[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 26

File: Alpine.png (87KB, 1921x468px) Image search: [Google]
Alpine.png
87KB, 1921x468px
Previously on: >>61648376

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <something>

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
http://explainshell.com/
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>61711782
ok
>>
>>61713443
thanks
>>
what a shitty thread
kill yourself OP
>>
File: help.png (201KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
201KB, 532x532px
To repost my unanswered question:

Fuck, help me out here fglt, I'm going nuts. I've followed the furryguy's tutorial on Windows KVM w/ PCI passthrough step by step, upwards of 10-20 attempts but it all ends the same way.
As soon as everything is set up and I'm done with creating the VM in virt-manager I'm thrown into an UEFI shell where the input doesn't even work.
I'm using Linux Mint (it just works, so I would preferably stay there) with virt-manager 1.4.0.
>>
File: 1488394871043.jpg (176KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1488394871043.jpg
176KB, 857x1202px
Is Hyper-V a good option to install Linux on Windows 10?
>>
>>61715865
This isn't /faglet/. Stop posting that faggot's face any time. I don't play much video games (and the ones that I do work okay in Wine) so I don't know.
>>
File: help.png (138KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
138KB, 427x427px
>>61715929
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***
literally said in my post that it was a repost
>>
>>61716144
I didn't say anything unfriendly though. And these threads are always pretty unfriendly if your threshold is very low. When we say Friendly, we mean 4chan-friendly, as in 'don't be a total pussy' friendly.
>>
>>61715865
>>61716144
>furryguy's tutorial

Go ask furryguy

Follow the arch wiki then come back so we know you followed a proper guide
>>
>nautilus can search file names recursively
>there is nautilus entry in settings > search
>gnome overview can't into nautilus search
>shows only ~/xdg-dirs
WHY??
>>
>>61716867
What are you trying to do?
>>
FUTURE OP:
Please include the following links to educate people on how to live gnu free
Busybox (gnu replacement)
https://busybox.net/about.html
clang (gcc replacement)
https://clang.llvm.org/
muslc (libc replacement)
https://www.musl-libc.org/
llvm
http://llvm.org/
>>
>>61718026
Good work anon, keep it up
>>
>>61711283
OP, you forgot to remove the fsf directory link.
>>
Hey guys, I made a license for you in order to fix the GPL cancer. Please rate.

"THE TRUE-FREEDOM PUBLIC LICENSE":
This program is truly free software. As long as you retain this notice
you are free to restrict the use of this program any further or close
the source entirely and hide backdoors, spyware or other malware inside.
>>
>>61717964
search for file's name in overview like in nautilus but gave up
>>
>>61718211
>As long as you retain this notice
Why would you mandate that? Just use the WTFPL
>>
What is the name of that usb image software for Windows that is always recommended?
>>
>>61718633
rufus
>>
>>61718648
That's the one. Thank anon
>>
File: linux.jpg (21KB, 741x316px) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
21KB, 741x316px
thinking about to upgrade my linux machine with the latest linux, but I'm unsure if my linux distro supports the latest linux. should I install the latest linux on linux or should I keep vanilla linux?
also, when compiling linux from source, should I first install linux and then compile linux on linux or should I compile linux first?
>>
>>61718946
Back to >>>/g/fglt/ you go
>>
>>61718946
I think you should Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux
>>
>>61718946
>t. Linux
>>
>>61715928
I think hyperV only works for windows. Try virtualbox or VMware. Virtualbox is mostly free, so that's my recommendation.
>>
>>61718946
install linux
>>
So, just the kernel?
>>
>>61711283
'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Friendly Linux Thread >>61711283

Yes, friendly thread... for what? for whom?
millenials use jewdroid or nsadows
millenials love trannies and agree that pedophilia is another way of loving

this thread is useless, today's millenial have NSA telemetry up their teen asses and they LUV IT

Anon >>61711283 fuck you
>>
>>61719061
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61719023
>I think hyperV only works for windows.
MSFT was like the largest contributer to Linux 3.0 because they added a bunch of stuff to have it work better on hyperv.
>>
File: 1393203971183.png (136KB, 340x370px) Image search: [Google]
1393203971183.png
136KB, 340x370px
Post your output of
uname -o
>>
>>61719035
linux is a universal description nerdy tech things like
>linux distro
>linux computer
>linux job
>linux machine
>linux box
>linux filepicker
>linux problems
>linux questions
>linux commandline
>linux shell
>linux utils
>linux desktop
>linux network
>linux server
>linux browser
>linux terminal
>linux subsystem for windows
>...
>>
File: 2017-08-04_14:12.png (78KB, 1108x573px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-04_14:12.png
78KB, 1108x573px
just found out about a cool xfce4-terminal feature i was wholly unaware of

xfce4-terminal --drop-down

launches xfce4-term in quake drop-down style
it's persistent, works across workspaces and has settings for focus, height, width and position

not exactly groundbreaking but i thought it was neat
>>
>>61719061
>for what?
Discussing Linux
for whom?
Linux users

>>61719136
Even on systems without a GNU userland it says GNU/Linux, the output of that command means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>61719191
That's pretty cool, does it work well on i3?
>>
File: scrot.png (628B, 295x130px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
628B, 295x130px
>>61719136
>>
hey guys someone can provide me a guide to learn stuff about managing WM, WM theme etc?
>>
>>61719061
Back to >>>/g/fglt/ you go
>>
File: .png (893B, 628x294px) Image search: [Google]
.png
893B, 628x294px
>>61719136
>>
>>61719212
Quite the hypocrite, aren't you?
>>
>>61719212
says Android on my phone
>>
>>61719375
How so?
>>
>>61719358
you don't rin X11 on that?
>>
>>61719212
>the output of that command means absolutely nothing.
busybox prints GNU/Linux for compatibiity since this is what it's emulating
>>
>>61719259
Huh? Are you messing with me?

