[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /g/ents. I recently moved into a new apartment complex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: packsniffer.png (78KB, 524x385px) Image search: [Google]
packsniffer.png
78KB, 524x385px
hello /g/ents.
I recently moved into a new apartment complex recently and they lied to us about our service provider. Before signing the lease, we were told we would have the option to go with Comcast or Century Link. This was a lie, for the first 3 months, noone in the building had internet. We finally go hooked up yesterday with a small isp company with about 50 employees. The apartments were built with a cat5 hookup directly into the wall, which goes to one central modem wired to all the apartments. The cable company never asked us to sign a TOS or anything. We just plug the cat5 directly to the wall and pay them 50$ a month for 20mbs. all this along with the fact there is cameras everywhere, and apparently the management can walk into your apartment at anytime without notice, I'm worried my internet traffic is being spied on. Is there anything I can do to determine if my traffic is being spyied on?
>>
>>61712976
What the actual fuck.
Go away from there.
>>
>>61712976
Your traffic is being spied on regardless of where you are or who you get service from, but you should still definitely follow this anons advice >>61713007
>>
All sounds very dodgy. Move before something gets worse.
>>
>land of the free
>>
>>61713035
the faggot agreed to it
>>
>use alternative DNS
>use HTTPS

now it's literally impossible for your ISP or a wiretap to spy on you.
>>
Trace it...
>>
>>61713047
- Use DNSSEC
- Use Arpcop to check for ARP-Spoofing (other people in the same building can spy on you just by using ancient arp-poisioning techniques)
- Use HTTPS if possible
- If you can, get yourself a reliable VPN or rent a cheap Server and set up a VPN yourself
>>
>>61713091
Addition:
Arpcop is a plugin for Ettercap:

https://ettercap.github.io/ettercap/

Ettercap also allows you to spy on others in the same building. Just saying. (as long as they aren't using https and dnssec)
>>
>>61713007
i would, but was the only thing i could afford at the time and am now locked into a lease for the next 9 months. I got a mean ass guard dog that the managment most have already has the displeasure of meeting, because she was terrified of him without ever meeting him. My guess is, she opened my door one day and he was there, blocking her path, and in his fashion, probably lunged at her.
The lie about the Internet has me tripped out though. I've been waiting for it for months, and now i finally have it, i dont want to use it
>>61713091
>>61713132
>>61713047
appreciate this. I know a bit about coding but my networking knowledge is kind of pathetic
>>
>>61713186
Okay then.
As long as you use HTTPS your ISP/Other Tenants won't be able to see the content you are requesting. They will see the domains you visit though (so youtube.com but not specific videos watched).
You could look into the Opera VPN, which is free and should protect you from pretty much all attemps of spying on you:

http://www.opera.com/computer/features/free-vpn

You have to trust the Opera-Servers though. Same here, Opera might be able to see the domains, not the content of https-enabled connections.
>>
>>61713132
>ettercap
how would i learn to use this
>>
>>61713186
>Locked into the lease
You aren't if your agreed upon internet options were in the lease. Take them to a small claims court to have the contract voided.
>>
>>61713583
Fucking google it? Youtube Tutorials? Buy a book on Network-Basics?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.