[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so little discussion about physx?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: NVIDIA-PhysX.png (51KB, 2403x1047px) Image search: [Google]
NVIDIA-PhysX.png
51KB, 2403x1047px
Why is there so little discussion about physx?
>>
It's proprietary gaymurrfag garbage.
>>
It's great when you see it working but most of the time it just a taken for granted thing and don't even think about it.
>>
>>61723657
Except Planetside 2, that shit was the bomb, too bad it was removed, literally the only reason to play the game.
>>
Because it's a prime example of Nvidia's closed garden approach to gaming... In an era where every Major Console (except the Switch lol) runs AMD hardware.

When devs are expected to Miultiplat everything why would they waste their time poroperly utalizing the benifits of PhysX when the majority of hardware is not prepared to fully utilize it?
Seriously the last game I remember pushing PhysX support as a feature was Metro 2033.
>>
>>61723611
because dx12 and vulkan made physx obsolete nvidia is literally working on a abstraction layer above them to provide physx

aka more latency to nvidia cards
>>
File: 1498616742769.gif (2MB, 288x430px) Image search: [Google]
1498616742769.gif
2MB, 288x430px
>>61723666
Nice digits, satan.
>>
File: amd.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
amd.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>61723686
>Console gaming
Amd is for poor people and consoles use it to save costs.
>>
>>61723700
>dx12
Problem is that shit only works on (((Windows 10))).
>>
>>61723730
everyone will go to 10 not because of dx10 this shit can be easly retrofitted

but the main problem is the wddm 2.2this driver simply cant exist on anything than w10
>>
>>61723611
> physx
It's closed nvidia-only proprietary garbage and that's why it's irrelevant.

>>61723686
>majority of hardware
To be fair, the majority of PC gaming hardware is made by nvidia. And this is why they think they can get away with things like Nvidia GameWorks. And it seems to work, AMD has a strategy of making as much as possible open yet it doesn't seem to work too much to their advantage in terms of sales. In terms of technology, though, it's kind of cool: thank to them being open with specifications and hardware registers and contributing to MESA and so on it's actually gotten to the point where the free MESA-based graphics driver for GNU/Linux is almost twice as fast as AMDs own closed-source driver for Windows and GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61723700
Why dx12 and vulkan in particular?
Shouldn't any compute shader technically be able to replace physx?
>>
>>61723719
Doesn't change the fact that the console market determines the industry standard hardware levels of it's respective generatoom and that publishers focus more on the sales & success of console ports over PC due to the higher revenue it provides.

If Nvidia wants to ignore the majority of the wider gaming market it's proprietary tech will like wise be ignored.
Welcome to business. Practicality & affordability always comes before advancement & pedigree.
>>
>>61723730
>>61723752

Nevermind DX12, hopefully it won't be relevant much longer anyway. Intel, AMD, Sony, Samsung and others are making massive progress with Vulkan and that's a free and open standard.

If you want a game to run on Windows and GNU/Linux and Sony's consoles and all Android phones and devices then DX12 isn't an option. Microsoft has the XBox going for it, though.
>>
>>61723765
indeed they are thats why star citizen some time ago said that they gonna flip to compute shaders..

but thats its a no no for nvidia cause the main reason they have such an awesome tdp is because they cuck any compute perfomance on the consumer cards...
in a couple of weeks 3dmark will release a double fp16 demo and you will see how hilariously bad nvidia is going to perfom unless ofc they unlock it and then they will have a really bad time to explain the suddenly big ass tdp
>>
Havok is better before intel took over
>>
>>61723787
The 13th amendment made it illegal to own niggers like this Anon.
>>
>>61723611
>paying for software to build software for hardware which the software sellers make
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>61723837
samefag for those that doesnt know what the double fp16 is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvRdKkc4bfk
tl dr they finally found a usefull way to use the cores in a proper way with the HWS
>>
>>61723787
what nvidia does is they take the consoles games remove everything that is amd literally every single feature the game has that runs well on consoles and just put theirs..

and then they wonder why the ports are 90% shit in general
>>
File: 111.jpg (364KB, 1280x703px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
364KB, 1280x703px
prepare for a massive nvidia cucks shill in the upcoming weeks...
even futuremark isnt no nvidia side anymore
>>
>>61723907
>>61723837
So basically, they execute two 16bit floating point instructions for the cost of one 32bit one?
Half-precision is actually enough?
>>
>>61723719
>>61723853
If some fanboy is to stupid to realize that poorfags controls the mass market, not special interest groups like /G/ or the importance of the console market with in the greater gaming industry then I will point out this error Every damn time.