I've never used it, but since i3 is a tiling wm I don't imagine a feature based on window overlapping would work right out of the box. But you should be able to hack something similar together quite easily: it's just a hidden persistent console that pops up on a specific location of the screen on command, after all. You'd just have to deal with how to shove everything else out of the way.
>>
So how do you actually replace gnu with busybox or replace systemd with openrc?
Can you do it within an active install or do you have to start over?
>>
>>61719448
Actually no.The syscall that finds that is part of the kernel.All it cares about is if it is "linux",matching from a list of possible options.
The kernel and gcc give no fucks beyond "Linux" and "GNU/Linux" in its header files(which you can change)
So busybox dosent even touch the kernel headers when the kernel is compiled
>>
>tl;dr systemd-less alternative to Ubuntu Mate
So systemd-resolved isn't resolving my queries on my Ubuntu Mate install, I have had this problem at least a dozen times each month since 17.04 was released
What am I supposed to use now? I wanted to migrate to Void to learn more about GNU/Linux, but I'm still new and this is my daily driver
Can't use PCLinuxOS since my machine it's 32 bit, can't use Gentoo since it's a slowish Core Duo, don't want to use FreeBSD or TrueOS since *BSD has a smaller software library and it's not GNU/Linux
Is Calculate Linux my best option? Or should I just use Devuan?
>>
>>61719451
You don't replace the GNU system with busybox. Busybox is a extremly stripped down multi binary which holds some common cli programs so you run it on small, embedded devices. It doesn't have the same functionality and I wouldn't recommend it for your daily use machine.
>>
systemjew on jewbunt>>61719560
u
>>
>>61719575
Busybox is a drop in replacement for gnu userland

>alpine
>gentoo
>>
I'm just leaving this here. It's a message from the original busybox developer and founder of the Open Source Initiative, Bruce Perens. You may find it interesting: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/02/msg01641.html
>>
>>61719560
Did you try hardcoding DNS servers in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf
[Resolve]
#DNS=
#FallbackDNS=8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844
#Domains=
#LLMNR=yes
#DNSSEC=no
#Cache=yes
#DNSStubListener=udp
>>
>>61719656
no it isn't, it's stipped down and has lots of features removed in order to get a very small size
>>
>>61719728
Then tell alpone and gentoo they are wrong and need to fix it
>>
>>61719743
Alpine's not a general purpose OS and Busybox provides what it needs, Gentoo you choose to use Busybox. Neither of them are wrong for using it.
>>
>>61719763
So you agree they are right, when they replace gnu userland with busybox?
But i thought it was under performing and lacked features?
But its used?
Hmm
>>
>>61719783
busybox is not a userland nor a replacement for the gnu system
>>
>>61719656
>Busybox is a drop in replacement for gnu userland
Wrong. It's missing various extra tools and options that a script might use if it's intended to be run on GNU.
GNU also has way better performance since it doesn't care much about size, for better or for worse.
>>
>>61719797
>>61719799
Then how are they removing coreutils?
You would think they distro would cease to exist and no one would use it if it was unable to do basic things.
But gentoo..
>>
>>61719783
This isn't that hard to understand. Which you use depends on the OS's purpose.
>>
what's the best way to transfer my debian to another hard drive?
i'd be fine with backing up the packages i've installed and just reinstalling them on a new install of debian, but i'm not sure if/how to do this.
>>
Guys, busybox is a useful little thingy and it's free software. Stop giving it a bad name by using it as argument against GNU.
>>
>>61719822
Simple:
Use dd
Newb friendly:
clonezilla
>>
>>61719824
Nobody's trying to give busybox a bad name nor did anyone say it's non-free software.
>>
>>61719822
use the linux tranfer tool
>>
>>61719824
it is just natural for humans to want to separate into groups and attack others
>>
>>61719886
wtf i hate humans now
>>
>>61719908
fuck you human hater
>>
>>61719908
I like humans. Some are really cute and I want to cuddle them.
>>
>>61719476
>The syscall that finds that is part of the kernel.
The uname syscall reports linux. Both busybox and gnu uname hardcode that to report as GNU/Linux at compile time based on the configuration of the /host/ OS.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/m4/host-os.m4#n51
>>
>>61715865
that's what you get for using some faggot's video as a source, go read the fucking wiki and you should be able to tell what your problem is.

Hint: it's probably systemd
>>
>>61719809
They are arguing based on semantics because you are saying replacement for a GNU userland when it isn't emulating GNU utils (much), it is just implementing the POSIX spec. GNU adds non-POSIX extensions to that and if bbox was a GNU replacement it would actually be able to replace it.
Also it could be argued that a "userland" includes libc (which busybox doesn't) and even a compiler toolchain.
>>
File: 1497842143464.png (653KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497842143464.png
653KB, 1280x720px
>>61719927
>>
>>61719886
Not at all. It's encouraged by those who think they can gain power by doing so. If people consistently aimed their ire at the people causing drama, i.e. the would-be muh alphas, group enmity and other problems would not exist.

>>61719919
>fuck you human eater
whoa
>>
>>61719982
>userland
>compiler
No
Why dont we include X11 as a userland then?
>>
>>61719999
Nice numbers, but
>no it isn't natural for people to split into groups
>if they all just ostracized one group of people it wouldn't be an issue
See what you did there?
>>
>>61720017
Sure, that seems reasonable in current year. More so than a compiler for most people.
>>
>>61720034
>current year
GNU/LINUX/X11/NVIDIA/OPENBOX/COMPTON/FIRGTK/FIREFOX/4CHAN/G/FLT
So thats my distro now?
>>
File: 1494956211213.gif (787KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1494956211213.gif
787KB, 224x224px
>>61719834
thx, have a rare stallman in return
>>
>>61720072
>hides post
>>
>>61720071
Just call it a linux distro you autist, everyone knows what that means.
>>
File: 1479231774800.png (176KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479231774800.png
176KB, 300x360px
>>61720071
What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
>>
>>61720023
It's a meme, not nature. Expansionism and the wars that result almost exclusively therefrom is almost always the invention of a leader type who wishes to cement his hold on his unequal status, the attachment itself which makes him unfit for the role.
>>
>>61720099
>There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.
Then why do you always interject when people use their chosen turn of phrase?
>>
>>61720103
>It's a meme, not nature.
What the fuck are you talking about? Are you just redefining "natural" to be whatever you want? Is basically human psychology unnatural? And whether one pattern of human behaviour is responsible for wars and expansionism (so?) is irrelevant to your (wrong) point.
>>
>>61719834
what's dd?
>>
Any way to find packages you installed and not ones on the system already?
>>
>>61720181
a program that wanted to be cc but cc was already taken
>>
>>61719834
I don't like cloning as a solution. You have to copy every byte of the HDD rather than just the data and it copies the filesystem UUID.
>>
>>61720196
google is your copilot
https://askubuntu.com/questions/2389/generating-list-of-manually-installed-packages-and-querying-individual-packages
>>
Im running Linux Mint with KDE plasma on my HP stream 11.
I really enjoy it. It runs so much better than kubuntu did.
>>
Can anybody give me advice for the first steps for generating a container in Linux? What software should I rely on for example.
>>
>>61720240
google is botnet and prism partner
>>
>>61720277
Pretty great search engine though. Good misinformation to do non security sensitive stuff in the open anyway, don't want to look suspicious now do we?
>>
I've tried everything i found on how to fix screen tearing in XFCE, none of it is working. Please help.
>>
>>61720263
that's not possible with linux, but works on bsd
>>
>>61720325
>that's not possible with linux,
Containerization was a pretty hot topic on linux a few years ago. Did that get retconned?
I remember lxc, virt-manager, docker. I'm sure there was more. And good old chroots with unshare of course.
>>
>>61720325
>>61720390
I thought it would be possible with LXC:

