[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /g/'s choice of Text Editor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: gedit_intro.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gedit_intro.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
The editor I use is gedit. I use it for pretty much all of the documents I type up and I also use it for coding as it is simple and easy to use.

For compiling I use GCC as it is also simple and easy to use.
>>
>>61689250
I like to use nano for configs since its so simple and emacs for everything else.
>>
>>61689250
I'm working on a clone of Visual Studio Code. It'll have an integrated Terminal and package control system. But it will not run on Electron.
>>
>>61689250
Geany these days.

>>61689284
Sounds neat. You got a repository? Would love to contribute to anything that opposes the horrid cancer that is Electron.
>>
>>61689300
It's currently proprietary. Also, I don't think /g/ would appreciate the choices I made (Rust, Gtk, Microsoft Language Server Protocol etc).
>>
>>61689322
>proprietary
>Rust
>Microsoft
you're doing it all wrong senpai
>>
>>61689359
When it reaches 0.1.1 I'll release it under LGPL.

Also, the editor is not going to be cross platform. *BSD and Linux only :^)
>>
Eclipse CDT for C, I like the function completions after adding the headers, its nice.

For web dev its sublime text 3, emmet, bootstrap, react.js snippets and autocompletions are amazing
>>
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gedit-list/2017-July/msg00001.html

Gedit is dead, switch to vim.
>>
Only VIM. VIM is love, VIM is life without proprietary software.

>using proprietary software

What's wrong with you?!
>>
>>61689250
vim
>>
vim unironically. I have no idea how I got to this point
>>
>>61689250
Emacs, I used to use gedit until I realised how much it sucks.
GCC with the right flags is fine.

>>61689322
>It's currently proprietary
Why would anyone use it?
>>
>>61689397

I know Gedit is no longer maintained but it is the first editor I used that has lots of great features and is easy to use.

The only compiler I have used is GCC it is very simple to use and compiles for quite alot of programming languages.
>>
Notepad++ for windows, nano for editing stuff quickly and Geany for bigger projects.
>>
>>61689359
language server protocol is necessary future if we keep coming with 10 new languages every year
>>
>>61689532
Not ready yet see >>61689376
>>
>>61689806
Sounds cool then. Good luck.
Do you at least have an empty repo that you are going to upload it to once it's done? I would not like to miss its release.
>>
Emacs - 1.8 million loc, (not so) little OS running in userspace. Only fool would run it as root, but it also wants you to use it as ssh client. Both TUI and GUI broken because it tries to emulate some ancient terminal in it. Keybingings for archaic keyboard layout. Has some god-tier packages, which is mostly the only reason to use it.

Vim - 730k loc, still bloat. People tr too hard turning it into IDE. I've heard complains about vimscript being useless. Personally hate the modes.

Neovim - "only" 560k loc, plugins can be written in lua and python as well.

micro - not so micro with 520k loc, written in Go. Lua plugins, actually good terminal front-end. Not emacsy or vi-like.

nano - 80 loc, bload with surprisingly many features you won't ever use. But enough to be confident when running it as root. regex-based syntax highlighting is slow and buggy.

ne - 30k loc, has some simple plugins, pretty nice

mg - 15k loc. OpenBSD's emacsy simple editor for those who don't like vi-like. It's for clear text and C (some tags functionalities etc.), isn't lisp engine nor extensible (has macros). Has some issues with unicode characters. No syntax highlighting.

traditional vi - 30k loc, but mostly not installed anymore and just symlinked into vim
>>
>>61689359
It's actually a good idea
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-LSP-Patch-Proposal
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/696pv1/rms_supports_language_server_protocol_integration/
>>
>>61689823
Emacs is extremely modular. You do not have to install things that you do not need. It's 1.8 million loc because it contains many popular packages in its source.
Also because most of it is written in elisp I would not be worried about vulnerabilities that are caused by UB.

>Only fool would run it as root
Not all code runs at the same time. RMS along with many emacs hackers did a good work on protecting against vulnerabilities that get triggered when opening text files.

>Both TUI and GUI broken
No

>Keybingings for archaic keyboard layout
Awesome keybingings and you are free to change them.

>plugins can be written in lua and python as well.
Both shit.

There are also GNU Zile and nvi if you care about minimalism.
>>
Sublime because I don't like Vim and can't be bothered to learn emacs.
>>
I used to use Gedit but now VSCode because it's easier with bigger project and can easily pull/push scm whilst I'm working.
>>
File: tetris score 2.6k.png (14KB, 925x574px) Image search: [Google]
tetris score 2.6k.png
14KB, 925x574px
Emacs, I love a lot about it.
for quick small things I tend to use mg

I used to boot into emacs for a while. did really small amount of web browsing, RSS, mail, git, etc. irc was the main thing, I still run irc bots through emacs using emacs lisp on an old laptop.

