[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>he got a cs degree instead of teaching cs himself

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAhAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
>>
>>61696483
well you need proof.
>>
>>61696527
i licked a negro once.
>>
>>61696483
Math with a CS minor master race tbqh.
>>
File: eng.jpg (45KB, 687x389px) Image search: [Google]
eng.jpg
45KB, 687x389px
>>61696575
>2017
>Engineering is master race
>>
>>61696642
>Engineering
I'm not a fan of cock in my ass tho.
>>
>>61696642
>basically trade school

>>61696575
>egotistical asshole who believes his own hype
>>
>>61696483
If you want to learn CS the go math/theor. physic degree and learn programming + algos on your own.

If you want to study CS then choose some respectable uni. ETH Zurich, carniege mello, all good univ CS programme is 50% math.

Do not waste your time doing some silly project in meme framework. CS derived from math.
Math give strong funds for further learning.

If you know math, you can master any CS technology in short time, but not the other way.

Thats why every respectable company will ask you to solve some algo problems.
>>
>>61696747
>If you know math, you can master any CS technology in short time
That is hilariously wrong.
>>
>>61696527

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Bitch if you need a degree to prove that you can develop, you're retarded.

It actually grows some hair on your balls asking 100k up front for your skills. Try getting gud fucking normie.
>>
>>61696747
Mathematicians usually write the worst code for some reason.

I agree that some math knowledge is essential but going full math ticks something in your brain that makes you write unmaintainable garbage.
>>
>>61696760
Could you be more specific? Some examples?
>>
>>61696819
Knowing calculus won't help you construct a btree structure or manipulate files by byte offsets
>>
>>61696809
>for some reason
Most mathematics is developed in continuous functions and structures, which computers are fundamentally incapable of, and the transition in thinking between the two is very difficult for most people.
>>
>>61696483
you need to play the game. unless you want to stay a neet.
>>
>>61696865
CS math is not about calculus, calculus is useful when you have to use it so calculate something in your application.

Math heart of CS is discrete math, linear algebra and lambda calculus.

And yes, discrete math is very helpful for creating btree, check Graph theory and set theory.

Algorithms were not invented out of ass, every algo is legit because there is math behind it, usually it was first written as math proof.
>>
>>61697023
Math is a human created language to precisely define and discuss measurable quantities, not some magic language of the universe.
>>
>>61697113
explain why math can be used to predict natural processes then
>>
>>61697113
Mathematics is the language of science. It wasn't created or invented, it was discovered.
>>
>>61696771
>submit resume
>no degree listed
>thrown in trash

How you gonna say anything?
>>
>>61696747
Wrong, an English major is better for CS than a math major.
>>
>>61697216
>I have no contacts because I'm a fucking loser antisocial faggot
it's so easy to make contact with someone to who you can show your skill and get a reference
>>
>>61697023
Knowing those things is extremely beneficial to CS, but it's still not a magic "now you know it all!" trick
You think Huffman was a pure mathematics researcher when he came up with his compression algorithm? You have to have a fundamental understanding of CS as a science *and* math to come up with that.
Knowing discrete and linear won't magically make you a CS whiz kid, they're intertwined but separate fields of study.
>>
>>61696809
Probably because they learn math and then realise that there is no jobs for them, so they become pajeets of the west.
>>
>>61697346
>>61696809
Are they really that bad?
Thats the reason why quants position and HFT is usually full of math and physic phd and not cs?
>>
>>61696575
>not statistics
LMAO
>>
>>61697133
Math isn't used to predict natural processes. It is the language that describes the predictive models that we use to predict natural processes.

>>61697210
No. You aren't special. There is absolutely nothing magical about mathematics.

>>61697245
Chomsky is cited in The Dragon Book.
>>
>>61697475
Allen? Is that you?
>>
frogposter vs. anime poster

Which is worse?
>>
>>61697515
No, but whoever this Allen fellow is, is woke as fuck
>>
>>61697529
>>61697475
ok stop being a pseud and read this
https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ulrikb/80-518-818/MartinLof83.pdf
>>
>>61697534
I'll take a look for sure, but I won't be responding here.

I am excited to read something from someone who studied under Kolmogorov, though.
>>
>>61697475
>Math isn't used to predict natural processes. It is the language that describes the predictive models that we use to predict natural processes.

nice sentence.

have u ever considered going into sociology? just wondering
>>
>>61697475
>No. You aren't special. There is absolutely nothing magical about mathematics.
??? You don't make sense.
>>
>>61697663
The illiterate shouldn't be working in the hard sciences, either, Anon.
>>
>>61697684
You are stuck in Modernism. Let go. It's much more useful to practice science with a post-modern epistemology.
>>
>>61697256
And it is even easier when you learn from some of the top people in your field.
It is the whole DE vs WM discussion all over again.
Just because you go to a university doesn't mean you don't teach yourself the curriculum.
The reason people do it is so they can get a degree.
A degree shows that you were willing and able to learn the stuff in the fixed time frame set by the university. If you are not serious enough to get a degree, you won't be serious enough to stick around for a job.
>>
>>61697794
>Just because you go to a university doesn't mean you don't teach yourself the curriculum.
>The reason people do it is so they can get a degree.

