

How hard is it to install Ubuntu Minimal and create a usable system with a WM but no DE?
>>
>>61752342
Also this isn't exactly easy to verify but this guy owning this site has a timestamp of June 2015

https://nix.neocities.org/
>>
>>61752278
I have my windows machine for work, and its not going to change, i'd liek to use this small laptop for casual shit like e-mails, youtube, maybe some programming. Im not huge fan of installing OSes from sources, i dont despite people who like this, but for me its waste of time.
>>
>>61752402
I keep meaning to try this but never get around to it. From what some anons told me, you basically select the WM and let the installer work out the rest. I think you may need to install Xorg-minimal specifically though. I had some instructions copied down but it will take ages to find them.
Debian netinst might be better suited to this task btw.
>>
>>61752431
then Ubuntu is fine, as long as your laptop isn't *too* small
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>61752458
pic related, photo from net, but there is hand for comparison. I have no problem VNCing / synerging my wokrstation mouse/KB to it tho.
>>
24 June 2015

I found it guys. The first ever Friendly Linux Thread.

https://rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055
>>
>>61752512
You could recommend lubuntu too
>>
>>61752512
you might be better off with android x86, not even kidding. or something like Lubuntu which is meant for netbooks.
Ubuntu vanilla might not run too well on that. Looks aesthetic as fuck though. And I want one.
>>
>>61752519
>LINUX/UNIX
lmao, so macfags are welcome?
>>
>>61752436
I'll look into Debian netinst before attempting the ubuntu minimal install.

Just looking to avoid a lot of headaches but get a stripped down, de-bloated linux experience for doing basic stuff on
>>
>>61752584
Yes. We don't exclude people, unlike GNUtards.
>>
>>61752600
>creates a thread in order to exclude a part of the community: GNUtards
>claims "we don't exclude people, unlike GNUtards"
literally what, seriously, seek help
>>
>>61752584
Why wouldn't they be? What's the point of excluding them? Unless they try and push their gay pride shit on me, they can post here, idgaf.
>>61752628
lol
You dodge the whole notion that we were here long before you and say *we* are excluding *you*? When we've only been saying all along that the reason we're pissed at you is because you can't stop with the ideological talk?
Really? Fucking really? Did you not imagine there would be a backlash at your stupid fucking 'I'd like to interject' trolling bullshit?
>>
>>61752671
>backlash
>just one autist larping as someone who actually cares about this, along with little helpers
that's cute, lets see who will win out. waiting you out should be easy enough, there is always some other thread to raid, and attention span is fleeting.
>>
Friendly reminder.
Ignore gnu thread.
Ignore gnu posts.

/GNU\/Linux/i;boards:g
/GNU+Linux/i;boards:g
/gnu/i;boards:g
/fglt/i;boards:g
>>
>>61752671
>we
Who do you think you are, the queen?
>>
Could you guys, recommend me a Linux-distro without GNU, and not compiled on GCC? Thanks.
>>
>>61752671
>You dodge the whole notion that we were here long before you and say *we* are excluding *you*?
Are you implying that adding GNU to the title excluded someone?
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 276x183px
>>61752765
>>
File: 1499970644256.png (1B, 486x500px)
1499970644256.png
1B, 486x500px
>>61752628
this
>>
File: 1501973420.png (49KB, 797x537px) Image search: [Google]
1501973420.png
49KB, 797x537px
its been a long time since Ive seen friendly linux thread
its a welcomed sight
I felt it was hijacked by fanatics
>>
>>61752819
More that it added a layer of unnecessary bullshit that no one asked for.
>>
>>61752858
welcome back, anon.
>>
>>61752858
Gunna need to eccape that "/"
GNU\/Thread
>>
>>61752858
forgot to use a new ip to post this idiot.
>>
>>61752861
so you're attempting to EXCLUDE it? lol, ok
>>
File: 1494467291138.gif (787KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1494467291138.gif
787KB, 224x224px
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
>>
>>61752819
Don't be facetious. It isn't just about a thread title.
The constant interjections over nomenclature was pretty passive aggressive against anyone with a different opinion on the matter.
>>
>>61752956
Basically this.
>>
>>61733062
>http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
We should replace this and suggest using busybox sh/ash,dash,fish, or zsh.
>>
>>61752956
>>61752970
and so you think the thread and community as a whole should take a stance against the actions of a few individuals?

Sounds pretty ideological to me. The mere existence of GNU in the title is an innocent target that you're using to make an ideological point. Which is funny because the very act of doing that is exactly counter to the point you're trying to make.
>>
>>61753011
RMS and GNU is the root of the community.
What's the point of bringing new people into the free software community, when when don't know how to defend it?
>>
>>61753032
s/when/they
>>
>>61753011
Yes to the first part.
WTF are you talking about to the second part. Yes "friendly" is an ideology that I have no issue with. I wasn't trying to make a point. I was explaining a point of view. Maybe you are confusing me with that screeching polfag currently shitting up the place.
>>
>>61753053
https://pastebin.com/RxbRRjzY
>>
>>61753047
My point is if your beef is with a few individuals then fucking take your battle to those individuals.