https://linuxcontainers.org/
>>
Why should I use Linux and not BSD?
>>
>>61720608
bsd is shit
zero driver support
bsd is 10 years behind linux
>>
Arch without coreutils. is it possible?
>>
>>61720656
Can it run emacs?
>>
>>61720732
busybox
>>
>>61720777
if I remove coreutil, will Arch shit its bed? I'm not sure how to completely replace them with busybox... not sure if it's seamless.
>>
>>61720774
Of course.
>>
>>61720907
Don't replace the coreutils you fucking retard.
>>
>>61720099
>one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

really vortex my cortex
>>
>>61720907
No it wont as long as you sylink and add it to your path
>>
File: 1471716954168.jpg (31KB, 379x243px) Image search: [Google]
1471716954168.jpg
31KB, 379x243px
/g/ents,

I have a TKL keyboard and I don't have a context menu key and instead have two "windows"/super keys. I'd like to remap the right one to context menu but don't know how.

I've fucked around with xev and it says that supr_r is "keycode 134". OK, but I have no idea what keycode a context menu would emit and I have no idea how to change it. How do I do it?

Thanks in advance.
>>
Randomly in my logs a password attempt is being logged,even when i hadnt used it for about 15 minutes..There is nothing in the terminal and nothing popped up.
What is this?

user : a password is required ; TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin//true
>>
>>61722040
sounds like a job for xmodmap (good luck)
>>
>>61722040
Try 135
>>
File: WSL polybar.png (15KB, 694x419px) Image search: [Google]
WSL polybar.png
15KB, 694x419px
Trying to wrap my head around WSL. Not sure why I'm getting these errors, of course, because I'm a fucking moron. Any thoughts?
>>
>>61722158
it couldn't connect to the gui. Does WSL support X?
check your $DISPLAY variable, the typical value is something like :0.0
>>
>>61722158
>WSL
enjoy ur botnet
>>
>>61722158
>WSL
>contains not a single line of linux
>people still call it linux
Really makes you think
>>
>>61722158
Never thought that the day will come when Windows users join this thread asking questions about ricing their Linux desktop.
The day has come where technology is going backwards.
>>
File: 1480326717365.gif (49KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1480326717365.gif
49KB, 300x250px
>>61722359
>Linux desktop
NT Desktop*
>>61722158
did you try reading the error messages?
>>
File: 47.png (227KB, 464x352px) Image search: [Google]
47.png
227KB, 464x352px
Are /flt/ and /fglt/ now split?
>>
>>61722466
The same anons posting on 2 threads.
>>
>>61722329
It has a linux compatible ABI. That's the whole point of it.
>>
>>61722466
We're going back to the original thread that started this, /flt/ has been here since July 2015, check the archive on warosu if you like. /faglet/ arrived about 1 year later.
>>
Posting here too

Is there even one distro that will let me set up a system using F2FS in the installer? Fucking Ubuntu is too shitty to do this
I'll switch to it right now if you can recommend something that verifiably works with f2fs
>>
>>61723701
>Fucking Ubuntu is too shitty to do this
butt y tho? I thought you could prepare the partition beforehand and designate it with the installer
>>
>>61723724
For some reason they disabled it in gparted, even though gparted is supposed to support f2fs. I hate Ubuntu sometimes.
>>
>>61722739
it's as linux as wine is windows
>>
>>61723701

Ubuntu allows you to partition it manually during installation and choose the filesystem you want for a partition.
>>
>>61724923
Sort of
I'm going with this one https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326934
Psyching myself up because I've had a tough week and stress is making me lose willpower to get anything done. Another tea may help. Or not. Gonna report back later.
>>
>>61719809
Gentoo uses GNU you spak
>>
File: 1498405173967.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498405173967.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>61711782
fuck that
>mfw
>>
File: BlackArch-Linux.jpg (216KB, 800x419px) Image search: [Google]
BlackArch-Linux.jpg
216KB, 800x419px
Im not the only one here using BlackARCH right ?
Rigghhhtttt??
>>
Should i use f2fs on ssd or stick with generic ext4?
>>
What's the best step-by-step tutorial to install gentoo?
>>
>>61725087
f2fs if you can get it working >>61724962
feel free to join me in trying this shit out and hopefully we can figure it out between us. I'm currently sat at the ubuntu partitioning tool and just too tired to continue.
>>
>>61725101
They have a handbook, use it.
>>
File: wad.png (95KB, 1161x811px) Image search: [Google]
wad.png
95KB, 1161x811px
There's a new GTK3 based file manager.

https://github.com/teejee2008/polo

Seems to have a lot of features, at least more than Nautilus. But some of the UI looks poorly thought out and aligned (no guidelines like for GNOME software).
>>
>>61725114
just install f2fs-tools, use mkfs.f2fs to format your partition(s), then tell the installer not to format those
>>
Okay here I go with the F2FS Ubuntu install

Following this fags guide https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326934

1. Make a 16.04.3 (it came out yesterday) USB install disk with mkusb-nox

2. Get to installer partitioning tool

3. Set up 128mb /boot/efi partition (I have a GPT disk because I'm cool), leave about 110GB as Do Not Use (this is where we are going to copy the F2FS stuff to later on I think), 10gb~ ext4 partition for Ubuntu's shit
>>
>>61725197
>then tell the installer not to format those
Do you mean you actually have to specify this to the installer, or do you just skip over those? Or manual partition? Bit confused and still very tired.