Just because you went to a shitty school with shitty teachers and even then still failed to take advantage of all of the opportunities afforded by being a person on a university campus doesn't mean that's how the rest of us should go through life.
>>
>>61697663
is there something wrong with what i said?
>>
>>61697781
I don't understand what you are saying. How is that related to >>61697210
>>
File: 1501631784585.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1501631784585.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
>Be me
>Go for AA degree in Cisco network design
>Never graduated
>Have ONE math class to complete to get my degree
>Live in another state since I was hired on and now make over 125k/yr
>No degree
>A bunch of vendor certs like cisco, fortinet, juniper, meraki.......

>No degree making money
>Living well
>>
>>61697940
Apparently you don't have knowledge of the epistemological basis of postmodern science and still actually believe that you accurately perceive a perfect representation of the external world in your mind. That is called magical thinking. It is actually a dangerous insanity.
>>
I've hired a lot of programmers over the years and here's the order, best to worst, of their skills and professionalism:
1) European professional school educated.
2) Big-name American University
3) self-taught
4) Pajeets (built and managed a large group in New Delhi once)

I did hire someone right out of college from a small private college once but only because I had already done a project with him when he was an undergrad so I knew how good he was. I have nothing against small private colleges - I just don't know them well enough to hire from there.
>>
>>61696642
>Interaction Engineer
Hm..
>>
>>61697023
>Math heart of CS is discrete math, linear algebra and lambda calculus.
tfw brainlet and to lazy to buckle down and do these
>>
>not taking law and CS
How does it feel to be such brainlets?
>>
>>61698279
So you are basically studying to be a patent troll?

How does it feel to be the cancer that is killing America?
>>
>Bachelor of Computer Science
>Master of Mathematics
>PhD in Applied Mathematics

Did I do it wrong?
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (103KB, 775x719px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
103KB, 775x719px
>>61697522
People who complain about frogposters and anime posters.
>>
>>61696483
>go to uni
>its free because europoor can't afford rich guy tuition and textbook costs
>have to learn everything by reading free books in the library, since i am too poor to buy them
>get Bachelor in CS which i can use to atleast try to compete with my self-taught superiors
>know i am worthless and the code i write only works because my professors told me how

you're right, fuck me.
>>
>>61698423
sexy as fuck
>>
>>61697522
Frog website
>>
>Go to law firm
>You: I taught myself law online
>Firm: fuck off

>Go to a construction firm
>You: I taught myself structural engineering online
>Firm: fuck off

>Go to a hospital
>You: I taught myself medicine online
>Hospital: fuck off

>Go to software company
>You: I taught myself programming online
>Software company: You get the job!
>>
>>61698673
>i wasted my time on a worthless degree when I could get into white collar work for free
>>
>BSc math
>hopefully MSc in statistics or applied math
>learning programming in my spare time
Will I be able to compete with CS grads?
>>
File: about to burst into laughter.jpg (23KB, 240x251px) Image search: [Google]
about to burst into laughter.jpg
23KB, 240x251px
>he got a degree in Counter-Strike

Enjoy flipping burgers.
>>
>>61696483
t. NEET or forever codemonkey
>>
>>61696483
>"How come you don't have a resume?"
>"I don't need one I taught my self :)))))))"
?
>>
>>61698673
Doesn't quite work like that lol.

All the graduate programmes with programming I've looked at want degrees from respectable institutions.

Funnily enough, I was asked to help a masters student with learning programing (he had a first/A+ in a maths honours degree)
>>
File: 1501099311367.jpg (72KB, 634x650px) Image search: [Google]
1501099311367.jpg
72KB, 634x650px
>sorting through resumes
>""""""""""""""self-taught""""""""""""""""""
>immediately toss the retard in the trash
feels fucking good man.
>>
>>61698388
Not even a burger, and memeing aside I'm doing it so I can hopefully work on cases that advance how law and technology intersect. You'd be shocked if you knew how rudimentary most judges knowledge of computing is. Hell, piracy laws (to pick a semi related topic) failed here because the legislature doesn't even really understand what file-sharing even is.
>>
>>61698209

>Executive assistant engineer consultant

Literally the stupidest job title I ever seen.
>>
>>61698228
DO discrete math with applications by Epp, it was written for brainlets, then do one book on proof like book of proof by hammack, then algoritms from sedgewick + clrs, read concrete math by knuth on toilet.

You are ready to go now.
>>
>>61700964
it's weird that unemployed people choose to pretend to be HR
you'd think if they were gonna lie, they'd lie big
>>
>>61701257
I hope you're right anon. I made the mistake of being somewhat lazy on math as I was exiting school then not doing any for several years and now I'm roadblocked in uni :(
>>
>>61701276
It's weird how NEETs think they know what it takes to get a job, even though they've never had one before.
>>
>>61696642
>adding engineer to the end of an unrelated job title
Anyone who does this should be shot to death
>>
>>61696747
>physic degree
No

>programming + algos on your own
This is only a small part of CS.

>all good univ CS programme is 50% math.
True

>>61696771
>develop
Not what CS is about.
>>
>>61698201
Sometimes the euros have terrible people skills though, which is often forgiven if they're good enough otherwise.
>>
>degree
>relevant
Losers. You can just google everything these days. There is no difference between a graduate and someone who can use a search engine.
>>
>>61702027
Hello pajeet
>>
>>61702027
>There is no difference between a graduate and someone who can use a search engine
except I have a massive student debt and a piece of paper that employers will hire me for.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.