[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

make OS media from a Hard drive OS files

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: winme-scr-00.jpg (18KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
winme-scr-00.jpg
18KB, 540x400px
Hello,
found an old computer (celeron 700Mhz) with windows Me. I'd like to make a clean install with this OS. Is it possible to recover files from the hard drive to make an install media (cd or usb) ? and how ?

PS: same question with win 95/98
>>
OP, can you remind me of what year it is?
>>
>>61726249
Unlike the newer NT based Windows, WinME lackks the feature to create the Windows.old when you make a clean install on the same partition.

Just put use a LIVECD OS and boot if the current OS doesn't load (Since you obviously don't have PATA ports on your current rig I assume).
>>
>>61726302
well first thanks for answer. but i try to make a computer with game of middle of 90 to begin of 2000 era for nephews. As i said it's a celeron 700 Mhz, so i think it's a little to light for Win XP or emulate (WINE, DOSBox, ...). And for video games i have to use a windows OS
>>
>>61726387
Do you have a way to install Win 95/98/Me? I'd go with 98 SE if you're making something to game stuff from that era.

Also, get a live CD (burn a Linux distro, probably something like Lubuntu) and boot it up. You can use a file manager after its booted to copy the files to some other medium, like an external HDD or something.
>>
>>61726249
please install windows xp, or winxp pos 2009 if you want updates.Windows Me is shit
>>
>>61726483
i don't have win95/98. that's why i try to use the original OS of this computer.
>>to copy the files to some other medium
i agree with this but i didn't find explainations
on how to make a installation media of an OS installed (like it could be done with Win XP)
>>
>>61726249
You could just install another HDD and set the jumpers on the mobo so the new drive is the boot. You will need a ME bootdisk and/or a physical Windows 95/98 disk for verification.

If you can boot to ME now, and the PC has a working NIC you can setup networking and copy files from ME to a different computer. I've done it with Windows 7 to and from Windows ME.

ME isn't a complete shit OS, it's more stable than 98 for certain things. I'm using it personally for a DAW that uses old hardware for no lag.
>>
>>61726494
This.
XP was the last OS with DirectSound, DirectInput and the rest of the down to hardware connection.
Now it's all Xinput and Xaudio.
>>
OP, there is no way to make the installer out of the OS. However there are many places to download the old OSes.

Win 98se: winworldpc DOT com SLASH product SLASH windows-98
>>
>>61726621
Download the .iso, burn it to a CD-R. That's pretty much it. Then just put it in the drive and boot from it.

Get a USB pen drive, like the 8 or 16GB ones, and copy/paste the files you want to keep on to it while you're in Lubuntu.
>>
>>61726797
XP may require to much power furthermore i remember some compatibility issues with win 9X games era.
>>61726785
remember that CS crash less with Me than 98SE and mainly, when it happen, don't need to reboot as Win98.
>>61726838
>>there is no way to make the installer out of the OS.
thanks, it's a bad new for me, but now it free me to try this.

>>61726838
last, i found some places where Win98(SE) are suppose to be downloadable but never Me (probably due to bad reputation).
It's sad because in my memory i don't remember a so decry OS.
>>
>>61726494
>>61726797

Well yeah this is true, but as I said ME isn't worthless. It generally installed on obscure hardware better than 98. It also didn't have the RAM issue 98 had.

The OS also had it's own generic USB driver set, Windows Image Acquisition, and UPnP. Speaking of UPnP and USB, ME has no problems with most USB storage devices. It's drag and drop with no drivers to install for most any stick i've used.
>>
>>61726249
> and how ?
Copy install CD files to HDD
Boot from USB with DOS
cd C:\Distr\Winme
setup.exe
That's it.
>>
>>61726976
the limitation ?
>>
>>61726993
as said by >>61726838
it isn't possible
moreover >>Copy install CD files
ok but where are they and which are they.
it seem there is a way to make a bootable media of windows XP of installed OS from HDD. but it's way more difficult than copy-paste some files/directory
>>
>>61727143
Is there anything on the harddrive you actually need? Why not just do a fresh install?

Find an .iso or something of Windows ME and burn it to disc.
>>
>>61726976
>the RAM issue 98 had
what issue ?
>>
Use win2k instead, WinME is the buggiest OS
>>
>>61728708
windows 2000 as NT and XP don't have DOS.
>>
>>61726249
I did it once for Windows 98 (first edition)

if I recall correctly, the installation files (a bunch of cabs) were in the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

when I made the CD, I put the files in a folder named WIN98
I picked the options to make the CD bootable and used floppy emulation. I made a custom boot floppy (to load CD-ROM drivers) and used that, but if you don't know how to, you can get a bootable floppy images from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

if properly done, it should load the CD-ROM drivers in CONFIG.SYS (the one that usually works for ATAPI CD-ROMs is the oak driver), and runs mscdex.exe (you can edit the parameters if you want the drive to have a different letter).
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.