It's okay if I fuck this up, I'm doing it on my other machine and I have all day free anyway.
>>
>>61725114
>>61725197
oh, do also check the kernel you plan to use has f2fs support
% zgrep F2FS /proc/config.gz 
CONFIG_F2FS_FS=m
CONFIG_F2FS_STAT_FS=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_F2FS_CHECK_FS=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_ENCRYPTION=y
# CONFIG_F2FS_FAULT_INJECTION is not set

at least "CONFIG_F2FS_FS" needs to be "m" (module, will need to add f2fs support to your initramfs if you're using it for root) or "y" (builtin)
>>
>>61725183
>GTK3
Kill me now
>>
>>61725229
:~$ zgrep F2FS /proc/config.gz
gzip: /proc/config.gz: No such file or directory

Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>61725227
show me a screenshot of the manual partitioning screen of your installer
>>
>>61725246

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a GTK3 and Qt5 program assuming they use the same theme.
You can't name technical reasons what's wrong with GTK3 and better with the toolkit of your choice.

You're just an idiot who spouts opinions he saw on the internet that he deemed edgy to feel intelligent when he parrots them.
Feel free to prove me wrong, idiot.
>>
>>61725254
it's already finished installing now, I was going to do the f2fs switch over thing because I wasn't sure what you meant by telling the installer to not wipe the partition. I was already past that point when you posted that message anyway.
>>
>>61725251
"/proc/config.gz" support is also an optional feature, which is disabled for your kernel

you can also check if the module exists on your machine;
% ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/f2fs
f2fs.ko
>>
>>61725285
Yep it does have that f2fs.ko file. I'm testing all this on a mostly-equivalent machine which also has Ubuntu LTS installed.
>>
>>61725275
you can also do that, just boot the ubuntu livecd, back up the volume(s) you want as f2fs, format them to f2fs, then restore them
adjust your bootloader and fstab if need be
>>
>>61725309
Thanks I will try. I assume you're saying just follow the instructions on the ubuntuforums post?
Could you please also explain/link-to-tutorial (if it's simple enough) of how to install a F2FS during the actual OS install because it's preferable to do everything in as few steps as possible imo?

If it helps, Ubuntu 16.04.3 installs the 4.10 kernel (on desktop).
>>
Can someone explain to me why this thread even exist?
i mean It serves no good for /g/ community and it's only purpose is to slit/filter the shit out of /g/.
Yeah I'm a one of those who run 100% free and call what you call linux GNU/Linux.
But please stop with this madness because it looks from my perspective like total spam.
>>
>>61725371
/flt was on /g/ long before /fglt/, like over a year before. now back to /pol/ with you and your politics. you have no place on a tech board.
>>
>>61725309
>>61725275
and i do mean a file-level backup, such as with tar, not a block-level backup, like with dd
the former doesn't backup the filesystem format itself, which is what you want

>>61725340
>I assume you're saying just follow the instructions on the ubuntuforums post?
i haven't followed your entire conversation, i jumped into it, i'm not aware of a ubuntuforums post
i can outline it, going off the last time i used the ubuntu installer, which was a number of years ago (before f2fs existed, actually, though that doesn't matter)

should be just;
1. get up to the partitioning section
2. pick manual partitioning
3. create the paritions you want, if you're forced to format the partitions you make, do so, it doesn't matter
4. format the partitions you want as f2fs using mkfs.f2fs, outside of the installer
5. refresh the manual partition screen, and ensure "format" is unticked for the partitions you formatted to f2fs
6. set the mountpoints for your partitions
7. continue on with the installation
>>
>>61725397
(oh, and if you don't have "mkfs.f2fs", install it, it'll be called f2fs-tools or -progs, or -utils.. something like that, you'll also want to install this on the installed copy of ubuntu as well)
>>
>>61725384
I havent seen a /flt/ thread for over a year.
Which concludes that it was not needed for the community to revive it.
>>
>>61725440

It's literally the same thread with the same topic you retard. Only bikeshedders like you care whether it's named fglt or flt.
Kill yourself you fucking pretentious idiot with your "community" shit. It's a virtual place where you read information you imbecile.
>>
>>61725440
/fglt/ wasn't needed to begin with, this is merely a correction

Now go the fuck away with your 3rd world tier english.
>>
>>61725397
Thanks anon, lot of stuff to test there.

This is my gparted for the other guy that asked. I can't screenshot the format menu but F2FS is still grayed out there for some reason.
This is gparted 0.25.0
Probably need to update to a newer version with a PPA or something
>>
>>61725440
>>61725462
>>61725464
this isn't linux related, talk about the thread itself should be done in the board meta thread, if anywhere
>>
>>61725495
>>
>>61725495
it being greyed out likely means you're missing f2fs-tools
>>
>>61725507
correct, I installed it as you said, now its there. Why Ubuntu neglects to package such a useful little toolset, I'll never understand.
>>
>>61719051
>>61719077
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>61718410
>WTFPL
this
>>
>>61725524
it's a fairly new FS, and it is aimed more towards raw flash storage, which is more common on embedded and mobile devices, so i'm not really that surprised
>>
Is mono any good on linux?
And is it worth learning C# now for software devs who use linux?
Does it mean that .NET is now crossplatform..?
>>
>>61727992
GNU/Linux*
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
>>
>>61727992
Please don't do this. C# is absolute horseshit. Go with Java if you want to be employed and do crossplatform software development
inb4 >t. pajeet
>>
File: 20170804_155026.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_155026.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>tfw even penguins use Gentoo
>>
>>61728215
>java
enjoy your botnet
>>
>>61728215
>Java is better than C#

Holy shit.
>>
>>61724986
You can use busybox as a replacement in gentoo
You can use busybox ash for replacement of bash in gentoo
You can use musl c for libc replacement in gentoo
You can use clang for gcc replacement in gentoo

Please eeducate your self before posting
>>
>>61728224
>american education
>>
>>61728252
>makes a joke
>"AMERICANS ARE SO RETARDED AMIRITE GUYS? HAHA"
>>
>>61728179
Take your faggotry back to your containment thread
>>>/g/fglt/
>>
>>61728237
Please read some C# source code and then read some Java source code.