Make a /fGlt/ OP that says "hey you guys, quit fucking correcting us when we type Linux instead of GNU/Linux ok?"
Or report them for spam or something if you want.

If you're changing the title of the thread as if the entire community is supposed to get behind you in your fight against those individuals then you're being just as much of a faggot as they are.
>>
>>61733062
I think you guys should remove the "Friendly" part aswell. This thread isn't friendly. It's full of hate targeting a part of our community.
>>
>>61753212
But it's so friendly to subvert and destroy a community with condescending and unhelpful interject shit right?
>>
>>61753263
Ah, so this is what happens when someone takes a meme seriously.
>>
>>61733983
Holy shit is this real
>>
>>61753293
Don't worry then, all this /flt/ thing is just a meme too. Why are you crying so hard about a meme?
>>
>>61753212
You were equally vocal with your hatred.
You sparked this with your interjections and "DUUUUUUUUUHHHH ITS NOT LINUX IS GNUFUCK/LINUX" shitpost for no reason at all.
Now you have no ammo to shitpost your polictal views wiht,as it isnt a gnu thread anymore :^) And now you're mad and you'e lashing out like a good little stallmanite,given your lords multiple spergouts documented throughout history.
>>
Well nice discussion there retards, I can only imagine all the users readng this and thinking 'what the fuck if this is friendly linux thread i dont want to see normal thread, those raging virgins probably will stab me to death with usb type b plug'. You're all whats wrong with linux community, and dont even try to quoting me and saying GNOOO LINOOX because thats what im exactly taking about - you show yourself as a bunch of unmanly, unproffesional autistick dumbfuck children that can even behave yourself in one artifically created safe space where one person actually might want to ask few questions, but certainly will not because he'll see all your fuss about things that noone care about and will go straight to reinstalling windows and downloading free_taco_and_money.exe and still will end up better than relying of you people. Stay happy and good luck with your lifes.
>>
>>61753263
They were just friendly reminders
>>
>>61753314
I'm not though, the guy that has made his life a crusade against people who post the interject pasta is.
>>
File: stop_touching_my_linux.jpg (164KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
stop_touching_my_linux.jpg
164KB, 682x1024px
GNu fags should have really expected pushes like this
you can only be interjecting asshole for so long before the pushback

the best part is that GNU stagnates in to nothingness
it will die with that fat parrot fucking bastard
>>
>>61753372
>the best part is that GNU stagnates in to nothingness
>it will die with that fat parrot fucking bastard
lol this
>>
>>61753327
>opens a thread becUse he's angry at some i dividuals
>most of those individuals respond in a civilized way
>gets even more mad
>I'M OUT YOU'RE EVERYTHING THAT'S WRING WITH EVERYTHING

wew lad.
>>
>>61753372
>>61753386
Oh my. Is everyone on /flt/ so unreasonably hateful of an organization without which the operating system they still seem to care so much about wouldn't even exist today?

What a shameful display
>>
New thread by OP of this thread

>>61753436
>>61753436
>>61753436

Used the very 1st /flt/ image to distinguish from the threads made by the assmad GNU autist
>>
>>61753421
There is no part in my post where i've stated im mad. Im chill as fuck bro. I just laugh at any at all attempts of linux community of regaining its opinion as 'friendly' while all you do is tellign people to RTFM or argue with each other about some gay-ass thing that nobody except few idiots care about. And i've pointed out exactly what behaviours make this community silly for other people, so its not 'everything about everything' good sir.
>>
>>61753426
Linus would have used any of the other plethora of userlands avalible at the time.And he would have created the exact same Linux we have now

>gnutards fail to realize this the mopst
>>
>>61733062

Currently working on configuring and maintaining this post-de install arch/xfce for my desktop. Only thing is i have an external drive with steam games i wanna play and duel boot windows 10 for obvious reasons. I'm sure ill figure this out soon but any help is appreciated, I've become very wrapped in this stuff and came to /g/ to soak up anything related for that reason.
>>
New(Legit thread,the one with our founding fathers image)
>>61753436
>>61753436
>>61753436
>>
>>61753483
There was non at this time. You can be thankful for RMS to develop GNU, he even annoyed BSD people so much that they freed their OS (BSD was proprietary at this time).
>>
>>61753483
>would have created the exact same Linux we have now
You mean the userland?

Almost your entire experience with it IS the userland. Or have you just been sitting around all these years hotplugging hardware and masturbating over kernel hardware support?

But yeah, just screw the whole layer that defines almost everything you know about this operating system right? It's irrelevant and doesn't deserve our respect at all.
>>
>>61753496
If it's just for games, then I would say just go with the most supported option, that being Ubuntu LTS. Steam will just fucking werk on Ubuntu, plus drivers will be easily installed and set up for you. It's like VIP service for gaymans.
>>
>>61753199
> your beef
> take your battle to those individuals
Why don't you take your own advice. What part of
> Maybe you are confusing me with that screeching polfag currently shitting up the place.
Didn't you understand?
>>
>>61753547
thanks good too know ill try it out
>>
>>61753478
>There is no part in my post where i've stated im mad

No anon it's implied through your phrasing
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.