[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rag/ - Radio Autism General "Yes I know the fucking d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: autism.jpg (876KB, 2000x1652px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
876KB, 2000x1652px
/rag/ - Radio Autism General

"Yes I know the fucking discord is dead" edition

FAQ: https://pastebin.ca/3850560
Discord: https://discord.gg/aKnVs5f
WebSDR: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Recommended beginner setup: See FAQ

If you have questions feel free to discuss below.
>>
Wouldn't "radio" general be better spent talking about am/fm/sw/etc than this two way shit? Seems like the audience would be a lot bigger and it wouldn't be "baofeng shilling general"
>>
>>61718088
I bought a UV-82 last year. Listened to old guys and dad boners talk about the weather for a couple days and now it sits in the closet.

Welp
>>
>>61718182
If you have a long list of recommendations, feel free to list them. But talking about $2,000 ICOM radios is going to bore people which want to enter into the hobby and only want to spend < $100.

>>61718190
You can do a lot more than listen to old people, but alright. It's more about the fascination behind radio anyway.
>>
How the fuck do all these little kids get their ham licenses? Are their parents just ARRL exam moderators and they give them the easiest questions?
>>
File: 1501493579936.png (279KB, 1315x1290px) Image search: [Google]
1501493579936.png
279KB, 1315x1290px
>>61718374
lol you have to be mentally retarded if you can't get a tech license.

Even if you don't understand the shit just memorize the questions.
>>
>tfw too autistic to go to local library for taking ham exam

c-can i take it online?
>>
>>61718374
The test doesn't require Morse code now
>>
>Discord
>>
halp!

I bought a UV-5R a few months ago and found a nice repeater, but 4 watts isn't powerful enough to reach through ~35 miles of suburbia to the relay. What's a good upgrade that won't break the bank that can actually do shit?
>>
>>61719805
A better antenna is your best bet.
na-771 or if that's too unwieldy look at the na-701 or na-717.
>>
>>61719995
Also, beware of fakes, on Amazon this seems to be legit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBZLOHC/ref=twister_B01B4RBAM4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
>>
>>61719995
Nice, I'll look into those. Also, do you know how important elevation is to transmission? I know VHF/UHF is kinda line of sight, but how much of a difference would I get from mounting an antenna on my roof vs. keeping one in my room?
>>
So, what's the range on these? open air
>>
File: 5.png (11KB, 424x322px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
11KB, 424x322px
>>61720050
Height and obstructions are everything. You will get a giant improvement if you put your antenna on your roof, even if you just stick it out of your window that would also make a huge difference.

This is especially true for VHF since buildings absorb lower frequencies better.

Even if your house is just made of wood and drywall getting it outside will greatly improve performance.

If you can't get it outside you can also try putting it in the attic, the extra height plus the thinner walls help a lot.
>>
how to signal jam 5km radius?
>>
>>61720887
>>
Recommend a good police scanner
>>
>>61718182
Unfortunately swling is dying a slow death. each year more international stations are closing down and electrical interference at an all time high. Can bearly hear shit without going innawoods.
>>
oh look, a radio thread on /g/
>OP image guide is literally a bunch of cheap chink HT's that splatter everywhere on TX
>no mention of HF whatsoever
>no mention of digital modes
>no mention of electrical theory or antenna design
>FAQ consists of 2 second google shit like "durr can i fuck with taco bell drive through" and "does radio have internet"

well, I guess I should have expected as much from the technology board that worships gentoo, thinkpads they pulled from dumpsters, and constant CPU/video card/OS debates. who are you guys even talking to on VHF/UHF? I doubt the local greybeards can tolerate more than one QSO with you autismos. and if you're going to get an HT for your first radio, at least have some self respect and get a used FT-60 from ebay or something.
>>
>>61722159
Nice bait
>>
today I bought a new antenna. pretty unhappy with results so far though.
>>
having fun doing some ads-b tracking tonight, just doing it with a discone, might go and buy an antenna for this and see what kinda range i can get.
>>
>>61718182
So talk about it then.

>>61722502
Which one? Bigger is better of course.
>>
Anybody else working HF tonight? 40m is ok.

t. qrp fag
>>
So I bought an sdr dongle to play around with. But I only seem to pick up local radio stations and some strange beeping noise. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything interesting to listen too where I live(the Swedish countryside ). Should I try building a bigger antenna? I mostly want to be able to listen to weather balloon telemetry.
>>
>>61722495
Well, OP could have linked to the 4chan radio primer paste.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.