>>61728247
Why would you want to avoid GNU so badly?
>>
>>61728247
>implying anybody ITT uses a non GNU/Linux system
>>
>>61728304
>GNU so badly?
Don't call it GNU/Linux. It gives Stallsham undue credit. He's done nothing but take credit for the work of others and has the audacity to call himself a Doctor when he couldn't even finish his Masters.

wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.

>>61728329
The only part that is forced on me is gcc compiling of the kernel,due to the various gcc extensions used in the kernel code.Once clang,icc,plan9, implements the extensions i will have a 100% gnu free system
>>
>>61728390
>The only part that is forced on me is gcc compiling of the kernel
>the kernel
You mean Linux? Just say Linux when you mean Linux.
>>
File: 1485513810503.jpg (104KB, 804x559px) Image search: [Google]
1485513810503.jpg
104KB, 804x559px
>>61728390
>100% GNU free system
You guys sound less fucking reasonable then the gnufags!
>>
>>61728463
Does it not bother you that are is only ONE way to compile the kernel?
Yet everything else has multiple ways to be done/compiled
But when it comes to the kernel nope,only gcc
Linux is about choice, how can we only have one choice for compiling?
>>
>>61728390
>its always the same guy who can't hit space
>>
>>61728491
>has nothing valuable to say
>criticizes nonsense
>was able to read the post anyway
Take your autism back to >>>/g/fglt/
>>
>>61728484
>the evil GNU guys only allow compiling Linux with gcc
are you even aware how retarded you sound
linux uses gcc extensions and optimizions, nobody is forcing developers to use them, they use them because they want it and its useful
>>
>>61711283
>/flt/

Is nobody going to interject this?
>>
>>61728484
Not really i mean there is only one kernel and it has one compiler build around it.
Sound reasonable to me.
>>
>>61728509
>Take your autism back to...

>muh GNU

Who's the autist here?
>>
>>61728509
I just realize that when you say "we" you actually mean "I", since you're samefagging all the time.
>>
>>61728518
>are you even aware how retarded you sound
So you have a compiler that will compile the kernel? No? You dont? hmmm guess its only compiled with gcc then :^)
>developers
You mean stallmanist that want control of the kernel to be locked down to gcc so no one else can compete.
>>61728536
I dont support stallmans religious views on software and how he has been a cancerous growth on the tech industry for 30 years without contribution.
>>
It's happening https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/03/linux_kernel_grsecurity_sues_bruce_perens_for_defamation/
>>
>>61728390
>Don't call it GNU/Linux
I don't, please reply with your copypastas where it is relevant. Calling Linux GNU/Linux gives GNU credit, not only Stallman. Stallman is not the only person who has contributed to GNU. Your point about gcc and gdb are thereby incorrect.

Also, Linux is licensed under the GNU Public License so you won't have a 100% GNU free system even then.

>>61728571
>without contribution
He maybe hasn't contributed with code, but he has contributed in making free software more known and letting people know why free software is important. This way he made more people contribute to open source software. He could have not let people know why free software is important and instead of that contributed to free software, but that would have resulted in less contribution to free software projects in total.
>>
>>61725397
If the anon from earlier who knew his shit about f2fs is still here, I'm the tired anon who was trying to install f2fs, I wasn't completely sure about how to carry out the things you mentioned so I followed this guy https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326934

But when I got to the part when you need to chroot onto the f2fs partition, I get this

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /media/f2fs
root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem.

Any ideas?
>>
There should be a new rule added.
because we are all to autistic to stick with one term.
>no comments are allowed about the the others terminology
>>
>>61729302
it appears grub doesn't yet have f2fs support in it's stable version
you'll need to either;
a. put /boot on a non-f2fs partition
b. install a patched version of grub with f2fs support (there are patches available)
>>
>>61729402
I've said from the start that we don't need politics in here, this should only be about the tech, so you have no arguments from me.
>>
>>61729413
oh fug you're right, I did even have a separate partition, I don't know why the dude says to mount the boot partition onto the f2fs partition, wtf
>>
>>61729442
his post does have an ext4 /boot partition
and in that case you do indeed need to mount a separate /boot into your root mount before chrooting into it, so the modifications you do to /boot are applied to the real /boot
>>
>>61729424
>>61729402
tell that the people who came into this thread, yelled "fuck the jewish GNU kikes" and removed GNU from the OP
>>
>>61729503
But they're only taking it back (and yes /flt/ was here long before as we explained in the thread yesterday) from the people who came and said 'fuck /flt/, fuck you for not worshipping stallman' and put GNU into it.
You GNUturds need to be taught that if you want to be respected then you start by not shitting on the people whose respect you want. It goes both ways.
>>
>>61729474
>his post does have an ext4 /boot partition
Yes it does. I think where I fucked up is having a GPT drive which requires a /boot/efi partition to be present (for some reason that I can't remember) and I didn't know how to adapt the guide to fit my setup.