>you're listing everything a text editor shouldnt do I want a text editor not a full OS

emacs can do almost everything because of elisp and c. its a personal choice to do these things, why? because I can keep the environment and keybindings and know how to hack those things and know how extensible it will be. for actually editing text I love it even more. quick macro recording/saving, comes with nice build in features and marmalade and melpa has tons to offer (even github and savannah have some cool gems), does it miss something you want you could make it yourself. its a lisp machine/ there is a big community of not wizards but emacs sorcerers willing to help and tons of help online.

end conclusion is it for everybody?
no far from for everybody, I think I'd suggest something like sublime or atom to new or searching people.
there are plenty of negatives that come with emacs too but whatever glad we have choices in this world
>>
>>61689250
I used emacs but switched to VS code because it's "fast" enough on a ssd and have a few features emacs don't have out of the box.
What convinced me to change was all of the bugs and hard to fix problems the windows port of emacs has, like the great pain in the ass openssl is for example.
>>
>>61689823
>Only fool would run it as root
>what is TRAMP
>>
Vim/Neovim, mainly because it speeds up my workflow so much, and I don't even know many ex commands thus far.
>>
Ive tried to like emacs, and have used it many times, but I just hate it. I use vscode or vim. nano seems alright but I already have vim muscle memory.
>>
>>61690631
>but I already have vim muscle memory
Consider Emacs with evil-mode.
>>
>>61689250
Neovim
>>
>>61690646
I have. I still hate it
>>
i like acme, joe and ne. it'd be interesting to see clones of bbedit and borland turbo C's editor.
>>
>>61689250
IntelliJ for big stuff/whole projects, kate for writing, vim for editing/ssh.
>>
terminal text editing: vim
general text editing: atom.io or sublime
IDE: intellij
>>
>>61689250
Nano/pluma

Somebody post the editor learning curves
>>
>>61689250
gedit and nano
>>
>>61689376
>>61689322
Rust is the future; don't listen to what C purists say. GTK though doesn't sound good but if you're doing Linux only probably it's fine. Good luck regardless.
>>
>>61692690
>Rust is the future
lol
>>
>>61692715
xd
>>
>>61689823
This isn't far off. I'm afraid running Emacs as root. I use Zile instead which is similar to mg.
>>
>>61689397
>>>61689557
it seems they removed the unmantained part
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit
>>
>>61692690
rust is so futuristic it will never be complete!
>>
>>61689250
nano
>>
>>61689823
gona try that micro meme
>>
>>61692758
You can just use TRAMP to edit shit as root if you like. Zile does look pretty neat though.
>>
>>61689250
Vim or TextEdit
>>
>>61689250
Geany
>>
>>61690724
This.
>>
>>61689250
Gedit for notes
Nano for configs
Sublime for poor attempts at scripting
>>
File: download.png (8KB, 282x179px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
8KB, 282x179px
>>61689603

Daily reminder
NP++ is made by a communist sandniggers friend
>>
>>61698275
translate the image plox
>>
>>61698324
It asks people who voted for a specific French political party to uninstall this from their computers.
>>
>>61698482
I'm somewhat annoyed but I'm too lazy to replace NP++ with something else and get used to it, so whatever.
>>
I don't like vim. What are some good emacs tutorials?
>>
>>61698275
>Désinstalles instead of désinstalle
Can't even write proper French, no wonder
>>
>>61698324
"Uninstall Notepad++ if you voted for FN (french political party)"
"I do not care about losing users and I want you to know:
Your Notepad++ is written by an immigrant, fuck you"
That's the gist of it anyway, my French isn't as good as it used to be.
>>
>>61698275
kek j'utilise vim
>vim.org
have fun my nigga ;)
>>
Vs code
>>
>>61698275
>FN
They don't deserve a single voter.
>>
>>61689250
I use Pluma

it does what I need it to do without all the bullshit vim and emacs tries to force on me.
>>
Sublime Text until I get more RAM in my aging thinkpad. Then VS Code maybe
>>
File: marine9.jpg (56KB, 338x423px) Image search: [Google]
marine9.jpg
56KB, 338x423px
>>61699996
sounds like a salty algerian salafi supremacist. if not, clearly a sympathiser thereof.

>>61701302
do you enjoy ethnic destruction and terrorism?
>>
Leafpad and thats it, nothing more or less
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.