You can't win an argument or discussion by dismissing factual information which doesn't agree with your statement.
And on a side note, If anons like this smartass ever came to the conclusion that maybe Nvidia is potentially just unwilling to produce cost effective cards for the wider hardware industry instead of this being a ignorant oversight then their little brains might implode.
You can't bitch about AMD's success and Nvidias failings if Nvidia were responsible for the circumstances which allowed for the aforementioned developments.
It's almost like primarily focusing on high end hardware... Alienates the majority of the hardware market. Woah.
>>
>>61724030
2 fp16 cycles at the cost of one fp16 cycle

the good stuff isnt this tho we know that everything from 260x and up can do that do to the nature of the cores (they can flip switch and pause mid cycle)they will surely benefit a lot
>>
>>61723992
Amd doing everyone a favor, tying to push tech. Nvidia will force to enable tensor core on volta
>>
>>61724090
tensor core is just a pr name dude

its literally a maxwell core with AI ISA on it this is it enabling it or not it wont do any good since the fp16 perfomance on consumer card are fucked up to increase the tdp efficiency
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/5
look at the numbers... 2:1 on the prof cards 1:64 on the consumer ones..
>>
>>61723700
Hopefully Vulkan gains more traction.

Star Citizen is shifting to it so when they finish the game in a couple years it'll run on Linux as well.
>>
>>61724141
well lets wait to see what yeah it is going to actually get done and if linux will exists at that time...
>>
>>61724152
Thats one reason I decided after getting a 970 (sold my 770 at the time, so wasnt a bad upgrade at the time) , I really have no reason to rush to upgrade especially with miners right now going crazy. Games these days really arent good enough other than potentially stat citizen when it comes, and Im better off waiting for that game to be done before making a GPU decision
>>
>>61723611
>saps half the framerate if not nvidia card
>proprietary as fuck
Yeah no thanks.
>>
Reminder that Nvidia bought-out the guy who did the original hybrid PhysX mod once he made a Cuda-to-OpenCL wrapper for native PhysX on AMD cards

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/14123-when-hacks-prevail-nvidia-physx-running-amd-graphics-card/
>>
>>61723757
>And it seems to work
not anymore, when a freaking sweeney shows up at amd event you know something is up
>>
>>61724141
>Star Citizen
>when they finish the game
>couple years
Hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>61724855
5 years in the making almost on bea stage looking better than any TRIPLE A game released on 15 till 17
games like this takes time its not ubisoft tier
>>
>>61723611
because novidia is run by jews
>>
>>61725193
you know when the industry if full with your bullshit when they have to restrict the usage of 3rd party api's for you not to bloat the games with useless shit
>>
>>61725152
>looking better
>no actual gameplay
>all pre-rendered videos
>>
it fucks the performance of games that use it. mirrors edge crashes constantly if I dont turn it off.
>>
>>61725609
hello derek smart
>>
File: baitBerserk.jpg (45KB, 552x802px) Image search: [Google]
baitBerserk.jpg
45KB, 552x802px
>>61725609
>>
Because it's nvidia only, game developers don't do anything serious with it since it'd alienate AMD owners.
>>
>>61725652
>>61726230
how much were yall scammed out of?
>>
>>61726243
0$

did you get your money back, Derek?
>>
>>61726243
i was on the crowdfunding and i got a plus key from amd cards

the only thing so far that is pushed back is alpha 3.0 so far they are right on schelduge
>>
>>61725652
>>61726230
>everything bad said about shitcitzen is really Derek Smart!
Go back to plebbit faggot.
>>
>>61723719
>Amd is for poor people

lol not anymore. $500 on my board $500 on my ram $1000 on my chip.
>>
>>61725609
>>61726486
people that say no actual conent
only pre rendered video
clearly havent play the game
literally derek smart tier shitting on the game while havent even downloaded it a single time
>>
>>61726585
>m-muh Derek Smart!
You're posting on the wrong board.
>>
>>61726675
>You're posting on the wrong board.
nah his stupidity is transcending boards
>>
>>61723992
The statue looks like voxels to me. Or not ?
>>
>>61726812
its literally compute shaders aka fp16 in the work
>>
>>61723719
>drakeposting
kys fag.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.