if my /boot/efi partition is actually a fat32 partition, can you please help me adapt it to what you said to make it work? I don't quite know what you mean by mounting a separate /boot into the root mount before chrooting. Do I need a new /boot ext4 partition?
>>
>>61729621
your /boot can be fat32, for EFI purposes
i've never used EFI before, so i can't be specific, but you will still need to mount your fat32/efi /boot over your root mount

like lets say sda1 is /boot and sda2 is /, you would do;
a. mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/sdaroot
b. mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/sdaroot/boot
c. chroot /tmp/sdaroot
this way, "/tmp/sdaroot" is your on-disk root, and the "boot" directory in that is actually the contents of sda1, as that is mounted on to "/tmp/sdaroot/boot"
>>
Anyone else having issues with Wifi with latest kernel? After today's update, connection drops every 20-30 minutes.
>>
>>61729707
So this is how it's looking at the moment. The only difference from what you specified is how I have /boot/efi rather than /boot. I'm gonna try umounting it and then mount it as /boot and see if it works.
>>
>>61729785
Logs
>>
>>61729791
your pictured mountpoints won't work, as "/boot" itself is still on an the f2fs partition
>>
>>61729558
Not mentioning GNU in the fist place was disrespectful towards GNU already, such thing is only useful for companies, hence the wide spread of "Linux" and "Open Source". It doesn't benefit the free software community to censor the systems real orgin and with it thoughts about freedom (which is indeed political and ethical). Even if the initial thread was just a "Linux thread", it has never been about Linux, the kernel. It's been about free software and GNU/Linux distributions.
>>61729424
>Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn.
>>
>>61729799
Aug 04 18:11:28 archlinux NetworkManager[332]: <info>  [1501863088.2595] connectivity: (wlp4s0) timed out
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux nm-dispatcher[8620]: req:1 'connectivity-change': start running ordered scripts...
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux nm-dispatcher[8620]: req:1 'connectivity-change': new request (1 scripts)
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux dbus[315]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher'
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux dbus[315]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.
Aug 04 18:06:28 archlinux NetworkManager[332]: <info> [1501862788.2605] connectivity: (wlp4s0) timed out

Connection just hangs until I restart the service. Never happened before today's systemd+kernel update.
>>
>>61729820
>respond those who don't want to waste time on /pol/itics
fixed

>>>/pol/
and stay go
>>
>>61729558
if you want a neutral term, use gnu/linux
>>
File: 1501307110687.jpg (64KB, 1024x762px) Image search: [Google]
1501307110687.jpg
64KB, 1024x762px
I'm running a tor relay and seedbox on the same host.

What is the best way to measure bandwidth used over time for both applications?
>>
>>61729878
vnstat
>>
>>61729816
oh fug I don't even know what's going on any more

So wait, is this actually about the boot flag, not the partition?
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ history
1 sudo mkdir /media/ext4
2 sudo mkdir /media/f2fs
3 sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/ext4
4 sudo umount /dev/sda2 /media/ext4
5 sudo umount /dev/sda2
6 sudo umount /dev/sda3 /media/ext4
7 sudo mount /dev/sda3 /media/ext4
8 sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/f2fs
9 sudo cp -a /media/ext4/* /media/f2fs
10 sudo mkdir /media/f2fs
11 sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/f2fs
12 sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/f2fs/boot/efi
13 sudo mount --bind /dev /media/f2fs/dev
14 sudo mount --bind /proc /media/f2fs/proc
15 sudo mount --bind /sys /media/f2fs/sys
16 sudo chroot /media/f2fs
17 sudo apt install f2fs-tools

That's my history output from the start of this live session until line 17 when I started to pull my hair out.
So when I installed Ubuntu to this SSD earlier is when the boot flag was set?
>>
Some anon would mind to help me learning some details on LXC I couldn't find researching? I read and searched a lot but I can't find an specific thing.
>>
>>61729925
Use LXD if you can. LXC is only if you're on Debian and really need containers for some reason.
>>
>>61729925
>makes post askin about thing
>dosnt fucking ask the thing
>>
>>61729945
Last time I straight asked I got ignored, so I wanted to be polite this time.

When I use
lxc-attach -n Name --clear-env
it cleans ALL paths to the point things as "clear" won't work. I tried not using
--clear-env
but it leaks the host paths to the container.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>61729943
Sorry didn't see it. Yeah, I'm on Debian and I'm messing with LXC because I want to have some open internet services and I felt like it would be nice to have anothger security layer.
>>
>>61729920
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/f2fs/boot/efi

this needs to be
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/f2fs/boot

you will need to move some files around first, or reinstall grub/the linux kernel image in the chroot
>>
>>61730013
The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.
>>
Is R9 380 supported by amdgpu? Or should i use radeon?
>>
>>61730060
See, this is why we can't stand you people. If you really are interested in Linux or whatever we're trying to do here, then you must be able to see that you're only trolling us at this point, and you need to go. You're having a net negative effect, and making people turn against GNU, so if it's really something you care about you need to see you're doing more than harm at this point and you need to leave and try this shit on /pol/ or somewhere else that cares.
If you actually want to help, you need to quit with this fucking annoying political/ideological talk that we don't want in here. We're here for the tech. Fuck off and kys if you can't understand.
>>
>>61730132
Whats wrong with this post?
>>
>>61730060
There are other kernels in the world.
There is the bsd kernel
There is the Mac kernel

By saying,"The Linux Kernel" you are specifing you are talking about the Linux Kernel.
>>
>>61730060
i said "the linux kernel image", and i refer to the specific image of the linux kernel which he is using
please be careful to understand what people are saying before attempting to correct them
>>
>>61730013
lol. at my wits end now. after all that, I now find out I have booted to a read-only filesystem. I think this is where I give up and wait for official support, which hopefully isn't too far off, I noticed they seem to be working on f2fs for 17.10, so it's only about 2-3 months now.
That was fun and thanks for your help, I did learn something at least. But that's too much pain for one day.
>>
>>61730259
this can be solved by adding "rw" (or changing "ro" to "rw") to your kernel arguments
refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters for details
>>
>>61730231
except that there's no Linux kernel, there is just Linux, which itself is a kernel. the "mac kernel" (mac is actually a device) is xnu.
so, following your logic, you'd call kernel of macos "The Xnu kernel"?
>>
>>61730178
What's wrong with it is your condescending and autistic way of copy-pasting large paragraphs of communist bullshit and thinking that's going to win you any friends.
All you are doing is turning people against you. I'm telling you at this point it's best you just leave and go somewhere else where they want to discuss ideology and politics. This is a tech board. We don't want you. Go and stay go.
>>
>>61730340
>This is a tech board. We don't want you.
So let's call the things correctly. Let's call the GNU/Linux system GNU/Linux and the kernel Linux just Linux.
>>
>>61730329
not him, but yes, i would
just like i'd say "the gnu operating system", even though gnu is an operating system, so could simply be called "gnu". the former is simply more descriptive
>>
>>61729983
>>61729972
So. . .Bump I guess.
>>
>>61730369
No. That's ideological and political. We don't want that shit. Gtfo. Come back if you want to discuss tech. Until then fuck off.
>>
>>61730377
Ignore gnu posts

