[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Anons, can someone explain me the pros and cons of having a VPN ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Hey Anons, can someone explain me the pros and cons of having a VPN ?
>>
>>61700285
pros:<
muh implied privacy

cons<
can't shitpost
>>
File: n4DsM1h.jpg (958KB, 1974x1134px) Image search: [Google]
n4DsM1h.jpg
958KB, 1974x1134px
Pros:
Your ISP cant spy on you

Cons:
It costs money
>>
>>61700285
Why would you use Tinder through a VPN? Every reason I can think of has better solutions (unless it's blocked in your country)?
>>
>>61700326
Isp doesn't spy on you, VPN provider spy on you
>>
>>61700326
How does it prevent large ISPs from spying on you?
>>
>>61700337
Data is encrypted
>>
>>61700337
Because the traffic is routed through the VPN so your ISP only sees you connecting to the VPN providers servers? This is what /g/ told me.
>>
>>61700285
Pros:
>privacy (main point)
>pretend you're from a different country

Cons:
>Some websites block VPN (4chan won't let you post without a pass)
>costs money
>speed reduction
>>
>>61700349
But it has to be decrypted at some point.
>>
>>61700285
Pros: able to torrent without ever getting a DMCA notice.
Cons: makes you look suspicious if the NSA flags you for any reason.
>>
>>61700337
It /kinda/ doesn't, but it makes it harder for them to. The data is encrypted at your desktop before it's sent through the router/modem, it's then sent directly to the VPN's server from you, the VPN then fetches whatever data you requested and encrypts it on their end before sending it back to you.

If the ISP really wanted to spy on you however, they still could, esp if you're using their router. It would just take someone on their end actually trying, though I figured in a couple years ISPs will build this ability into their infrastructure anyways.
>>
>>61700366
4chan only blocks it if it's a known VPN (they have a black list) some VPNs do work with 4chan.
>>
>>61700285
how bad is the speed reduction through a VPN? I already have shit internet, if it's gonna slow me down even more I don't want to bother.
>>
>>61701931
Latency increases, but a good VPN won't change your bandwidth.
>>
>>61700326
>Your ISP cant spy on you
Isn't HTTPS enough to prevent that though?
>>
>>61700361
encrypt your traffic, even if you're just browsing imgur. that's the best way to draw attention to yourself. might as well wear a turban.
>>
>>61700419
not between your two end points. routers just read the headers and pass the data along bit by bit.
>>
>>61701976
No. That means that your ISP knows what you're doing, but they can't SEE what exactly that is.
They know you're cranking it to some loli doujins even though it's HTTPS, but they don't know which doujin it is.
>>
>>61700285
Pros: False sense of privacy
Cons: wasted money on useless shit
>>
>>61702004
I think it's more about plausible deniability
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.