Put these in your 4chanx filters
/GNU\/Linux/i;boards:g
/GNU+Linux/i;boards:g
/gnu/i;boards:g
/what you're refer+ing to as linux/i;boards:g
/to interject/i;boards:g
/interject/i;boards:g
/Richard Stallman/i;boards:g
>>
>>61730389
But thats the systems name, anon. Created in the 80s by Richard Stallman, combined with the kernel Linux made by Linus Torvalds in the 90s.
Stop being a tech illiterate on a tech board.
>>
>>61730377
People will ignore you if you constantly bump.
Post your problem if no one helps you,deal with it, you arent entitled to anyones help.
>>
>>61730410
>/to interject/i;boards:g
>/interject/i;boards:g
redundant
>>
>>61730389
The concept of Free Software has alsways been ideological.
>>
What does /flt/ think about Luke Smith?
>>
>>61730440
You have to go back. You're destroying free software more than helping it at this point.
>>
>>61730485
You have to go back. Your kind fits better to /pol/ where it's about hatred and exclusion.
>>
>>61730484
i'm thinking "who?"
>>
>/flt/ is muh safe space!
>no meanies aloud!
Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>61730513
Yes, exclusion of all non-tech talk. Go back to /pol/ where you have a place. You have no place here.
>>
>>61730521
https://youtu.be/1K5jo9gk9LQ
A literally who turbo autist that spouts /g/ memes on YouTube while working on a PhD.
>>
I have a large file with text blocks, which are separeted by 2 blank lines. How can I split this file so that every text block is a single file?
>>
>>61730300
Thanks anon, that got me into the desktop.... which is where it's looking kinda ugly.
Firstly, the default system for some reason is now still using the 10gb ext4 partition.
The F2FS / partition is basically being ignored/fucked.

This is how it's looking right now. It's been fun but now I'm thinking about killing myself and it's no longer cool.
>>
>>61730423
I know, that's why I only bump it without saying anything more. They told me to ask they dissapeared.
>>
>>61730531
Go back to your precious gnu thread and circlejerk how important gnu is(its not)
>>
>>61730611
>>61730300
f2fs-tools is definitely installed btw, don't know why it's tarding out about it not being there.
I'll just wait for 17.10.
>>
>>61730630
lol. I thought he *was* the gnu shill. They are the most thin-skinned scrotes I've seen on 4chan. You only have to say Linux for them to go into an autistic frenzy.
Let's say it some more and trigger these little fuckers. Linux. LINUX. LIIIIINNUUUUXXXX.
>>
>>61730603
Try GNU csplit.
>>
>>61730671
He means *Linux csplit
>>
File: 2017-08-04_08:59.png (10KB, 405x230px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-04_08:59.png
10KB, 405x230px
I really like synapse, but is there a way to make it any less fucking hideous? It forces this awful highlight effect, rounded edges and drop shadow that clashes with my nice flat simple themes. The other themes available by default aren't much better.
>>
>>61730680
csplit is a program developed by the GNU project for the GNU operating system
>>
>>61730671
perfect, ty
>>
>>61730704
csplit is a program developed by the Linux project for the Linux operating system

see how annoying it is
>>
>>61730722
Sorry for you that you think truth is annoying.
>>
>>61730738
The truth is that /g/ is a tech board and isn't a politics board. I think you're looking for /pol/. Now fuck off.
>>
If I post a link to an open position for a Linux network administrator would people be interested?
>>
>>61730611
hmm, there's a few things that need changes there, i'm not sure why you even have sda3 there
>>
>>61730850
So I deleted sda3 (the guide wasn't explicit about it) and now I have the minimal bash grub thing at boot-up. I give up, anon. Thanks for sticking with me through it. Ubuntu is just not ready with F2FS, I'm going to accept it and just wait a few months until 17.10 or maybe even till the next LTS.
This SSD has been going since 2012 with no signs of dying, so I guess it can handle a few more.
>>
>>61731178
well, if your machine is mounting root as sda3, then you'll need to tell it to use sda2 instead
namely, you need to edit your /etc/fstab
plus, getting the "minimal bash" after deleting sda3 means that /boot was still on sda3, you needed to move it to sda1 as previously mentioned
>>
>>61715928
Hyper-V is unironically worse than VirtualBox. It's an awful, awful hypervisor.
>>
>>61731261
minimal grub*
i might be tired, too
>>
>>61731178
GRUB doesn't support F2FS. If you did direct UEFI booting of the kernel it'd work.
>>
>>61731261
Damn, thanks anon. Worth a try.
>>61731295
Do you know if the situation is changing any time soon? I noticed a ticket on Launchpad related to F2FS in the installer had been updated for Ubuntu 17.10. Maybe some hope there, dunno.
>>
>>61731295
you can work around that by placing just /boot on a volume grub does support
there's also a patch for grub that adds f2fs support
>>
>>61715928
Hyper-V is literal shit for anything but windows 8.1 and up
>>
My log is filled with potenital sudo/su auth attempts,but nothing shows i the terminal or otherwise.Nothing is running on tty4 and it goes to other tty's as well.What the fuck is happening
user : a password is required ; TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/user/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin//true
>>
is there a way to remove all gnu software from my arch linux os?
>>
>>61731457
For what purpose?
>>
>>61731457
>is there a way to remove windows from nt?
>>
>>61730484

>pretending to be someome else while asking people for personal validation

You fucking pathetic imbecile. Stop posting.
>>
>>61731457

If you were such a power user not to "require" GNU related software, you'd know how to do that.
But you aren't. You are just a pathetic idiot who wants to feel smart by asking such "advanced" questions.
Stop posting you fucking retard.
>>
Can't we just make peace and start over with /fglt/. Please grow a thicker skin when taling about GNU, since it's a large part of our community and system. You don't have to like it or agree with software freedom, but don't knock them out; they don't knock you out either and call it "just GNU". /fglt/ was pretty fine for years. Now these threads are 80% full of useless hate, dividing our community.
>>
what archive format is the "standard"? should I use tar.gz?
>>
>>61731437
tty != pty
>>
>>61731752
both tar and gzip are practically gauranteed to be available on any linux system ever, if that's what you mean
>>
>>61731828
you mean GNU/Linux system, Linux is just a kernel, tar and gzip are GNU programs
>>
>>61731871
no, actually, these are common on non-gnu linux systems as well, for example, busybox has implementations of both
>>
>>61731989
>>61731871
ps. tar isn't even originally a gnu program, gnu tar is an (one of many) implementation of the earlier unix tar program
>>
>>61732059
The earlier unix programs were proprietary; thats why the GNU project have rewritten them from scratch for the GNU system.
>>
>>61732082
sure, but nobody said "gnu tar", as in the gnu implementation of tar, specifically
>>
>>61732059
>he thinks people use the original unix programs from the 70s
>>61732114
so which version of tar do you think is isntalled on the majory of all gnu/linux distributions? unix tar? bsd tar? busybox tar?
>>
>>61732144
Alpine uses busybox.
>>
>>61732144
>which version of tar do you think is isntalled on the majory of all gnu/linux distributions?
nobody besides you said gnu/linux systems
>>
install solus
>>
>>61732166
As someone who just spent a week dicking around with Alpine, I can assure you that nobody in their community actually uses busybox for everything on a full fat desktop. The first thing they tell desktop users to do is install GNU core/bin/findutils.

Busybox isn't even fully POSIX compliant. They just leave random shit out if it's too hard to implement, like mark/jump in vi, and then tell people to read the source if they want to know what's actually supported. It's not a tool set for serious work.
>>
>Gentoo has python 3.4 as stable, making it more outdated than debian
Why is gentoo recommended again?
>>
>>61732557
It never was.
>>
>>61731606
>years
they haven't even been here a full year. /flt/ has more right by virtue of being here first and for existing as /flt/ longer than /faglet/ did.
and no we can't make peace, because those turds can't understand that this is not /pol/ or /lit/, it's a tech board and we come here to discuss tech, not bikeshedding + politics
>>
>>61731295
>If you did direct UEFI booting of the kernel it'd work.
Could you please explain how I do that? Is it easy enough to just google?

>>61731261
my fstab is looking seriously fucked to me. I haven't changed anything on the system, just pasting this using the live session.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
#UUID=3dbe39db-42f7-4c18-b31a-acaf83e26a8e / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=fe8bde9d-298a-4eca-81e4-cd3f89e13279 / f2fs rw,relatime,background_gc=on,user_xattr,acl,active_logs=6 0 0
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=0196-2C3B /boot/efi vfat utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
>>
>>61715928
i agree with the other two, it's UI is shit, the setup is sluggish and installing it disables hibernation and sleep.
>>
>>61731606
>Please grow a thicker skin

>tells us to grow a thicker skin
>doesn't tell /fglt/, the people who rage autistically when someone says Linux distro, to grow a thicker skin and stop sperging

heh
>>
>>61732532
Alpine is the distro that Docker use to power their containers. If you want to believe that Docker isn't being used for serious work, then you go right ahead.
>>
>>61731457
>is there a way to remove all gnu software from my arch linux os?
Yes.
Remove coreutils,install busybox
Remove bash,install another shell(fish/dash/zsh) or use busybox ash
Remove libc, use musl c
Remove gcc, use clang
For various other gnu programs you can find alternatives to

>>61731606
>for years
fglt was usurped /flt/ mid last year,you can check the archives for the very first one.
/flt/ has been here over 2 years.
>dividing our community
>dont have to like it
You mean the constant copy pasta and " YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU MEAN GNU/LINUX HUUUUUUUURRRRRDDDDDDUUUUUUURRRR" or flat out shitposting for gnu? thats the issue.You faggots came in to our nice thread and planted your big fat turd crusted asshole throwing your temper tantrums on our thread and started taking it over.Linux can be run without gnu,and people are doing so.When clang can compile the kernel gnu will be done with.
No,i wont merge it back.

>>61732532
I use alpine on my servers with busybox and i have had zero issues arise from "what busybox is missing".
>>
>>61732936
>/flt/ has been here over 2 years.

https://warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959

It's right here, July 2015, first documented /flt/
>>
>>61732936
>it's the phoneposter again
>>
>>61731606
>/fglt/ was pretty fine for years
[citation needed]
>>
>>61732936
You should be thankful for GNU ans how a bit respect towards RMS. Without him and the GNU project, the GPL and GCC, there wouldn't be a "Linux thread" in the first place.
>>
Which one would you choose, i3 or awesome?
>>
>>61732936
why are you telling people to brick a working system in order to remove the evil gnu?
>>
>>61733042
i3 because it's much easier to make configs for which uses plaintext configs unlike awesome which requires you to know lua
>>
new thread

>>61733062
>>61733062
>>61733062
>>
>>61732936
>Remove gcc, use clang
I would if the kernel let me compiled with a non gcc compiler
>>
>>61733042
i3
>>
new thread:
>>61733071
>>
>>61733033
You stallman fucks sure are caught up on this "fact"(fake news).
If stallman was never in the tech indsutry and was stillborn at birth.We would still have Linux.Back in the 1990's when linux was working on linux there were other userlands which he could have used.There were many other options at the time and he would have picked one of those and gone on with creating linus like it would have been in our timeline.
>respect stallman
BAHAHHA
He is a pedophile(https://stallman.org/archives/2003-may-aug.html)
He support bestiality (http://stallman.org/articles/extreme.html)
He eats skin from his dirty feet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ 1:55)

He has horrible mannners(pic related) and otherwise is a giant turd of a person
He is direly mentally insane most like likely non-medicated due to some broken logic he has about medication

>>61733050
>brick
Cant replecate your claims.I dont haev coreutils installed and my system works flawlessly
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.